Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] muzician21@yahoo.com is offline

Default Is reverb always used on the lead vocal in commercial/pop recordings?

With an ear toward pop country, I notice that even in recordings where
the vocal sounds very up front & dry, in certain spaces where the
backing tracks drop out you can still hear some reverb decay, it's
just not particularly noticeable through most of the track.

Would you say it's rare that -0- reverb would be used on a pop country
vocal? I assume it's used because of a certain subtle presence you
can't achieve without it?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86 Agent 86 is offline

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:54:43 -0400, Les Cargill wrote:

Compared to say, Patsy Cline, there is no reverb at all.

Heaven forbid we should ever expect that a singer should actually be able
to sing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry Barry is offline

On Mar 22, 7:54 pm, wrote:

Would you say it's rare that -0- reverb would be used on a pop country
vocal? I assume it's used because of a certain subtle presence you
can't achieve without it?

reverb is just delay right?... even without it, you could use a simple
delay
set it for high bpm

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Barry wrote:
On Mar 22, 7:54 pm, wrote:

Would you say it's rare that -0- reverb would be used on a pop country
vocal? I assume it's used because of a certain subtle presence you
can't achieve without it?

reverb is just delay right?... even without it, you could use a simple
delay

No, reverb is an infinite number of slightly different delays.

A simple delay gives you the "tape slap" vocal effect you'll hear on
Great Balls of Fire.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 23 Mar 2007 19:49:38 -0700, "Barry" wrote:

reverb is just delay right?...

Wrong. Look it up.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry Barry is offline

On Mar 24, 4:39 am, Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom
wrote:
On 23 Mar 2007 19:49:38 -0700, "Barry" wrote:

reverb is just delay right?...

Wrong. Look it up.

oh relax, for all intents and purposes, he could thicken the vocal
without a reverb

that was my point, and yes, reverb IS delay.. even if it's a million
of them
they are delayed or pre-delayed

make up your mind there skipper

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Barry wrote:

Laurence Payne wrote:
On 23 Mar 2007 19:49:38 -0700, "Barry" wrote:

reverb is just delay right?...

Wrong. Look it up.

oh relax, for all intents and purposes, he could thicken the vocal
without a reverb

that was my point, and yes, reverb IS delay.. even if it's a million
of them
they are delayed or pre-delayed

make up your mind there skipper

No reverb, is not "just delay" in the professionally understood use of
those words. If you do not care to be precise there's always
"yourhomestudiodotcom", etc.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry Barry is offline

On Mar 24, 11:47 am, (hank alrich) wrote:

No reverb, is not "just delay" in the professionally understood use of
those words. If you do not care to be precise there's always
"yourhomestudiodotcom", etc.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Right! If you want reverb you gotta ask for reverb

don't be mealy mouthed either, come on outcha mouth with it

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry Barry is offline

On Mar 24, 11:32 am, Mike Heins wrote:

I know that when I am singing, I can tell when there is no reverb and
it is discomfiting to have those small tonal imperfections right in
my face. Obviously I know they exist, and I can even tell when there
is a little phlegm causing a muddy tone, but it is discouraging to
hear it so well.

so turn it down, you scared to tell the man "It's too loud man.. can
you turn it down a little bit"

Pappy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Heins Mike Heins is offline

On 2007-03-24, Barry wrote:
On Mar 24, 11:32 am, Mike Heins wrote:

I know that when I am singing, I can tell when there is no reverb and
it is discomfiting to have those small tonal imperfections right in
my face. Obviously I know they exist, and I can even tell when there
is a little phlegm causing a muddy tone, but it is discouraging to
hear it so well.

so turn it down, you scared to tell the man "It's too loud man.. can
you turn it down a little bit"

Is it normal to be combative in this group? Ah well, it *is* Usenet, and
we are still in the endless September.

You *want* to hear yourself if you are a singer, of course. If you can't
hear yourself, it is difficult to sing well. I think we spend lots of time
and money on monitor mixes for just that reason....

--
Mike Heins

Be patient. God isn't finished with me yet. -- unknown
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Romeo Rondeau wrote:

Jerry Lee Lewis would be a registered sex offender today...

And/or a star in the new reality teeve version of All In The Family.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Barry wrote:

Mike Heins wrote:

I know that when I am singing, I can tell when there is no reverb and
it is discomfiting to have those small tonal imperfections right in
my face. Obviously I know they exist, and I can even tell when there
is a little phlegm causing a muddy tone, but it is discouraging to
hear it so well.

so turn it down, you scared to tell the man "It's too loud man.. can
you turn it down a little bit"

You are beginning to appear to be clueless. Too many magazines, not
enough highway.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry Barry is offline

On Mar 24, 6:35 pm, (hank alrich) wrote:

You are beginning to appear to be clueless. Too many magazines, not
enough highway.

I'm too much a pacifist

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 19:14:23 -0600, Romeo Rondeau
wrote:

Would you say it's rare that -0- reverb would be used on a pop
country vocal? I assume it's used because of a certain subtle
presence you can't achieve without it?
reverb is just delay right?...

Wrong.

geoff

His statement wasn't really wrong, just incomplete.

No. He said JUST delay. Wrong.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau Romeo Rondeau is offline

wrote:

Would you say it's rare that -0- reverb would be used on a pop
country vocal? I assume it's used because of a certain subtle
presence you can't achieve without it?
reverb is just delay right?...
Wrong.

geoff

His statement wasn't really wrong, just incomplete.

No. He said JUST delay. Wrong.

Reverb is just delay, it's lots of delays panned, fedback and filtered.
Convolution reverb is a little different, though. Lighten up, Laurence,
it's just usenet :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

In a world where cream is just milk, yes.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Wozniak Michael  Wozniak is offline

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
. ..

In a world where cream is just milk, yes.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

I usually tell my students and interns that the distinction between
delay/echo and reverb is that with echo, distinct repetitions can be
perceived, whereas with reverb they cannot.

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
this sig is haiku

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bro Barry Bro Barry is offline

On Mar 26, 1:07 pm, "Michael Wozniak"
wrote:

I usually tell my students and interns that the distinction between
delay/echo and reverb is that with echo, distinct repetitions can be
perceived, whereas with reverb they cannot.

Students and interns?!

You must think you're all that!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Bro Barry wrote:

Michael Wozniak wrote:

I usually tell my students and interns that the distinction between
delay/echo and reverb is that with echo, distinct repetitions can be
perceived, whereas with reverb they cannot.

Students and interns?!

You must think you're all that!

He is all that. You, on the other hand, aren't all that.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Wozniak Michael  Wozniak is offline

ups.com...
wrote:

I usually tell my students and interns that the distinction between
delay/echo and reverb is that with echo, distinct repetitions can be
perceived, whereas with reverb they cannot.

Students and interns?!

You must think you're all that!

I ask again... troll or idiot? I'm starting to think "both"...

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Poductions
this sig is haiku

"don't make me take the gloves off, bubba"

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 23:57:32 -0400, Bro Barry wrote
(in article . com):

wrote:

I usually tell my students and interns that the distinction between
delay/echo and reverb is that with echo, distinct repetitions can be
perceived, whereas with reverb they cannot.

Students and interns?!

You must think you're all that!

? What a strange reaction.

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

I usually tell my students and interns that the distinction between
delay/echo and reverb is that with echo, distinct repetitions can be
perceived, whereas with reverb they cannot.

Students and interns?!

You must think you're all that!

? What a strange reaction.

Ty Ford

Not really. Not to real musicians.

Lemme guess, you're not really an artist???

Artists get me, while educators do not.

There are.. those who play.. artists
Those who can't play.. teach.

LOL

Just kidding!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

I usually tell my students and interns that the distinction between
delay/echo and reverb is that with echo, distinct repetitions can be
perceived, whereas with reverb they cannot.

I was just messin with ya dude! Hell, maybe you DO think you are all
that.

LMAO

bet it can't play none either

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Bro Barry wrote:

Not really. Not to real musicians.

Lemme guess, you're not really an artist???

For the most part, the people here are engineers and not artists. This
is an audio production group.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 28, 8:01 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

For the most part, the people here are engineers and not artists. This
is an audio production group.

That's cool

I see you posting some good posts on here before, your name sticks out
that you know what you're doing.

I record with a home daw, my only out gear is an old fm reciever, I
have 150 watts to mix by, a good headset and cheap mic to record with.

I'm fixin to get a board and a few decent mics. I think I'm wanting a
condenser for vocals and dynamic for say a choir.

Are you full time? How did you get into this line of work

Do you look at many meters or just use your ear?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Bro Barry wrote:

Are you full time? How did you get into this line of work

I started as an intern at Master Sound, cutting 45s for jukeboxes.
Now I am http://www.kludgeaudio.com

Do you look at many meters or just use your ear?

You have to use your ear AND the meters, because they tell you different
things. You can't mix with the meters, and you can't set level to tape
by ear.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Bro Barry" wrote ...
"Michael Wozniak" wrote:

I usually tell my students and interns that the distinction between
delay/echo and reverb is that with echo, distinct repetitions can be
perceived, whereas with reverb they cannot.

Students and interns?!

You must think you're all that!

And YOUR credentials are what, exactly?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Bro Barry" wrote ...
Ty Ford wrote:
Bro Barry wrote
"Michael Wozniak" wrote:

I usually tell my students and interns that the distinction between
delay/echo and reverb is that with echo, distinct repetitions can be
perceived, whereas with reverb they cannot.

Students and interns?!

You must think you're all that!

? What a strange reaction.

Not really. Not to real musicians.

And you fancy yourself a "real musician"?
Is that your excuse for lack of social demeanor?

Lemme guess, you're not really an artist???

Try to do just a tiny amount of lurking (or at least reviewing
the Google Groups Archives) before making such offensive
remarks. Do you think that only musicians are "artists"?

Artists get me, while educators do not.

Consider finding a newsgroup where your "artists" hang out.
You're not making much of a positive impression here.

There are.. those who play.. artists
Those who can't play.. teach.
LOL
Just kidding!