David Kalmusky

Default Please Critique this mix - there are some great respected ears in here -

Please, Please, do NOT....

......don't say you don't like the girls voice, you don't like the
song, that there is too much stuff going on, or not enough stuff,
it's too sparce etc.....

Those are Production details, which I am NOT looking for a critique
on.

I AM HOWEVER hoping to get some thoughts from some great professional
ears that post in here on a frequent basis.

It's a mushy, new country ballad, so many of you won't like the
song, or the production right off the bat.

There is however, lots of stuff going on.....and at times, not much
at all.

The track has...

Drums (lots of drum room)
Bass
3 Acoustics
Whirlitzer
Grand Piano
Mandolin
4 electric guitars
9 piece string section
Synth Pad
3 vocals

I know mp3 is a horrible sonic representation compared to a hi-res
mix, obviously take that into account, I don't have the bandwidth for
the potential traffic generated by this post, for everyone to
download a 38meg 44,100 16 aiff

Basically, I'm going for an intimate sounding, warm, wide mix, and
need to know if I'm getting there by leaving most things flat, and
dry, except for the vocals.

Intimate, and "organic" can easilly cross into "amateur" mode, and
sound like a rough 2, lots of room, no rev on anything except for the
vocals and steel guitar.

All sonic thoughts, critiques, praise, dislikes, and advice are
welcome.

http://members.rogers.com/studio/Heart'sStillBreaking.mp3

--

David Kalmusky

Visit the "DRAWER OF SHAME" if you dare,
audio that should never be heard !!!
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40

Or...

Post your crazy studio mishaps,
and funny studio stories, in my
"studio s
HOSes forum"
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6
Patric D'Eimon

David Kalmusky wrote:

Please, Please, do NOT....

.....don't say you don't like the girls voice, you don't like the
song, that there is too much stuff going on, or not enough stuff,
it's too sparce etc.....

Those are Production details, which I am NOT looking for a critique
on.

SNIP

All sonic thoughts, critiques, praise, dislikes, and advice are
welcome.

Those thoughts seem to be contradictory but at any rate... I think you
have a terrific mix. I like the girls voice. Why so many disclaimers.
Country music is just as valid as any other music mushy or not. Let's
see some back bone. My system has everything about in the right place
and it sounds nice. Here's the stuff you said you don't want. I think
you need a stronger statement/melody in the intro. The fiddle or the
pedal or even the wurli would be nice to hear it stronger. At the "b"
part of the 1st verse you lose the singer and the story she is singing.
From "I thought by now" to "anticipating" is unclear like you are trying
to hide the lyrics. This treatment reminds me of Shelby Lynne's "I Lie
Myself To Sleep" on Tough All Over. Only I can always follow Shelby's
words and the song story.

I also think that in the chorus you need to pull the hi hat pattern up
to 16th notes where you do the staccato figure. My ears just want to
hear something more intense and pushy there. Maybe not the HH but
something needed to happen there. Maybe a counter BG layer or
something. Also in the 1/2 chorus that serves as a bridge it would be
nice to have a quicker pulse for just a few bars where it's staccato.
Last...I wanted to hear a full chorus again at the end. I wasn't done
with the song where you ended it. I wanted it to take me farther. If
I'm going to invest my attention in your song I was my full moneys
worth. Don't go skipping out early. That's about it. I like the voice
alot. Sounds alot like Shelby Lynne.

Patric

Arny Krueger

"David Kalmusky" wrote in message

All sonic thoughts, critiques, praise, dislikes, and advice are
welcome.

http://members.rogers.com/studio/Heart'sStillBreaking.mp3

Plusses: good, perhaps even excellent musical values. C&W isn't my genre of
choice but I could listen to this kind of music all night with the right
food and company. Good art & craft is good for me in *any* genre.

Minuses: too bright and clipped, thin-sounding. I get instant ear-burn
listening to it with 7506s. The Adobe Audition FFT filter called "de-esser"
with the 9 KHz hole reduced to about 6 dB (from 10) and an added rise of 3
dB at the bottom end, gives a nice start on mastering for a listen,
natural-sounding product.

Patric D'Eimon

Sorry. On one listen through I heard the string line before the 2nd verse
and fired off a reply saying that would be a good intro figure. When I
listened to the piece again from the beginning I saw that indeed the string
line was right where I suggested it should be. Probably why I thought it was
such a good idea. Ha! I should have referenced the post I posted right
before this one (that one?).

Who is the artist? Where is she in her career? Is this her first project?
Good work and good luck. Patric

David Kalmusky wrote:

In article , says...
Ha! Now that I listen again....that's what IS there isn't it. I'm done
now. Patric

Can you please elaborate ??? I'm not sure i get it ??

David Kalmusky

David Kalmusky

I like the girls voice. Why so many disclaimers.
Country music is just as valid as any other music mushy or not. Let's
see some back bone.

Yes, didn't mean to "disclaim" country music, again, I wanted to
focus on what IS there, and not ideas of "Big guitars" and "drum
loops" from a multitude of listeners working in other genres, I've
been producing country music for 15 years, make my living doing it,
and if i thought it sucked, i'd be living a sad little life, sorry
for the disclaimers, it was more of a psycological ploy to keep the
posts focused on the subject i requeststed, i've seen how posts stray
un-controllably from the issue at hand, however.... i am not a
psycologist, I'm a music producer, and i should probably just let the
masses do, what they do !

I love the gils voice too, and have a great deal of respect for the
artist, As a result, I wanted to eliminate her, and her performance
from critique, this post, I really just wanted mix comments, which
you contributed some excellent thoughts.

Here's the stuff you said you don't want. snip At the "b"
part of the 1st verse you lose the singer and the story she is singing.
From "I thought by now" to "anticipating" is unclear like you are trying
to hide the lyrics. This treatment reminds me of Shelby Lynne's "I Lie
Myself To Sleep" on Tough All Over. Only I can always follow Shelby's
words and the song story.

No - I need to know this, very valid, you don't know the song, her
lyrics are getting lost to you,
HOSemely important, and needs to be
rectified, I know the song, I co-wrote it, produced it, played on it,
engineered it, and mixed it, I've heard it over 200 times, at this
point, i'm sure, even when focusing on the mix, i take some of the
words forgranted, thankyou for this comment.

I also think that in the chorus you need to pull the hi hat pattern up
to 16th notes where you do the staccato figure. My ears just want to
hear something more intense and pushy there. Maybe not the HH but
something needed to happen there. Maybe a counter BG layer or
something. Also in the 1/2 chorus that serves as a bridge it would be
nice to have a quicker pulse for just a few bars where it's staccato.
Last...I wanted to hear a full chorus again at the end. I wasn't done
with the song where you ended it.

I love breaking the listener's heart with the song ending, leaving a
tad of un-resolve, wanting more, again... arrangement, and
production, is subjective, 20 arrangers, and 20 producers would make
entirely different choices, as would 20 different mixing engineers,
however....after 15 years of arranging and producing, my word isn't
remotely god, nor is it neccisarrily the "Best" production, or
arrangement for the piece, but it is my "Signature" and I've learned
to make decisions, stand by them, fall in love with them, and move
on, I know the client, and record company trust me not to wreck their
song, and that's good enough for me to have the confidence in that
department without going into detail on why, or "what i was going
for" - as for mixing, this is the first project I have taken on, and
decided to mix, I'm totally open, a little insecure, and not as sure
of myself, as I am in other departments, and really appreciate all
your great feedback.

Thanks Patric

--
David Kalmusky

Visit the "DRAWER OF SHAME" if you dare,
audio that should never be heard !!!
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40

Or...

Post your crazy studio mishaps,
and funny studio stories, in my
"studio stories forum"
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6
David Kalmusky

In article ,
says...
"David Kalmusky" wrote in message

All sonic thoughts, critiques, praise, dislikes, and advice are
welcome.

http://members.rogers.com/studio/Heart'sStillBreaking.mp3

Plusses: good, perhaps even excellent musical values. C&W isn't my genre of
choice but I could listen to this kind of music all night with the right
food and company. Good art & craft is good for me in *any* genre.

Minuses: too bright and clipped, thin-sounding. I get instant ear-burn
listening to it with 7506s. The Adobe Audition FFT filter called "de-esser"
with the 9 KHz hole reduced to about 6 dB (from 10) and an added rise of 3
dB at the bottom end, gives a nice start on mastering for a listen,
natural-sounding product.

Ok - this is what i need - Thin..... I DONT want a thin mix... I want
fat, and warm.... the mix had a light L1 sparingly applied to
increase levels a bit to put the whole thing in perspective, however,
George Graves at the Lacquer Channel in Toronto, Canada will be
mastering this project, and i'll be removing the L1 from the mixes i
bring to him.

Is this something thst you feel can be mastered into this mix,
OR... as a main, fundamental, un mastered mix, do i need to go back,
fatten up the drum room, Kick drum, bass guitar with bottom end ???

I don't want to have to create a false bottom end in the mastering,
i'd almost rather have the tracks a little too fat, and warm, and
have george roll it off, and brighten it up in the mastering.

what are your thoughts Arny ???

[...]

b******r

I'm not a pro so my advice should be taken as such.

I don't know what equiptment you are working with but this sounds
really close to the real deal to me. A bit sibilant but that could be
fixed by a good master. Keeping the instruments dry.... you're walking
a tightrope there. When all the instruments are plying I.E. the intro,
it's not, but somewhat close to sounding cluttered, I would say
because everything occupies the same dry, natural space. I don't know
enough about this genre to offer appropriate suggestions but whatever
I would try would be very subtile because again, this sounds really
close to radio stuff to me. Maybe eq some instruments to be smaller
than others or a really tight (milliseconds) delay on one or two
things.
In the first verse the arpeggiating guitar sounds a bit stark
which I thought drew too much attention to itself. There was a
staccato string figure which I thought had the same effect. These
could be remedied with a really subtile reverb or delay. Subtile
changes always seem to make the best improvement to me.
The tracking sounds great. It sounds like you didn't use a lot of
eq, which I like, and hey, the vocals sound pitch corrected so that
alone gets you halfway to country gold!
Brian Takei

David Kalmusky ) wrote:

Ok - this is what i need - Thin..... I DONT want a thin mix... I want
fat, and warm.... the mix had a light L1 sparingly applied to
increase levels a bit to put the whole thing in perspective, however,
George Graves at the Lacquer Channel in Toronto, Canada will be
mastering this project, and i'll be removing the L1 from the mixes i
bring to him.

At 0:42, on the fourth syllable of "an-ti-ci-paaa-ting", is the L1 or
something else on the stereo bus clamping down, maybe triggered by a
low E from the bass?

- Brian
David Kalmusky

In article , says...
Sorry. On one listen through I heard the string line before the 2nd verse
and fired off a reply saying that would be a good intro figure. When I
listened to the piece again from the beginning I saw that indeed the string
line was right where I suggested it should be. Probably why I thought it was
such a good idea. Ha! I should have referenced the post I posted right
before this one (that one?).

Great minds think alike

Who is the artist? Where is she in her career? Is this her first project?
Good work and good luck. Patric

This is her 2nd record, David Foster produced the first one, so i've
some shoes to fill, that's why I'm a little open to the whole "how's
my mix" thing. this has to stand up, and have nothing amateur about
it, i usually keep to myself, and wouldn't usually post work, and ask
for comments, but I have to lower my ego, and take advantage of the
ears out there that are way more experianced with mixes than I.

I've got my strengths, and when I need greatness in an area that
I'm not capable of, I try to ally myself with greatness.

There are many in here, who's strong suit, or Forte, is Mixing,
mine is not, but I'm adding it to my bag of tricks, I've always had
decent sounding "rough 2's" but generally brought in some heavy
hitters to mix the final product, the last project I worked on, i,
and other people in the organization, were happier with some earlier
rough 2's than the finished, mastered project, it was then, re-mixed,
and mastered by another engineer, using those original rough 2's as a
guide.

I'd like to hoan my mixing chops, and leave as little in other
hands as possible, to assure continuity in vision from beginning to
end, however, amateur mixes are NOT a part of that vision, and I'm
smart enough to know that getting a general concensus, could be a
really good indication of whether or not I'm making a mistake in this
train of thought.

I've been extremely lucky to work along side of some incredible
engineers, producers, and musicians my whole career, and worked on
maybe 50 or 60 records over the last decade, so I'm not starting from
scratch over here, however, again... I'm used to having confidence in
every decision I make, standing by it, and moving on, i don't have
the track record, or experience mixing the finals, to warrant that
kind of cockiness, (or confidence that we all need)

Perhaps after this project I will ?

David

David Kalmusky

In article ,
says...
David Kalmusky ) wrote:

Ok - this is what i need - Thin..... I DONT want a thin mix... I want
fat, and warm.... the mix had a light L1 sparingly applied to
increase levels a bit to put the whole thing in perspective, however,
George Graves at the Lacquer Channel in Toronto, Canada will be
mastering this project, and i'll be removing the L1 from the mixes i
bring to him.

At 0:42, on the fourth syllable of "an-ti-ci-paaa-ting", is the L1 or
something else on the stereo bus clamping down, maybe triggered by a
low E from the bass?

- Brian

You Know Brian... I hear it too now... but just in the vocal... it
doesn't seem to me like the whole track is getting sucked into the
void... just the vocal, I drew a vol graph line on that sylable and
brought it up 1.5 db it seems to straighten it out for me over here,
just as a saftey precaution, as per your mention, and the fact that
the bass note is very predominant, I pulled back that bass note 1db.

the L1 is not showing any gain reduction, just broght up to the point
of the slightest flicker, then brought back a db.

thanks for your meticulous listening.

David

--
David Kalmusky

Visit the "DRAWER OF SHAME" if you dare,
audio that should never be heard !!!
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40

Or...

Post your crazy studio mishaps,
and funny studio stories, in my
"studio stories forum"
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6
David Kalmusky

In article ,
says...

David Kalmusky wrote:

being completely honest, about 25% of the vocal has pitch correction
implimented to tighen up the vocal and make it a little more
"Pristene" however,

At what point did people start deciding that the use of pitch correction
was mandatory? Who says the vocals have to sound perfect?

I want the singer to sound human. Humans aren't perfect. Of course there
are limitations, and would be singers who really can't sing. But that is
a different discussion.

-Rob

I agree, the rest of my previous post coincided with that thought
precicely.

absolutely not manditory, and in fact, the last thing i think about
when i'm cutting a vocal.

I elect to used it, sparingly, more as an effect, to tighten
harmonies occasionally, on a vocal, as long as it does NOT remove the
human aspect from the performance.

Some vocals, I don't use it at all, other vocals, maybe 10% of the
track, others a little more.

humans aren't perfect, absolutely, neither are drums, but we
occasionally compress them, and put reverb on them, a drum doesn't
sound off reverb, every time you hit it in every environment, now...
with that in mind, some people over process drums, gate, squash, tons
of reverb.... i don't like that either, i prefer a natural sounding
kit, but have many tools at my disposal to go for things sonically
when making music, and records, in this day and age that have evolved
many moons beyond banging a drum by candle light in a cave.

If I "over use" these tools, on drums, or vocals, or anything for
that matter, then i suppose that is "My sound" when making a record,
however, in my case, it is not.

I set out to make the best sounding record possibe, with what ever
tools i have available to me. fortunately for me, I've had the lucky
opportunity to work with artists that'll blow you away, singing in a
room with an acoustic guitar as accompaniment, that performance is
always there, and it's my job to make a great record, capture that
performance without steralizing it with all of these toys in the
recording process, however, I elect to use them ocassionally, at
different times, I've even used tuning technology to pull a vocal
just a tad bit less than perfect, from whence it came, to create some
tension, and widen harmonies, some of the BG session singers are so
perfect, they CANT sing, just slightly out of tune, and if it's what
I am going for, i can achieve it, and have, many times in the past.
my job is to make the best sounding record I can, and leave the
acoustic performance in the room full of listeners, up to the artist,
most of the ones I have worked with, can not only cut it, they are
brilliant at it.

But you're right... let's not get on the auto-tune thread, i'm really
not interested in it, it's such a tiny little insignifigant part of
what I do, I don't want to sit around and talk about what reverb is
better then the next either, i have my favorites, and my own little
thing going on over here, some people love my work, some people hate
it, and they always will, it's a different discussion.
--
David Kalmusky

Visit the "DRAWER OF SHAME" if you dare,
audio that should never be heard !!!
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40

Or...

Post your crazy studio mishaps,
and funny studio stories, in my
"studio stories forum"
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6
area242

I like this mix. The only things that caught my ear is the hihats...could
be brought down 1 or 2 dB and the snare up 1 or 2 dB. I found my self
straining to hear the snare at places and being destracted (very slightly)
by the Hihats.

I'll listen to this again a few more times and see if more things pop out!

BTW, nice song and she has a great voice!

David Kalmusky

In article , area242
@REMOVEyahoo.com says...
I like this mix. The only things that caught my ear is the hihats...could
be brought down 1 or 2 dB and the snare up 1 or 2 dB. I found my self
straining to hear the snare at places and being destracted (very slightly)
by the Hihats.

I'll listen to this again a few more times and see if more things pop out!

BTW, nice song and she has a great voice!

Thanks, it's not a big "drum song" I do agree with you, however most
of the HH are in the room mics, I don't want to really bring the room
down on this recording, i'm really liking it, and I'm ok with a
predominant HH as a compramise. I felt the kik was a little loud on
the outro, i brough it down 1.5 db, but I'm ok with the hats being
pretty strong in the room, which is up quite a bit on this track.

I do agree with you however, the drums are good and strong in the
verses, there isn't much competition, so you can hear the snare, and
drum room, pretty rockin' the kit becomes a little overwhelmed by the
wall of strings, vocals, synth pad, piano in the choruses, but I
don't mind this so much, I'm really featuring that instrumentation.

I may back the room off a tad, and yank up the snare in the choruses,
thankyou for your input, and compliments.

--
David Kalmusky

Visit the "DRAWER OF SHAME" if you dare,
audio that should never be heard !!!
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40

Or...

Post your crazy studio mishaps,
and funny studio stories, in my
"studio stories forum"
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6
Les Cargill

Rob Adelman wrote:

David Kalmusky wrote:

being completely honest, about 25% of the vocal has pitch correction
implimented to tighen up the vocal and make it a little more
"Pristene" however,

At what point did people start deciding that the use of pitch correction
was mandatory?

About the time the technology to "make it so" came available.

Who says the vocals have to sound perfect?

Dunno. Whoever likes that sort of thing, I guess. It's not without
precedent - barbershop, the Osmonds and The Beach Boys all
depended on close harmony with tight pitch control.

I want the singer to sound human. Humans aren't perfect. Of course there
are limitations, and would be singers who really can't sing. But that is
a different discussion.

And no constraint who will actually end up singing.

-Rob

--
Les Cargill

Jeffrey S. Long

My ear isn't respected as much as most in this newsgroup, but I enjoy
your mix very much. I'm biting my tongue on production notes, but I
think all the instruments sound very natural. I can hear all the
nuances of the instruments you recorded, and I especially like the
sound of the piano. Good work,

Jeff
David Kalmusky

Default Please Critique this mix - BIG RANT on producers - Sorry !!

In article ,
says...
My ear isn't respected as much as most in this newsgroup, but I enjoy
your mix very much. I'm biting my tongue on production notes, but I
think all the instruments sound very natural. I can hear all the
nuances of the instruments you recorded, and I especially like the
sound of the piano. Good work,

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, much appreciated, and kudos to you for biting your
tongue on the production notes, not easy ... is it??

(bit of a rant....)

Part of my job as an engineer for years, was sitting at the
console, biting my tonge while producers made STUPID arrangement
choices, and even worse production desicions, but as some of those
songs landed top 10, I had to chalk it up to their character, and
realize they were not bad enough choices to wreck the song, I'll
always hear it differently in my head than they do, and you do,
that's what gives us our individuallity.

I often go back to a producer I worked under for a while who's a
bit of a guru, well respected, high demand, lots of awards, gold
records, and all high profile clients for the last 25 years, I refer
to him as "Father Music" in 3rd party conversations, he's the only
one that i would probably re-cut an entire track, if he thought I
needed to, I'd change any part he thought intrusive, or add anything
reccomended, and I always go there, expecting, and welcoming those
types of suggestions.

He NEVER gives them to me, the most he'll ever say is, "great work'
"really great track" or ... I'm not crazy about the song.... but the
production is really good. At one point I was lost, i was near the
end of a track, and it wasn't sitting right with me, I needed
Legitimate, serious help, and I was lost for ideas, i played him the
cut, without any setup, or negativity, and just said, "what do you
think of this?"

His response was instantly... "no...no... you've got a way better
one in you than that, walk away from it... it'll come to you" I
jumped on it as opportunity and asked "should i change the groove?,
is it too slow?, what about a more acoustic arrangement?" he just
said, "you know you'll try all this anyway, and you'll work on it
till it sits right with you, till the track becomes you, then you'll
play it with pride for everyone else in the industry, who will tell
you how they would do it differently, but you, and hopefully the
artist, will know, in the pit of your gut, that it's as it should be,
you know the drill, why do you even ask these questions, we should be
talking about golf, or world poletics, you knew the track sucked when
you walked in here, i know you did, I don't create like you, and you
don't create like I do, even if i gave you an idea of mine for the
track, you'll never feel like it is entirely your track, you won't
get the same feeling, pride, and attachement to it, it'll just become
a slate of work that you'll be done with, the song, the artist, and
you, don't want that"

That was about 10 years ago, I've never looked outward for advice
since, I've researched, listened for inspiration, but it's all came
from me in the end, good and bad, and I've kept my morgage up, bought
a shiny new truck, and enjoy litening to all of my work, even after
it's finished.

This all stems down to not wanting production insight on the
piece, famous guitarists in the industry that think they are a better
player than jimmy page, would rarely walk up to him and say "you
should have played "this" in dazed and Confused" as I'm sure one
known blues player in a city would rarely say the same sort of thing
to another.

I make my living producing music, and have for some time, doesn't
mean my sonic choices are great, right, wrong, too sparce, or too
busy for everyone, there are many people in the industry that adore
what i do, and many people that think I'm a hack, and always will.

My production, is a guitarist's guitar playing, be it technical or
feel oriented, a little out of tune at times, too busy, or whatever
the case, it's how I play.

Geeze, sorry for the rant, I really just don't want anyone getting
the idea that I think I'm "god's gift to production" and that no one
would have anything valid to contribute, on the contrary, everything
is valid... but valid for them, and the music that they produce. this
rant is really just a clear explanation that there is no lack of
respect for the other producers in here, I know I'
HOS a fan of a ton
of music made by people in here, and i know, given the acoustic
track, and the vocal to 100 people of that song, and a budget, you'd
have 100 completely different sounding songs, some great, that half
would hate, and some bad, that half would love.

Enough babble... back to work, thanks again for your comments, and
tongue biting.

--
David Kalmusky

Visit the "DRAWER OF SHAME" if you dare,
audio that should never be heard !!!
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40

Or...

Post your crazy studio mishaps,
and funny studio stories, in my
"studio stories forum"
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6
John L Rice

I'm probably not one of the people you were thinking of when you said 'great
respected ears' but I'll take up a little space in this thread anyway! ;-)

So to do was I was told not to do, I really like this song! Really nice
arrangement and performances. I like the singer. To me it's very
reminisent of 'middle period' Amy Grant ( and I do mean that as a
compliment )

Really nice mix so far too. Most of this stuff is minor and in my humble
opinion but :

- it seems like some of the instuments are competing with the lead vocals at
times, in particular the slide guitar, snare drum and grand piano. (
especially when listening at low volumes ) Maybe rein them in a little more
or compress the lead vocal a tad more?

- I don't know if this was all multi-tracked or what but it's lacking a
little cohesivness and doesn't 'quite' sound enough like a band of
emotionally charged musicians playing together. Maybe a little overall
compression / reverb / EQ etc might help?

- the mix seems a little light on the bottom. It would be nice to hear more
bass guitar in particular. Maybe compressed so the notes sustain a little
more and provide a more solid bottom. Possibly a little more low end 'omph'
from the toms and piano would be nice and a hair more from the bass drum.

- It would be nice to hear a little more energy in the chorus'. I know this
is more of an arrangement/performance/production thing but maybe increacing
the gain on the choruses or lowering the gain on the verses just a hair
might help.

Anyway, beautiful job by everyone involved. I've only listened to it so far
on some 'good' computer speakers but I know them well and I've listened to
the song about 20 times so far.

Keep up the good work. I can only hope that my mixes will turn out to be as
enjoyable to listen to as yours!

Best of luck!

John L Rice

PS - who is the artist?

[...]

David Kalmusky

SNIP
- it seems like some of the instuments are competing with the lead vocals at
times, in particular the slide guitar, snare drum and grand piano. (
especially when listening at low volumes ) Maybe rein them in a little more
or compress the lead vocal a tad more?

That's what I like about the whole mass, general consensus thing,
this is the 3rd comment on losing the vocal, I've since turned up
specifically noted parts by 1.5db and yanked up the whole vocal, on
top of that another DB, i'd like to not squash them if I don't have
to, they were recorded through a neve pre and a manley limiter, that
is enough squashing for me. but as per your post, I've yanked the vox
on the choruses up another .5db - so thankyou for listening.

- the mix seems a little light on the bottom. It would be nice to hear more
bass guitar in particular. Maybe compressed so the notes sustain a little
more and provide a more solid bottom. Possibly a little more low end 'omph'
from the toms and piano would be nice and a hair more from the bass drum.

Yes this has also been commented on, I don't want to take a thin
mix in to be mastered, and "beefed up" I'd rather take a fat mix in,
and roll it off in the mastering, i'll be looking into fattening the
bass, kick, synth pad, room mic, piano in small incruments.

- It would be nice to hear a little more energy in the chorus'. I know this
is more of an arrangement/performance/production thing but maybe increacing
the gain on the choruses or lowering the gain on the verses just a hair
might help.

Production wise, (which i didn't want to comment on, but I will)...
her heart's still breaking, vulnerable, strings, we don't want to get
too much into "Power balad mode" with this one, we still want some
soft intimacies, we don't want all of that soft vulnarabillity to
just wash away, and punch you in the face in the chorus, typically
this is where the big, distort-o guitars come in, on this track, they
never do, you might expect it, but they never show up, and I'm
actually quite happy about it, i really discussed not lifting the
chorus too - too much on this one, with the artist, maintaining some
continuity with the vibe of the intro, and we are both happy.

However - Great production trick / tip / tool, I have used it many,
many times, even gone as far as lowering the verses 2.5 db, with a
pretty quick sweep back up to 0db for the choruses, I totally know
what you're getting at - and you're right, that would provide quite a
lift.

Anyway, beautiful job by everyone involved. I've only listened to it so far
on some 'good' computer speakers but I know them well and I've listened to
the song about 20 times so far.

Thank-you, and the musicians and artist thank you, i'm sure, in
spirit, and sentiment, thanks for a great post john, with some great
contributions, thankyou for listening so many times, and so
meticulously. I have changed the level of the vocal after reading
your post, i agree with you on all points, thanks again for
contributing.

___
David Kalmusky

Visit the "DRAWER OF SHAME" if you dare,
audio that should never be heard !!!
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40

Or...

Post your crazy studio mishaps,
and funny studio stories, in my
"studio stories forum"
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6

The tracking sounds great. It sounds like you didn't use a lot of
eq, which I like, and hey, the vocals sound pitch corrected so that
alone gets you halfway to country gold!

Eeek ! this alarms me a wee bit.

being completely honest, about 25% of the vocal has pitch correction
implimented to tighen up the vocal and make it a little more
"Pristene" however, in this day and age, where everything is comped
from 3 passes, and is run, from a-z through auto-tune mode, I'm
generally known for working with the vocalist on performance, breath,
air, dynamics, and I'll sparingly, and selectively graph tune moments
in what was already a stellar performance, as said before, to tighen
up moments in the track, for that uphoric "perfect" thang.

I've been hired on several ocasions, just to cut vocals with
artists on their records, cause I'll spend all day with them, rather
than all day with the auto-tuner.

If you can hear it.... i've gon too far, and your detection of it is
VERY important to me.

let me know what words, and area's are pulling your ears into "tuner
mode" I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Although this is more of a Production thing, I'm convinced that a ton
of producers, and engineers in nashville are so de-sensitized to the
auto-tuner, that they actually can't hear it any more, i've sat in
the control room, many MANY times, thinking to myself, "you're
kidding...right?" to hear it go out as a final, and land on CMT and
the radio, and I honestly think, after day in, and day out, their
ears have become immune to it, I fear that my theory may be true, in
which case, I'm not excluded from immunity to hearing it.

let me know what you hear.

David, I think your use of auto tune is very tasteful and my
comment about "pitch correction" was more of a friendly jab at the
country genre than your production. I think that these days a country
song, or pop song for that matter, sounds unique if it DOESN'T have
Auto Tune on it. I would leave it like it is personally but to answer
your request here are the places that I noticed it most.
1st Pre Chorus - The falsetto "waiting, anticipating." In the
2nd Pre Chorus I could hear it all the way through "never known and
now I'm waiting, anticipating"
The place that it is most detectable is in the Chorus in the
higher voices of the harmony "Time brings healing" That sounds like
the plug in was set to auto instead of using graphical mode.
Again I don't think that there is a problem. I can hear it
because I use Auto Tune a lot and I guess I have a keen ear for it.
Most everyone will just think it sounds like country music which is ,
I think, what you're going for.
It's interesting that you like to go the vocal coach route and
take your time on getting the pitch right in the performance. I've
tried that and many other ways of getting the best performance out of
a singer but I must admit, these days I prefer to get the most
energetic, soulful performance I can get without being really critical
about pitch and then going into graphical mode and fixin' it up later.
Whatever ends up sounding good in the end works, I guess

Steve

Nicely done. I did anticipate that the song was going to leave me
"unresolved" and since this was your intention, you made it work
perfectly.

The mix is really nice. However, "organic" or "intimate" intention
should be true to "real world" listening situations. I wanted to hear
the strings section in an appropriate room. I haven't had the chance
to listen to a 9 piece string section in a living room. (To dry for my
taste.) So, my perspective of the strings section on the recording
were out of context. I visualize them in a nice wooded room with warm
ambience. Might add dimension to the mix (which I thought it was
lacking).

Try this with the instrumentation, where are the acoustic guitars? In
the back of the room? Front of the room? Sitting next to you? On the
beach around the campfire? Same with drums. The Vocalist. Does she
move in the mix. Foster and Barbra Streisand and the song "Somewhere"
is a good example. You said it yourself, "mushy ballad". 25
instruments with vocals is hard to fit in a 300 seat club. Hardly,
intimate. Not trying to make it hard on you but just driving my point.
Perspective and concept is really tough to hang on to when your
mixing. It takes objectivness and self control. You damn near got it
my friend.

I'm sure you get the idea.....you seem to have a nice touch already.
I just wanted to give you an opinion to chew on.

Anyway, this is was fun. You did a nice job and it always helps when
you have great talent to work with.

Good luck,
Steve

[...]

David Kalmusky

In article ,
says...
[...]

Hey Steve, great post, and great thoughts, as a producer, I
constantly do all of this, and was fairly meticulous about the
perspective on each of the instruments and parts, perhaps this is the
point of the whole post, that as a mixing engineer, I'm not able to
get it across, I need to hear the room around things, infact
everything, it's a huge part of what i do.

The Drums and bass were recorded together in a 900 square ft room,
with a hard wood floor, and carpeted back wall, the back of the room
8ft high, the front of the room 16 ft high, the bass amp in
isolation, in a dead chamber, the main drum room where the bass
player stood, and the drummer performed had several room mics placed
in it, and were hot in the mix in contrast to the close proximity
mics.

The acoustic guitar was recorded in a den, 12 x 12 with a 130 year
old hard wood floor, 2 wood walls, and 2 burlap walls, with 12 ft
ceiling.

The strings were recorded in an 1800 squre ft studio floor,
carpeted, with maple walls, and a 21 ft ceiling, extremely paralelled
with the acoustics of a small 300-500 soft seat theatre.

The mandolin was recorded very close, in a dead environment, off
the neck, keeping most of the bright tones, allowing the acoustic to
contribute body and depth.

The vocal, I wanted to always be close, recorded close proximity to
a U-47 through a Neve strip, and Manley limiter, standing right
beside me in the control room.

Your post is very important to me, I am always fairly meticulous
with this kind of thought into tracking music, I'm confident in my
abillity to make those choices for the track, but curious in my
abillities to bring it out in the mix, by your comments, i have
failed to provide you with all of the environments i have created
during recording, in my final mix.... and this, is exactly what this
post is about.

I spent 2 days writing and arranging string parts, and hired top
call symphony guys to play the parts, directing them to over
emphasize their vibrato, giving me a "1950's soap opera kind of
drama" I really got that performance out of them, in an incredible
huge, and dark / warm room, I REALLY want you to be able to hear that
room around their performance, otherwise I'm not achieving my goals
after meticulous thought, the fact that it sounds like the string
parts are played in a livingroom, to me, makes them generic, sting
parts that were or could have just been "Thrown Down"

thanks for your post, i'll put some serious consideration into
bringing more string room into the track, as long as it doesn't
interfear with other perspectives i have created in the track.

you know.... it is MP3 which is robbing a considerable amount of
harmonics from the final mix... i really need to keep that into
consideration as well.

nevertheless (just thinking out loud at this point) thanks for your
great post.

Much appreciated.

--------
David Kalmusky

Visit the "DRAWER OF SHAME" if you dare,
audio that should never be heard !!!
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40

Or...

Post your crazy studio mishaps,
and funny studio stories, in my
"studio stories forum"
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6
David Kalmusky

In article ,
says...
Hi David,

Thanks for the feed back and discussion. I actually listened to the song
this morning once or twice before I went to work but I would of been a half
hour late if I would have tried to respond. I figured I would be just
repeating most of what others had already said but I liked the song so much
I wanted to be apart of the discussion anyways!

Right after I posted I got inspired to play around with it a little bit so I
just spent the last two hours playing around and 'mastering' it. I realize
that mastering converted mp3s is a little like turd polishing, but even in
mp3 form this song is no turd . . . and I often ignore common sense so . . .
. .

http://www.imjohn.com/misc/DavidKalm...gJohnLRice.mp3

Now, I was just comparing the version you posted to the one I just did and I
really can't tell much difference but . . .maybe that's somewhat of a good
thing? It's funny though because I did a lot of different things. Maybe I'm
to close to it at the moment. I'd appreciate yours and anyone else's
comments as to if what I did was worth the effort or not and why.

If there is interest I'll let you know what I did but I missed dinner and
need to correct that situation.

Thanks for the inspiration David and band!

John L Rice

PS - the bass sounded great on my 'actual' system. ;-)

Hey John, thanks for taking so much interest, and playing with the
file, yes... unfortunately mp3 is bad enough, let alone a 2nd
generation conversion, i'm afraid it's lost too much harmonic content
to really be certain of the clarity of the mastering curves you've
applied.

As well, for level purposes, I applied an L1 to the final that I
posted, with no real gain reduction, but about as much level boosting
that i could stand to listen too before i felt like i was begining to
squash dynamics.

With that as a start point for your mastering (which i would never
do....I'll remove the L1 before I take it to be mastered) I can hear
the punping and breathing of the dynamics limiting on your file,
especially in the choruses, i'll bet without my L1, it'd be
considerably less detectable, but compressing an already boosted,
slightly limited file, already at the brink of dynamic detection,
just pushes her, over the cliff !

the Eq'ing from what i could hear on a 2nd generation mp3 was
really nice, nice choices in bottom end gain, and top roll of, or
what ever it was that you did, it did make the whole spectrum a
little warmer, and fatter.

Thanks again, I'm glad to have provided some sonic experiments, I'm
definately not going to master this stuff myself, I'll be taking it
to George Graves at the Laquer channel ( U2, Peter Gabriel, etc...)
and I'll do it with him, and his ears and gear, I'm just branching
into mixing, I'm still at least another decade before I decide to
master everything I produce and mix

Thanks John, i hope you're enjoying dinner, i'm divorced, i missed
too many dinners tweaking mixes... be carefull !!!

David
John L Rice

[...]

.. .
. .

[...]

Thanks for the response. It's pretty pointless 'mastering' an mp3 but I've
wasted my time in a lot worse ways. ;-)

FWIW, working in Wavelab 4 I ( from what I can remember ) :
dropped the overall gain -7 db ( for room to work with )
raised the choruses +1 db ( 2 db seemed too much ). I started the gain raise
a couple beats prior to the chorus
dropped the tail end by -1 db ( starting at about 3:10 )
UAD-1 Pultec EQ : +2 and -1 @ 30 Hz / +2 @ 5kHz width at 5 / -1 @12kHz
UAD-1 LA-2A input at 45 / gain reduction at 25
UAD-1 RealVerb big warm room preset at 5% wetness. I rolled off the low end
EQ and tweaked the reflections a little
added a VST reverb starting at about 3:15
VST puncher soft or medium setting ( forgot which ) at 45%
UAD-1 Pultec EQ +1.5 @ 10kHz
raised overall gain by a little over +4 db to bring peak level up to -0.1
converted to 192 sample rate mp3 using LAME and high quality setting

You know what would be really great. If it's at all possible if you could
make the final mix for this one available to me so that I could try my hand
at mastering it, and then when the actual album comes out I can compare what
I did to what the actual mastering engineer did so I can learn a thing or
three by comparison. ( I'd be happy to sign something etc ) Actually, it
might be a fun concept for an alternative rec.audio.pro release. Make the
wav file available, let a bunch of folks master it, then put everyone's
attempts on the cd along with the released version. It could be titled "What
made YOU think you knew how to master?"

Anyway, thanks for listening and all the feedback. This thread sure has you
busy!

Best of luck!

John L Rice

PS - dinner was chicken breast boiled with onions, carrots and celery over
white rice with a side of lima beans. YUM!

Aaron Householter

OK, I'm probably nit-picking here, but I would drop back the vocals
about 1db. Bring up the drum kit about 2db.(not the cymbals) add some
snap to the snare boost about 2-3db on 2.5-8k(somewhere in there, hard
to tell on my computer speakers and mp3). I agree with the others, I
think it sounds real good, the singer is fine, actually quite good.
The pedal steel goes on a bit much and the harmony on the vocal is too
distractingly long, it should be a little more back and used more
sparely in that pre chorus section. Like I said, all minor stuff I'm
suggesting here.
Aaron Householter
studio1117

David Kalmusky

[...]

Hey John, It's a little alarming, distributing un-finished
material, it was probably fairly stupid of me to make this mp3, but
I've always been a bit of a trouble maker, I doubt any A&R geeks
troll through R.A.P. (and if they do, I just got into trouble number
2) I gained confidence in the mix, and changed some elements of the
mix, as per the groups contributions, really, I might do it again,
now that I think of it, a great mass consultation of ears, before you
go to press with it, is really a great resource to have available,
and 10 years ago, would have really been impossible.

I'm going to be really careful though, obvioustly, with the
versions of files I make available, in this day and age, every kid
with an mp3 encoder, and t-racks, squashes the hell out of your
music, and puts it on Kazaa, so it's not really a quality control
issue anymore, it is however, a matter of being sure that all files
that land public, are finals, the tweaks to this mix, that I have
made, from R.A.P's contribution, won't generally be audible to the
public (also another reason for the "No Production comments" ranting,
this is a final, and no major modifications will be taking place.

Fire me off an e-mail in a week (I'm on the road for the next 7
days) I should have the final tweaks finished, and an L1 removed
version for you to play with, we will have a little agreement that
you won't distribute, upload, release, or associate credits to the
project, I'll consider it research, and reference on the project,
"Another take on the Mastering"

I'll tell you what I like to hear, because one of the hardest
things about mastering, is interpreting the clients sonic requests,
not just making it sound good using "default" practices that you have
developed.

I am not one of these guys that needs the whole mix in your face, I
started in this business recording on Analog 2" mastering to 1/4" and
listening to the final product on vinyl, dynamics, dynamics, dynamics
!
I hate hearing limiting compressors, beyond how I have used
compression in my mix, I never want to hear the whole 2 mix dip, I
use compressors, in my mix, on sub groups, and individually, as an
effect, and a tone sculpting tool, to allow the room that most things
were recorded in, to breathe a bit through the track, I don't want it
all squashed together, my mixes are always hot enough to be heard,
I'd rather turn the stereo up a little bit, with a more dynamic mix,
than have everything average 0db.

I love bottom end, I miss bottom end, everybody started rolling off
things tighter and tighter at some point, to compensate for the
electronic industry having "super Bass Boost" on everything, but most
people these days (in country music) over compensate, over brighten,
and over squash, for me... the hip hopster's aren't going to be
playing my records in their boom box cars, and if their girlfriends
do, then I want my bottom end to compete with Mistah - boom-bastic.

I generally like to tell who's mastering to master around the vocals
as a guide, I spend allot of time and effort, making sure the vocals
have a glassy, smooth, present 12-20k without any harshness, or as
little as possible, in the 1 - 8k range, I don't want to lose this
air, or this glass too much, careful with the roll offs !

Those are my mastering thoughts, old George will fire everything
through a quarter million worth of old analog gear, and signal path,
and barely tweak the settings on anything, an inch is a mile.

drop me an e-mail in 8 - 9 days if you can remember, and I'll see
where I'm at with the final on this one.

Anyway, thanks for listening and all the feedback. This thread sure has you
busy!

Yeah, and I'm supposed to be mixing !!

Best of luck!

John L Rice

PS - dinner was chicken breast boiled with onions, carrots and celery over
white rice with a side of lima beans. YUM!

Dinner for me was 4 coffee's and 2 cigarettes
I need to meet another girl to keep me in shape !

--
David Kalmusky

Visit the "DRAWER OF SHAME" if you dare,
audio that should never be heard !!!
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40

Or...

Post your crazy studio mishaps,
and funny studio stories, in my
"studio stories forum"
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6
Steve

David Kalmusky wrote in message

Hey David,
Someone said, "If you want it to be subtle, make it obvious." I just
did some tracking in a really nice room and had the room mic too far
away from the drums. This was disappointing because if have had good
results from the previous recordings. I just made a mistake and I
can't use the "room" as much as I would like.

The interesting thing about using room ambience (especially a nice
room) is that the general public response is very positive. Most
people are attracted to the music and tend to listen as well as enjoy
the song. Psychological? Yeah....... dry recordings make for uneasy
listening. We live in ambience etc; So, I use it as my best friend
when I can.

As artists usually have subjective tendencies (lol), sometimes we lose
selfcontrol when we are in a creative or producer mode. Forgeting I
have heard the song 200 times (golf metaphor, forget your last shot/s)
and listen for the first time. If that fails I call my friend up
(who's very good at this) and have him listen, then tear me
apart......fun isn't it?

BTW I listened to the song on my computer speakers; where your time
and efforts MUST shine through for me to take your song to a more
controlled environment.

What you're doing is what song writing, recording, and producing is
all about. Very cool.....

[...]

David Kalmusky

In article , std1117
@swbell.net says...
OK, I'm probably nit-picking here, but I would drop back the vocals
about 1db. Bring up the drum kit about 2db.(not the cymbals) add some
snap to the snare boost about 2-3db on 2.5-8k(somewhere in there, hard
to tell on my computer speakers and mp3). I agree with the others, I
think it sounds real good, the singer is fine, actually quite good.
The pedal steel goes on a bit much and the harmony on the vocal is too
distractingly long, it should be a little more back and used more
sparely in that pre chorus section. Like I said, all minor stuff I'm
suggesting here.
Aaron Householter
studio1117

Thanks Aaron, the general concensous in here so far, on several
occasions some poster's lost the lyrics, the vocals, since, have been
actually boosted, 1.5db in the choruses, it's the country music
thang, to make sure you can hear every sylable I suppose.

The drum kit sub group was also boosted recently, 1.5db on the
choruses, and dropped 1db in the verses, so your feelings there were
paralelled by others.

as far as the Eq goes, many in here have listened on good near field,
and big studio cabs, and sonically are pleased with the track, and
kit, the computer speakers might not be representing the snare
properly, it is a little dark / warm / punchy, but that's what we
were going for

thanks for your great comments.
--
David Kalmusky

Visit the "DRAWER OF SHAME" if you dare,
audio that should never be heard !!!
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40

Or...

Post your crazy studio mishaps,
and funny studio stories, in my
"studio stories forum"
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6

Roger W. Norman

You must have a hard time sitting down with balls big enough to master
someone's mp3, particularly when they don't know whether they like the mix
or not! g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"John L Rice" wrote in message

[...]

..
. .
. .

[...]

Roger W. Norman

Well, the possibility of losing distribution control certainly exists as
soon as you have it available just one time on the web. You'll never know
where it actually ends up now. Next time, maybe put out a few sections in
question, or a 1 minute piece or something that won't put the whole song up
for grabs. Of course, it's hard to critique a mix with a smattering of
music, too.

[...]

Roger W. Norman

Funny how people view things differently. I thought that, other than well
recorded strings, their place was too prevalent in the mix. Again, a
personal observation but in conjuction with the song's tone and lyric
content, I probably would have liked them sounding like they were floating
over a field, rather than shooting out from around the singer's head.

But David didn't want production critique, so I held off. And it's not
really a critique anyway, just a personal point of view. Instrumental space
is pretty busy but it's still there, however dimensionally it sounds a
little like everything is in your face EXCEPT the vocal. Not that the vocal
isn't there and easily listenable (not as discernable as a jazz vocalist
would want it), it just seems like it's competing with the instrumentation
rather than being complemented by the instruments. I've listened to the
song about 15 times now and "unresolved" is probably a good word but to me
it's in the emotion, not the production.

Being one who works in a lot of jazz, and from just my impression of the
emotion of the song, again on a personal basis, I'd rather see a darker
piano part than such a bright one. I assume it's a Yamaha (certainly sounds
like one), but something along the line of a Steinway B or Baldwin might
have ended up adding the darkness it seems to need. Might fatten up the
bottom end a little rather than playing with the bottom end via EQ. Then
again, it could muddy it up also. To work a darker piano in one may
actually have to rewrite the piano part so as not to compete for sonic
space.

Overall I really like the piece. I would probably have preferred the vocal
to have been a one pass that was correct rather than comping a piece and
doing pitch correction, but that's a minimal gripe. Seems these just a tad
too little cohesion in some of the vocal sections emotion wise, as if
something has been done a couple of times and put into place, rather than
emotionally being in place. Maybe I'm not making myself clear, but it's not
really a complaint, just an observation that initially struck me. But I
view things strangely anyway. My wife cut Black Coffee, and I tried and
tried to get her to really represent what the words said the emotion was.
You know, lady sitting around the hovel smoking cigarettes, drinking coffee,
waiting and wondering if her man was coming home. Almost every version of
that song is the same lamenting expression, when in fact, I think we all
know that there's not one woman out there that wouldn't be exponentially
getting more ****ed as the minutes ticked off on the clock.

Again, basically all just bull**** on my part. The song works as is and
probably will spill over the radio in a wash of emotion, and when one looks
at it that way, what's to say? I don't have a 5X7 truck radio speaker, but
when I mono it, things do seem to snuggle a little more into position.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
Purchase your copy of the Fifth of RAP CD set at www.recaudiopro.net.
See how far $20 really goes.

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Roger W. Norman

Psychological impact. Good point, and maybe that's exactly what I'm having
the conflict with. It's like I want to get involved with the emotion of the
song, but there's something grating on me enough to keep me from getting
personally involved. I'm a spectator rather than someone that can find that
emotion evident in myself when I listen. It's one thing to listen to
someone lament over their problems, but it's a little more personal when you
KNOW exactly what they are going through.

Again, what do I know. I'm sitting in my basement studio listening to
someone else's song instead of doing my own work! g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
Purchase your copy of the Fifth of RAP CD set at www.recaudiopro.net.
See how far $20 really goes.

"Steve" wrote in message
m...
[...]

John L Rice

Hey, if I had always refused to try to work with something or someone that
was marginal and there was little hope of any real improvement I wouldn't of
reached the level I'm at today.

I'm going to take that as a personal compliment to myself. The rest of you .
.. . . . have at me.

"John L Rice" wrote in message

[...]

Roger W. Norman

Don't get touchy on me now. I'm just not sure what one would accomplish in
using an mp3, convert to wave, apply some "fixin's", and re-convert to mp3.
As a learning process, you can have at Broadway Billy's if you want. But
that might be a little too easy since it ALL needs fixin'! g

--

"John L Rice" wrote in message

[...]

Roger W. Norman

And, of course, you know the flipside. If you planned to put your mix out
here (and I'm not saying you did) then you'd pretty much know that it was
going to get the treatment you wanted and won't go anywhere else, except
perhaps to some people who's abilities to influence your client's future may
reside. There's nothing wrong with taking a shot if it were a promotional
move. And if it wasn't, then you may have gotten some reasonable
information on protecting the song. But one wonders just how a person with
your self professed experience would want this particular song up for
comment. I mean, there's been tons of readily listenable music on the
newsgroup, and we do the RAP CD somewhat every year, and this particular
piece of music is basically decent to listen to if you're washing dishes or
something similarly mundane, but I believe even Bil Vorndick would agree
that, even though it has something, but it hasn't cooked enough.

And believe me, I realize that I'm the ONLY one saying this. But somehow it
doesn't encompass me in the emotion enough, and I'm not sure if it's a mix
problem or an initial tracking problem. If you've felt the same way and
have tried to work over it with pitch adjustments and comping, then you know
what I mean. Others may not. ****, you may not. But I'm not just
guessing, I'm certain that it could be a good song, it's just not there yet.

But hey, I'm just a cellar dweller and I've been wrong before.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
Purchase your copy of the Fifth of RAP CD set at www.recaudiopro.net.
See how far $20 really goes.

"David Kalmusky" wrote in message
says...
Well, the possibility of losing distribution control certainly exists as
soon as you have it available just one time on the web. You'll never

know
where it actually ends up now. Next time, maybe put out a few sections

in
question, or a 1 minute piece or something that won't put the whole song

up
for grabs. Of course, it's hard to critique a mix with a smattering of
music, too.

True - excellent point, it was a little stupid of me.. you're
absolutely right.... sections of a piece, even roughly edited..fading
in and out of crutial sections.... great idea !
--
David Kalmusky

Visit the "DRAWER OF SHAME" if you dare,
audio that should never be heard !!!
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40

Or...

Post your crazy studio mishaps,
and funny studio stories, in my
"studio stories forum"
http://www.kalmusky.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6

Thomas 'point' Friedrichs

David Kalmusky wrote:
In article , std1117

snip
thanks for your great comments.

Well, i´m a little late here...but as i really like the song, i
"mastered" it as well (of course, to my personal taste, which in this
case may very well be somewhat different to your idea, David, as far as
i can judge it form the thread. Nevertheless, i think even if you should
dislike it, it sure would help to even better define your ideas about
the song).

www.rotfilm.de/music

The main thing i missed, when having listened several times to the song,
was a certain "homogenic thickness", an acoustic unitiy (I´m not sure
whether this expression hits the point, as i´m no native english
speaker). The songs has without doubt its strengths IMHO in an superb
sentimentality, a "breakiness", a credible, touching closeness; so, i
understand all to well (and respect) your idea of "keeping it natural".

The arrangement has a lot of arpeggiating instruments, but no "glue" in
the background, that binds it all together, something, you can let
yourself fall into.... Dont get me wrong, you did a beautifull work in
arranging a tightlywoven, yet transparent arrangement; it represents
perfectly the breakiness of the singers´ emotional situation - but i
guess, thats how we judge it by selectively listening and reflecting. A
normal listener simply wants attraction and feeling comfortable - if
thats done musically artfull, most listeners dont care too much ;-). And
i feel, that some "glueing" it all together could add to making it even
more attractive.

Now, as i only have the 2-track, i was restricted to do this mainly by
means of compression and some room, which, of course, includes
instruments, i would rather not send into reverb, like bass and kick,
but anyway...

Should a sad, thin emotion as well sound a little "sad" and thin? Or
should even a sad emotion sound exciting, a little "blown up-jumping to
the face", like it has become standard?

I personally tend a little (!) more to the second idea. Its like
comparing two pictures of unattractive, grey industrial complexes, one
of them on glossy paper, the other on normal paper... even if the
content is "dull", the media should not necessarily be, if we want
attraction... but, as i said, i have full respect for the other
standpoint as well.

If it was in arrangement-phase btw and one wanted to avoid synth-pads
for "glueing", to stay in the "acoustic frame", a dark hammond, maybe
evolving in overtones along to vers/chorus, or a harmonium (spl?) comes
to mind. But as we all bite our tounges, you haven´t read anything about
that. ;-)

I worked with Ozone2 and Wavelab on my PC-speakers, used +eq on the bass
(could have been a little steeper, when listening now), dropped presence
a little, and used all of the rest (multibandcompression, reverb,
exciter, maximizer, and stereowidth) rather carefully - at least i hope
i did. ;-).

I definitely won some experiences by and enjoyed working on that
beautiful piece of music.

So i really wish you all the best with your song. It really deserves
every success, and i would love to hear it soon on the air.

bye
Thomas