Posted to rec.audio.tech
Matt Silberstein

Default Selling Speakers, but not an ad

I have some speakers I am going to sell. From investigation they are
worth a few hundred, maybe. I am not going to mention the name so that
no one will say this is spam, but I have a question. The speakers are
in great shape (I never listen to my music very loud and treat them
well) but the grill covers have just fallen apart from age. Should I
re-cover them before selling or let someone see that the insides are
in good shape?

TIA.

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

http://www.beawitness.org
http://www.darfurgenocide.org
http://www.savedarfur.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
Posted to rec.audio.tech
chuck

Matt Silberstein wrote:
I have some speakers I am going to sell. From investigation they are
worth a few hundred, maybe. I am not going to mention the name so that
no one will say this is spam, but I have a question. The speakers are
in great shape (I never listen to my music very loud and treat them
well) but the grill covers have just fallen apart from age. Should I
re-cover them before selling or let someone see that the insides are
in good shape?

TIA.

The buyer will (should??) definitely want to see the condition
of the cones and surrounds. Most of the grill covers, at least
on older quality speakers, are removable. Many, as are the
covers on all my old AR-2ax boxes, are adhered with little
blobs of gummy adhesive, but still removable. Were it me, I
would replace the grill cloths with something nice, but
ensure they can be removed to see the innards.

chuck
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Matt Silberstein" wrote in
message ...
I have some speakers I am going to sell. From investigation they are
worth a few hundred, maybe. I am not going to mention the name so that
no one will say this is spam, but I have a question. The speakers are
in great shape (I never listen to my music very loud and treat them
well) but the grill covers have just fallen apart from age. Should I
re-cover them before selling or let someone see that the insides are
in good shape?

TIA.

Assuming the grills are removable, it should be fairly easy to replace worn
grill cloth, you can get the stuff at most fabric stores.

If the grills aren't removable, then they had better have a well known name,
since most speakers with grills that are non-removable tend to be low
quality. There a few exceptions and I assume that your speakers are in that
category.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Matt Silberstein

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 02:13:28 GMT, in rec.audio.tech ,
in
. net wrote:

"Matt Silberstein" wrote in
message ...
[...]

They are Time Windows. The cloth is easily removable, but not easily
replaced. There is no "grill" per se, there is just the cloth wrapped
around the speaker and attached at the back. The absence of a nice
rigid frame makes it not real easy to replace. I tried and ended up
cutting the cloth wrong. And that is a lot of cloth.

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

http://www.beawitness.org
http://www.darfurgenocide.org
http://www.savedarfur.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 02:38:51 GMT, Matt Silberstein
wrote:

They are Time Windows. The cloth is easily removable, but not easily
replaced. There is no "grill" per se, there is just the cloth wrapped
around the speaker and attached at the back. The absence of a nice
rigid frame makes it not real easy to replace. I tried and ended up
cutting the cloth wrong. And that is a lot of cloth.

So this is a case where speaking of "grill covers" and withholding the
name of the speakers was positively misleading!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Peter Larsen

Matt Silberstein wrote:

They are Time Windows. The cloth is easily removable,
but not easily replaced. There is no "grill" per se,
there is just the cloth wrappe around the speaker
and attached at the back.

Getting them right probably requires a skilled upholstery-maker.

The absence of a nice rigid frame makes it not real
easy to replace. I tried and ended up
cutting the cloth wrong. And that is a lot of cloth.

Hmm ... it is a tough call. It is probably easiest to make them look
good with acoustofoam under the cloth except in front of the units. They
could get too costly by having them done properly.

Otoh, it was positive to me that the L100's I bought some years ago had
new black front cloth replacing the disintegrated foam and that it was
properly fitted by an upholstery-maker and looks very good.

Why do you want to replace them? - I have found them very nice when I
heard them, off all places in the small "bar sized" disco Channel 1
having 4 of them back in 1982. Just the right SPL, not too loud, and
very good sound and their design makes for easy integration into a room.

Matt Silberstein

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Matt Silberstein

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:35:53 +0000, in rec.audio.tech , Laurence Payne
in

wrote:

They are Time Windows. The cloth is easily removable, but not easily
replaced. There is no "grill" per se, there is just the cloth wrapped
around the speaker and attached at the back. The absence of a nice
rigid frame makes it not real easy to replace. I tried and ended up
cutting the cloth wrong. And that is a lot of cloth.

So this is a case where speaking of "grill covers" and withholding the
name of the speakers was positively misleading!

I was torn. I have posted what I thought were simple things and been
blasted for spamming (my sig, for example). So I bent over backwards
to avoid that. And as in the real world I fell over from the bending.

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

http://www.beawitness.org
http://www.darfurgenocide.org
http://www.savedarfur.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Matt Silberstein

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:16:46 +0100, in rec.audio.tech , Peter Larsen
in
wrote:

Matt Silberstein wrote:

[...]

They are great speakers and I still love them. But I know live in a
very small place and if I can get something smaller it would be nice.

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

http://www.beawitness.org
http://www.darfurgenocide.org
http://www.savedarfur.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , jakdedert wrote:
wrote:
"Matt Silberstein" wrote in
message ...

[...]

I have a related problem. The grill on my old HH Scott speakers are
*not* removeable (not easily, anyway. Apparently they were put in
place, then the front molding was glued on.).

They've developed some water stains, and I'd like to make them look as
good as they sound. Is there a cleaner--or a cleaning method--I can use
on this originally cream-colored cloth to spruce them up?

I don't want to damage the drivers or the walnut wood.

jak

I would not try to do anything if the thing can't be removed. A hot hair dryer
might soften up the glue. Many grills can be removed by a long tugging
process, and warmth.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert

GregS wrote:
In article , jakdedert wrote:

wrote:

"Matt Silberstein" wrote in
message ...

[...]

It's recessed in a groove which is formed by a dado in the molding.
It's not coming off easily, and I'm not going to try.

I was looking for a solution (no pun intended) to clean it in place....

jak
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , jakdedert wrote:
GregS wrote:
In article , jakdedert

"Matt Silberstein" wrote in
message ...

[...]

The solution will likely seep into the wood. If I were going to try it, I
might give Oxyclean a try, but any drop on the wood will start to whiten it.

greg