Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Default CAN CUBASE LE TRANSCRIBE MY PIANO PERFORMANCE???

This is a question from a MIDI Newbie.

I'm considering getting the Tascam US-1641:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ace?sku=245002

It comes with Cubase LE, and has MIDI in and out. I read that
with Protools LE,
you are able to create a musical transcription of your MIDI
performance, and modify it, so
you can fix any mistakes, or even use any other voice with the
performance that you want to try.

Will I be able to do the same with Cubase LE?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

* * * * * *http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...641-USB-2.0-Au...

* * * * It comes with Cubase LE, and has MIDI in and out. *I read that
with Protools LE,
you are able to create a musical transcription of your MIDI
performance, and modify it, so
you can fix any mistakes, or even use any other voice with the
performance that you want to try.

* * * *Will I be able to do the same with Cubase LE?

Looks like you can do the same with Cubase LE:

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cub...ng_Started.pdf

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Sun, 30 May 2010 14:51:26 -0700 (PDT), Paul
wrote:

This is a question from a MIDI Newbie.

I'm considering getting the Tascam US-1641:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ace?sku=245002

It comes with Cubase LE, and has MIDI in and out. I read that
with Protools LE,
you are able to create a musical transcription of your MIDI
performance, and modify it, so
you can fix any mistakes, or even use any other voice with the
performance that you want to try.

Will I be able to do the same with Cubase LE?

It depends what you mean by "Transcribe". If you want a notated copy
of your performance, no, I think Cubase LE lacks the Score Edit
feature - you have to buy the full Cubase for that. But be warned
that Score Edit may not be all you hoped for. You need to play quite
accurately to a click in order to get any meaningful notation.
Sequencers have other ways of displaying data for editing that are
generally rather more useful, even for trained musicians used to
notation.

If by "transcription" you mean record it and display it in a way
allowing editing, yes, this is the basic function of any MIDI
sequencer. And once your notes have been captured they can be
re-routed to any other instrument that recognises MIDI. Sequencers
generally include a selection of these as software (though you should
check the exact features of "lite" versions bundled with keyboards
etc.)

You are aware, of course, that the Tascam you are considering is
primarily a multi-channel audio interface. It would be very useful if
you intend to record up to 16 audio sources simultaneously - e.g.
recording a whole band with multiple microphones. But you can build
up 16 (or more) tracks in a sequencer program without needing 16
SIMULTANEOUS inputs. Maybe you only need one stereo pair. From what
you say about using MIDI, maybe you just need a simple MIDI interface.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
The MAN The MAN is offline

wrote:

[...]

No, Cubase LE includes the Score Edit function (see page 56).

[...]

Yes, I'll be wanting to record live bands.

But do most mixer boards have XLR line outs? because the 8
inputs on
the front of this unit are only XLR.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

The MAN wrote:

But do most mixer boards have XLR line outs? because the 8
inputs on the front of this unit are only XLR.

Oy! Someone else who thinks that you have to connect XLRs to
XLRs. The 8 XLR inputs on the US-1641 are for microphones.
The four 1/4" inputs jacks on the rear are for line level
outputs which you'd typically get from a console. You could
use the eight mic inputs to connect to a console, but you'd
need to adapt them by attenuating the line level signal from
a mixer, and providing a higher input impdance so it doesn't
load the console output. It's a simple job for someone
comfortable with building custom cables, but it's something
that would be expensive to buy.

of audio." - John Watkinson

Posted to rec.audio.pro
The MAN The MAN is offline

On May 30, 8:25*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
The MAN wrote:
* * * *But do most mixer boards have XLR line outs? *because the 8
inputs on the front of this unit are only XLR.

Oy! Someone else who thinks that you have to connect XLRs to
XLRs. The 8 XLR inputs on the US-1641 are for microphones.
The four 1/4" inputs jacks on the rear are for line level
outputs which you'd typically get from a console. You could
use the eight mic inputs to connect to a console, but you'd
need to adapt them by attenuating the line level signal from
a mixer, and providing a higher input impdance so it doesn't
load the console output. It's a simple job for someone
comfortable with building custom cables, but it's something
that would be expensive to buy.

That's exactly my point. They are only XLRs on the US-1641.

I'm thinking the Digidesign 003 would be better:

http://beatlabusa.com/images/003.jpg

Because it has a direct input in addition to each XLR, which
would make recording from a mixer board easier.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

The MAN wrote:
http://beatlabusa.com/images/003.jpg

Because it has a direct input in addition to each XLR, which
would make recording from a mixer board easier.

XLRs are the normal connection that everybody uses for line level balanced
signals. Sometimes you will also see 1/4" phone plugs, so it's good to have
cables for those as well.

I don't suppose you're THE MAN from WebTV again, are you?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
The MAN The MAN is offline

On May 31, 7:07*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
The MAN wrote:

* * * * * * * * *http://beatlabusa.com/images/003.jpg

* * *Because it has a direct input in addition to each XLR, which
would make recording from a mixer board easier.

XLRs are the normal connection that everybody uses for line level balanced
signals. *Sometimes you will also see 1/4" phone plugs, so it's good to have
cables for those as well.

But many of the smaller mixer boards I have seen do not
have XLR line level outputs, so the Tascam US-1641 would not
be as good for this, especially since you would have to attenuate
the signal, because the inputs to the Tascam are mic inputs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

The MAN wrote:

http://beatlabusa.com/images/003.jpg
Because it has a direct input in addition to each XLR, which
would make recording from a mixer board easier.

XLRs are the normal connection that everybody uses for line level balanced
signals. Sometimes you will also see 1/4" phone plugs, so it's good to have
cables for those as well.

But many of the smaller mixer boards I have seen do not
have XLR line level outputs, so the Tascam US-1641 would not
be as good for this, especially since you would have to attenuate
the signal, because the inputs to the Tascam are mic inputs.

Apart from the balanced line level TRS jack sockets and SP-DIF inputs on
the back panel, that is.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
The MAN The MAN is offline

The MAN wrote:

* * * * * * * * *http://beatlabusa.com/images/003.jpg
* * *Because it has a direct input in addition to each XLR, which
would make recording from a mixer board easier.
XLRs are the normal connection that everybody uses for line level balanced
signals. *Sometimes you will also see 1/4" phone plugs, so it's good to have
cables for those as well.

* * * *But many of the smaller mixer boards I have seen do not
have XLR line level outputs, so the Tascam US-1641 would not
be as good for this, especially since you would have to attenuate
the signal, because the inputs to the Tascam are mic inputs.

Apart from the balanced line level TRS jack sockets and SP-DIF inputs on
the back panel, that is.

But then I would lose the use of the 8 inputs on the front when
recording from a
live mixer board?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

The MAN wrote:

But many of the smaller mixer boards I have seen do not
have XLR line level outputs, so the Tascam US-1641 would not
be as good for this, especially since you would have to attenuate
the signal, because the inputs to the Tascam are mic inputs.

Exactly. But the fact that many mixers don't have XLR line
or direct outputs isn't the reason why this isn't a good
match. You can adapt those easily. What's more difficult to
adapt is a line output on a 1/4" jack or DB25 connector to a
mic input. Some mixers have mic level outputs on XLRs, but
usually just the main stereo mix, not individual channels,
subgroups, or auxiliary outputs.

of audio." - John Watkinson
Posted to rec.audio.pro

The MAN wrote:

But many of the smaller mixer boards I have seen do not
have XLR line level outputs, so the Tascam US-1641 would not
be as good for this, especially since you would have to attenuate
the signal, because the inputs to the Tascam are mic inputs.

Uhh... okay, you're talking about two totally unrelated things here.

First of all the connector.. it doesn't matter. If you're working on
some kind of bargain basement mixer that has only 1/4" TRS outputs,
then you use TRS to XLR cables. If you're going to interoperate with
other folks' equipment, you're going to need a wide variety of cables
available.

The second is the input.... and if it's a mike level input, it's not
what you want at all. That DOES matter.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

The MAN wrote:
http://beatlabusa.com/images/003.jpg
Because it has a direct input in addition to each XLR, which
would make recording from a mixer board easier.
XLRs are the normal connection that everybody uses for line level balanced
signals. Sometimes you will also see 1/4" phone plugs, so it's good to have
cables for those as well.
But many of the smaller mixer boards I have seen do not
have XLR line level outputs, so the Tascam US-1641 would not
be as good for this, especially since you would have to attenuate
the signal, because the inputs to the Tascam are mic inputs.

Apart from the balanced line level TRS jack sockets and SP-DIF inputs on
the back panel, that is.

But then I would lose the use of the 8 inputs on the front when
recording from a
live mixer board?

Nope, you get 6 line ins, four on the back, two on the front, the front
two of which can be switched as high impedance inputs for guitars and so
on, and eight microphone inputs, which, with not too much trouble or
expense, can be padded to use as line inputs, if that's what you need,
and a stereo SP-DIF digital input for a total of 16 simultaneous inputs.
The components to pad the mic inputs will easily fit into a standard XLR
- TRS adaptor body, or you can buy the adaptors off the shelf from most
of the audio supply firms I deal with. Whether your computer can handle
all this as well as the four independent analogue and two digital output
channels over USB is another matter, of course.

http://www.tascam.com/i-3616-232-128-0-DDC66B26.pdf

Has all the gory details.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
The MAN The MAN is offline

The MAN wrote:
[...]

Yeah, this looks easy:

http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/

Although many mixer boards appear not to have individual
line outs for each channel, but rather AUX sends. It would be nice
to record each channel separately during a live gig.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
The MAN The MAN is offline

On May 31, 11:56*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
The MAN wrote:

* * * But many of the smaller mixer boards I have seen do not
have XLR line level outputs, so the Tascam US-1641 would not
be as good for this, especially since you would have to attenuate
the signal, because the inputs to the Tascam are mic inputs.

Uhh... okay, you're talking about two totally unrelated things here.

First of all the connector.. it doesn't matter. *If you're working on
some kind of bargain basement mixer that has only 1/4" TRS outputs,
then you use TRS to XLR cables. *If you're going to interoperate with
other folks' equipment, you're going to need a wide variety of cables
available.

The second is the input.... and if it's a mike level input, it's not
what you want at all. *That DOES matter.

My point is that this all means the Digidesign 003 rack+
would be a bit easier recording off a mixer board, because it has
1/4" line level inputs, in addition to the XLR mic level inputs:

http://www.resolutionproaudio.com/fe...s/digi003+.gif

But even if I got the Tascam, the attenuators would be easy to
make
anyways. I would prefer to get the mic level signals from the stage
first,
from a signal-to-noise ratio point of view, but I imagine it won't
matter much.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Mon, 31 May 2010 15:47:13 -0700 (PDT), The MAN
wrote:

Although many mixer boards appear not to have individual
line outs for each channel, but rather AUX sends. It would be nice
to record each channel separately during a live gig.

They'll have insert points on each channel though. These are
typically used to "sniff" a direct out.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

The MAN wrote:

My point is that this all means the Digidesign 003 rack+
would be a bit easier recording off a mixer board, because it has
1/4" line level inputs, in addition to the XLR mic level inputs:

If "easy" - as in you don't have to know anything about
interfacing in order to hook it up, then sure. Go for it.
But this is not rocket science.

Thing is that the TASCAM interface that you're looking at is
really not well suited for what you want to do, which is
connect it to a mixer. It's designed to be the input device
for a studio that doesn't have a mixer. The Digidesign 003R
is also designed around a similar concept (remember, it's a
component of Pro Tools LE, in which mixing is an important
function). While it does have 8 1/4" line level input jacks,
it has a lot of other inputs and outputs that you may never
use. Frankly, I don't understand why TASCAM didn't go the
route of most other manufacturers like this and make
combination mic/line inputs (there's a 1/4" line input
connector in the middle of the XLR), but they didn't. Have
you looked at any other interfaces? M-Audio and Presonus
make hardware that's more appropriate. That's why I
suggested that you go to a store and do some looking around.
That will help you to focus your Internet search for
equipment and also help you to understand what you need and
what you don't need.

I would prefer to get the mic level signals from the stage
first,
from a signal-to-noise ratio point of view, but I imagine it won't
matter much.

Do you even need a mixer? Is this going to be to make
recordings of a live show with PA? Have you considered a
mixer with a built-in direct computer interface such as the
Mackie Onyx i series, PreSonus StudioLive, Allen & Heath
ZED-R16, or even some of the less expensive mixers from
Phonic or Alesis?

of audio." - John Watkinson
Posted to rec.audio.pro
The MAN The MAN is offline

On May 31, 5:27*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
The MAN wrote:
[...]

Agreed that Tascam should have included 1/4" line level inputs
with the mic XLRs.

I would prefer to get the mic level signals from the stage
first,
from a signal-to-noise ratio point of view, but I imagine it won't
matter much.

Do you even need a mixer? Is this going to be to make
recordings of a live show with PA? Have you considered a
mixer with a built-in direct computer interface such as the
Mackie Onyx i series, PreSonus StudioLive, Allen & Heath
ZED-R16, or even some of the less expensive mixers from
Phonic or Alesis?

I'm going to be doing mostly at home recording, with some
live recording of bands, perhaps with a laptop, coming directly from
the mixer board. I don't want to buy a mixer. But i would like to
record from most mixers used in your typical live gig, with as much
channel
separation as possible. This later part because a simple two channel
stereo
mix from the board will obviously seriously limit what you can do with
the recording.

So far, the Digidesign 003 Rack+ looks to be the best
candidate
for this, but it's about $1200 more than the Tascam. Many believe the
price difference is largely due to the Protools hype.

If anyone can suggest something better than the US-1641, in a
similar
price range, i'd love to hear about it.....
Posted to rec.audio.pro

The MAN wrote:

Although many mixer boards appear not to have individual
line outs for each channel, but rather AUX sends. It would be nice
to record each channel separately during a live gig.

If you don't have inserts or direct outputs on the console where you can
steal signal, you'll just have to bite the bullet and do it properly with
mike splitters.

You _are_ the guy from WebTV, aren't you?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
The MAN The MAN is offline

On May 31, 7:12*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
The MAN wrote:

* * * Although many mixer boards appear not to have individual
line outs for each channel, but rather AUX sends. *It would be nice
to record each channel separately during a live gig.

If you don't have inserts or direct outputs on the console where you can
steal signal, you'll just have to bite the bullet and do it properly with
mike splitters.

You mean like with this one:

http://www.music123.com/ART-S8-8-Cha...source=ZWNTWXX

Or I could get some of these:

http://compare.ebay.com/spid/2951836...ShippingLowest

Yes, thank you. Good advice.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

The MAN wrote:

I'm going to be doing mostly at home recording, with some
live recording of bands, perhaps with a laptop, coming directly from
the mixer board. I don't want to buy a mixer. But i would like to
record from most mixers used in your typical live gig, with as much
channel
separation as possible.

There's no standardized "direct" output for mixers. Many
indeed have channel insert jacks (though not all mixer, and
some have then on some, but not all channels) which can be
used as direct outputs, but that's something that's best to
do with custom cables. And if the insert jack is being used
as part of the PA setup, for instance, if there's a
compressor connected to that channel using the insert, then
it's not available to you as a recording output. The most
universal on-stage recording setup is to split the mic
outputs, with one output going to the PA mixer and the other
output going to your recording rig - which brings you back
to Advantage TASCAM since it has mic level inputs. When
doing recordings in the field, you need to be ready to
connect to whatever gear you don't supply.

So far, the Digidesign 003 Rack+ looks to be the best
candidate
for this, but it's about $1200 more than the Tascam. Many believe the
price difference is largely due to the Protools hype.

Not only the Pro Tools hype, but that you can't buy it
without Pro Tools. I don't keep up with these things, so I
don't know if it's even possible to use the Digidesign 003
with other programs, for instance Cubase. If you think that
Pro Tools might be in your future but not right now, you
might look into what M-Audio has to offer. Many of their
interfaces are compatible with a special version of Pro
Tools which you can purchase when you're ready, but they
come with standard Windows drivers so they'll work with any
Windows audio program. Some have even been implemented
(third party) for Linux.

The PreSonus Firestudio Project (8 combo mic/line inputs) is
very well thought out for working in a home studio without a
mixer and it ships with a new multi-function DAW program
Studio One Artist - not as well known as Cubase, but has a
much more musician-friendly learning curve. The Firestudio
2626 adds 2 ADAT optical ports for an additional 16
channels, to which you can connect an 8-channel mic preamp
with ADAT outputs, or connect it to a mixer that had ADAT
I/O. The PreSonus interfaces use a driver that's common
across the product line and which is capable of supporting
up to three interfaces. If you start out with a Firestudio
Project, for instance, and need some more inputs, you can
buy another one, or any of the other interfaces in the
Firestudio line, plug in the Firewire cable, and more inputs
and outputs will show up in your computer. Focusrite has a
similar line of interfaces in the Focusrite Pro series, also
combo mic/line inputs, some with ADAT I/O, and also with a
multi-device driver.

The trouble with buying an interface based on price alone is
that there's always going to be something missing. It may
not be obvious to you now, but it may rear its ugly head
sooner than later as you get down to work. Then you'll be
back here asking "How can I . . .. ?" and the unfortunate
answer will be "You can't." It's good to plan a little
ahead of what you think you need right now, and in order to
do so, you need to have a pretty good grasp of what you're
likely to encounter with your various setups. That's
something you mainly get with experience, but you can get a
good head start by talking to someone who has done things
similar to what you plan to do.

of audio." - John Watkinson
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"The MAN" wrote in message

If you don't have inserts or direct outputs on the
console where you can steal signal, you'll just have to
bite the bullet and do it properly with mike splitters.

You mean like with this one:

http://www.music123.com/ART-S8-8-Cha...source=ZWNTWXX

Or I could get some of these:

http://compare.ebay.com/spid/2951836...ShippingLowest

Mike splitters are a relatively expensive, complex way to go if you can grab
a direct output from the mixer's mic preamps via the Insert Outs.

The ART mic splitter runs $30 a channel, while a cable for tapping into the
Insert Out will run a fraction of the cost, particularly if you DIY the
cable.

The mic splitter also has a potential impact on the load impedance for the
mic, but this is usually not a problem.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

The MAN wrote:

I'm going to be doing mostly at home recording,
with some live recording of bands, perhaps with a
laptop, coming directly from the mixer board. I don't
want to buy a mixer. But i would like to record from
most mixers used in your typical live gig, with as much
channel separation as possible.

There's no standardized "direct" output for mixers. Many
indeed have channel insert jacks (though not all mixer,
and some have then on some, but not all channels) which
can be used as direct outputs, but that's something
that's best to do with custom cables. And if the insert
jack is being used as part of the PA setup, for instance,
if there's a compressor connected to that channel using
the insert, then it's not available to you as a recording
output.

Tapping into an insert loop that already has a processor in it, is not
exactly rocket science. You just need to add an appropriate "Y "cable.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Idiot Detector Idiot Detector is offline

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 07:59:01 -0400, Arny Krueger wrote:

Tapping into an insert loop that already has a processor in it, is not
exactly rocket science. You just need to add an appropriate "Y "cable.

You've already gone over his head.
Keep it simple

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
The MAN wrote:
On May 31, 7:12=A0pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
The MAN wrote:

=A0 =A0 =A0 Although many mixer boards appear not to have individual
line outs for each channel, but rather AUX sends. =A0It would be nice
to record each channel separately during a live gig.

If you don't have inserts or direct outputs on the console where you can
steal signal, you'll just have to bite the bullet and do it properly with
mike splitters.

You mean like with this one:

http://www.music123.com/ART-S8-8-Cha...-Mic-Splitter=
-180221-i1386012.Music123?source=3DZWNTWXX

Well..... I'm not sure I would trust a transformer in that price range, but
you could give it a try. Splitters avoid political problems.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

On 2010-06-01 (ScottDorsey) said:
If you don't have inserts or direct outputs on the console where
you can steal signal, you'll just have to bite the bullet and do
it properly with mike splitters.

You mean like with this one:

url deleted
Well..... I'm not sure I would trust a transformer in that price
range, but you could give it a try. Splitters avoid political
problems.

I'd mistrust cheap transformers in a split myself, mine are
good JEnsen transformers, and those are usually pricey.

Also, for MR. Man:

IF I"m using the inserts on a console for signal processing
and you show up, even if the performers are paying you my
priority is the butts in the seats that paid to hear the
performance. You're not going to tie into inserts I"m using
with any y cable or anything else chances are pretty good.
NOw if you show up with quality mic transformers, and your
own console, then we'll probably deal.

Hopefully, at your obvious level of experience in this
industry you're doing this as a hobby, and not being paid.

Not trying to just pee in your cornflakes here dude, but you
need some more experience before you're ready to charge
people real money for this, especially if you're looking pt
le and gear from guitar center.

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
Remote audio in the Memphis, Tn. area: see
www.gatasound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
The MAN The MAN is offline

On Jun 1, 4:42*am, Mike Rivers wrote:
The MAN wrote:
[...]

That looks like an interesting unit. At about $100 more
than the Tascam, as I don't expect to use ADAT opticals.

But some are packaging Cubase LE with it:

http://www.audiolines.com/Studio-Rec...-Project-69306

The trouble with buying an interface based on price alone is
that there's always going to be something missing. It may
not be obvious to you now, but it may rear its ugly head
sooner than later as you get down to work. Then you'll be
back here asking "How can I . . .. *?" and the unfortunate
answer will be "You can't." *It's good to plan a little
ahead of what you think you need right now, and in order to
do so, you need to have a pretty good grasp of what you're
likely to encounter with your various setups. That's
something you mainly get with experience, but you can get a
good head start by talking to someone who has done things
similar to what you plan to do.

of audio." - John Watkinson

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Moshe Moshe is offline

The MAN wrote:
[...]

Here is something that might be of interest:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ace_and.h tml

It comes with Cubase LE and Abelton Lite.

Price is $607 when put in your cart.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
The MAN The MAN is offline

The MAN wrote:
[...]

http://www.audiolines.com/Studio-Rec...io/Audio-Inter...

Here is something that might be of interest:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._MASTERCONTROL...

It comes with Cubase LE and Abelton Lite.

Price is $607 when put in your cart.

Another interesting box. But only 2 mic pre-amps.

And you are mainly paying the extra $ for the motorized
faders and control surface, etc. I've used Cubase before, and
I don't mind using a mouse for everything.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
The MAN The MAN is offline

The MAN wrote:
[...]

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it looks like the Firestudio
has 10 simultaneous inputs (8 on front, 2 digital), while the Tascam
has a total of 16.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Arny Krueger wrote:

Tapping into an insert loop that already has a processor in it, is not
exactly rocket science. You just need to add an appropriate "Y "cable.

To someone who considers having the same connector type as
his mixer an important factor in choosing an interface, a Y
cable IS rocket science. It's why I didn't go into the
"halfway into the Insert jack and why you shouldn't"
explanation this time around. And even if YOU understand
what you're about to do, the person with the PA system may
not want you to pull any of his cables. It may be a small
can of worms, but it's still a can of worms.

of audio." - John Watkinson
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Moshe Moshe is offline

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 18:30:52 -0400, Mike Rivers wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:

Tapping into an insert loop that already has a processor in it, is not
exactly rocket science. You just need to add an appropriate "Y "cable.

To someone who considers having the same connector type as
his mixer an important factor in choosing an interface, a Y
cable IS rocket science. It's why I didn't go into the
"halfway into the Insert jack and why you shouldn't"
explanation this time around. And even if YOU understand
what you're about to do, the person with the PA system may
not want you to pull any of his cables. It may be a small
can of worms, but it's still a can of worms.

Agreed.
The biggest can of worms however is that the 1/2 way
inserted cable is prone to pop out of the jack.
This depends upon the brand of plug of course,some are
better than others, but in general and especially in a
live recording situation.

This drives me crazy with Mackie gear.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Moshe wrote:

The biggest can of worms however is that the 1/2 way
inserted cable is prone to pop out of the jack.
This depends upon the brand of plug of course,some are
better than others, but in general and especially in a
live recording situation.

This drives me crazy with Mackie gear.

It's a problem with the jack, not the plug. The jacks on the
original Onyx series didn't do a very good job of gripping
the plug at the first "notch" but the VLZ3 seems to have
jacks that are better in this regard (as were the earlier
jacks they used, hence their support for this means of
connection).

If the plug pops out, that's a problem for recording, but if
it pops in (someone walks in front of the console and bumps
the plug) it can interrupt that channel in the PA. That's
why the live sound engineers are shy about that means of
connection.

OK, I said I wouldn't say it, but here it comes. It's easy
to make or modify a cable with a TRS plug on the console end
so the tip and ring are connected together. That way it can
be inserted fully and pick off the preamp output while
leaving the channel signal path intact. But that's where the
rocket science comes in.

of audio." - John Watkinson
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Moshe Moshe is offline

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 21:26:54 -0400, Mike Rivers wrote:

OK, I said I wouldn't say it, but here it comes. It's easy
to make or modify a cable with a TRS plug on the console end
so the tip and ring are connected together. That way it can
be inserted fully and pick off the preamp output while
leaving the channel signal path intact. But that's where the
rocket science comes in.

Bingo.
But that's where the OP is lost because he doesn't seem
to have the real world experience.
That's just my opinion, and I applaud him for asking
his questions and hopefully they have been answered.
That's what this forum is about.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Arny Krueger wrote:

Tapping into an insert loop that already has a processor
in it, is not exactly rocket science. You just need to
add an appropriate "Y "cable.

To someone who considers having the same connector type as
his mixer an important factor in choosing an interface, a
Y cable IS rocket science. It's why I didn't go into the
"halfway into the Insert jack and why you shouldn't"
explanation this time around. And even if YOU understand
what you're about to do, the person with the PA system may
not want you to pull any of his cables. It may be a small
can of worms, but it's still a can of worms.

I didn't get the impression from the OP that this was about syphoning audio
off of someone else's mixer.

Looking over the posts from "Paul", the OP, I don't see where he said this
is the case, but maybe I missed something.

I see where the issues relating to tapping into someone else's mixer entered
the discussion, but I don't think that the source of them was the OP.

Obviously, if you are tapping into someone else's rig, you play by their
rules.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Arny Krueger wrote:

I didn't get the impression from the OP that this was about syphoning audio
off of someone else's mixer.

I often try to read between the lines for missing
information. Sometimes I guess wrong. This came from a post
when someone (I assume the original poster - I don't keep
track) said that he wanted to use the interface in his home
studio and sometimes connect to a mixer. Since he didn't say
"My mixer, which is a vintage Mackie CR1604" I figured that
he might be thinking that mixers were all about the same and
all had convenient recording outputs to which he could
connect his interface.

of audio." - John Watkinson
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On Jun 2, 4:31*am, Mike Rivers wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
I didn't get the impression from the OP that this was about syphoning audio
off of someone else's mixer.

I often try to read between the lines for missing
information. Sometimes I guess wrong. This came from a post
when someone (I assume the original poster - I don't keep
track) said that he wanted to use the interface in his home
studio and sometimes connect to a mixer. Since he didn't say
"My mixer, which is a vintage Mackie CR1604" I figured that
he might be thinking that mixers were all about the same and
all had convenient recording outputs to which he could
connect his interface.

Basically in the ball park. As I wrote before, I'd like to
do multi-track recording at home, or in the field at any sort
of live gig for other bands. But since I cannot be guaranteed
an insert output from each channel, I may have to use a mic
splitter in some cases.

And the mic splitter (or attenuators) would solve the problem
of the Tascam US-1641 having only XLR mic inputs on 8 channels
on the front.

The Presonus Firestudio has 1/4" line-level inputs, but only
10 simultaneous inputs versus 16 on the US-1641 (not sure if
I will ever go that high, but nice to know). I don't see any side-by-
side
comparisons of how the pre-amps sound, so I'm just gonna have to
get the US-1641 and see if i like it as much as other people do.

Now the US-1641 has up to 16 simultaneous record inputs, and
of course the number of play-back tracks you can play during over-
dubbing
will depend on the speed of the computer. But I imagine it's
difficult
to predict how many you can play simultaneously while recording 16
tracks.

Just wondering, because I was reading about how Enya achieves
her
trademark sound by overdubbing her voice up to 80 times! Wow!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

The Presonus Firestudio has 1/4" line-level inputs, but only
10 simultaneous inputs versus 16 on the US-1641 (not sure if
I will ever go that high, but nice to know). I don't see any side-by-
side
comparisons of how the pre-amps sound, so I'm just gonna have to
get the US-1641 and see if i like it as much as other people do.

You won't see any side-by-side comparison of how mic preamps
sound, at least not a meaningful comparison or one you can
trust. I'm sure the TASCAM preamps are OK and that if you
were to do your own comparison, while you might notice a
difference, it wouldn't be like night and day.

You know, you could buy both and send back the one you like
the least. All of the on-line dealers have a reasonable
return policy because they know there are certain things
that you can't really find out until you have some actual
working experience with a device. It'll cost you for return
shipping, but ten or fifteen bucks is a small price to pay
for the opportunity to both compare the sound and the
functional features.

of audio." - John Watkinson
Posted to rec.audio.pro
chris- chris- is offline

The MAN wrote:
[...]

A lot of smaller mixers I've used (typically at live gigs) tend to
have the Aux sends as you say, but often also have Insert connections,
so I presume with the appropriate cabliing, these can be used to
output each channel separately to the computer input?

Chris
http://rolanddrums.org
http://gibsonacoustic.org