Posted to rec.audio.pro
jeffontheleft jeffontheleft is offline

Default microphone cable building questions

So, here are my questions:

In the cable I'm working with one purple and one clear wire. Which is
positive and which is negative? Or does it matter so long as I'm
consistent....?

Which of the terminals 1, 2 or 3 in a female XLR connector is positive
and which is negative? Is the standard 1=G, 2=positive and
3=negative?

Which of the terminals in a female 1/4" connector is positive and
which is negative? The terminal in the position that corresponds to
'1' on the XLR seems to make contact at the ring and '2' at the tip.
Is it ring=negative, tip=positive?

So would it work out if I designated purple=positive, clear=negative,
and then linked the two connectors so that XLR 1--TRS G...XLR 2--
purple--TRS tip....XLR 3--clear-- TRS ring?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 20:11:35 -0700 (PDT), jeffontheleft
wrote:

So, here are my questions:

In the cable I'm working with one purple and one clear wire. Which is
positive and which is negative? Or does it matter so long as I'm
consistent....?

Which of the terminals 1, 2 or 3 in a female XLR connector is positive
and which is negative? Is the standard 1=G, 2=positive and
3=negative?

Which of the terminals in a female 1/4" connector is positive and
which is negative? The terminal in the position that corresponds to
'1' on the XLR seems to make contact at the ring and '2' at the tip.
Is it ring=negative, tip=positive?

So would it work out if I designated purple=positive, clear=negative,
and then linked the two connectors so that XLR 1--TRS G...XLR 2--
purple--TRS tip....XLR 3--clear-- TRS ring?

Thanks!

Since these are not standard colours for a mic cable, you can choose
what you like. Just make sure that the screen braid connects to pin 1,
and pins 2 and 3 connect to the same pin number at both ends.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

jeffontheleft wrote:
So, here are my questions:

In the cable I'm working with one purple and one clear wire. Which is
positive and which is negative? Or does it matter so long as I'm
consistent....?

As long as pin1 = screen, all you need to be is consistant with the other 2.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

jeffontheleft wrote:

In the cable I'm working with one purple and one clear wire. Which is
positive and which is negative? Or does it matter so long as I'm
consistent....?

I'm sure that I read somewhere on the net that positive electricity flows
through lighter colors and negative electricity flows through darker wires.
You should disassemble every one of your mic cables, note the colors
and which pins they're connected to, and be sure that you don't plug
one with a dark color on Pin 2 to one with a light color on Pin 2 or else
you'll get no sound.

Naw, I'm just pulling your leg - wire is wire. Just use decide which one is
positive and which is negative and use that scheme throughout.

Which of the terminals 1, 2 or 3 in a female XLR connector is positive
and which is negative? Is the standard 1=G, 2=positive and
3=negative?

That's correct, but you need to understand what positive and negative
mean in the context of a microphone. It's not like a battery since the
microphone produces alternating current. A properly wired microphone
makes Pin 2 go positive with respect to Pin 3 with a positive pressure
on the
diaphragm. Positive pressure makes the diaphragem move away from the
sound source.

Which of the terminals in a female 1/4" connector is positive and
which is negative?

The most common configuration is with the tip positive with respect
to the ring. In other words:
Pin 1 = sleeve
Pin 2 = tip
Pin 3 = ring

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

jeffontheleft wrote:

In the cable I'm working with one purple and one clear wire. Which is
positive and which is negative? Or does it matter so long as I'm
consistent....?

Which do you want it to be?

Which of the terminals 1, 2 or 3 in a female XLR connector is positive
and which is negative? Is the standard 1=G, 2=positive and
3=negative?

Which do you want it to be? There are two standards.

Which of the terminals in a female 1/4" connector is positive and
which is negative? The terminal in the position that corresponds to
'1' on the XLR seems to make contact at the ring and '2' at the tip.
Is it ring=negative, tip=positive?

For the most part, the tip should be positive when the microphone diaphram
is depressed downward.

So would it work out if I designated purple=positive, clear=negative,
and then linked the two connectors so that XLR 1--TRS G...XLR 2--
purple--TRS tip....XLR 3--clear-- TRS ring?

Depends on whether you are in Ampex land where pin 3 is hot or Altec land
where pin 2 is hot. Don't worry about it, just be consistent.