Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 66zdd2902@sneakemail.com is offline

Default Best noise-resisting earmuffs or noise-canceling headphones?

I live in a super-noisy house and need to create a quiet place to
study. I've tried the Peltor NRR-30 earmuffs, but they create a vacuum-
like environment in my ears that makes them hurt a lot. Ear plugs
don't work at all; I've tried most of them.

My remaining options are trying some other powerful earmuffs that
don't create a painful vacuum environment or using some noise-
canceling headphone things. Any recommendations?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
I live in a super-noisy house and need to create a quiet place to
study. I've tried the Peltor NRR-30 earmuffs, but they create a
vacuum-
like environment in my ears that makes them hurt a lot. Ear plugs
don't work at all; I've tried most of them.

My remaining options are trying some other powerful earmuffs that
don't create a painful vacuum environment or using some noise-
canceling headphone things. Any recommendations?

There are professional ear-plugs (both "generic" and custom-
moulded) which feature guaranteed sound attenuation and
are used by people working every day in damaging environments.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
andrejs eigus andrejs eigus is offline

There are professional ear-plugs (both "generic" and custom-
moulded) which feature guaranteed sound attenuation and
are used by people working every day in damaging environments.

Richard, why wouldn't you provide examples for both generic and
custom-moulded ear-plugs that you consider of professional level?

-andrejs

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , andrejs eigus wrote:
There are professional ear-plugs (both "generic" and custom-
moulded) which feature guaranteed sound attenuation and
are used by people working every day in damaging environments.

Richard, why wouldn't you provide examples for both generic and
custom-moulded ear-plugs that you consider of professional level?

I'll put my good word in for the Etymotic 4 ones. My wife got a set of
Live Wires (well, actually only one since she has only one ear) and is
happy with them too.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"andrejs eigus" wrote ...
There are professional ear-plugs (both "generic" and custom-
moulded) which feature guaranteed sound attenuation and
are used by people working every day in damaging environments.

Richard, why wouldn't you provide examples for both generic and
custom-moulded ear-plugs that you consider of professional level?

http://www.etymotic.com/ is one of the most highly regarded
vendors I read about in various Usenet newsgroups. They make
both transducers and straight ear-plugs, both "generic" and
custom-moulded to your ear.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Russell Dawkins Russell Dawkins is offline

On Dec 14, 9:01 am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"andrejs eigus" wrote ...

There are professional ear-plugs (both "generic" and custom-
moulded) which feature guaranteed sound attenuation and
are used by people working every day in damaging environments.

Richard, why wouldn't you provide examples for both generic and
custom-moulded ear-plugs that you consider of professional level?

http://www.etymotic.com/is one of the most highly regarded
vendors I read about in various Usenet newsgroups. They make
both transducers and straight ear-plugs, both "generic" and
custom-moulded to your ear.

and I would add - think twice before going to the trouble and expense
of custom moulded. I got custom moulds made for my Etymotice ER4Ss
and, apart from being extremely awkward to get in/out compared to the
flanged tips, they also sound no better - perhaps not as good. When I
told Etymotic about this they said they found the same thing. I was
going on street buzz and assumptions, when I should have been
conferring with the horse's mouth.
I'd just get a pair or two of their stock units.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Russell Dawkins wrote:
and I would add - think twice before going to the trouble and expense
of custom moulded. I got custom moulds made for my Etymotice ER4Ss
and, apart from being extremely awkward to get in/out compared to the
flanged tips, they also sound no better - perhaps not as good. When I
told Etymotic about this they said they found the same thing. I was
going on street buzz and assumptions, when I should have been
conferring with the horse's mouth.

I find the custom molds don't sound any better, but they do have slightly
better isolation, especially in the midrange. That's worth the trouble
for me.

I'd just get a pair or two of their stock units.

I believe you can do this, then have custom earmolds fitted to them later
if you change your mind.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

In article , andrejs eigus
wrote:
There are professional ear-plugs (both "generic" and
custom- moulded) which feature guaranteed sound
attenuation and
are used by people working every day in damaging
environments.

Richard, why wouldn't you provide examples for both
generic and custom-moulded ear-plugs that you consider
of professional level?

I'll put my good word in for the Etymotic 4 ones. My
wife got a set of Live Wires (well, actually only one
since she has only one ear) and is happy with them too.

I have a pair of Etymotic 6's, which I don't particularly like. They came
out with the 6is shortly after, which sound like they correct many of my
reservation about the 6s.

As you move up Shure's IEM line, you get more extended response. They are
all smooth, but they get more bass and treble extension, and a little higher
efficiency as you pay more money.

Until lately Sennheiser OEMed Futuresonics , which I like best of all.

Just about any respectible consumer electronics store will have Sony MDREX71
IEMs, which sound something like 7506s.

This market segment has really exploded lately.