Jurgen

Default Good headphone

Hello,

who can recommend me a good headphone please? I prefer a closed system.

Greets, Jurgen

ebyea

Jurgen wrote:
Hello,

who can recommend me a good headphone please? I prefer a closed system.

Greets, Jurgen

The standard is the AKG 240M. Have had a pair for years and love them.
True to the recording because it's what studios use.
Todd H.

"Jurgen" writes:

Hello,

who can recommend me a good headphone please? I prefer a closed
system.

I've been impressed with the Sony MDR-7506's I picked up. Very useful
in live band recording situations providing solid bass and good
passive isolation, and also useful for critical mixing. I'm sure
there are others out there that are as good or better, but these work
for me. I think they were about $100 from a local Guitar Center or
Sam Ash or some such.

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
James Lehman

There are a lot of good dynamic headphones out there. Senheiser, Sony, Koss,
Audio Technica make some really nice ones. A good test is to get a test CD
with digital pulses. A digital pulse is one sample of digital audio at full
output, surrounded by digital silence (zeros). A recording of ticks at 10
per second or less will tell you a lot about a pair of phones. A tick should
sound totally dead and uncolored. If there is any tonal quality to it, the
phones are adding this as an effect of resonance and ringing. You might be
surprised at how different the ticks sound with different phones. It's a lot
harder to hear these effects with regular music. So pick the phones that get
loud enough for you without breaking up, sound good with music and have the
deadest ticks.

~James. )

"Jurgen" wrote in message
Hello,

who can recommend me a good headphone please? I prefer a closed system.

Greets, Jurgen

Jens Rodrigo

Jurgen wrote:
who can recommend me a good headphone please?
I prefer a closed system.

It is not a good idea to do your mastering with
a headphone.

Ear signals via headphones sound totally different
from stereo loudspeaker signals to your open ears.

You cannot decide the necessary filtering EQ,
room sounds, and localization of stage width
and depth.

Think it over.

Cheers Jens

James Lehman

Oh my.....

Plenty of double platinum record producers might disagree with you.

Headphones represent the most easily reproduces listening environment. They
provide total stereo separation. There are many examples of headphones out
there that are the flattest, truest kind of audio output transducers we
have. Headphones can be directly coupled to your ear drums. How much more
control do you need?

A good mix starts with phones and gets tested on many different kinds of
speakers.

~James. )

"Jens Rodrigo" wrote in message
Jurgen wrote:
who can recommend me a good headphone please?
I prefer a closed system.

It is not a good idea to do your mastering with
a headphone.

Ear signals via headphones sound totally different
from stereo loudspeaker signals to your open ears.

You cannot decide the necessary filtering EQ,
room sounds, and localization of stage width
and depth.

Think it over.

Cheers Jens

Joe Kesselman

James Lehman wrote:
A good mix starts with phones and gets tested on many different kinds of
speakers.

Well, I agree on the latter.

Test with EVERYTHING from headphones to high-quality near-field speakers
to cheap-ass speakers to a $19.95 boom box to a monophonic 3" pocket
radio speaker to a car sound system to...

It should at least sound reasonable on all of these. That may mean it
isn't optimal on any of 'em. Finding the best tradeoff is where the
engineering -- and art -- come into it.
GregS

In article , Joe Kesselman wrote:
James Lehman wrote:
A good mix starts with phones and gets tested on many different kinds of
speakers.

Well, I agree on the latter.

Test with EVERYTHING from headphones to high-quality near-field speakers
to cheap-ass speakers to a $19.95 boom box to a monophonic 3" pocket
radio speaker to a car sound system to...

It should at least sound reasonable on all of these. That may mean it
isn't optimal on any of 'em. Finding the best tradeoff is where the
engineering -- and art -- come into it.

I guess, if your trying to make a recording for the radio?

greg
Arny Krueger

"GregS" wrote in message

In article , Joe

Kesselman
wrote:
James Lehman wrote:
A good mix starts with phones and gets tested on many
different kinds of speakers.

Well, I agree on the latter.

Test with EVERYTHING from headphones to high-quality
near-field speakers to cheap-ass speakers to a $19.95

boom
box to a monophonic 3" pocket radio speaker to a car

sound
system to...

It should at least sound reasonable on all of these. That

may
mean it isn't optimal on any of 'em. Finding the best
tradeoff is where the engineering -- and art -- come into

it.

I guess, if your trying to make a recording for the radio?

....or if you're making a recording for playback in a car, or
office.

Joe Kesselman

I guess, if your trying to make a recording for the radio?
...or if you're making a recording for playback in a car, or
office.

.... or if you're making a recording which you intend to sell and thus
can't predict where and on what it will be played back.

Most recordings don't have the luxury of being able to predict where
they'll be used.

GregS

In article , "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"GregS" wrote in message

In article , Joe

Kesselman
wrote:
James Lehman wrote:
A good mix starts with phones and gets tested on many
different kinds of speakers.

Well, I agree on the latter.

Test with EVERYTHING from headphones to high-quality
near-field speakers to cheap-ass speakers to a $19.95

boom
box to a monophonic 3" pocket radio speaker to a car

sound
system to...

It should at least sound reasonable on all of these. That

may
mean it isn't optimal on any of 'em. Finding the best
tradeoff is where the engineering -- and art -- come into

it.

I guess, if your trying to make a recording for the radio?

....or if you're making a recording for playback in a car, or
office.

In a car with who knows what kind of sound system, but may
be in a Monster Garage hot rod going 120 MPH, convertable of
course. Some people have offices in the darndest places.

But perhaps the orginal poster just wants to listen to some
music in a loud plane, and has nothing to do with recording?

greg

ebyea wrote:

Jurgen wrote:
Hello,

who can recommend me a good headphone please? I prefer a closed system.

Greets, Jurgen

The standard is the AKG 240M. Have had a pair for years and love them.
True to the recording because it's what studios use.

I agree, good low end, excellent image, low fatique , decent price.
thanks

wß wrote:
ebyea wrote:

Jurgen wrote:

Hello,

who can recommend me a good headphone please? I prefer a closed system.

Greets, Jurgen

The standard is the AKG 240M. Have had a pair for years and love them.
True to the recording because it's what studios use.

I agree, good low end, excellent image, low fatique , decent price.

Third and I can't understand what everyone else in this thread is
yapping about. What is so hard about answering a simple question
without getting carried away?

Ohh and you won't ever find a more comfortable or durable set of
headphones at any price.