Daniel Fox

Default Amplifier power, Wright Monitors

The small studio I work in has the opportunity to pick up a pair of
Wright passive monitors. Wright (now defunct) suggested 250 watts per
channel minimum to drive these monitors. We currently have an Alesis
Matica 500 (150 watts/channel at 8 ohms). At some point we would
upgrade to a better and more powerful amp but i'm wondering if in the
mean time we're asking for trouble using this combination. The
monitors would be used in a near field setup in a very small control
room at resonable listening levels. I know we won't be squeeing the
best out of these monitors with this amp but i'm more concerned about
damage to the speakers. Any thoughts...

Dan Fox

Scott Dorsey

Daniel Fox wrote:
The small studio I work in has the opportunity to pick up a pair of
Wright passive monitors. Wright (now defunct) suggested 250 watts per
channel minimum to drive these monitors. We currently have an Alesis
Matica 500 (150 watts/channel at 8 ohms). At some point we would
upgrade to a better and more powerful amp but i'm wondering if in the
mean time we're asking for trouble using this combination. The
monitors would be used in a near field setup in a very small control
room at resonable listening levels. I know we won't be squeeing the
best out of these monitors with this amp but i'm more concerned about
damage to the speakers. Any thoughts...

You won't damage it if you don't clip the amps.

Use your ears and don't be stupid.

If you have customers who are stupid, maybe you don't want to let them
use the Wrights anyway.

Honestly, though, you can get an Adcom GFA-555 for not much money....

Daniel Fox

Scott Dorsey wrote:

don't clip the amps.

Use your ears and don't be stupid.

If you have customers who are stupid, maybe you don't want to let them
use the Wrights anyway.

Honestly, though, you can get an Adcom GFA-555 for not much money....

Sound advice. Thanks. I've never come close to clipping this amp yet
so I don't anticipate that being a problem, unless the Wrights are very
hungry, which I won't know until I try them.

The Adcom is going for $300-$400 on ebay. Looks like a solid piece of
gear although it is still rated lower (200w @ 8 ohms) than Wright
reccomends (250w @ 8 ohms), but maybe i'm being unnecessarily
paranoid...

Chris Hornbeck

On 29 Jun 2005 10:49:50 -0700, "Daniel Fox" wrote:

The Adcom is going for $300-$400 on ebay. Looks like a solid piece of
gear although it is still rated lower (200w @ 8 ohms) than Wright
reccomends (250w @ 8 ohms), but maybe i'm being unnecessarily
paranoid...

The difference between 200 watts and 250 watts is only
1/3 octave.

But seriously, how old are the Wright's?

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"Chief Assistant to the Assistant Chief" -F&S

KISS 113 by Andre Jute Andre Jute Vacuum Tubes 0 November 21st 04 06:44 PM
CLC: More John Stewart Vacuum Tubes 12 November 2nd 04 10:47 AM
here is how firewire ports fail George Pro Audio 13 September 11th 04 09:11 PM
List of NOS mostly tubes Engineer Vacuum Tubes 3 July 3rd 04 03:39 AM
FS: 3000 watt amp $179!! 900 watt woofers $36!! new- free shipping Nexxon General 1 October 14th 03 02:06 PM