Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Car Stereo Speakers.

I don't know if this is possible or not..... I'm hoping it is.

I have an MP3 player that I want to connect into my car stereo
speakers. I want to be able to plut my MP3 player in using a 3.5mm
jack and then when i unplug my mp3 player, the radio is then allowed to
plug back in.

something like this

MP3 player -------- ------------- Radio
| |
| |
\ /
\ /
Y Splitter

Stereo Speakers

I think it should work in theory i just need help with the wiring. I
have a male - male 3.5mm jack for the MP3 Player to Y Splitter.

I dont know hot to connec the two speakers in my car to a female 3.5mm
jack As far as i can tell a femail 3.5mm jack only has two inputs yet
my speakers have 4 wires..... Which ones go where? wires from the
radio also need a male 3.5mm jack which I am guessing is wired up in
the same way as the female cable?

Any help you can give in the wiring would be most appreciated.

Thank you

Dave

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

a little low cost transmitter can plug in to your player. then dial in the
FM radio and you are ready to rock. avalible at most places that sell stereo
stuff.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tomi Holger Engdahl

writes:

I don't know if this is possible or not..... I'm hoping it is.

I have an MP3 player that I want to connect into my car stereo
speakers. I want to be able to plut my MP3 player in using a 3.5mm
jack and then when i unplug my mp3 player, the radio is then allowed to
plug back in.

something like this

MP3 player -------- ------------- Radio
| |
| |
\ /
\ /
Y Splitter

Stereo Speakers

I think it should work in theory i just need help with the wiring. I
have a male - male 3.5mm jack for the MP3 Player to Y Splitter.

This is not the right way to connect it.
There are two problems:

1. First you are directly connecting two output of two
devices together with Y splitter. This is not the right
way to do it. Wiring two outputs speaker outptus from
different devices to one Y spliter is practically same
as directly shorting them together - it does not work
protperly and equipment damage is highly propable

2. The MP3 player 3.5 mm output is not designed to drive
car speakers. Connecting car speaker to MP3 output
will most propable overload it, causing at least
distorted sound and not nuseable sound level...
at long time use can potentially damage the MP3 player!

I dont know hot to connec the two speakers in my car to a female 3.5mm
jack As far as i can tell a femail 3.5mm jack only has two inputs yet
my speakers have 4 wires..... Which ones go where?

I don't recommend to do this connection.
The MP3 player is not designed to drive car speakers.

--
Tomi Engdahl (
http://www.iki.fi/then/)