Oceans 2K

Default Differences In Audio Components That I've Heard And Not Heard

Each solid-state amplifier has it's own sound when all other aspects are
held equal.

Some will argue this point but IMHO amplifier design is one of the most
interesting variables in hi-fi.

Cables ? This thread is going to get real big, real quick!

"Bob" wrote in message
Okay. I don't claim to be an expert, but I am an audio hobbyist.
I've been listening to high-end equipment for some time (at my home
and at different high-end shops) and I'll tell you what I've heard and
not heard.

1. Speakers. YES. I can clearly hear a difference between speakers.

2. Turntables. I remember listening to a comparison of a Linn Sondek
system vs. a SOTA turntable with a Sumiko arm (they both had different
cartridges, I can't remember what they were) and I think that I heard
a difference, so YES.

3. Digital components (transports, processors, upsamplers, etc.).
I"ve listened, and for the life of me I can't tell the difference
between a $200 CD player and a $2000 one, so NO. I haven't heard
DVD-Audio or SACD though.

4. Electronics (preamps and amps). Hmm. As far as solid state
electronics go, I really can't hear a difference. However, I swear
that I think that I can hear a difference between it and tubed
electronics. YES.

5. Cables. NO. I think that this whole area of high-end is pure
B.S.

So there you have it. Any comments?

Stewart Pinkerton

On 31 Mar 2004 17:53:08 GMT, "Oceans 2K"
wrote:

Each solid-state amplifier has it's own sound when all other aspects are
held equal.

No, they don't. It has been proven beyond reasonable doubt on many,
many occasions that all nominally competent amps sound the same, when
you don't *know* which one is connected.

Some will argue this point but IMHO amplifier design is one of the most
interesting variables in hi-fi.

Sure it is - but it ain't rocket science! And there are of course many
interesting and varied ways to achieve the aim of sonic transparency.

Cables ? This thread is going to get real big, real quick!

Why? We have yet to see one single solitary example of evidence that
cable sound exists, despite the presence of a large pot of cash
waiting to be picked up by anyone who can do it.

Wylie Williams

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote

It has been proven beyond reasonable doubt on many,
many occasions that all nominally competent amps sound the same.

This is an assertion seen often on RAHE. It sounds reasonable to me,
but not so straightforward and simple as it sounds. I would like to satisfy
my mind on my system's amp with as small an expenditure as possible. Last
year, thinking it would be nice to learn the criteria for selecting an amp,
I started a thread on RAHE asking how to identify "Nominally Competent"
amps. One would assume that on such a basic subject as this there would be
a set of objective measurements that established nominal competence, and
many RAHE members responded with suggestions re the appropriate specs. The
suggestions had some commonality, but were different enough to leave
considerable doubt. There were posts saying that there were such specs but
they were not available to the public. One of the best replies named brand
and models numbers and gave descriptions of the differences in sound between
many highly respected amps, which led me to wonder, if they sounded
different, if any were NC. One professional posted that he knew the
appropriate criteria but they were, like almost all his esoteric knowledge,
proprietary. (shades of Top Gun - "I could tell you but I'd have to kill
you")
It would appear that it is not as simple as I hoped to determine
whether an amplifier qualifies as nominally competent. So while I
appreciate the idea that all these "NC" amps sound the same, we all seem to
be on our own in finding which amps qualify. Even if someone were willing
and able to conducts tests he would have to have one reference amp that was
known to be NC. Then he would enter the dark realm of test methodology.
That prospect is daunting enough to make one want to buy an audiophile
magazine and check out the flavor of the month.

Wylie Williams
The Speaker and Stereo Store.

Bob Marcus

Wylie Williams wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote

It has been proven beyond reasonable doubt on many,
many occasions that all nominally competent amps sound the same.

This is an assertion seen often on RAHE. It sounds reasonable to me,
but not so straightforward and simple as it sounds. I would like to satisfy
my mind on my system's amp with as small an expenditure as possible. Last
year, thinking it would be nice to learn the criteria for selecting an
amp,
I started a thread on RAHE asking how to identify "Nominally Competent"
amps. One would assume that on such a basic subject as this there would be
a set of objective measurements that established nominal competence,

One would be wrong, then. "Nominally competent" means competent to drive a
particular load--in the case of audio, the ability to drive a particular set
of speakers in a particular room at a particular loudness level without
producing audible distortion.

Now, if we know all those things (speakers, room, loudness), presumably some
engineer could give you a good idea of how big an amp you'd need. But
"nominally competent" is not some abstract standard that amps either meet or
don't meet in all cases. A 20-watt amp might be quite competent driving a
little ported speaker and quite incompetent pushing a big, sealed subwoofer.

and
many RAHE members responded with suggestions re the appropriate specs. The
suggestions had some commonality, but were different enough to leave
considerable doubt. There were posts saying that there were such specs but
they were not available to the public. One of the best replies named brand
and models numbers and gave descriptions of the differences in sound
between
many highly respected amps, which led me to wonder, if they sounded
different, if any were NC.

If they all sounded different, no more than one was NC! Odds are the only
reason they all "sounded" different was because they all looked different.

One professional posted that he knew the
appropriate criteria but they were, like almost all his esoteric knowledge,
proprietary. (shades of Top Gun - "I could tell you but I'd have to kill
you")

Are you sure he wasn't just telling you that the information you want can't
be found on spec sheets?

It would appear that it is not as simple as I hoped to determine
whether an amplifier qualifies as nominally competent. So while I
appreciate the idea that all these "NC" amps sound the same, we all seem to
be on our own in finding which amps qualify.

Available (objective) evidence suggests that most modern solid state amps
are.

Even if someone were willing
and able to conducts tests he would have to have one reference amp that was
known to be NC. Then he would enter the dark realm of test methodology.
That prospect is daunting enough to make one want to buy an audiophile
magazine and check out the flavor of the month.

The information you want can't be found there, either.

Look, the task isn't nearly as difficult as you make it out to be. Plug it
in, and see if it works. By which I mean, take the amp home, insert it in
your system, put on a big orchestral recording, crank the volume up as high
as you'll ever want to crank it, and ask yourself, "Does this sound OK?" If
it does, the amp's competent.

bob

Oceans 2K

wow

Even my very hi-fi ignorant wife heard a difference when I swapped out my
defective amplifier with a mid-fi receiver.
Not first time I did that either.

So for the 20 years I've been swapping and trading I've been hearing things
!?! I need to see a shrink!

TC

wrote:

Each solid-state amplifier has it's own sound when all other aspects are
held equal.

No, they don't. It has been proven beyond reasonable doubt on many,
many occasions that all nominally competent amps sound the same, when
you don't *know* which one is connected.

Some will argue this point but IMHO amplifier design is one of the most
interesting variables in hi-fi.

Sure it is - but it ain't rocket science! And there are of course many
interesting and varied ways to achieve the aim of sonic transparency.

Cables ? This thread is going to get real big, real quick!

Why? We have yet to see one single solitary example of evidence that
cable sound exists, despite the presence of a large pot of cash
waiting to be picked up by anyone who can do it.

Wylie Williams

"Bob Marcus" wrote in
Look, the task isn't nearly as difficult as you make it out to be. Plug it
in, and see if it works. By which I mean, take the amp home, insert it in
your system, put on a big orchestral recording, crank the volume up as

high
as you'll ever want to crank it, and ask yourself, "Does this sound OK?"

If
it does, the amp's competent.

That would be a helpful answer to some people, but I never had a system
that didn't sound "OK". What I have now is "Pretty Good", which is three
notches above "OK" on my personal scale. It may be foolish to seek to have
as close to "Wonderful" as I can afford, but I accept this character flaw in
myself (and others) and persist in it. I conditionally accept my CD,
turntable and cables as sufficient. Before I get too crazy on speakers I
would like to assure myself that the sound quality and power output of my
amplification are not a limiting factor. The question of how to determine
if an amp is "nominally competent" seems to be the first step. Once the NC
question is answered I can seek the answer to the question "how much power
is enough to be sure I am extracting all the performance from whatever
speaker I end up with". Any money I save by not overspending on the amp can
be applied to the speakers.
.. The audiophile press persists in saying that you can get better and
better sound in amps by spending more and more money. Many RAHE members say
that a nominally competent amp can be had for comparatively modest cost.
Having sold low fi to mid fi for many years I know that there are many low
priced amps that definitely sound worse than their higher priced brethren.
Unfortunately I have too little experience with high end to know where the
point of "nominal competence" begins.

It would be very helpful if this term "nominally competent" has a meaning
that is definable and usable.

Wylie Williams

Bob Marcus

Wylie Williams wrote:

"Bob Marcus" wrote in
Look, the task isn't nearly as difficult as you make it out to be. Plug

it
in, and see if it works. By which I mean, take the amp home, insert it

in
your system, put on a big orchestral recording, crank the volume up as

high
as you'll ever want to crank it, and ask yourself, "Does this sound OK?"

If
it does, the amp's competent.

That would be a helpful answer to some people, but I never had a
system
that didn't sound "OK".

In that case, you've never had an amp that wasn't nominally competent. Why
is this so hard for you to accept?

What I have now is "Pretty Good", which is three
notches above "OK" on my personal scale. It may be foolish to seek to have
as close to "Wonderful" as I can afford, but I accept this character flaw
in
myself (and others) and persist in it. I conditionally accept my CD,
turntable and cables as sufficient. Before I get too crazy on speakers I
would like to assure myself that the sound quality and power output of my
amplification are not a limiting factor.

But whether or not your amp's power output is a limiting factor is
substantially dependent on your speakers (and your room, and how loud you
listen). You cannot answer that question before you've chosen your speakers.

The question of how to determine
if an amp is "nominally competent" seems to be the first step.

No. Choosing your speakers is the first step.

Once the NC
question is answered I can seek the answer to the question "how much power
is enough to be sure I am extracting all the performance from whatever
speaker I end up with".

Now I'm sure you don't get it. "Nominally competent" means, in essence, flat
frequency response and enough power. An amp isn't competent unless it can
deliver enough power.

Any money I save by not overspending on the amp can
be applied to the speakers.
. The audiophile press persists in saying that you can get better and
better sound in amps by spending more and more money.

Indeed they do, and lots of audiophiles believe them. Others don't, however,
and have offered some very good technical reasons why not.

Many RAHE members say
that a nominally competent amp can be had for comparatively modest cost.
Having sold low fi to mid fi for many years I know that there are many low
priced amps that definitely sound worse than their higher priced brethren.

This is often true when you know what the pricetag says. ;-)

I'd bet if you went back and compared those amps without knowing which was
which, you'd be a lot less definite.

Unfortunately I have too little experience with high end to know where the
point of "nominal competence" begins.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with price, for starters.

It would be very helpful if this term "nominally competent" has a meaning
that is definable and usable.

One more time: A nominally competent amplifier is one that delivers a signal
into a particular load (your speakers, your room, etc.) without audible
distortion--that is, with flat frequency response and minimal clipping.

Now, go out there and buy the best speakers you can afford.

bob

Bruce Abrams

"Oceans 2K" wrote in message
wow

Even my very hi-fi ignorant wife heard a difference when I swapped out my
defective amplifier with a mid-fi receiver.

The key here is that it was "defective". No one said all amps, broken or
otherwise, sound the same. The nominally competent qualifier exists
specifically to eliminate broken amps from the statement.

Not first time I did that either.

So for the 20 years I've been swapping and trading I've been hearing

things
!?! I need to see a shrink!

Depends on what you mean by hearing things.

*snip*

Harry Lavo

"Wylie Williams" wrote in message
"Bob Marcus" wrote in
[...]

Oh, it's definable.

If Stewart, Steven, Bob, or Tom can't hear a difference from their own amps
using dbt, then it's "nominally competent". If they do hear a difference,
it isn't.

Whether that's useful I leave up to you.

RBernst929

I'll try this one more time, for those of you in the "there is no difference"
school of amplifier design. Take one person's system at home. Replace just
the amplifier with different types. Listen. See if everyone agrees that the
resulting sound is identical, especially to the person's who owns and is
familiar with the system. If all amplifiers are "technically perfect" since
1950, there should be NO difference AT ALL in the sound. But, if there IS a
difference, whether it is qualifiable as to type (ie: more treble, less bass)
or whatever, then "all amplifiers sound the same" is wrong. -Bob Bernstein.

Bob Marcus

RBernst929 wrote:

I'll try this one more time, for those of you in the "there is no
difference"
school of amplifier design.

Who would that be?

Take one person's system at home. Replace just
the amplifier with different types. Listen. See if everyone agrees that
the
resulting sound is identical, especially to the person's who owns and is
familiar with the system. If all amplifiers are "technically perfect"
since
1950, there should be NO difference AT ALL in the sound. But, if there IS
difference, whether it is qualifiable as to type (ie: more treble, less
bass)
or whatever, then "all amplifiers sound the same" is wrong. -Bob
Bernstein.

No one's ever said that all amplifiers sound the same. Ever.

As for your little experiment, it's about as meaningful as pointing to the
sun rising in the east as proof that it revolves around the earth.

bob

Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy...n.asp?cid=3963

Wylie Williams

OK. I get it. If I don't hear any distortion it passes the test. Wow, I
had it all wrong. I thought that there was some objective verifiable
criteria. Now I can buy a $199 Kenwood receiver and be happy.
And all those kids who drive those boom cars have great equipment because
they don't hear any distortion.
This new subjective approach sounds great. Got to stop now; it's time to
got listen to some expensive cables.

Wylie Williams

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message
RBernst929 wrote:

[...]

Oceans 2K

No by defective I meant one day my Carver TFM-15 amplifier decided to not
turn on. To not miss a weekend of listening I inserted a Onkyo 2ch receiver
(6 mos old).

Carver is fixed. It was main power switch. Nothing to effect sound quality.
Digi-Key catalog and soldering iron fixed problem.

These are 2 mid-fi SS components which have quite different overall sound.

Have had numerous mid to higher end amplifiers in my system in years past.
Past ref speakers were NHT Super Ones and Paradigm Monitor 7 both which I
felt did a good job of revealing amplifier characteristics.

For one comparo, I traded brother's ADCOM GFA-545II for my Carver for a
month. Now that was a contrast.

I'm new to this forum...I am having a tough time believing that there are
intelligent audiophiles who believe SS amplifiers all have same subjective
sound.

"Bruce Abrams" wrote in message
"Oceans 2K" wrote in message
wow

Even my very hi-fi ignorant wife heard a difference when I swapped out

my
defective amplifier with a mid-fi receiver.

The key here is that it was "defective". No one said all amps, broken or
otherwise, sound the same. The nominally competent qualifier exists
specifically to eliminate broken amps from the statement.

Not first time I did that either.

So for the 20 years I've been swapping and trading I've been hearing

things
!?! I need to see a shrink!

Depends on what you mean by hearing things.

*snip*

Wylie Williams

I aplologize for my inept internet skills. Somehow on the post below I
seem to be replying to Bob Bernstein when I was replying to the Bob Marcus
post below. I also apololgize for the frivolus tone of my reply to Bob
Marcus, if not my dissatisfaction with the general idea that I got from his
post, which is that "plug it in and play it; if you don't hear distortion
it's as good as it gets". That sounds like a subjective answer, and was
asking for an objective answer.
Mind you, I have no objection to the subjective school of audiophilia,
as I have followed that path for years. But as RAHE has many committed and
persuasive adherents to the objective school I thought I would find out some
objective criteria for amp selection. But not too successfully. Noussaine,
for example, tells of his dozen or so amps that all sound the same to him.
I don't doubt that he ( as well as all the other adherents of the "if it's a
nominally competent amp it sounds like all the other nominally competent
amps" school ) has a great system and great ears, but that's no help to me.
I would like to find out the criteria for NC status. Mr. Marcus says "flat
frequency response and enough power" and "without audible distortion". I am
under the impression that flat frequency response is as common as dirt. As
far as "without audible distortion" goes I have considerable experience in
the mid-fi business and I know that the vast majority of healthy young males
with good hearing think anything that plays loud has "no audible
distortion". Or is it "no audible distortion as judged by a golden eared
listener"? Who certifies the goldenness of the ears? Certainly
professional audiophile reviewers would be the clear choice for experienced
golden ears, but they all say that even the best amps have very different
sounds. Perplexing!
Besides, if distortion is audible variation from the original sound
then then vast majority of reproduced sound I have heard in my life has been
audibly distorted. Sometimes more distorted, sometimes less, sometimes a few
moments of a convincing illusion, sometimes "euphonic coloration" (which I
definea s likeable distortion), and only occasionally apparently free of
distortion.
As for selecting the speaker first, that's an interesting thought.
And it's worth it's own thread. I thought I would try to settle the quality
issue first and deal with the quantity issue later. Besides, after selecting
a speaker I would have to choose an amp, so knowing the elusive criteria for
"nominally competent" would be the starting point, wouldn't it? Maybe I
have a better speaker than I know, but my amp is lacking.

Wylie Williams

[...]

RBernst929

I'm simply pointing out that if there is a DIFFERENCE in the resulting
sound
when changing one element of a system, that ratifies the merchandising
of
different components. It does'nt matter if we can measure the
difference or
not within amplifiers, as long as the resultant sound is changed at the
listening position, then there is sound reason for a consumer to choose
among
different products. These differences create preferances which are
legitimate
buying decisions among products. Indeed, this is why so many different
amplifiers exist. Some people on this newsgroup think all amplifiers
are
perfect since 1950 and hardly any improvement has taken place,
suggesting that
all sound differences are in our minds, or resulting from sighted
marketing
practices. It does'nt matter. The only thing that matters is the
resultant
change in sound at the listening position when one element of a system
is
changed. If there is a difference, then the consumer has a valid
purchase
choice. If there is no difference, then spending $20,000 on a high end
amplifier as opposed to a $200 amplifier offers no rational reason.
-Bob
Bernstein.

You have asked from a place of affirmed confusion a series of questions
about amps. That one has questions is good, that questions can be posed
about a thesis doesn't harm the thesis, and that one might not accept the
answers does nothing to the correctness of the thesis. The amp that
doesn't exceed it's specs for a given speaker, with regard to current
reserves, headroom, distortion, etc. will most likely not be different
from another similar amp in a listening alone test as to being able to
discriminate which is which. The concept of threshold comes in here also,
various amp artifacts which rise above a certain amplitude,ie. threshold,
can be percieved and those which do not can not; as established in tests
to determine such things. Various types of signal distortion are
examples. The concept often bantered about of "mid high" are meaningless
when the above conditions are met. A "mid" amp that doesn't exceed design
parameters nor produce artifacts above known thresholds can not by
listening tests alone be distingushed from those "high" amps often found
on "reccomended" lists. Amp performance is today a commodity available
from any number of brands which satisify the above. You mention nad,
others have mentioned adcom etc. and all serve as well as those amps with
the famious "high end" marketing reputations and consumers of editoral
inches in the hi fi mags. Design folk have learned how to produce amps
which meet specs and threshold levels so as to make them to be percieved
the same using listening tests alone.

"practices. It does'nt matter. The only thing that matters is the
resultant change in sound at the listening position when one element of a
system is changed. If there is a difference, then the consumer has a
valid purchase choice. If there is no difference, then spending $20,000
on a high end amplifier as opposed to a $200 amplifier offers no rational
reason."

Amen brother, and when only one thing was changed, a cloth covering
connections so which amp is active in a comparsion is unknown, the
differences disappear.
Michael Scarpitti

wrote:

Each solid-state amplifier has it's own sound when all other aspects are
held equal.

No, they don't. It has been proven beyond reasonable doubt on many,
many occasions that all nominally competent amps sound the same, when
you don't *know* which one is connected.

This is a circular argument, Stewart. What are 'nominally competent
amps'? Ones that sound identical? If an amp sounds different, then is
it no longer a 'nominally competent amp'?

What you're arguing is that 'all nominally competent amps (amps that
sound the same) same sound the same'.

Bob Marcus

Wylie Williams wrote:

I aplologize for my inept internet skills. Somehow on the post below
seem to be replying to Bob Bernstein when I was replying to the Bob Marcus
post below. I also apololgize for the frivolus tone of my reply to Bob
Marcus, if not my dissatisfaction with the general idea that I got from his
post, which is that "plug it in and play it; if you don't hear distortion
it's as good as it gets". That sounds like a subjective answer, and was
asking for an objective answer.

Yeah, but it was a "subjective" answer based on my objective answer.

[...]

Seems so.

As
far as "without audible distortion" goes I have considerable experience in
the mid-fi business and I know that the vast majority of healthy young
males
with good hearing think anything that plays loud has "no audible
distortion". Or is it "no audible distortion as judged by a golden eared
listener"? Who certifies the goldenness of the ears? Certainly
professional audiophile reviewers would be the clear choice for experienced
golden ears, but they all say that even the best amps have very different
sounds. Perplexing!

Who cares who certifies anything? Your ears are the only ones that matter.
If the amp doesn't seem to be distorting to you, then it's good enough for
you, right?

Besides, if distortion is audible variation from the original sound
then then vast majority of reproduced sound I have heard in my life has
been
audibly distorted. Sometimes more distorted, sometimes less, sometimes a
few
moments of a convincing illusion, sometimes "euphonic coloration" (which I
definea s likeable distortion), and only occasionally apparently free of
distortion.

Actually, you've never heard rerpoduced sound that wasn't distorted. The
question is, what caused the distortion? Probably the speakers, not the amp.

As for selecting the speaker first, that's an interesting thought.
And it's worth it's own thread. I thought I would try to settle the quality
issue first and deal with the quantity issue later. Besides, after
selecting
a speaker I would have to choose an amp, so knowing the elusive criteria
for
"nominally competent" would be the starting point, wouldn't it? Maybe I
have a better speaker than I know, but my amp is lacking.

Maybe (although probably not). But unless you've got a fair bit of measuring
equipment and the know-how to use them, you can't determine whether an amp
is competent to do what you're asking it to do. Now, if you know what kind
of a load your speakers present, and how powerful your amp is into a load
like that, and how big a room you're trying to fill, you can make a
reasonable assessment. But there's no measurement that's going to tell you,
"54 watts isn't enough, but 55 watts is."

That's why even objectivists have to trust their ears. (We just don't trust
them when they're telling us something we know can't be true!)

bob

Bob Marcus

Oceans 2K wrote:

I'm new to this forum...I am having a tough time believing that there are
intelligent audiophiles who believe SS amplifiers all have same subjective
sound.

Welcome. Yes, we're a pretty unusual bunch. To be a bit more precise, some
of us believe that most SS amps are indistinguishable when they are not
pushed beyond their capabilities. (Note that there are a few key qualifiers
in that sentence.) And when amps do sound different, we expect there to be a
straightforward engineering explanation for the difference (e.g., one amp is
clipping, one amp's output impedance is high enough to affect frequency
response, etc.)

One thing you need to understand is what we mean by "sonically
indistinguishable." What we mean is that you cannot tell them apart when you
don't know which one is which. There have been a number of experiments that
show that people may perceive differences between amps, but when you cover
the amps so they don't know which is which, those differences disappear.

The theory (and there's a substantial body of research supporting this
theory) is that seeing that two things are different influences how you hear
them. We've had raging debates about this, which you'll discover if you hang
around long enough.

Note that we aren't saying that the amps are identical. We're saying that
the differences among them are so small that the human ear (which has its
limits as a test device) can't detect them. And we're saying that when you
hear two things that your ear really can't tell apart, you are liable to
hear them as different anyway, because you brain takes into account visual
and other information when it makes that "same-different" determination.

bob

Nousaine

"Wylie Williams"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote

[...]

Nominally competent is easy. +/- 0.1 dB 100 to 10,000 Hz with less
than 1% clipping and no measurable odd stuff like a shut-down with
protection into the speaker in question. That's never been a secret.

Ban

wrote:
[...]

Being an analog circuit designer, I know many different possibilities of
making a power amplifier.
You can use MosFets or BJTs in the O/P stage, for example a couple of
expensive complementary hand selected Sanken transistors (2SA1216, 2SC2922)
or get a good power IC like the TDA7293V. On the other hand there are cheap
quasi complementary stages at a fraction of the cost. The same is true for
capacitors and opamps.
Most characteristics show up in measurement data, but what really is the
sonic difference between 0.0002% and 0.05% distortion or IM?
We just have the so called "Hi-Fi" criterion, which at its time was a
challenge, but is now satisfied by almost any equipment. Despite some
attempts like THX there has been no other qualification of high-end vs. good
(or whatever) distinction, which would allow the user to categorize his
gear. The only data he has is the price-tag, and this has been abused by
many companies, so credibility is low. So it comes down to Brand names, and
that is what the industry wants(see the Bose thread).

I myself feel in the same dilemma, even with all the electronic knowledge
and experience, because I really cannot say where the standards have to be
put. It comes down to subjective listening, which apparently gives different
results as we can see in all these posts here. I learned to be careful to
avoid prejudices based on beliefs which lead to simple black/white
categorizing like "all amps sound equal".
I have used a Behringer small mixer to convert unbalanced to balanced lines,
and there certainly is a tiny little change of sound if you use the channel
inputs or the tape return inputs (IMO the latter sound "better"). It is
difficult to discover, but since you can switch back and forth with just 2
buttons simultaneously pressed, it is a relativly easy comparison. Now-
there should not be any difference, but there is. I did not verify this by
measurement, but I believe it should be possible. Maybe some opamp is
oscillating at a very high frequency or whatever, with a normal loudspeaker
measuring system(DLSApro) I could not find a difference though.

I would have categorized myself belonging to the "objectivists", but after
this experience I have become careful with my judgement.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy
Harry Lavo

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message
Oceans 2K wrote:

[...]

So long as Bob is giving you a basic rundown on what we call the
"objectivist" position here on RAHE, let me fill you in on one key aspect he
doesn't cover.

The *way* that objectivists determine their is no difference is through
double-blind a-b (preference) or a-b-x (difference) testing. The only
problem is, they have never verified that the tests themselves don't throw
the user into a different evaluative mode whereby the ear-brain construct
that turns sound into hearing musice doesn't lose track of what is going on
(in other words, loose a musical frame of reference as one would have when
doing ordinary evaluative testing.) The objectivists simply ignore this
inconvenient fact, and instead insist that since this type of testing is
used in other fields and in audiometric measurement (simple two-dimensional
signal testing), it has been proven.

Look at it this way:

1) Everybody who thinks amps or cd players sound somewhat different is wrong
and suffering from bias and delusion, or

2) the chosen testing methodology itself is flawed.

At this point there is no definitive evidence one way or the other...so move
forward but tread with care and don't ignore common sense.

Oceans 2K

OK, I am starting to see your POV. But I will respectfully agree to
disagree. I remember many articles on this topic back when AUDIO Magazine
was around. ( I read that mag cover to cover every month! Sad to see it go
years back.)

I notice one of the conditions of the "test" is flat freq response in human
audio spectrum (20hz-20Khz). Most of the mid-fi components I swear sound
different...do. But that is because the output signal has some bumps and
dips at specific frequencies. That Onkyo I spoke of had a definite bump at
about 150Hz causing my normally flat NHT 2.5i's to give a James Taylor
concert some West Coast rap-like boom. That's what my wife noticed.

So I see the objectivist's point. Esp the psychological aspect. My only
hang up is: don't most amplifier designers put a sonic signature (aka: bumps
and dips in freq resp) on their designs? This would explain the glaring
differences when I inserted my brother's Adcom 545 into my normal Carver
TFM-15 setup.

Excellent debate.

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message
Oceans 2K wrote:

[...]

available.

http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&...ave/direct/01/

Bob Marcus

Oceans 2K wrote:

OK, I am starting to see your POV. But I will respectfully agree to
disagree.

Fair enough, though hardly in the spirit of the proceedings! ;-)

I remember many articles on this topic back when AUDIO Magazine was
around. ( I read that mag cover to cover every month! Sad to see it go
years back.)

I notice one of the conditions of the "test" is flat freq response in human
audio spectrum (20hz-20Khz). Most of the mid-fi components I swear sound
different...do. But that is because the output signal has some bumps and
dips at specific frequencies. That Onkyo I spoke of had a definite bump at
about 150Hz causing my normally flat NHT 2.5i's to give a James Taylor
concert some West Coast rap-like boom. That's what my wife noticed.

Really? You actually measured this? I'm not a measurer, myself, but people
who are tell me that most name-brand SS amps are pretty much ruler-flat
these days. They'd certainly be flatter than any speaker, including that
NHT. (That's no knock on a fine speaker, by the way.)

So I see the objectivist's point. Esp the psychological aspect. My only
hang up is: don't most amplifier designers put a sonic signature (aka:
bumps and dips in freq resp) on their designs? This would explain the
glaring differences when I inserted my brother's Adcom 545 into my normal
Carver TFM-15 setup.

Well, you'd have to measure both of them to know for sure. As for sonic
signatures, I'm sure some do. Others just do a lousy job of engineering, and
get one as a matter of course. But producing an amp with flat FR is not
rocket science (just audio science), and you really have to wonder why
anyone would do otherwise. If you want sonic signatures like that, you
should buy a flat amp and an equalizer, and roll your own.

Excellent debate.

You ARE new here. ;-)

bob

Harry Lavo wrote:

The *way* that objectivists determine their is no difference is through
double-blind a-b (preference) or a-b-x (difference) testing. The only
problem is, they have never verified that the tests themselves don't throw
the user into a different evaluative mode whereby the ear-brain construct
that turns sound into hearing musice doesn't lose track of what is going on
(in other words, loose a musical frame of reference as one would have when
doing ordinary evaluative testing.) The objectivists simply ignore this
inconvenient fact, and instead insist that since this type of testing is
used in other fields and in audiometric measurement (simple two-dimensional
signal testing), it has been proven.

The inconvenient fact that you don't mention is that if there is no change
in signal due to acoustic stimulus at the auditory nerve before it gets to
the brain, the 'ear-brain construct' is IRRELEVANT.

When this is raised, it is rather amusing about how you then handwave about
'hearing below threshold,' based on an old paper that no one else has found
interesting enough to even try to reproduce the results. In the meantime,
the evidence against your position continues to mount.

Look at it this way:

1) Everybody who thinks amps or cd players sound somewhat different is wrong
and suffering from bias and delusion, or

This is distortion of the so-called 'objectivist position' and you know it.

2) the chosen testing methodology itself is flawed.

Speculation only. Name a serious auditory researcher that takes that
position.

At this point there is no definitive evidence one way or the other...so move
forward but tread with care and don't ignore common sense.

Common sense would indicate that claiming that humans can hear below a threshold
that has been known and verified countless times since the 19th C is
something that should be taken with skepticism.

How does the explanation of the success/repeatability/predictive power of
controled listening alone testing differ from those apologists for
astrology, medical diagnosis by reading head bumps, telekinesis and a very
long list of other schools of explaining physical reality when faced by
emperical contridictions? The below seems always, and is diagnostic of, a
last ditch attempt to hold onto long held beliefs whose empirical support
has fallen away? If the below school of explanation for the failure under
listening alone for many beliefs to to be sustained, it must differentiate
itself convincingly from esp and other such expressed reasons why their
models also fail and which use selfsame kinds of explanations therein.

"problem is, they have never verified that the tests themselves don't
throw
the user into a different evaluative mode whereby the ear-brain construct
that turns sound into hearing musice doesn't lose track of what is going
on
(in other words, loose a musical frame of reference as one would have when
doing ordinary evaluative testing.) The objectivists simply ignore
thisinconvenient fact, and instead insist that since this type of testing
is
used in other fields and in audiometric measurement (simple
two-dimensional
signal testing), it has been proven.

Look at it this way:

1) Everybody who thinks amps or cd players sound somewhat different is
wrong
and suffering from bias and delusion, or
"
Harry Lavo

wrote in message ...
Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

And you ignore the fact that the brains auditory processing is not simple
physical registering, but also pattern matching and the ability to make
sense out of things that in and of themselves, in isolation, may not make
sense or even "register".

When this is raised, it is rather amusing about how you then handwave

about
'hearing below threshold,' based on an old paper that no one else has

found
interesting enough to even try to reproduce the results. In the meantime,
the evidence against your position continues to mount.

First, that's an entirely different subject. And the paper is only three
years old. And peer reviewed. Nothing has been offered in similarly
peer-reviewed rebutal. That hasn't stopped RAHE objectivist handwaving and
harrumping.

Look at it this way:

1) Everybody who thinks amps or cd players sound somewhat different is

wrong
and suffering from bias and delusion, or

This is distortion of the so-called 'objectivist position' and you know

it.

I'm sorry, I forot: "or the equipment is defective" or "is being driven in
ways inappropriate for its intended use".

2) the chosen testing methodology itself is flawed.

Speculation only. Name a serious auditory researcher that takes that
position.

As far as I (and others of my persuasion can tell, there has never been
serious auditory research conducted either in support or against the use of
dbt abx'ng (or even a-b'ng) as a testing device *FOR THE OPEN ENDED
EVALAUTION OF AUDIO COMPONENTS*. (The emphasis is added because you and
others often conveniently forget that that is what we subjectivists are
talking about....not two dimensional testing of artifacts or signal levels).
And since you folks are the ones claiming the test techniques are valid, it
is up to you to do the confirming, peer-reviewed testing that shows that it
is - *FOR THIS INTENDED PURPOSE*.

At this point there is no definitive evidence one way or the other...so

move
forward but tread with care and don't ignore common sense.

Common sense would indicate that claiming that humans can hear below a

threshold
that has been known and verified countless times since the 19th C is
something that should be taken with skepticism.

Bruce Abrams

wrote:

Each solid-state amplifier has it's own sound when all other aspects

are
held equal.

No, they don't. It has been proven beyond reasonable doubt on many,
many occasions that all nominally competent amps sound the same, when
you don't *know* which one is connected.

This is a circular argument, Stewart. What are 'nominally competent
amps'? Ones that sound identical? If an amp sounds different, then is
it no longer a 'nominally competent amp'?

Mr. Nousaine defines nominally competent later in this thread as follows:
+/- 0.1 dB 100 to 10,000 Hz with less than 1% clipping and no measurable odd
stuff like a shut-down with protection into the speaker in question.

Building an amplifier that meets such a standard is no longer a major
engineering feat. The position is that any such amplifier driving a given
load will sound no different than any other such amplifier driving the same
load.

What you're arguing is that 'all nominally competent amps (amps that
sound the same) same sound the same'.

Nobody has circularly defined nominally competent as you claim. It is yet
another strawman argument that you have erected.

Wylie Williams

"Nousaine" wrote

Nominally competent is easy. +/- 0.1 dB 100 to 10,000 Hz with less
than 1% clipping and no measurable odd stuff like a shut-down with
protection into the speaker in question. That's never been a secret.

Is it really that easy? It's hard to believe that if I find a $149 Kenwood
receiver that meets those criteria, use a high level input so it functions
as a power amplifier, it should sound the same as a power amplifier from an
established and respected maker, like Parasound or B&K.
And if it doesn't the same?

Wylie Williams

Harry Lavo wrote:

And you ignore the fact that the brains auditory processing is not simple
physical registering, but also pattern matching and the ability to make
sense out of things that in and of themselves, in isolation, may not make
sense or even "register".

Ignore? Really?

There has to be physical registering before the brain can interpet something
coming from a sensory mechanism. (in this case, the auditory nerve) It is
astonishing that people think there is something mysterious going on here.
Nobody seems to disagree about this except some 'high-end' audiophiles that
reject scientific theories that contradict their personal opinions. The
irony is a delicious example of the human condition.

I couldn't agree more that the processing that goes on AFTER the initial
detection is something that is little understood and varies greatly from
person to person. It is wonderfully fascinating in the extreme.

Conflating the two events has not been productive to increasing the
knowledge of the latter. In fact, it inhibits it. Do you really want to
caused pain when one got burned?

Stewart Pinkerton

On 5 Apr 2004 22:59:57 GMT, "Wylie Williams"
wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote

Nominally competent is easy. +/- 0.1 dB 100 to 10,000 Hz with less
than 1% clipping and no measurable odd stuff like a shut-down with
protection into the speaker in question. That's never been a secret.

Is it really that easy? It's hard to believe that if I find a $149 Kenwood
receiver that meets those criteria, use a high level input so it functions
as a power amplifier, it should sound the same as a power amplifier from an
established and respected maker, like Parasound or B&K.

You might also have to look at HF IMD or switching distortion, but
otherwise, yes. One of the best amps I ever came across was the Yamaha
AX-570, which cost around $400 in the mid-90s. For lower levels or
easier speaker loads, your $149 Kenwood might well be just fine.

And if it doesn't the same?

Then there will be an easily measurable problem.

Oceans 2K

Bob, no didn't measure... just assuming due to what I described as an
audible bump in mid-bass. We ARE talking about a $300 2-ch receiver here.
I guess when I picture the objectivist POV really being bullet-proof is say
a Krell vs a Bryston -or- B&K vs NAD. You know, comparing apples to
apples. I've always been under the impression that as price goes down so
does sonic integrity (w/ref to flat FR). At $300 Onkyo may have had to make
some concessions in the frequency response arena. To appeal to it's
end-users (Circuit City and BestBuy showroom shoppers) it boosted at 150Hz
and say 14Khz. (no, i dont have that hokey lo-fi loudness button
engaged...ha..ha) Again this is all speculation and I assume that the more
respected names in audio do not design to this skewed std.

As for lousy engineering, I agree. I see it all day as an EE. Sometimes I
wonder: What was company/designer X thinking ? From the front lines I can
confidently say: money talks and quality design engineering walks.

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message
Oceans 2K wrote:

[...]

Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar Â- FREE!

Harry Lavo

wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

We hear small signals below the noise floor. What makes you think that a
certain "pattern" in the audible spectrum may not cause the brain to look
for (direct) the ear to find/fill in missing parts of the pattern that it
might not respond to as a pure two-dimensional signal. You don't know.
Neither do I. But it is certainly not beyond the capability of the brain,
as complex as it clearly is.

So until you can show affirmatively that when used to evaluate components in
open ended listening, blind abx difference testing or blind a-b comparison
testing leaves audio evaluation intact, there are those of us who will
continue to suspect the test. It's that simple.
Joseph Oberlander

Bob Marcus wrote:

Really? You actually measured this? I'm not a measurer, myself, but
people who are tell me that most name-brand SS amps are pretty much
ruler-flat these days. They'd certainly be flatter than any speaker,
including that NHT. (That's no knock on a fine speaker, by the way.)

Well, they are flat until they get hot, of course. Some good sounding
amplifiers become so-so when they get stressed or are run for more
than an hour or two at a time.

Michael Scarpitti

Bruce Abrams wrote in message news:rnicc.78740$w54.443873@attbi_s01...

This is a circular argument, Stewart. What are 'nominally competent
amps'? Ones that sound identical? If an amp sounds different, then is
it no longer a 'nominally competent amp'?

Mr. Nousaine defines nominally competent later in this thread as follows:
+/- 0.1 dB 100 to 10,000 Hz with less than 1% clipping and no measurable odd
stuff like a shut-down with protection into the speaker in question.

Building an amplifier that meets such a standard is no longer a major
engineering feat. The position is that any such amplifier driving a given
load will sound no different than any other such amplifier driving the same
load.

Nonsense. Rise time? TIM? Measurements of sine waves tell luttle if
anything about how an amp handles signals.

What you're arguing is that 'all nominally competent amps (amps that
sound the same) same sound the same'.

Nobody has circularly defined nominally competent as you claim. It is yet
another strawman argument that you have erected.

You have said 'all competent amps sound the same'. If one amp does
not, would you not define it as 'non-competent'? I brought up before
the case of the Sony TA-N88B that my friend heard with me 17 years
ago, and he was quite able to hear its distinct clarity.

Harry Lavo wrote:

We hear small signals below the noise floor.

That is well known. But if the noise itself is below threshold, anything
below it will also be inaudible. Why is this so difficult to understand?

What makes you think that a
certain "pattern" in the audible spectrum may not cause the brain to look
for (direct) the ear to find/fill in missing parts of the pattern that it
might not respond to as a pure two-dimensional signal.

Why on earth do you think that I don't? OF COURSE the brain does that!!!
Isn't that how melodic and chord progressions 'work?' What the brain doesn't
do is respond to signals from the auditory nerve that aren't happening!

So until you can show affirmatively that when used to evaluate components in
open ended listening, blind abx difference testing or blind a-b comparison
testing leaves audio evaluation intact, there are those of us who will
continue to suspect the test. It's that simple.

I have vestages of suspect about the test too. So what? Absolute certainty
isn't the issue, unlike mathematics. The point is that the weight of
evidence does not support that the test does not work. It is not a matter
of absolute proof, but of probability, just lke everything else in matters
scientific. You are free to reject the evidence for the sake of your own
personal pleasure, people do that all the time, including myself. But, to
argue that we can 'hear below threshold' simply isn't credible in the modern
world.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 18:49:37 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

Bruce Abrams wrote in message news:rnicc.78740$w54.443873@attbi_s01...

This is a circular argument, Stewart. What are 'nominally competent
amps'? Ones that sound identical? If an amp sounds different, then is
it no longer a 'nominally competent amp'?

Mr. Nousaine defines nominally competent later in this thread as follows:
+/- 0.1 dB 100 to 10,000 Hz with less than 1% clipping and no measurable odd
stuff like a shut-down with protection into the speaker in question.

Building an amplifier that meets such a standard is no longer a major
engineering feat. The position is that any such amplifier driving a given
load will sound no different than any other such amplifier driving the same
load.

Nonsense. Rise time? TIM? Measurements of sine waves tell luttle if
anything about how an amp handles signals.

Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about. Rise time is not
an issue with any modern amp, and TIM was always a myth. Most amps
handle audio signals just fine. Some amps don't handle ultrasonic
signals too well, which is why SACD gets variable reviews, but that's
another matter.

What you're arguing is that 'all nominally competent amps (amps that
sound the same) same sound the same'.

Nobody has circularly defined nominally competent as you claim. It is yet
another strawman argument that you have erected.

You have said 'all competent amps sound the same'. If one amp does
not, would you not define it as 'non-competent'?

Yes, and you'll easily be able to measure what's wrong with it.

I brought up before
the case of the Sony TA-N88B that my friend heard with me 17 years
ago, and he was quite able to hear its distinct clarity.

Only under sighted conditions, which are worthless in this context.