BrianEWilliams

Default Rega Planar 3 and Grado Black -- No Hum

My Elys cartridge just died, and not wanting to spend a lot, I thought
I'd try a $40 Grado Black on my 13 year old Rega Planar 3. Doing a
little Google search before buying revealed a lot of posts about a hum
problem with this combination. It didn't seem to be a problem for
everyone, so I took a chance. Happy to say that I hear no hum, even
with the arm at the end of the record and the volume way up.

jeffc

"BrianEWilliams" wrote in message
et...

BTW, I sort of hate dropping records on the moving glass platter, but
I also don't like starting and stopping the Rega in between plays.
Not sure what I am going to do about this. The simplest thing is to
relax. The tech who installed the Grado said not to worry since the
label and the edge will support the record off of the platter.

Even so, you have to keep your turntable platter and records clean! Then
there shouldn't be any problem.

chris

BTW, I sort of hate dropping records on the moving glass platter, but
I also don't like starting and stopping the Rega in between plays.
Not sure what I am going to do about this. The simplest thing is to
relax. The tech who installed the Grado said not to worry since the
label and the edge will support the record off of the platter.

Well you could use the olde DJ technique of using a felt turntable mat
directly on the glass platter ,it slips nicely as you take the record on and
off the turntable. and see if you like the sonic implications of using felt
instead of rubber.

Chris.