Al

Default Building your own DB-25 to audio cable

Hello everyone,

considering buying a soundcard (Delta 1010) without the breakout
cable.

As far as I know, this DB-25 pin connector on the back of the Delta is
standard M-Audio, and wiring my own up to RCA or even my own choice of
unbalanced connector shouldn't be difficult at all.

Anyone have any links to help? I can't find any for the life of me.
Help!
Rail Jon Rogut

It may be the same as used by Digidesign for their 192.. if so download the
manual for the 192 from their web site.. it has a wiring diagram.

Rail
--
Recording Engineer/Software Developer
Rail Jon Rogut Software

"Al" wrote in message
m...
Hello everyone,

considering buying a soundcard (Delta 1010) without the breakout
cable.

As far as I know, this DB-25 pin connector on the back of the Delta is
standard M-Audio, and wiring my own up to RCA or even my own choice of
unbalanced connector shouldn't be difficult at all.

Anyone have any links to help? I can't find any for the life of me.
Help!

Arny Krueger

"Al" wrote in message

considering buying a soundcard (Delta 1010) without the breakout
cable.

....but hopefully with the interface box. The 1010 card is pretty useless
without the interface box because the converters are in the interface box.

OTOH, if you are talking 1010LT, then that cable is passive. But the 101LT
cable connector has a lot more than 25 pins - more like 44 (rough count).

As far as I know, this DB-25 pin connector on the back of the Delta is

standard M-Audio,

I wasn't aware that M-Audio had a standard for this kind of cable. If they
do, its probably straight-through. But, I don't know what the pairing is,
off-hand. Even straight-though cables aren't necessarily generic or
standard.

and wiring my own up to RCA or even my own choice of unbalanced connector

shouldn't be difficult at all.

AFAIK, the connection between a Delta 1010 interface box and the sound card
is 100% digital. I don't know how balanced or unbalanced would relate to
that.

Anyone have any links to help? I can't find any for the life of me.

I have a 1010 if that is any help, but its at a remote site.

TonyP

"Al" wrote in message
m...
Hello everyone,

considering buying a soundcard (Delta 1010) without the breakout
cable.

As far as I know, this DB-25 pin connector on the back of the Delta is
standard M-Audio, and wiring my own up to RCA or even my own choice of
unbalanced connector shouldn't be difficult at all.

Last time I checked it wasn't a DB25 connector. However the proper connector
is available if you look hard enough, and I can't see any reason not to make
your own rather than use extension leads with the original.

TonyP.

Analogeezer

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
"Al" wrote in message

[...]

Do you have any experience with running longer cables from the PCI
card to the breakout box?

I think M-Audio says a max of around 12 feet, I've got about a 15
footer with no problems, but I relocated the rack the breakout box was
in and to get the cable out of the way I'd really need to run about 20
feet.

Analogeezer

Arny Krueger

om
"Al" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry, no.

I suspect that the cable is transmitting an internal interface that is
TTL-based, so capacitance is probably more of an issue than resistance. Both
can be managed if you can select the cable wiring carefully. Of course, few
who have ever done so, actually want to go out of their way to solder up the
cable for themselves. 25 and even 50 foot cables have worked for PC
printers which also have a TTL interface, but that is probably a far slower
signal.

I think M-Audio says a max of around 12 feet, I've got about a 15
footer with no problems, but I relocated the rack the breakout box was
in and to get the cable out of the way I'd really need to run about 20
feet.

Were it up to me, I'd just run a longer analog snake from the interface
box to the console or wherever the mic preamps are. I see no special joy in
having the interface box near the source. It's basically a set-and-forget
thingie, anyhow.

BTW I just picked up a 1010LT to expand from 12 to 16 channels by replacing
my Delta 66. The Delta 66's unbalanced inputs seem to be working well, so
why not? In this case there's nothing but analog to extend, and my plan is
to cut 4 12' RS "Gold" RCAs in half, and solder on TRS plugs wired to bridge
the inserts on the host SR-32.

If you haven't noticed, M-Audio has a pretty good discount sale going on
most of the Delta series, including both flavors of the 1010.

Arny Krueger

"Al" wrote in message
om

Sorry all for not being more precise. I'm looking at buying a 1010LT
(the one with RCA connectors) but it doesn't come with the connector
cable.

http://m-audio.com/images/en/callout...ta_1010_lt.jpg

Looks like some custom stuff for the analog connector about 46 pins.

I suspect its some kind of standard DB connector. I count two rows of 15
pins and one row of 14 pins, but I'm a lousy counter.

The digital is a DB-15, though I don't really care about the wordclock

I/O just MIDI.

Hope you're getting one whale of a cheap price, because current retail for a
1010T is about $215

Any ideas on how to build this?

2 appropriate DB connectors, an audio generator or other stable analog
signal source (e.g. a CD player playing a CD-R with test tones) and a scope
or at least a meter.

I am looking for a pin-out diagram or
some method to find out using basic audio tools.

Signal negative lines should be easy since almost nothing is balanced on
the 1010LT. They are all ground but the two balanced inputs.

Outputs can be done with a scope and any program that sends a known signal
out the outputs. The "Audio Rightmark" test program seems to be a reasonable
piece of highly flexible freeware for activating outputs.

Analog inputs can be done with an appropriate analog signal source and an
appropriate program that records. You can even use one of the analog outputs
as a signal source.

The only lines that even take much thought is the MIDI and the digital
input. You're going to need a separate SP/DIF signal to confirm the digital
input. It would probabaly be best to use real world MIDI hardware to confirm
the MIDI I/O. OTOH, MIDI outputs are pretty distinctive on a 'scope. In a
pinch, you could even meter it.

I'm really determined to do this as I would build a little patchbay as
an external plate for the soundcard instead of re-creating 16 RCA
connectors.

Or, a break out box. You could populate it with TRS jacks and
impedance-matched outputs and then you would have a Delta 88. ;-)

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Sorry all for not being more precise. I'm looking at buying a 1010LT
(the one with RCA connectors) but it doesn't come with the connector
cable.

Why? Why don't you look for one that has the cable? Every one that
M-Audio sells comes with the cable. Where's the cable for the one you
want to buy? Still at the studio the computer was stolen from perhaps?
I'd be careful about buying an incomplete product that's still in
production and selling new.

Any ideas on how to build this? I am looking for a pin-out diagram or
some method to find out using basic audio tools.

If you really want to know, contact M-Audio. Ask them how much it
costs to buy one, and if the cost of the cable plus whatever you can
buy the card for is more than a new 1010LT (or more than you want to
pay for one) then pass it up and wait for a better deal.

I'm really determined to do this as I would build a little patchbay as
an external plate for the soundcard instead of re-creating 16 RCA
connectors.

That's actually not a bad idea. If you had the origial cable, you
could trace it out and make a patchbay equivalent. But if you have
found one to buy without the cable, I'd be careful for reasons other
than that you don't know how to connect it to the real world.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

TonyP

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
I suspect its some kind of standard DB connector. I count two rows of 15
pins and one row of 14 pins, but I'm a lousy counter.

I think it's 38 pin, but that's from memory. I did find a source for the
plugs, but of course I can't remember who :-)

Hope you're getting one whale of a cheap price, because current retail for

1010T is about $215

Know any good shops selling them for that, who will ship to Australia Arny?

Or, a break out box. You could populate it with TRS jacks and
impedance-matched outputs and then you would have a Delta 88. ;-)

First thing I would do too.

TonyP.

Arny Krueger

"TonyP" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
I suspect its some kind of standard DB connector. I count two rows
of 15 pins and one row of 14 pins, but I'm a lousy counter.

I think it's 38 pin, but that's from memory. I did find a source for
the plugs, but of course I can't remember who :-)

Hope you're getting one whale of a cheap price, because current
retail for a 1010T is about $215

Know any good shops selling them for that, who will ship to Australia
Arny?

Not offhand.

Here are some places to check:

http://www.midiwarehouse.com/

http://www.digitraxx.com/ma_d1010lt.html

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--MDOD1010LT

http://www.swee****er.com/store/detail/Delta1010LT/

http://www.bayviewproaudio.com/delta_1010lt.html

http://www.midi-classics.com/h/h21381.htm

Mine came from Florida Music, but I see they have the price back up.

TonyP

"TonyP" wrote in message
Know any good shops selling them for that, who will ship to Australia
Arny?

Not offhand.
Here are some places to check:

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Mine came from Florida Music, but I see they have the price back up.

Strange, computer parts don't often go up, memory chips excluded.

TonyP.

Arny Krueger

"TonyP" wrote in message
Know any good shops selling them for that, who will ship to
Australia Arny?

Not offhand.
Here are some places to check:

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Mine came from Florida Music, but I see they have the price back up.

Strange, computer parts don't often go up, memory chips excluded.

I think this is a short-term promotional sale.

TonyP

"TonyP" wrote in message
Strange, computer parts don't often go up, memory chips excluded.

I think this is a short-term promotional sale.

Seems more like the normal thing that happens when something is nearly
obsolete, and costs have already been recovered.
The future seems to be in firewire boxes IMO, but the development premium is
pretty steep at the moment.

TonyP.

Arny Krueger

"TonyP" wrote in message
Strange, computer parts don't often go up, memory chips excluded.

I think this is a short-term promotional sale.

Seems more like the normal thing that happens when something is nearly
obsolete, and costs have already been recovered.

Or, it's just a short-term promotion for the mid-summer, when sales are
usually a bit slower.

The future seems to be in firewire boxes IMO, but the development
premium is pretty steep at the moment.

I suspect we'll watch USB-2 and Firewire duke it out for a few years.

TonyP

"TonyP" wrote in message
u...

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
I suspect its some kind of standard DB connector. I count two rows of 15
pins and one row of 14 pins, but I'm a lousy counter.

I think it's 38 pin, but that's from memory.

Apologies to Arny, I had a look at the Delta 1010LT manual and it clearly
states 44 pins!

TonyP.

Arny Krueger

"TonyP" wrote in message
"TonyP" wrote in message
u...

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

I suspect its some kind of standard DB connector. I count two rows
of 15 pins and one row of 14 pins, but I'm a lousy counter.

I think it's 38 pin, but that's from memory.

Apologies to Arny, I had a look at the Delta 1010LT manual and it
clearly states 44 pins!

OK, this just means that I'm not the only lousy counter! ;-)

TonyP

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
No wonder. That's one of the "high density" styles, hard to count for
those of us with old feeble eyes.

I don't think I'd want to build my own - fat fingers and feeble eyes
don't work well with sub-subminiature contacts.

True, but I don't particularly like the idea of all those short leads with
RCA sockets, followed by more leads with RCA to phone plugs that I require.
Then again it may be quite a problem getting 16 cables or a multicore into
a D25 shell too.

TonyP.

Gallons of Snake Oil malcolm Audio Opinions 3 February 17th 04 09:41 AM
cabling explained Midlant Car Audio 8 November 14th 03 04:07 AM
science vs. pseudo-science ludovic mirabel High End Audio 91 October 3rd 03 09:56 PM