Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] recordingstudiotour@gmail.com is offline

Default Recording Studios

Hi,
I am interested in learning about where the great recording studios
are. Or, rather, I am interested in learning about what the great
recording studios of old are NOW. Someone told me that the studio
where Stevie Ray Vaughan recorded Texas Flood is now a school.
Today's technology has killed the "traditional recording studio
environment."

While there is absolutely nothing wrong with using
technology to create art I think these living monuments to the past
have to be documented.

My goal is to start by creating a map section here on Google showing
these studios around the world then to take the concept to the next
level.

Please visit my group at http://groups.google.com/group/lost-...dios?lnk=gschg
and make your suggestions. You may become part of something worth
remembering!!!

Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

This got me thinking a bit...
A favorite little hobby of mine is to drive around Los Angeles and San
Francisco to look at historical (mostly musical) places, both old and
current. I went looking a couple of years ago for the Santa Monica
Blvd/Vine Street location of Gold Star Records, wondering if it was
still a studio. It's not. The original building was demolished in the
80s. What a legendary place; Spector recording Sonny and Cher, plus
Beach Boys, Monkees, Boyce and Hart, Lennon, Buffalo Springfield, Dylan,
The Association, and so many more. Now it's the site of a water
company, IIRC.

The great A&M studio (Herb Alpert, The Carpenters, We Are the World,
etc) is long gone. Capital (where I've worked) is happily still there
on Vine, and the great RCA (now BMG) studio is still there on Sunset.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"nebulax" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

Gold Star is gone, but I think that Western Recorders lives on as Cello
Sudios (well, EastWest, now)
-Neb

Indeed; the old site of Reprise, founded by Sinatra/Crosby, et al.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

On Dec 28, 12:09*am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

I forgot to mention that Gold Star was for years "home" for two people
who are probably the two most recorded musicians of all time: Hal
Blaine and Carol Kaye.