Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Headphones search & review

I've been searching for new headphones for about 3 months now and about
the only thing I've accomplished is to rule out a few models. Here's
my situation:

I listen to my iPod at work for several hours non-stop daily, so the
headphones must be comfortable and they can't leak. I have small,
sensitive ears and have found that anything resting on or wrapped
around my ears for more than 20 minutes is painful. I find closed cans
to be the most comfortable on my ears, but most of the ones I've tried
out make the top of my head hurt after a while. My taste in music
spans the entire spectrum -- classical, oldies, reggae, rock, you name
it.

I live in a rural area where it's impossible to try out more than a few
of the most commonly available models, so I really need to rely on
reviews in order to determine whether a particular headset is a
potential fit for me. The most comfortable ones I've tried are the Bose
Triports -- I think that's because of the thin headband -- but they
leak.

I've managed to find a couple of web sites with literally 100's of
reviews, but at the rate I'm going, it's going to take me months to get
through all of them. So I just joined this list hoping to find a few
experts that will at least allow me to put together a short list for
continuing my research.

I'm willing to spend a couple hundred bucks for the right headphones.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Also check out:
http://www.head-fi.org/

This is a very active and knowledgable community of headphone fanatics.
(These guys LOVE their headphones).

Mike

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andy Katz

I do think you're looking for an IEM style headphone, such as the
Etymotic ER4p or Shure e4.

Headroom is great. You can't go wrong dealing with them. I first got
into higher-end headphonics via Headroom. And definitely do check out
headfi.org.

Another possibility is the Koss ksc75. I've never tried them. They're
clip-on headphones that run ~20.00, but people who have access to
$1000.00 headphones swear by the Koss's. Furthermore you ought to be
able to try them out before buying.

Andy Katz
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Michael

wrote:
[...]

Sennheiser HD650 - Fantastic sound, you can wear them forever. Don't
suspect an Ipod has enough power for them. I use Headroom's headphone
amplifier to get the level sufficient. Sometimes I don't even realize I
am wearing them long after the music has stopped.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

It's very hard to beat the Sony MDR-CD900ST for a portable.

http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/MoreInfo/MDR-CD900ST/

It's available from:

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/So...eadphones.html

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Michael wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Not everyone finds these to be comfortable.. the pressure is much
higher than the K501, for example. In hot climes the Sennheiser's are
like wearing earmuffs--making one much too warm. Also these are far
beyond his budget.

If he wants a really high-resolution Sennheiser 'phone, the HD580 is
closer to his budget, but still uncomfortable to me.

The PX-100 portable headphones are way more comfortable, and sure, not
a high resolution 'phone, but they are a good value for $60.

I wonder if he would

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Closed Phones Read He
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21917
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mike Gilmour

"Andy Katz" wrote in message
I do think you're looking for an IEM style headphone, such as the
Etymotic ER4p or Shure e4.

Headroom is great. You can't go wrong dealing with them. I first got
into higher-end headphonics via Headroom. And definitely do check out
headfi.org.

Another possibility is the Koss ksc75. I've never tried them. They're
clip-on headphones that run ~20.00, but people who have access to
$1000.00 headphones swear by the Koss's. Furthermore you ought to be
able to try them out before buying.

Andy Katz

The Etymotic ER-4P is a nice sounding IEM if you don't mind the feel in your
ear canal, you do get used to it though. Two caveats however, you've got to
have a good seal for bass and they are not flat in frequency response, a
small eq circuit can be built to mostly correct this.

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dennis Moore

I agree on the KCS Koss phones. Think some models are KCS55 and
some 75 depending on the headband configuration. They are surprisingly
good. The band that fits over the ears, back of the neck and below where
a cap would go were surprisingly comfortable to wear. I thought looking
at them they would be awful. But they were pretty good, and light as any
short of Etymotics.

Dennis
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
me

In article ,
Andy Katz wrote:

Another possibility is the Koss ksc75. I've never tried them. They're
clip-on headphones that run ~20.00, but people who have access to
$1000.00 headphones swear by the Koss's.

I've been using these with my iPod for several months now. They do
sound pretty amazing for the money -- though I must admit I have
never listened to thousand-dollar headphones. Comfortable, too, even
though I wear glasses. My only criticisms are that the earpads don't
seem to be replaceable (too much to expect for $20, I guess) and
that the connection between the earpieces and the speakers is only a
friction fit and loosens over time.

sd

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
David Clayton

I am very impressed by the Grado SR80. So much so, everyone in my
family now has a pair.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

I've been very impolitely silent ever since posting my question because
I've been totally swamped at work, but I wanted to at least take the
time to thank everyone who responded with lots of extremely helpful
information. Thanks to all of you who responded, I no longer have that
glazed stare as I read yet another headphones review

I'm much closer to making a decision than I would have been without
your help. You're a great bunch!!!

Brenda