Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dan Dan is offline

Default Going from TOSlink TV Output to RCA Analog?

I want to connect my TV up to my WaveRadio but the TV only has a digital
audio TOSLink output. I know there are very expensive outboard DACs but
I am looking for a very simple and inexpensive DAC to make this
connection. I am can't find such an animal...

TIA,
Dan
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Dan wrote:

I want to connect my TV up to my WaveRadio

You have to be joking ! What on earth for ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dan Dan is offline

On 6/28/07 11:41 PM, Eeyore wrote:

Dan wrote:

I want to connect my TV up to my WaveRadio

You have to be joking ! What on earth for ?

Graham

Because the WaveRadio sounds better than the built-in TV audio and I
have space restrictions in my bedroom. (please no 'Buy Other Stereo
Equipment' stuff).
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Dan" wrote ...
I want to connect my TV up to my WaveRadio but the TV only has a
digital audio TOSLink output. I know there are very expensive outboard
DACs but I am looking for a very simple and inexpensive DAC to make
this connection. I am can't find such an animal...

TOSLink describes the physical connector.
What kind of digital signal is coming out of it?

If it is simple stereo (SPDIF), there is (or was?) a simple
and inexpensive converter available at Radio Shack. It
doesn't seem very likely that a TV receiver would have
SPDIF output, though.

OTOH, if it is some sort of 5.1 surround sound, etc, then
there is no simple solution to extracting L/R stereo to
feed to your table radio.

(Recommend not mentioning Bose if you can avoid it.)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Dan" wrote in message

I want to connect my TV up to my WaveRadio but the TV
only has a digital audio TOSLink output. I know there
are very expensive outboard DACs but I am looking for a
very simple and inexpensive DAC to make this connection. I am can't find
such an animal...

It turns out that there are a wide variety of iexpensive outboard DACs that
feature exceptionally high powered outputs. They are also known as
inexpensive surround receivers. Here's an example:

Example:

http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-Surro.../dp/B0006ITPOS

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Speedskater Speedskater is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Dan" wrote ...
I want to connect my TV up to my WaveRadio but the TV only has a
digital audio TOSLink output. I know there are very expensive
outboard DACs but I am looking for a very simple and inexpensive DAC
to make this connection. I am can't find such an animal...

TOSLink describes the physical connector.
What kind of digital signal is coming out of it?

If it is simple stereo (SPDIF), there is (or was?) a simple
and inexpensive converter available at Radio Shack. It
doesn't seem very likely that a TV receiver would have
SPDIF output, though.

OTOH, if it is some sort of 5.1 surround sound, etc, then
there is no simple solution to extracting L/R stereo to
feed to your table radio.

(Recommend not mentioning Bose if you can avoid it.)

Radio Shack had a "Signal Converter" #15-1242 but I think that it
converts analog to digital.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dan@nospam.com is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Dan" wrote ...
I want to connect my TV up to my WaveRadio but the TV only has a
digital audio TOSLink output. I know there are very expensive
outboard DACs but I am looking for a very simple and inexpensive DAC
to make this connection. I am can't find such an animal...

TOSLink describes the physical connector.
What kind of digital signal is coming out of it?

If it is simple stereo (SPDIF), there is (or was?) a simple
and inexpensive converter available at Radio Shack. It
doesn't seem very likely that a TV receiver would have
SPDIF output, though.

OTOH, if it is some sort of 5.1 surround sound, etc, then
there is no simple solution to extracting L/R stereo to
feed to your table radio.

(Recommend not mentioning Bose if you can avoid it.)

It is labeled 'Optical Output Audio' and has a cover over it...
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message

I want to connect my TV up to my WaveRadio but the TV
only has a digital audio TOSLink output. I know there
are very expensive outboard DACs but I am looking for a
very simple and inexpensive DAC to make this connection. I am can't find
such an animal...

It turns out that there are a wide variety of iexpensive outboard DACs that
feature exceptionally high powered outputs. They are also known as
inexpensive surround receivers. Here's an example:

Example:

http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-Surro.../dp/B0006ITPOS

I can't use separates in my bedroom. No place for speaker placement
without major within wall wiring.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
TOSLink describes the physical connector.
What kind of digital signal is coming out of it?

It is labeled 'Optical Output Audio' and has a cover over it...

Do you have the user manual? Does it have any clues?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dan@nospam.com is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
TOSLink describes the physical connector.
What kind of digital signal is coming out of it?

It is labeled 'Optical Output Audio' and has a cover over it...

Do you have the user manual? Does it have any clues?

The User Guide just says "connect an optical cable".

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 08:24:30 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
TOSLink describes the physical connector.
What kind of digital signal is coming out of it?

It is labeled 'Optical Output Audio' and has a cover over it...

Do you have the user manual? Does it have any clues?

C'mon. If it's TOSlink, it's S/PDIF. How many instances are
there of other formats

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:

wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
TOSLink describes the physical connector.
What kind of digital signal is coming out of it?

It is labeled 'Optical Output Audio' and has a cover over it...

Do you have the user manual? Does it have any clues?

C'mon. If it's TOSlink, it's S/PDIF. How many instances are
there of other formats

We don't know. It could be some combo DVD player and
TV that has Dolby Digital 5.1 output or something. We're
working in the dark here. "Dan" is dribbling out the clues
one at a time.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:22:55 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:

wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
TOSLink describes the physical connector.
What kind of digital signal is coming out of it?

It is labeled 'Optical Output Audio' and has a cover over it...

Do you have the user manual? Does it have any clues?

C'mon. If it's TOSlink, it's S/PDIF. How many instances are
there of other formats

We don't know. It could be some combo DVD player and
TV that has Dolby Digital 5.1 output or something. We're
working in the dark here. "Dan" is dribbling out the clues
one at a time.

If so, that is determined by the settings on the source and,
in general, can be reprogrammed to regular S/DIF at the cable
box or TV.

(BTW, I did not mean to send my previous message but hit "send"
when I meant to hit "cancel." FWIW.)

Kal
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dan@nospam.com is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Kalman Rubinson" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:

wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
TOSLink describes the physical connector.
What kind of digital signal is coming out of it?
It is labeled 'Optical Output Audio' and has a cover over it...
Do you have the user manual? Does it have any clues?

C'mon. If it's TOSlink, it's S/PDIF. How many instances are
there of other formats

We don't know. It could be some combo DVD player and
TV that has Dolby Digital 5.1 output or something. We're
working in the dark here. "Dan" is dribbling out the clues
one at a time.

I may have misspoke about TOSlink. I thought that was the digital
connection. The manual just states 'optical audio output'. Never used
an optical connection...
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:27:08 -0500, wrote:

I can't use separates in my bedroom. No place for speaker placement
without major within wall wiring.

Eh? Where can't you run a wire to? Or are you obsessed with not
SEEING the wire?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message

I want to connect my TV up to my WaveRadio but the TV
only has a digital audio TOSLink output. I know there
are very expensive outboard DACs but I am looking for a
very simple and inexpensive DAC to make this
connection. I am can't find such an animal...

It turns out that there are a wide variety of iexpensive
outboard DACs that feature exceptionally high powered
outputs. They are also known as inexpensive surround
receivers. Here's an example: Example:

http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-Surro.../dp/B0006ITPOS

I can't use separates in my bedroom.

In usual audio terminology, a receiver is not a "separate".

No place for speaker placement without major within wall wiring.

Are you saying that you want to use the speakers in your TV via its audio
inputs?

There's an out-of-production surround sound adaptor called the Technics
SHAC-500 that could work.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote ...
I may have misspoke about TOSlink. I thought that was the digital
connection. The manual just states 'optical audio output'. Never
used an optical connection...

If it is undocumented, you are left with just trying
the optical output into an SPDIF input, and if that
doesn't work, into other kinds of optical inputs. Is
there no conventional audio output from the TV,
only the mystery "optical" output?