Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sune TB Sune TB is offline

Default semi-portable setup

Hi

Im looking for advice on what to buy.

Im looking for a laptop pc and a USB/Firewire interface with at least 8
analogue 24/96 in and out. And one digital input and at least two mic
preamps.

I want to use it as a small and simple recording studio based on line
signals plus 2-4 mics (with a DBX preamp and DA-converter I have) AND I
want to record concerts in the same manner or borrow/rent some preamps
and mics according to what I record.

So Im looking for flexibility. But I want it to be reliable and sound
fair too.

So I have been looking at the MOTU UltraLite
http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite

And Marian UCON CX http://www.marian.de/en/products/ucon_cx

The MOTU cost a little bit more than the Marian, but it has some
advantages like 10 inputs, and is in one box.

On the other hand the Marian has four mic preamps.

With regard to speed and reliability, does it make a difference that USB
is a bit slower than Firewire?
I know I can get a pcmcia firewire card, but I think it is simpler (and
nicer) not to be dependent on PCs having Firewire, but on the other hand
if it is more reliable and fast I think that would be preferrable.

With regard to sound quality: Has anyone opinions on which is better of
the interfaces? (of course I am far more interested in the AD-converters
and the electronics overall, than the DAs).

Im also interested in opinions and facts of any kind like if anyone
heard of driver issues, stability issues, good or bad support whatever..

And the tough one: How should I choose which computer to buy? (not
necesarily=which laptop should I buy)

My budget is around $ 1600 / € 1300 for interface AND laptop.

I heard that centrino processors are good and that one should have 1 GB
of ram and a fast internal harddisk. Then I would buy an external disk
for the recorded sound. Is it a problem to record directly to USB/FW
disk with 8-10 channels of 24/96 sound when using USB/FW interface?

I saw in an earlier thread here that bigger brands are often a good idea
because they have support and tend more to use the same hardware than
smaller brands.
But that is a rather vague guideline - any help here would be a great
help, since i never ever bought a laptop before.

Thanks in advance

Sune
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] yarock@aol.com is offline

Sune TB wrote:
[...]

I'm using a Motu Traveler and a Behringer 8000 converter witha Dell
5110 Inspiron. The Motu gives you 4 mic pres and 4 line ins, and the
Behringer gives you 8 more inputs (xlr or 1/4").
I'm running Nuendo and it's working well, as long as you power up in a
certain way.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sune TB Sune TB is offline

wrote:
Sune TB wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bruce!

What lead you to buy that laptop?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Thomas Bishop Thomas Bishop is offline

"Sune TB" wrote in message...
Im looking for advice on what to buy.

Im looking for a laptop pc and a USB/Firewire interface with at least 8
analogue 24/96 in and out. And one digital input and at least two mic
preamps.

I am looking into buying a laptop and will be going with the latest/greatest
from Dell. I want to be able to record 32-40 tracks if necessary, so
processing power and RAM are where I'll be spending my money. I looked at
the MOTU gear but decided on a mixer instead (Mackie Onyx 1640). I need to
be able to mix live to two track as well as multitrack. I have used MOTU in
the past with great results so whatever you decide on I think you will
enjoy.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
robin robin is offline

Sune TB wrote:

Im looking for a laptop pc and a USB/Firewire interface with at least 8
analogue 24/96 in and out. And one digital input and at least two mic
preamps.

What you need is a Fireface 400 which has 2 mic pre-amps and a total
of 8 analogue I/O or the Fireface 800 with 8 mic ins. Check out the
RME site for details.

So Im looking for flexibility. But I want it to be reliable and sound
fair too.

The Fireface 400 is very flexible for a half-rack unit. It's got an
ADAT interface so you can increase the I/O by 8 whenever you need to.

With regard to speed and reliability, does it make a difference that USB
is a bit slower than Firewire?

Yes, but maybe not for the reasons you think. It's more a bandwidth
issue. I am sure others can explain better than I, or (once again)
read the exhaustive info RME have made available.

I know I can get a pcmcia firewire card, but I think it is simpler (and
nicer) not to be dependent on PCs having Firewire, but on the other hand
if it is more reliable and fast I think that would be preferrable.

The reasons you want to go Firewire include better bandwidth sharing
and the fact that other devices are less likely to be on the bus,
unless there's an external Firewire HD somewhere. Use USB for consumer
stuff and Firewire for the pro gear you need to make your gig a
success.

I heard that centrino processors are good and that one should have 1 GB
of ram and a fast internal harddisk. Then I would buy an external disk
for the recorded sound. Is it a problem to record directly to USB/FW
disk with 8-10 channels of 24/96 sound when using USB/FW interface?

Lots of people do it. Get a dual core Centrino with 1GB RAM and a 5400
rpm drive. It's all commodity stuff. The big issue is the Firewire
controller and most of the time you won't know who makes it or if it
will work with your outboard gear. Again, RME have gone to insane
lengths to ensure compatibility is as broad as possible.

I saw in an earlier thread here that bigger brands are often a good idea
because they have support and tend more to use the same hardware than
smaller brands.

Buy an ASUS, Toshiba, Samsung or IBM. But you'll find the ASUS to be
cheaper for the same spec. Ergonomics like the monitor size and
computer weight are deciding factors more often than techy spec stuff.

-----
robin
noisetheatre.blogspot.com

Ugrade stereo setup to multichannel - help/suggestions. Arthur High End Audio 2 May 3rd 06 01:26 AM
DIY but exceptionally high end semi portable HA system made with pro recording studio equipment [email protected] High End Audio 2 August 21st 05 04:35 PM
Is this setup possible? Abhi Car Audio 1 November 25th 04 06:02 PM
Save and Recall PC CMOS Setup Mike Rivers Pro Audio 13 April 1st 04 07:40 PM
How-to setup a portable MP3 player for car use, but no radio in the car? C.J. Salzano Car Audio 1 October 23rd 03 08:25 PM