Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mr Soul Mr Soul is offline

Default Need advice: audio for live video

In the past when I've recorded audio for live video, I have carted my
DAW, audio interface, monitor, etc. to gigs and recorded it in 8
tracks. I then sync the audio up to the video and viola - I've gotten
pretty good results. I can certainly do this again.

However, I'd like to see if there's some easier way to get reasonable
audio for a video shoot. Alternatives I can think of:

- just shoot the video and use the audio from the camera's mic
(easiest)
- run the board and/or AT4050 mic into the camera (in stereo)
- record using just the AT4050 (I would need a phantom power source to
do this.
- get an portable, digital recorder and record with that
- bring my DAW
- any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Mike C
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mr Soul wrote:
In the past when I've recorded audio for live video, I have carted my
DAW, audio interface, monitor, etc. to gigs and recorded it in 8
tracks. I then sync the audio up to the video and viola - I've gotten
pretty good results. I can certainly do this again.

However, I'd like to see if there's some easier way to get reasonable
audio for a video shoot. Alternatives I can think of:

Video of what? A band? A talking head? Something else?

- just shoot the video and use the audio from the camera's mic
(easiest)

This is very bad.

- run the board and/or AT4050 mic into the camera (in stereo)

This can work but unfortunately most consumer cameras have nasty AGC that
cannot be disabled. If you have a decent camera you can run an ambient
mike and a board feed into two channels and mix later on.

- record using just the AT4050 (I would need a phantom power source to
do this.

The 4050 is not what I would choose as an ambient mike and I suspect you will
be disappointed with that.

- get an portable, digital recorder and record with that
- bring my DAW

Both of these are fine ideas. If you can live with a final mono mix, you
can probably survive with just a mike feed and a PA feed and mix in post.

The better the PA quality, the easier it is. The worse the PA, the harder.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mr Soul Mr Soul is offline

On May 11, 1:29*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Mr Soul wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the comments.

It's a band.

can probably survive with just a mike feed and a PA feed and mix in post.

Just to clarify - you are saying run the PA feed half of the stereo
feed and an ambient mic in the other half? Unfortunately, the 4050 is
the best mic I have at my disposal for this task.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mr Soul wrote:
can probably survive with just a mike feed and a PA feed and mix in post.

Just to clarify - you are saying run the PA feed half of the stereo
feed and an ambient mic in the other half?

Right. Then mix the two. Some amount of delay on the PA feed may be needed
to make it sound right though.

Unfortunately, the 4050 is the best mic I have at my disposal for this task.

Well, try it in omni mode and put it up fairly close, then.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

"Mr Soul":
Mr Soul wrote:

[...]

As I understand Scott, yes.
PA mixes are often in mono, so you wonīt lose anything, if you just take L
or R for the cam-feed. Then, add a mono ambience mic for the room sound and
record this on the other side of the camīs stereo input.

Unfortunately, the 4050 is
the best mic I have at my disposal for this task.

Sorry, I canīt recommend a better mic - others here probably can, though...
Anyway, if thereīs a PA rental service in your area, you might be able to
check out one or various mics, without having to buy one.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

On 2011-05-11 (ScottDorsey) said:
Mr Soul wrote:
In the past when I've recorded audio for live video, I have carted
my DAW, audio interface, monitor, etc. to gigs and recorded it in 8
tracks. I then sync the audio up to the video and viola - I've
gotten pretty good results. I can certainly do this again.

snip
The 4050 is not what I would choose as an ambient mike and I
suspect you will be disappointed with that.

I"d agree, and most consumer cameras, as the man notes suck
in the audio department thanks to agc that can't be
defeated.

- get an portable, digital recorder and record with that
- bring my DAW

Both of these are fine ideas. If you can live with a final mono
mix, you can probably survive with just a mike feed and a PA feed
and mix in post.

Maybe so but if you really want to get it good, bring your
daw, a small mixer and mic splits, that way you can make
sure you're getting what the recording needs, as well as do
whatever suits for ambience mics.

The better the PA quality, the easier it is. The worse the PA, the
harder.

wHich is why for these things I always like my own feed
directly from the mics that the pa is using, if I want
something different I can always mic an element of the
performance differently, but if the mic placement and type
is reasonable I can just go with it, and not have to worry
about the experience or ears of the pa operator, or the
quality of the system.

The higher the expectations from the product you'll be
creating the more control you want. IF it's just for folks
to listen to and pass around to a few friends you might make
compromises, but these days, such limited distribution
recordings often seem to find their way onto youtube and
such places. IF you have to compromise the sound tell the
performers that if it goes onto the net for the public that
because they asked you to do it on the cheap to not put your
name on it grin.

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
ON site audio in the southland: see
www.gatasound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mr Soul" wrote in message

In the past when I've recorded audio for live video, I
have carted my DAW, audio interface, monitor, etc. to
gigs and recorded it in 8 tracks. I then sync the audio
up to the video and viola - I've gotten pretty good
results. I can certainly do this again.

However, I'd like to see if there's some easier way to
get reasonable audio for a video shoot. Alternatives I
can think of:

- just shoot the video and use the audio from the
camera's mic (easiest)
- run the board and/or AT4050 mic into the camera (in
stereo)
- record using just the AT4050 (I would need a phantom
power source to do this.
- get an portable, digital recorder and record with that
- bring my DAW
- any other ideas?

This is what I do:

Get an portable, digital recorder and record with that, possibly using an
external mic. My portable recorder is a Microtrack, which runs under $200
but has excellent sound quality and works with just about any mic. It also
has an easy way to use external batteries with it.

Some portable recorders provide full 48 volt phantom power. Others are very
close to 48 volts, and thus work with just about every mic that needs
phantom, but not ever last one of them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mr Soul Mr Soul is offline

Maybe so but if you really want to get it good, bring your
daw, a small mixer and mic splits, that way you can make
sure you're getting what the recording needs, as well as do
whatever suits for ambience mics.

Right. That's what I've done in the past, and as I mentioned, I've
gotten very good results.

The higher the expectations from the product you'll be
creating the more control you want.

Good point.

Thanks again.

Mike C.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mr Soul Mr Soul is offline

Well, try it in omni mode and put it up fairly close, then.
Yes - that's exactly what I was going to do. Thanks.

Mike C