Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] producerdave@gmail.com is offline

Default Are there any labels out there?

As an independent producer I find myself making a record, then after
the record is done becoming the acting label for the artist. This can
be good and bad. Good in that more often then not I am the only one
that has the desire to get the record out to the world even though the
artist paid to create it. I think this is a function of artistic
expression and creative personalities. They either lose interest or
find the inspiration to start something new. This causes the current
record to lose importance to the artist. So the control and destiny of
the record falls back into my hands (the Producer) to put the record
into the world.
The bad part about being the acting label is that even though the
desire and knowledge exist to launch an artist, the financial
responsibility now becomes mine. Though the artist might never ask
for my financial support, I feel that, to further my work, I need to
present the world with projects I have finished. The best way to do
that is to try and break an artist. I need to find an avenue that can
take the finished record and create a community centered around that
record or the artist's beliefs, oh wait... that does exist already;
it's called a "Record Label." Hmmm!!! Guess I answered my own
question. Instead of trying to market to Millions of adoring fans I
find myself courting would be labels to promote my artist.
Enter the catch 22 of the 21st century... No labels will promote an
artist unless they have an overwhelming amount of fans, but they can't
get the fans unless the have an overwhelming amount of $$$$. So the
artist (and or Producer) has to go to the Internet and drift into a
sea of millions of potential fans. However the millions of self
proclaimed artists themselves, all with the typical musician attitude
of "Hum!! I can do that myself - but better," really control the
Internet channel in which I need to use to get to the other 2 billion
people that actually appreciate music.
Musicians create MUSIC. They typically don't appreciate other people's
music. Perhaps there are some feelings of jealousy at work here.
Still the question remains, are there any labels that exist that
actually want to develop a new artist rather then repackage artists
that are already making money?

CD labels Dave Van Haaren Car Audio 7 February 25th 05 08:33 PM
CD labels Ken Bouchard General 11 May 28th 04 08:07 PM
CD labels Ken Bouchard Tech 40 May 28th 04 08:07 PM
CD labels Ken Bouchard Pro Audio 40 May 28th 04 08:07 PM
CD labels Mike Rivers Audio Opinions 0 May 24th 04 08:03 PM