Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bro Barry Bro Barry is offline

Default Is reverb always used on the lead vocal in commercial/pop recordings?

On Mar 28, 9:28 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Bro Barry wrote:

Are you full time? How did you get into this line of work

I started as an intern at Master Sound, cutting 45s for jukeboxes.
Now I amhttp://www.kludgeaudio.com

cool, actually just read the whole site.
Sorry about your Velcro, I have 2 myself.

Do you look at many meters or just use your ear?

You have to use your ear AND the meters, because they tell you different
things. You can't mix with the meters, and you can't set level to tape
by ear.

good point about the meters.

about noise reduction. I thought it was just another plugin, I have a
plugin called, "noise remover" lol.. it works.. but it can also take
too much of the sound out.

I have found that it somehow magnifies the 400 cycle range.. things
begin to get honky if you know what I mean.

I never use it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bro Barry Bro Barry is offline

On Mar 28, 12:59 pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:

And YOUR credentials are what, exactly?

I'm all heart man! that's gotta count for something

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Bro Barry wrote:

about noise reduction. I thought it was just another plugin, I have a
plugin called, "noise remover" lol.. it works.. but it can also take
too much of the sound out.

Noise reduction is not one thing. It's dozens and dozens of things.

First there is traditional double-ended NR, where something is done to
reduce the dynamic range of the signal during recording and that is undone
in playback. This reduces the noise of the recording system. Dolby A, B, C,
Dbx II and II, and Telcom C4 are typical examples.

THEN there are single-ended noise reduction systems. These ALL have sonic
side-effects and are really best used only as a last resort.

There are click and pop removal systems, and the slightly related decracking
systems that deal with transient noise. There are waveform redrawing tools,
and broadband noise removal systems. There are systems to remove repetitive
waveforms. The CEDAR kit, for instance, has well over a dozen different
algorithms available for different noises and different signals.

I have found that it somehow magnifies the 400 cycle range.. things
begin to get honky if you know what I mean.

I never use it.

What IS it?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bro Barry Bro Barry is offline

On Mar 28, 10:55 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I never use it.

What IS it?
--scott

Part of the waves diamond bundle...

goes..

X - Click, Crackle, Hum, and Noise

It does work, but the end sound... is such a challenge to make sound
normal...
mostly the noise I try to remove is from my hot little cheap mic, lol

LOL

lmao

so sorry

too funny, I know.. I need to upgrade

Go wake your wife and tell her, Barry is due for an upgrade
dooo hoo hOOOOOOOoo hoooo for an upgrade

whew!

Look, if I can pull what I did on this cheapo stuff, I KNOW I can get
a hit with some real equipment.

I've never heard of your recording technic; pairing mics? Interesting.
I read why you do it, makes sense too, just never heard of it.

Barry

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bro Barry Bro Barry is offline

On Mar 28, 1:04 pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:

Try to do just a tiny amount of lurking (or at least reviewing
the Google Groups Archives) before making such offensive
remarks. Do you think that only musicians are "artists"?

No, you're wrong, engineers are not necessarily artists.
It just depends on which side of the brain they work from.
Many are artists in truest sense, some are not.

besides, I said I was joking

Are you an artist?

and lemme just pacify your big ol mind, I don't hold any artist in
esteem, not even myself.. it's no... feather. anyone in their right
mind can be an artist.

8