Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default 3.5mm stereo headphone plug information

Hi All,
Newbie here!! Where are some places that I can get good quality 3.5mm
stereo plug? Note: I just want the plug with no cable (or headphones).
Also, I was wondering how much power and current typical 3.5mm stereo
headphones require to work? Is there a standard or electrical spec for
3.5mm stereo plugs?

Thanks in advance for you prompt response.

Clem

Posted to rec.audio.tech

MCM Electronics and Parts Express come to mind, there are others.
There is very much a direct relationship between price and quality.
Switchcraft and Neutrik are quality brands, there are others which I
can't name off the top of my head.

There is a lot of variation in the sensitivity of headsets which means
a lot of different amounts of power to drive them.
NO, there's no standard.

If you closely examine the structure of 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch (3.5mm)
jacks, you will find that they both function on the basis of "POINTS OF
CONTACT", all of the signal tranfer takes place through a very small
percentage of the surface area of either.

They have been used for headphone connectors successfully for decades.

Lee

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Hey Guys,
Thanks for you input. I have a couple more questions. When using 3.5mm
stereo headphones, how much current and voltage is required to power
typical 3.5mm headphones? I know this may vary because there is no
standard but I am looking for a "ballpark" figure.

Thanks,
Newbie Clem