Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Found! An Electronic Device That Acutally Needs A Burn-In Period.

Found! An Electronic Device That Actually Needs A Burn-In Period.

The last batch of dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs that I bought. Takes
about an hour's use before they can be dimmed way down. Before burn-in, they
flicker at lower settings.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

Found! An Electronic Device That Actually Needs A Burn-In Period.

The last batch of dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs that I bought. Takes
about an hour's use before they can be dimmed way down. Before burn-in, they
flicker at lower settings.

I haven't seen those. I expected someone would come out with one sooner or
later.

What are they like ? I'd be intrigued as to the 'burn in' mechanism.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B Margaret von B is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
Found!

Then stick it up your acuta and start burning.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Eeyore"
wrote
in message
Arny Krueger wrote:

Found! An Electronic Device That Actually Needs A
Burn-In Period.

The last batch of dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs
that I bought. Takes about an hour's use before they can
be dimmed way down. Before burn-in, they flicker at
lower settings.

I haven't seen those. I expected someone would come out
with one sooner or later.

Handy-dandy little gizmos. These net out to being about 6 times as efficient
as the bulbs that they replace.

IOW they put out about 3 times the lumens, but use only 40% of the power.
They do not appreciably change color temperature as they dim, and the basic
color temperature is very a very natural light.

What are they like ?

They look just like non-dimmable CF bulbs, with a slightly bulbous ceramic
base and a spiral bulb.

I'd be intrigued as to the 'burn in' mechanism.

Possibly related to re-distribution of the material that feeds the arc.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
oups.com

Arny Krueger wrote:

Found! An Electronic Device That Actually Needs A
Burn-In Period.

The last batch of dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs
that I bought. Takes about an hour's use before they can
be dimmed way down. Before burn-in, they flicker at
lower settings.

Do NiMH batteries count? They often need a few
charge/discharge cycles to fully perform.

Good point.

**Don't forget tube amplifiers and SS amps which don't use Global NFB. They
all need appreciable warm up times too.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Trevor Wilson wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
oups.com

Arny Krueger wrote:

Found! An Electronic Device That Actually Needs A
Burn-In Period.

The last batch of dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs
that I bought. Takes about an hour's use before they can
be dimmed way down. Before burn-in, they flicker at
lower settings.

Do NiMH batteries count? They often need a few
charge/discharge cycles to fully perform.

Good point.

**Don't forget tube amplifiers and SS amps which don't use Global NFB. They
all need appreciable warm up times too.

Naturally since another benefit of nfb is to stabilise the operating point.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com is offline

Trevor Wilson wrote:
: **Don't forget tube amplifiers and SS amps which don't use Global NFB.
: They all need appreciable warm up times too.

I think warm-up is different from burn-in. My little old Dyna amp
requires several minutes of warmup before it stops crackling.
But if it did have any burn-in period, that has long since passed.

Now, I've heard that Shakti Stones require a burn-in period...

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.pro
Robert Morein Robert Morein is offline

"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
Found! An Electronic Device That Actually Needs A Burn-In Period.

The last batch of dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs that I bought. Takes
about an hour's use before they can be dimmed way down. Before burn-in, they
flicker at lower settings.

How do they sound?

He's busy A/B/Xing them now.

Bob

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

"Arny Krueger" said:

Found! An Electronic Device That Actually Needs A Burn-In Period.

The last batch of dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs that I bought. Takes
about an hour's use before they can be dimmed way down. Before burn-in, they
flicker at lower settings.

I even know of an electronic device that has any relevance to audio:
Vacuum tubes right after they're produced, need a burn in period as
well.

--
"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.pro
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

.. .

Arny Krueger wrote:
Found! An Electronic Device That Actually Needs A Burn-In Period.

The last batch of dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs that I bought.
Takes
about an hour's use before they can be dimmed way down. Before burn-in,
they
flicker at lower settings.

How do they sound?

He's busy A/B/Xing them now.

Bob

AND, you know what, to Arny's ears they sound just like every other bulb!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi
[email protected] TheBenevolentUniversePremise@gmail.com is offline

Since this has nothing to do with rec.audio.pro please take it to a
different newsgroup.

Arny Krueger wrote:
Found! An Electronic Device That Actually Needs A Burn-In Period.

The last batch of dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs that I bought.
Takes
about an hour's use before they can be dimmed way down. Before burn-in,
they
flicker at lower settings.

How do they sound?

He's busy A/B/Xing them now.

Bob

AND, you know what, to Arny's ears they sound just like every other bulb!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

wrote:

Since this has nothing to do with rec.audio.pro please take it to a
different newsgroup.

Google groups maybe ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

There are actually quite a few electronic devices that require a burn-in
period. Back in the day, voltage references were gas discharge tubes that
ran at about 80 volts. e.g. OG3, 5651, 8228. All of them had to be run for
a couple hundred hours before their voltage would stabilize enough for a
decent reference. Nowadays we use zener references. If you're really
picky, you'll run them for 1000 hours or so--not to stabilize them, but just
to insure that they are stable enough to use.

Another component that needed burn-in was the 12AX7/7025 used as a dc
differential amplifier. You could buy ones that were already burned in for
a ridiculous price, but most manufacturers monitored the differential grid
voltage to see whether the tube was reasonably stable. Yes, there was a
time when operational amplifiers used 2 dual triodes--believe it or not.

Norm Strong