Steve Eddy

Default Some serious cable measurements with interesting results.

On 29 Nov 2003 16:21:18 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

(Steve Eddy) wrote in message news:D1Nxb.247859$275.907017@attbi_s53...

The idea that everything we 'hear' is due to acoustic stimuli is patently
absurd. It's akin to claiming that people have no auditory imagination,
which if true would be very sad. Fortunately, it isn't.

Yes. There's a considerable amount of psychology behind our aural
perceptions. Yet even when you can get some people to even acknowledge
this fact, they insist that they're somehow immune.

I am. Only when one is intimately familiar with the sound of one's
system can one notice the slightest changes. The problem with much
testing is that the test subject is presented with two or more
variables, not one of which is he intimately familiar. When I listen
in MY system, I know what it sounds like already. The change is
blatantly obvious.

Yet Tom Noisaine has said that he's administered blind tests to
individuals using their own systems in their own homes over periods as
long as months. Can't get much more familiar than that. Yet the
results haven't turned up anything yet.

So at this point there doesn't seem to be any evidence that intimacy
with one's audio system somehow makes one less susceptible to biases.

Perhaps you should get in touch with Tom and see if he'd be willing to
set you up in a similar fashion (i.e. using your own system in your
own home) and see if you can be the first to demonstrate actual
audible differences.

Your success would certainly save a lot of time wasted on speculative
arguments which have been raging for decades now. And I think there
are still a couple of standing offers of cash rewards to the first
person who can demonstrate actual audible differences. And hey,
Christmas is just around the corner.

se

Michael Scarpitti

(Steve Eddy) wrote in message ...
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 06:36:05 GMT,
(Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

(Steve Eddy) wrote in message ...

It's not elusive. I bought Monster $50 cables (interconnect) a few
years ago. I then bought $100 Monster cables. I then switched them in
and out of my system several times. The difference was subtle, but
consistent. The more expensive cable offered deeper bass and better
imaging, with better clarity on transients as well. Every time. The
difference was much more apparent when I removed the more expensive
ones and replaced the cheaper ones into the system: the deterioration
in the sound was quite obvious. This phenomenon also calls for
explanation.

But that's simply your sighted, subjective perception which is known
to be unreliable and doesn't in itself establish actual audibility. It
only establishes that you subjectively perceived some difference.

If you read my reply to Mkuller I mentioned that people have reported
hearing significant improvements in their systems after placing
photographs of themselves and their equipment in their freezers. So
does this constitute clear and convincing evidence that placing
photographs in our freezers produces actual audible differences?

se

Perhaps you did not note that the test was repeated ***several***
times. This was not just a wham-bam thing. I had owned the $50 Monster
cable for a couple of years already, so any change from that was going
to be noticed, as I was quite familiar with the sound. I listened
carefully to the $100 cables and noted some very subtle differences. I
then replaced the $50 cables and wondered what had happened to the
sound. It was suddenly flatter and inferior. I reconnected the $100
cables and the sound improved a little again. I again traded for the
$50 cables and again the sound deteriorated noticeably from the $100
cable. I performed this exchange several more times (maybe six times
in all), every time without doubt as to any difference. At no time was
there any confusion as to which was in the system. The $100 cables are
now in the system. The $50 cables are in the drawer gathering dust. If
there had been no difference, I would have taken them back.

I can, do, and did hear differences between cables. They are not
earth-shattering, but they are discernible.

I am frequently stunned by the detail in my system, especially since I
got a set of Yamaha NS-1000M speakers, with their ultra-high clarity
and speed. The possibility that inferior quality speakers and other
components masks the differences in cables must be considered.
Bruce Abrams

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
*snip*
Perhaps you did not note that the test was repeated ***several***
times. This was not just a wham-bam thing. I had owned the $50 Monster
cable for a couple of years already, so any change from that was going
to be noticed, as I was quite familiar with the sound. I listened
carefully to the $100 cables and noted some very subtle differences. I
then replaced the $50 cables and wondered what had happened to the
sound. It was suddenly flatter and inferior. I reconnected the $100
cables and the sound improved a little again. I again traded for the
$50 cables and again the sound deteriorated noticeably from the $100
cable. I performed this exchange several more times (maybe six times
in all), every time without doubt as to any difference. At no time was
there any confusion as to which was in the system.

How could there have ever been any confusion? You were doing the switching
and you, of course, knew which cables were in the system. I had the exact
same experience as you describe several years ago. In fact, I was so
certain that there were differences between cables and I so wanted to
maximize the money I was about to spend that I got several sets of cables
from The Cable Company and began writing listening notes on the different
cables so I'd be able to sort out all of the subtle differences. While
taking notes on the cables I thought I had put in the night before, I got up
to switch back to my trusty Kimber 8TC for comparison purposes, and found
that I was really listening to them all along, as I had been interrupted by
a phone call the night before and hadn't actually completed the switch.

So this time, I had my wife connect the cables without telling me what was
in. Without being able to make reference to what I thought the given cables
under review were supposed to sound like, I hadn't a clue what was in the
system. Cardas Hexlink, Tara RSC, Kimber 8TC...they all sounded the same
once I wasn't looking for the particular characteristic that I thought the
cable was known for.

You should try such an experiment some time. The results will astound you.

The $100 cables are
now in the system. The $50 cables are in the drawer gathering dust. If
there had been no difference, I would have taken them back.

I can, do, and did hear differences between cables. They are not
earth-shattering, but they are discernible.

I am frequently stunned by the detail in my system, especially since I
got a set of Yamaha NS-1000M speakers, with their ultra-high clarity
and speed. The possibility that inferior quality speakers and other
components masks the differences in cables must be considered.

When performing the above experiment, I had an Audible Illusions Modulus 3,
a Music Reference RM-9 and Martin Logan Aerius speakers with a Meridian
566.24 DAC as source. The current system is a Modulus 3A, Plinius 8200P,
Paradigm Studio 100 speakers and a Sony DVP-NS900 as digital source. The
resolution of the system is not in question. Only the audibility of the
cables is.
Bruno Putzeys

Huh? It's even worse now.
Not quite. The literary device used in this conclusion requires a contrast.

Are you saying cable differences can be
heard or not? I say yes. From this I cannot tell how you stand.

I can hear them - no probs there.

The primary meaning of the whole post is:
"There is an audible difference between cables." ie. those who hear the
difference are indeed hearing something real.
"This is an engineering problem. A good engineering solution qualifies when
it removes the audible difference between cables." ie. cables *should* not
make a difference ie. it should be possible to design gear such that cheap
and expensive cables indeed sound the same (have no "sound").

What I am trying to say here is that I've found to date only two mechanisms
that produce measurable cable differences in the audio band (shield
resistance in unbalanced cables and microphonics).
It would seem to me that if we want to explain what we hear, it's best to
look first at things that can be demonstrated. Microdiodes, dielectric
effects etc have never been demonstrated, in spite of the great effort put
in by many people to show them. Therefore, these two stand quite a chance of
being the whole story.
Also the microphony result surprised me in how pervasive it was ie. how low
the source impedance had to be before it became unmeasurable.

Reading between the lines it also helps to explain why most cable A/B tests
using switch boxes don't seem to work: unless the cable is completely
disconnected electrically (all conductors and shield) on both sides, and
unless the relay resistance is low compared to the resistance of the cable
under test, the signal on the receiving end is affected by both cables
equally. Before such listening tests are used as ammunition to "prove" the
inaudibility, they should be reviewed in the light of these findings.

So my current conjecture ("working thesis") is that balanced connections (to
counter the effect of shield currents) and ultralow source impedance can be
combined into a transmission system that is sonically insensitive to the
cable used. I'm in the process of designing a driver/receiver pair that
perform up to these technical requirements while attaining/maintaining a
high audiophile standard otherwise.

If proven true (ie if the sonic differences disappear when using the new
drivers), the whole affair should reconcile the opinions on the
"subjectivist" and "objectivist" camp. I am surprised to find that many
posters reply only to the bit that runs counter to their feelings while
reading over the bit that supports "their" side of the argument. I was
hoping that people would at least read the entire post carefully.

Bruno Putzeys

Perhaps you should first establish the existence of *real* audible
differences, before scrabbling around for measurements to explain
them. It's trivial to *measure* pretty large differences among cables,
but *audible* differences seem to be non-existent, except under the
most extreme cases of electrical difference.

Thank you for your insight. I understand you do not believe balanced
connections are worthwhile either, as "except under the most extreme cases
of electrical difference" the ground loop noise will not affect our musical
experience.

Stuart Stebbings

(Mkuller) wrote in message news:IjDxb.135603$Dw6.573754@attbi_s02...
(Stuart Stebbings) wrote:
Mike
You are not answering the central point

We can measure things like sub atomic particles we can measure minute
tremors in the earths surface after an earthquake many many thousands
of miles away.

Why can we not measure something as simple as a cable and the various
parameters that make up an audio signal.
If as you claim cables do have a different sound, do you think the
manufacturer knows why?
Would they have constructed the product knowing that doing "x" will
give better bass response etc etc. If so how do they know this? How
did they first find out about it.? Do you think they were doing R&D
and found it out.

I just dont believe that we are not able to measure this phenomenon.

Stuart,
I didn't say we are not able to measure these things. I said
If
you're looking for measurements that relate to the audible differences,

perhaps
Mike Scarpitti is correct and you are measuring the wrong things.

Here on RAHE, most of the engineers will tell you the only measurements that
matter with cables are R, L and C. If you talk to high end cable designers
they will talk about their more sophisticated models of measurements that
correlate to their designs. Some of it is marketing hype, but the fact that
they can tailor the sound of the cables shows there might be something to it.
I'll leave it to the engineers to read their "white papers" and try to provide
an explanation that is easy to understand. In the mean time, like many
audiophiles, I will listen and compare the sound of the cables before I buy
them.
Regards,
Mike

Sorry Mike
I have been working with designing and analizing the data that comes
down cables for 20 years
I have never heard such rubbish.

What do you mean by "sophisticated models of measurement"? why hasnt
anyone else that uses cables i.e the IT Industry of the medical
equipment people ever heard of this?

they are only audio cables.

Do you realise how simple it is to design a cable to pass and audio
signal?
Without being too unkind, it isnt that difficult to design a data
cable that will cope with 1063 mps sustained data rate.
Stuart Stebbings

(Stuart Stebbings) wrote in message ...
(Mkuller) wrote in message news:ZRgxb.236842$275.886690@attbi_s53...

Mike
You are not answering the central point

We can measure things like sub atomic particles we can measure minute
tremors in the earths surface after an earthquake many many thousands
of miles away.

But that isn't the same thing as measuring my heartrate. It could be
going up or down while you're measuring something else. I went to my
internist and told him I didn't feel well. I suggested he measure my
testosterone levels. He pooh-poohed the idea, and said that was very
unlikely. He tested me for diabetes, liver problems, anemia, etc.,
telling me these were FAR more likely. The results came back negative
for all of them. Finally, I asked him again him to test my
testosterone level. It measured low. I was right all along.

Why can we not measure something as simple as a cable and the various
parameters that make up an audio signal.

Not what matters, apparently.

If as you claim cables do have a different sound, do you think the
manufacturer knows why?

Not necessarily.

Would they have constructed the product knowing that doing "x" will
give better bass response etc etc. If so how do they know this?

Trial and error.

How
did they first find out about it.? Do you think they were doing R&D
and found it out.

I just dont believe that we are not able to measure this phenomenon.

Now that is interesting. You are mkmuller are now diametrically
opposed.

But answer this then?
If the manufacturers dont know, which is your premise and the fact
that no 99.9999% copper wire will be chemically exactly the same, the
impurities will be diffrent.
how do these cable sellers make a consistant product? if it is trial
and error with measurements then every set of cables will be
different. wouldnt they?
Alan Murphy

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
"Bruno Putzeys" wrote in message

ERRATUM
The above shows that people who claim that cables do make a

difference are
living on another planet. However, those that say that cables

*should* not
make a difference when correctly used, are dead right.

Should read:
"The above shows that people who claim that cables do NOT make a

difference
are
living on another planet. However, those that say that cables *should*

not
make a difference when correctly used, are dead right."

My apologies to those who feel they belong to one "camp" and are now
suddenly yanked into another.

Huh? It's even worse now. Are you saying cable differences can be
heard or not? I say yes. From this I cannot tell how you stand.

I say it depends on the system.

I currently have two systems set up.

1) Meridian CD-Quad 33/303/Quad ESL
2) Meridian CD-Quad 34/306/Lowther Acoustas with new EX2s.

Cables make no difference at all to the ESL system but have a very
significant and transforming effect on the Lowther system, particularly
the mains cable.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 1 Dec 2003 17:24:03 GMT, "Bruno Putzeys"
wrote:

Perhaps you should first establish the existence of *real* audible
differences, before scrabbling around for measurements to explain
them. It's trivial to *measure* pretty large differences among cables,
but *audible* differences seem to be non-existent, except under the
most extreme cases of electrical difference.

Thank you for your insight. I understand you do not believe balanced
connections are worthwhile either, as "except under the most extreme cases
of electrical difference" the ground loop noise will not affect our musical
experience.

Nice attempt (not!) at a strawman argument, which is disappointing in
someone who claims an engineering background. Of course, I never said
any such thing. OTOH, I have a fairly benign EMC environment, and
balanced operation does indeed make no audible difference. In other
environments, this may not be the case. This does however have
*nothing* to do with the fatuous claims of the 'high end' cable
industry, which is based on psychobabble and numerology (yes,
really!), and simply has *never* been able to show *any* audible
difference under controlled conditions.

Tell you what - if you can demonstrate that you can hear statistically
significant differences among cables which measure to within +/- 0.1
dB from 100Hz to 10kHz at the speaker terminals (which won't affect
any of the claims made for magical constructions and materials), I
will award you the grand prize of £10,000, or 15,000 Euros if you
prefer.

Steven Sullivan

Bruno Putzeys wrote:
[...]

So, microphony and shield resistance are so variable that
they account for the difference heard between virtually *every* cable
ever reviewed in TAS and Stereophile?

Most 'sighted' cable A/B tests work; most 'blind' ones don't. Is it the
case that blind A/Bs where the cable switching was done manually
show more 'positives' than tbhose using switchboxes?

Stewart Pinkerton

On 1 Dec 2003 17:30:40 GMT, "Alan Murphy"
wrote:

I currently have two systems set up.

1) Meridian CD-Quad 33/303/Quad ESL
2) Meridian CD-Quad 34/306/Lowther Acoustas with new EX2s.

Cables make no difference at all to the ESL system but have a very
significant and transforming effect on the Lowther system, particularly
the mains cable.

OK, so you have some low-level hum in your system which is revealed by
the 20dB more sensitive Lowthers, and can be lowered below audibility
by a $50 computer-grade shielded mains cable. Please explain how this
has relevance to 'high end' cables......

Harry Lavo

"Nousaine" wrote in message
(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:

On 30 Nov 2003 16:02:57 GMT,
(Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

I can, do, and did hear differences between cables. They are not
earth-shattering, but they are discernible.

They are entirely in your imagination - guaranteed.

I am frequently stunned by the detail in my system, especially since I
got a set of Yamaha NS-1000M speakers, with their ultra-high clarity
and speed. The possibility that inferior quality speakers and other
components masks the differences in cables must be considered.

I had those about twenty years ago - they're good, but not IMO
exceptional. You are scrabbling around to justify your opinion in
classic form, without ever simply *trusting* your ears in a blind
test. We've sen this before, several times, and those 'obvious'
changes *never* survive a blind test.

That's true; including the Sunshine Trials, the Singh Challenge where the
reference systems that were used to 'describe' the 'pretty amazing'

differences
were first heard.

Or the Brice Trials where the subject had both comparative amplifiers (one
which was his own) in the experimental set-up in his personal reference

system
for 5 weeks prior to the test.

None of which negates the fact that if the very act of "switching and
comparing and making a choice" creates a different ear-brain interaction
than evaluative listening, the tests are invalid. And as Mike and I and
Wheel and others have pointed out, a valid control test has never been done
by those who believe the "null results" mean there truly are no discernable
differences.

Ban

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
||| Of course it is - because you *know* that something has changed. Why
||| are you so afraid to *trust* your ears by using a blind test?
|| I closed my eyes and listened. Is that 'blind' enough for you?

No, you need a friend to connect the cables without you knowing which is
which. You can then close your eyes or not as you desire. It is so simple.
If you don't have friends, you can have your wife doing it.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy
Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 06:41:24 GMT, "Harry Lavo"
wrote:

None of which negates the fact that if the very act of "switching and
comparing and making a choice" creates a different ear-brain interaction
than evaluative listening, the tests are invalid.

This of course applies to *any* comparitive situation, blind or
sighted, and hence is irrelevant.

And as Mike and I and
Wheel and others have pointed out, a valid control test has never been done
by those who believe the "null results" mean there truly are no discernable
differences.

Sure it has - but you, Mike and Ludo continually move the goalposts,
so that you can *always* claim that blind tests are somehow invalid.
It's interesting that none of you has *ever* shown a single shred of
evidence in support of your own beliefs.

Alan Murphy

wrote:

I currently have two systems set up.

1) Meridian CD-Quad 33/303/Quad ESL
2) Meridian CD-Quad 34/306/Lowther Acoustas with new EX2s.

Cables make no difference at all to the ESL system but have a very
significant and transforming effect on the Lowther system, particularly
the mains cable.

OK, so you have some low-level hum in your system which is revealed by
the 20dB more sensitive Lowthers, and can be lowered below audibility
by a $50 computer-grade shielded mains cable. Please explain how this
has relevance to 'high end' cables......

Not $50 and not even a shielded mains cable. Just a few poundsworth
of ferrite cores from Maplin.

And incidentally there was no hum, low level or otherwise....

Regards, Alan.

Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

I currently have two systems set up.

1) Meridian CD-Quad 33/303/Quad ESL
2) Meridian CD-Quad 34/306/Lowther Acoustas with new EX2s.

Cables make no difference at all to the ESL system but have a very
significant and transforming effect on the Lowther system, particularly
the mains cable.

OK, so you have some low-level hum in your system which is revealed by
the 20dB more sensitive Lowthers, and can be lowered below audibility
by a $50 computer-grade shielded mains cable. Please explain how this
has relevance to 'high end' cables......

Not $50 and not even a shielded mains cable. Just a few poundsworth
of ferrite cores from Maplin.

Er, just how does this translate to the mains cable having a 'very
significant and transforming effect'?

And incidentally there was no hum, low level or otherwise....

So what was the difference? And is it observable when you don't *know*
what cable is connected?

Steve Eddy

wrote:

None of which negates the fact that if the very act of "switching and
comparing and making a choice" creates a different ear-brain interaction
than evaluative listening, the tests are invalid. And as Mike and I and
Wheel and others have pointed out, a valid control test has never been done
by those who believe the "null results" mean there truly are no discernable
differences.

Could you explain to me how "switching and comparing and making a
choice" is fundamentally any different than the way in which people
routinely evaluate changes made to their systems?

I mean, let's say you go buy a new set of interconnects. You bring
them home, plug them in and listen. How do you then go about
determining whether they've made an improvement, made things worse, or
didn't make any difference? And how do you go about doing this
fundamentally different from what you describe above?

se

Alan Murphy

wrote:

[...]

I was disappointed with the Lowther system on first hearing. Although it
was incredibly detailed it lacked warmth and was light in the bass. I
experimented with running them in parallel with a pair of Tannoy dual
concentrics and was seriously thinking of adding a subwoofer. The
difference after applying the ferrite cores was instant and obvious. I was
immediately satisfied with the sound and have been ever since. My method of
evaluation after a system change is to listen to a variety of music over a
period of a few days and I have not checked to see whether I could identify
which cable is connected if I did not *know*. I did however do a series of
comparisons on the same passages of music against the ESL system before and
after the change and was satisfied that the Lowther system moved much
closer to the Quad in warmth and remained more revealing.

Regards, Alan.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 4 Dec 2003 16:26:31 GMT, "Alan Murphy"
wrote:
-
I was disappointed with the Lowther system on first hearing. Although it
was incredibly detailed it lacked warmth and was light in the bass. I
experimented with running them in parallel with a pair of Tannoy dual
concentrics and was seriously thinking of adding a subwoofer. The
difference after applying the ferrite cores was instant and obvious. I was
immediately satisfied with the sound and have been ever since. My method of
evaluation after a system change is to listen to a variety of music over a
period of a few days and I have not checked to see whether I could identify
which cable is connected if I did not *know*. I did however do a series of
comparisons on the same passages of music against the ESL system before and
after the change and was satisfied that the Lowther system moved much
closer to the Quad in warmth and remained more revealing.

Just an observation, but the Lowthers are by their very nature
extremely revealing in the midband, but they do lack warmth and have
very little bass. That's an inevitability of their design, whereas the
Quad 'stats are famously smooth and natural throughout the audio
range, lacking only the sheer volume capacity of the Lowthers.

To imply that this fundamental sound balance was changed by the
removal of mains-borne 'hash' - the only possible effect of the
ferrites - is to stretch credulity to breaking point.

Stewart Pinkerton

Scarpitti) wrote:

I can, do, and did hear differences between cables. They are not
earth-shattering, but they are discernible.

They are entirely in your imagination - guaranteed.

I am frequently stunned by the detail in my system, especially since I
got a set of Yamaha NS-1000M speakers, with their ultra-high clarity
and speed. The possibility that inferior quality speakers and other
components masks the differences in cables must be considered.

I had those about twenty years ago - they're good, but not IMO
exceptional. You are scrabbling around to justify your opinion in
classic form, without ever simply *trusting* your ears in a blind
test. We've sen this before, several times, and those 'obvious'
changes *never* survive a blind test.

These differences were *just barely* discernible, but consistent. It
could also be that I have more sensitive hearing than many people.

I wondered how long it would take you to make such a claim!

You
have to be able to identify and pick out what's different. You have
that sudden 'wow' factor kick in when listening to an old familiar
recording (that's essential, of course). When listening to an old
familiar recording on equipment that you're comfortable with, even the
slightest difference stands out. Change any one component and I
guarantee it will be noticeable.

Change the cable and I guarantee it won't. Note that I back my
guarantee with cold cash, whereas you simply handwave about how you
hear 'obvious', changes and hence don't need to prove those
differences really exist in a blind test. You are wrong.

Nousaine

Scarpitti) wrote:

I can, do, and did hear differences between cables. They are not
earth-shattering, but they are discernible.

They are entirely in your imagination - guaranteed.

I am frequently stunned by the detail in my system, especially since I
got a set of Yamaha NS-1000M speakers, with their ultra-high clarity
and speed. The possibility that inferior quality speakers and other
components masks the differences in cables must be considered.

I had those about twenty years ago - they're good, but not IMO
exceptional. You are scrabbling around to justify your opinion in
classic form, without ever simply *trusting* your ears in a blind
test. We've sen this before, several times, and those 'obvious'
changes *never* survive a blind test.

These differences were *just barely* discernible, but consistent. It
could also be that I have more sensitive hearing than many people.

This supposition runs the usual gamut. But you seem to be adding another twist
at the end.

Usually the course runs like this:

First, Anybody can hear it

2nd: Only those who listen carefully enough can hear it

3rd: Only those who care about 'enough' about music can hear it

4th: Only those with the right equipment can hear it

5th: Those of us who are sensitive-enough can hear it.

and now the new twist:

Those who are familiar enough with their system can hear it.

You
have to be able to identify and pick out what's different. You have
that sudden 'wow' factor kick in when listening to an old familiar
recording (that's essential, of course). When listening to an old
familiar recording on equipment that you're comfortable with, even the
slightest difference stands out. Change any one component and I
guarantee it will be noticeable.

I'll guarantee that those with enough coaching will 'say' they hear something.
Nay, practically everybody will "report" differences when given 2 identical
sound presentations.

But, who has been able to verify those with even modest listening bias controls
implemented? Let's just say with cables that would be exactly "nobody."
Johnd1001

These differences were *just barely* discernible, but consistent. It
could also be that I have more sensitive hearing than many people. You
have to be able to identify and pick out what's different. You have
that sudden 'wow' factor kick in when listening to an old familiar
recording (that's essential, of course). When listening to an old
familiar recording on equipment that you're comfortable with, even the
slightest difference stands out. Change any one component and I
guarantee it will be noticeable.

Seldom, if truly accurate level-matching is used.

Johnd1001

Change the cable and I guarantee it won't. Note that I back my
guarantee with cold cash, whereas you simply handwave about how you
hear 'obvious', changes and hence don't need to prove those
differences really exist in a blind test. You are wrong.

I totally agree with Stewart's comments.

JohnD.

normanstrong

"Johnd1001" wrote in message
These differences were *just barely* discernible, but consistent.

It
could also be that I have more sensitive hearing than many people.

You
have to be able to identify and pick out what's different. You have
that sudden 'wow' factor kick in when listening to an old familiar
recording (that's essential, of course). When listening to an old
familiar recording on equipment that you're comfortable with, even

the
slightest difference stands out. Change any one component and I
guarantee it will be noticeable.

Seldom, if truly accurate level-matching is used.

I've noticed that when someone is listening for a possible
improvement, they turn the volume up a bit higher than they're used to
listening at. This gives the new equipment an unfair advantage.
Since few people are set up to measure the exact SPL, this is a common
problem.

Norm Strong

Michael Scarpitti

(Nousaine) wrote in message ...

You
have to be able to identify and pick out what's different. You have
that sudden 'wow' factor kick in when listening to an old familiar
recording (that's essential, of course). When listening to an old
familiar recording on equipment that you're comfortable with, even the
slightest difference stands out. Change any one component and I
guarantee it will be noticeable.

I'll guarantee that those with enough coaching will 'say' they hear something.
Nay, practically everybody will "report" differences when given 2 identical
sound presentations.

But, who has been able to verify those with even modest listening bias controls
implemented? Let's just say with cables that would be exactly "nobody."

Try this test. Take a very accurate thermometer and prepare two pails
of water at two different temperatures, say 68F and 70F. Plunge your
hand into one, then another. Can you tell them apart? If not, increase
the difference until you can just barely distinguish them. Do not
place both hands in the two pails, just one, alternating between the
pails.

You should have no doubt that you can tell them apart: that is the
point of the test. Make the spread enough that you can tell them
apart, but no more.

Now, wait half an hour or so, then have someone prepare another pail
of water at one of the two established temperatures, and without
telling you what it is, you plunge your hand into it. What is the
temperature? 68F? 70F? Can you tell?

If you fail more than you succeed, does that mean that you could not
tell them apart half an hour earlier?

Of course not.

Svante

"normanstrong" wrote in message news:x91Eb.582259$Fm2.540440@attbi_s04...
"Johnd1001" wrote in message
[...]

I agree! SPL matching is important. Keep the level difference within a
few centi-bels. Otherwise, what has the listening test proven, other
than that a level difference is audible, and that the high SPL sounds
better? Similar things apply to frequency response.

Steve Eddy

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:35:55 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

How is failing more than you succeed different from a statistical
standpoint as succeeding more than you fail? Either one would be an
indication that there's something more than guessing going on.
Statistically speaking, if you're just guessing, one would expect as
many successes as failures. Getting 10 out of 10 wrong would be just
as statistically significant as getting 10 out of 10 correct.

But in any case, what's the relevance of this "test" given that we
already know that our aural memory is rather poor and because of this
blind testing strives to make the switching between A and B is
instantaneous as possible?

Who's doing blind listening tests with switching intervals on the
order of half an hour?

se

Nousaine

(Michael Scarpitti) wrote:

(Nousaine) wrote in message

[...]

I'm not sure I get the analogy. If I have a level matched cable with 0.1 dB
difference and I can't tell then apart; and then I increase the level
difference to 1 dB and then hear the difference. But then later cannot hear 0.1
again means only that I can't hear level matched differences; it doesn't mean
that changing a non-sonic difference (level matching) to threshold level
somehow means that cables possess inherent sonic differences.

Michael Scarpitti

(Steve Eddy) wrote in message news:Z39Eb.74700$8y1.279100@attbi_s52...
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:35:55 GMT,
(Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

The point is that the second instance is 'blind'. What was clearly
discernible as a difference in the first test is of no help in
determining which temperature the second pail is at a later time. This
is clearly anaologous to the cable testing. I could tell the
difference between two cables when I switch them in and out, but I may
not be able to tell which is which in isolation.

The set-up with two water-pails is intended to offer a clear but just
barely detectable difference. It is clear that the test of
discriminating between two things is not the same test as identifying
one of them later in isolation.

Our senses are better at descrimination than identification. All of
them. We can distinguish between two colors easily but could not
reliably identify them in isolation.

Either one would be an
indication that there's something more than guessing going on.
Statistically speaking, if you're just guessing, one would expect as
many successes as failures. Getting 10 out of 10 wrong would be just
as statistically significant as getting 10 out of 10 correct.

But in any case, what's the relevance of this "test" given that we
already know that our aural memory is rather poor and because of this
blind testing strives to make the switching between A and B is
instantaneous as possible?

Who's doing blind listening tests with switching intervals on the
order of half an hour?

Half an hour allows any sensory memeory to dissipate, I should think,
for this test.
Steve Eddy

Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

The second instance is more than just blind, you also threw in a 30
minute time element that wasn't there in the first instance. In the
first instance, you have both pails which you can quickly and
alternately dip your hand into one or the other. In the second
instance, you're presented with one pail to dip your hand in, and then
30 minutes later, another pail to dip your hand in.

To say that the second instance was the same as the first only blind
is wildly incorrect and not even remotely analogous to cable testing.

The set-up with two water-pails is intended to offer a clear but just
barely detectable difference. It is clear that the test of
discriminating between two things is not the same test as identifying
one of them later in isolation.

But again, this doesn't describe typical cable testing. You're not
waiting 30 minutes before you can compare one element to another. With
the ABX method that Tom uses for example, the comparison can be made
virtually instantaneously. And indeed, most every blind listening test
strives to keep the switching times to an absolute minimum. So I fail
to see why you added this 30 minute interval.

Our senses are better at descrimination than identification. All of
them. We can distinguish between two colors easily but could not
reliably identify them in isolation.

Yes. Which is why blind listening tests strive to keep switching times
as short as possible seeing as we can't simultaneously compare two
sounds the way we can simultaneously compare two colors.

Either one would be an
indication that there's something more than guessing going on.
Statistically speaking, if you're just guessing, one would expect as
many successes as failures. Getting 10 out of 10 wrong would be just
as statistically significant as getting 10 out of 10 correct.

But in any case, what's the relevance of this "test" given that we
already know that our aural memory is rather poor and because of this
blind testing strives to make the switching between A and B is
instantaneous as possible?

Who's doing blind listening tests with switching intervals on the
order of half an hour?

Half an hour allows any sensory memeory to dissipate, I should think,
for this test.

But if you want to establish actual audible differences you DON'T WANT
sensory memory to dissipate unless you intentionally want to create a
blind test which would give a null result even when it involves
differences known to be audible.

You want the listener to retain as much sensory memory as possible.
And that's why blind listening tests strive to keep the switching
times as short as possible.

So again, I completely fail to understand why you seem to think that
this 30 minutes to allow sensory memory to dissipate is in ANY WAY
analogous to cable testing. This would be the ANTITHESIS of any
competent cable test.

se

Michael Scarpitti

(Steve Eddy) wrote in message news:j6nEb.595284$Fm2.545906@attbi_s04...
On 18 Dec 2003 16:23:08 GMT,
(Michael

Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

Yes, of course. Make it 15 minutes if you want, or 10.

In the
first instance, you have both pails which you can quickly and
alternately dip your hand into one or the other.

Yes, just like sighted testing, no?

In the second
instance, you're presented with one pail to dip your hand in, and then
30 minutes later, another pail to dip your hand in.

Just like blind testing, no?

To say that the second instance was the same as the first only blind
is wildly incorrect and not even remotely analogous to cable testing.

Of course it analogous.

The set-up with two water-pails is intended to offer a clear but just
barely detectable difference. It is clear that the test of
discriminating between two things is not the same test as identifying
one of them later in isolation.

But again, this doesn't describe typical cable testing. You're not
waiting 30 minutes before you can compare one element to another. With
the ABX method that Tom uses for example, the comparison can be made
virtually instantaneously. And indeed, most every blind listening test
strives to keep the switching times to an absolute minimum. So I fail
to see why you added this 30 minute interval.

Try it with less time and see if it matters. Really, try the test and
see how you fare.

[...]

The fact is that all of our senses are better at discrimination than
identification, and that failing identification tests means nothing as
a way of disproving discrimination tests.

se

Steve Eddy

Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

Why make it any minutes in particular? There's absolutely nothing
about blind listening which would require any greater length of time
than sighted listening. This time element you're throwing in here
hasn't anything to do with whether the listening is done blind or
sighted.

In the
first instance, you have both pails which you can quickly and
alternately dip your hand into one or the other.

Yes, just like sighted testing, no?

Sure. But just like blind testing as well.

In the second
instance, you're presented with one pail to dip your hand in, and then
30 minutes later, another pail to dip your hand in.

Just like blind testing, no?

Just like sighted testing as well if one chooses to require a 30
minute time element. Again, the time element has absolutely nothing to
do with whether the testing is done sighted or blind. It could be 30
minutes or instantaneous whether sighted or blind.

To say that the second instance was the same as the first only blind
is wildly incorrect and not even remotely analogous to cable testing.

Of course it analogous.

Seeing as a blind test can be done just the same as a sighted test and
the time element you add here has absolutely nothing to do with
whether the test is sighted or blind, no, it's not analogous.

The set-up with two water-pails is intended to offer a clear but just
barely detectable difference. It is clear that the test of
discriminating between two things is not the same test as identifying
one of them later in isolation.

But again, this doesn't describe typical cable testing. You're not
waiting 30 minutes before you can compare one element to another. With
the ABX method that Tom uses for example, the comparison can be made
virtually instantaneously. And indeed, most every blind listening test
strives to keep the switching times to an absolute minimum. So I fail
to see why you added this 30 minute interval.

Try it with less time and see if it matters. Really, try the test and
see how you fare.

What has this to do with whether the test is sighted or blind?

[...]

But most every blind test I'm aware of has tested based on
discrimination. Even the ABX tests that Tom has administered. With ABX
testing, all you have to do is discriminate. If you're able to
discriminate, then identification takes care of itself by way of
simple logic.

For example, if you switch between A and B and discern some
difference, any difference, then if you switch between A and X and are
also discern a difference, then simple deductive logic says that X
must be B.

So you don't have to make any sort of identification while listening.
You just have to discriminate.

se

Richman's ethical lapses Michael McKelvy Audio Opinions 9 December 12th 03 08:16 AM
cabling explained Midlant Car Audio 8 November 14th 03 03:07 AM
Digital Audio Cable Question(s) Hugh Cowan High End Audio 11 October 8th 03 07:15 PM
Comment about speaker cables/interconnects Martin High End Audio 18 September 17th 03 04:07 PM
Testing speaker cable. normanstrong High End Audio 3 July 27th 03 11:22 PM