Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Akilesh Ayyar

Default Best Computer Speaker Setup $100

Hi,

What would be the best computer-speaker setup under $100? It has to be
good for both music and computer games. I've heard good things about
Klipsch and Cambridge Soundworks computer speakers... opinions?

I've also heard some people suggest going with regular speakers and a
receiver. That would be fine, but I would need magnetically shielded
speakers. Given that and the cost of interconnects, is it possible to
get a setup that would beat regular computer speakers for music *and*
games (for which a subwoofer would be helpful, no?) under $100?

Any particular recommendations either way? Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Akilesh Ayyar" wrote ...
What would be the best computer-speaker setup under $100? It has to be
good for both music and computer games.

Are you looking for conventional 2-channels (with or without
sub-woofer)? Or are you looking for 5.1 or something more
exotic?

I believe the general opinion around here is that any kind
of speaker that features the word "compter" in the name
or description should be avoided at any cost.

I've heard good things about Klipsch and Cambridge
Soundworks computer speakers... opinions?

None that are worth typing here.

I've also heard some people suggest going with regular speakers and a
receiver.

The best use of a modest speaker budget is for a couple of
low-end "nearfield monitor" speakers as used by home recording
studios, etc. Either passive (requiring an amplifier), or self-
powered.

That would be fine, but I would need magnetically shielded
speakers.

Yes many (most?) of them are made for use near computers
and are magnetically shielded. That should be no great issue,

Given that and the cost of interconnects

I hope you don't mean expensive "snake-oil" cable/wires.
If you spend any more than $10 on all the cables you need,
you are wasting your money where you will never hear it.

is it possible to get a setup that would beat regular computer
speakers for music *and* games (for which a subwoofer
would be helpful, no?) under $100?

No, it is not "possible". It is certain. To maximize your bang
per buck, you might want to get a good pair of speakers with
your current budget, then add a subwoofer when you have
another $100 or so saved up.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Akilesh Ayyar

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:53:38 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"Akilesh Ayyar" wrote ...
What would be the best computer-speaker setup under $100? It has to be
good for both music and computer games.

Are you looking for conventional 2-channels (with or without
sub-woofer)? Or are you looking for 5.1 or something more
exotic?

I'm looking for 2-channel, thanks.

I believe the general opinion around here is that any kind
of speaker that features the word "compter" in the name
or description should be avoided at any cost.

I've heard good things about Klipsch and Cambridge
Soundworks computer speakers... opinions?

None that are worth typing here.

I've also heard some people suggest going with regular speakers and a
receiver.

The best use of a modest speaker budget is for a couple of
low-end "nearfield monitor" speakers as used by home recording
studios, etc. Either passive (requiring an amplifier), or self-
powered.

Any specific suggestions for either type that would be within budget?

That would be fine, but I would need magnetically shielded
speakers.

Yes many (most?) of them are made for use near computers
and are magnetically shielded. That should be no great issue,

Given that and the cost of interconnects

I hope you don't mean expensive "snake-oil" cable/wires.
If you spend any more than $10 on all the cables you need,
you are wasting your money where you will never hear it.

is it possible to get a setup that would beat regular computer
speakers for music *and* games (for which a subwoofer
would be helpful, no?) under $100?

No, it is not "possible". It is certain. To maximize your bang
per buck, you might want to get a good pair of speakers with
your current budget, then add a subwoofer when you have
another $100 or so saved up.

Again, any suggestions? What if I wanted to shoehorn a subwoofer into
the budget at the expense of some speaker quality? Thank you very
much.
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Akilesh Ayyar" wrote ...
Any specific suggestions for either type that would be within budget?

Something like M-Audio StudioPro 3
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/603709/

or Edirol MA-7A stereo micro monitors
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/603677/

I believe there are other speakers in that general category.
Avoid anything that says "computer" or "multimedia", etc.
unles you want just another "me-too" cheap plastic speaker.

Here is the category...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...Ns=P_Price%7C0
Beware that there are a couple of "computer speakers" in that
list which are definitely NOT recommended.

Again, any suggestions? What if I wanted to shoehorn a subwoofer into
the budget at the expense of some speaker quality? Thank you very
much.

If you really want a pair of powered speakers with a sub-
woofer all for $100, you have condemned yourself to a
cheap pair of plastic computer speakers. Just buy whatever
your girlfriend/wife thinks is "pretty" because they all sound
quite lousy. I wouldn't waste my money on such a thing if
I really wanted even halfway-quality sound playback.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On 12 Dec 2005 19:17:31 -0800, "Akilesh Ayyar"
wrote:

What would be the best computer-speaker setup under $100? It has to be
good for both music and computer games. I've heard good things about
Klipsch and Cambridge Soundworks computer speakers... opinions?

I've also heard some people suggest going with regular speakers and a
receiver. That would be fine, but I would need magnetically shielded
speakers. Given that and the cost of interconnects, is it possible to
get a setup that would beat regular computer speakers for music *and*
games (for which a subwoofer would be helpful, no?) under $100?

Any particular recommendations either way? Thanks.

Why do they need to be magnetically shielded? Is there a law that
requires speakers to be mounted right up against the monitor screen?

Maybe there's something sold as a "computer" speaker that isn't
plastic trash. But I've not seen it yet. Plug to your existing hi-fi
system, or buy one. You might as well include a CD player for those
times you want to listen to music without a computer whirring away in
the background.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

further:

A subwoofer can be useful if you choose tiny main speakers. So choose
bigger ones.

What's an "interconnect"? You'll need cable to hook everything up.
But I'm sure you know that esoteric audio cables are a scam?
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
DaveW

For the low price range you are in I believe that Cambridge Soundworks would
offer the best sound for the money. I have used their 2.1 systems for years
and am currently VERY happy with their MegaWorks 215 system which is a 2.1
speaker system and sells for $399. But I also use their Soundworks 2.1
speaker system, with a CD player, and it sounds fine and sells for $79.

--
DaveW

----------------
"Akilesh Ayyar" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

What would be the best computer-speaker setup under $100? It has to be
good for both music and computer games. I've heard good things about
Klipsch and Cambridge Soundworks computer speakers... opinions?

I've also heard some people suggest going with regular speakers and a
receiver. That would be fine, but I would need magnetically shielded
speakers. Given that and the cost of interconnects, is it possible to
get a setup that would beat regular computer speakers for music *and*
games (for which a subwoofer would be helpful, no?) under $100?

Any particular recommendations either way? Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Matt Silberstein

Default Ok, how about $300 (was Best Computer Speaker Setup $100)

On 12 Dec 2005 19:17:31 -0800, in rec.audio.tech , "Akilesh Ayyar"
in
.com wrote:

Hi,

What would be the best computer-speaker setup under $100? It has to be
good for both music and computer games. I've heard good things about
Klipsch and Cambridge Soundworks computer speakers... opinions?

I've also heard some people suggest going with regular speakers and a
receiver. That would be fine, but I would need magnetically shielded
speakers. Given that and the cost of interconnects, is it possible to
get a setup that would beat regular computer speakers for music *and*
games (for which a subwoofer would be helpful, no?) under $100?

Any particular recommendations either way? Thanks.

So is there a reasonable system under, say, $400, preferably
self-powered, 2.1 for music for a medium (14x18 ish) room? Bookshelf
if possible.

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

http://www.beawitness.org
http://www.darfurgenocide.org
http://www.savedarfur.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Matt Silberstein

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:58:05 GMT, in rec.audio.tech , Matt Silberstein
in

s.com wrote:

Hi,

What would be the best computer-speaker setup under $100? It has to be
good for both music and computer games. I've heard good things about
Klipsch and Cambridge Soundworks computer speakers... opinions?

I've also heard some people suggest going with regular speakers and a
receiver. That would be fine, but I would need magnetically shielded
speakers. Given that and the cost of interconnects, is it possible to
get a setup that would beat regular computer speakers for music *and*
games (for which a subwoofer would be helpful, no?) under $100?

Any particular recommendations either way? Thanks.

So is there a reasonable system under, say, $400, preferably
self-powered, 2.1 for music for a medium (14x18 ish) room? Bookshelf
if possible.

doh

You know, just once I would like to post a new thread and not screw it
up. The subject should agree with the body and both say $400.

head slap

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

http://www.beawitness.org
http://www.darfurgenocide.org
http://www.savedarfur.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Nick Zentena

In rec.audio.tech Matt Silberstein wrote:

You know, just once I would like to post a new thread and not screw it
up. The subject should agree with the body and both say $400.

PSB Alpha B. Look around about $250 I bet. Maybe less.
Go to bestbuy etc and buy the cheapest receiver you can find.

Should have money left over for cables etc. Or if you have an old unused
receiver sitting around it's just the cost of the speakers.

Nick

--
---------------------------------------
"Digital the new ice fishing"

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Matt Silberstein

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:33:19 -0500, in rec.audio.tech , Nick Zentena
in
wrote:

In rec.audio.tech Matt Silberstein wrote:

You know, just once I would like to post a new thread and not screw it
up. The subject should agree with the body and both say $400.

PSB Alpha B. Look around about $250 I bet. Maybe less.
Go to bestbuy etc and buy the cheapest receiver you can find.

Should have money left over for cables etc. Or if you have an old unused
receiver sitting around it's just the cost of the speakers.

Nice, they seem to have gotten good reviews. Only available from two
people on-line and not close in a store, but two is one more than the
minimum necessary.

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

http://www.beawitness.org
http://www.darfurgenocide.org
http://www.savedarfur.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
GregS

wrote:

You know, just once I would like to post a new thread and not screw it
up. The subject should agree with the body and both say $400.

PSB Alpha B. Look around about $250 I bet. Maybe less.
Go to bestbuy etc and buy the cheapest receiver you can find.

Should have money left over for cables etc. Or if you have an old unused
receiver sitting around it's just the cost of the speakers.

Nice, they seem to have gotten good reviews. Only available from two
people on-line and not close in a store, but two is one more than the
minimum necessary.

For low bass computer games they would probably lack, but otherwise
would be a good choice. I bought a pair to play around with. Just a bit
heavy on the upper bass, but good. Probably best on stands out from the wall.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Matt Silberstein" wrote in
message ...

So is there a reasonable system under, say, $400, preferably
self-powered, 2.1 for music for a medium (14x18 ish) room? Bookshelf
if possible.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB2031A

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Matt Silberstein

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:15:00 GMT, in rec.audio.tech ,
(GregS) in

wrote:

You know, just once I would like to post a new thread and not screw it
up. The subject should agree with the body and both say $400.

PSB Alpha B. Look around about $250 I bet. Maybe less.
Go to bestbuy etc and buy the cheapest receiver you can find.

Should have money left over for cables etc. Or if you have an old unused
receiver sitting around it's just the cost of the speakers.

Nice, they seem to have gotten good reviews. Only available from two
people on-line and not close in a store, but two is one more than the
minimum necessary.

For low bass computer games they would probably lack, but otherwise
would be a good choice. I bought a pair to play around with. Just a bit
heavy on the upper bass, but good. Probably best on stands out from the wall.

I am going to just play music, not games. And I will have a
sub-woofer. As for stands, I really want to find something that can
sit on the fireplace mantle. Space really is a big issue and anything
I can get rid of will be nice. I love my DCM Time Windows, but they go
up for sale when I get the new system. This is a NYC apt. I would not
give up the location for the world, but I would life some more cubic
feet.

Thanks.