Scott Gardner

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 18:27:28 -0500, (bob wald)
wrote:

7v gives you less distortion at higher volts from head unit.cleaner
power...less stess on the unit.
afew others also if i thunk hard .example, you can run ya unit at 70% of
power n get 4.9volts from 7v. weeee

Bzzt - wrong answer. First, the preouts provide virtually no "stress"
on a head unit, regardless of the voltage They provide almost no
current to the amplifiers because of the extremely high input
impedence on the amplifier.

As for the benefits of 7V preouts, there are pretty much none. Let's
say that your head unit has 2V preouts, and the EQ bumps that up to
7V. Whatever noise is present in the signal from the head unit is
going to be amplified as well. But even if the EQ could amplify the
signal 3.5 times (7V divided by 2V) without amplifying the noise, or
adding any noise of its own, the only benefit would be a *theoretical*
increase of 5.4 dB in the signal-to-noise ratio. (10 * log(3.5)).

The problem is, almost any modern head unit already has a
signal-to-noise ratio of 90 dB or higher. 90 dB is equivalent to one
part noise in one BILLION parts music. If you managed to bump the S/N
ratio up to 95.4 dB, that would be about one part noise per 3.5
billion parts music. Do you think you can tell the difference between
a S/N ratio of 90 and a S/N ratio of 95.4 dB? Guess what, you can't.

About the only thing that having 7V preouts is going to mean to you is
that you're going to have to turn the gains way down on your amplifier
to keep them from clipping anytime you have the head unit volume above
20% or so. Your amps won't play any louder or any cleaner with the
higher input voltage.

All this silliness with ultra-high voltage preouts is almost strictly
a car-audio marketing phenomenon. That's why home and professional
audio gear (even the very best stuff) is still standardized on the old
0.7V preouts. In case you hadn't ever though about it, that's why you
don't have gain controls on home amplifiers - the amplifier knows that
the CD player, tape deck, or DVD player connected to it will have the
standard 0.7V preamp-level signal coming out of it, so the gain
doesn't have to be adjustable.

--
Scott Gardner

"When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's sometimes hard to remember that your original mission was to drain the swamp."

MZ

30band...lol
thats funny...thats too much...and yes you can change your sound but
your reciever, tuner, power supply, wiring and 10 other things can screw
you up. so just because you have that means NOTHING........

Guess you don't know how to EQ do you. You set up a RTA with a
calibrated flat response mic and EQ the actual audio heard by your ears.
Compensates for your wire, speakers etc. within reason. But if you are
using noisy garbage HU, Amps etc. nothing will fix that.

Bah! You don't need an RTA. In fact, don't use an RTA. It'll only bias
matters for you.

In an ideal world, a 30-band (or more) EQ is a very good thing to have.
It'll compensate for any global frequency response dips and peaks your
system exhibits due to the speakers, car, or listener positioning. If you
can get one that can store presets, even better. Your EQ adjustments will
often be radically different based on ambient conditions (eg. windows
up/down, AC full blast or off, even people in the passenger seat...).

However, *in addition* to the 30-band EQ, I also recommend an in-dash EQ for
fine-tune adjustment of the various music one may listen to. Let's be real
here - not all music sounds the same or is mixed and mastered the same.
It's obscene not to be able to control certain aspects of the music, unless
the person listens to the same CD all the time. Bass and treble controls in
most head units are not enough. The number of bands of in-dash equalization
that one should use should basically be the maximum you can realistically
adjust when driving [it's hard as hell to adjust 30 bands while driving -
yes, I've done it].

bob wald

tapes.....god i miss them..chrome tapes are close to cd quality..thats
all i used was chrome..i do have afrew metal tapes.....
It too me many years to make all those tapes i have......

bob wald

Ha shows you know nothing about car audio jethro..my Sherwood xat-3000
over 11 yrs old was 1 of the first 1ohm stabe amps on this planet....oh
is rf-kicker-hifonics 1ohm stable yet??? hAHAhAHAhA........
I think Sherwood stop making them..too expensive to mass produce......

bob wald

scott bbbbuuzzz wrong.....wear n stress doesnt provide stress on every
part of a unit that carries electricity....hmmm
I should call nasa n inform them......they have it all wrong..lol
Nothing is the same from home to car audio....
too....jsyk

bob wald

scott..i went up from 3.5v to 5v out puts..It changed my life.......
You can get a $500, 3v unit offer a trade to my $139, jensen 5v
unit..ill tell you some thing i decided not to type here...but it ends
in go ____ yourself.... lol. wwweeeeee

bob wald

scott i know all that..i know other things count too. but 5-8v is
great...i myself would only use 5v-6v tops.not to damage the 8 amps i
have already......alot of amps have trouble with over 5v.
but jensen i dont think is in the top 5 headunits with overal specs.So
the increase in volts had to make it better....
But it does sound awsome over all....
go ((((JENSENNNNNNN)))))

bob wald

also lets say ya battery wears down alil if you got 7v outs.youll at
least get 5v....weeeeee
if you got 4v then youll get 3v....something like that....

bob wald

so scott you get 100% of specs from stereo no matter what your battery
is doing..Boy Scott you are amazing......

MZ

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, bob wald wrote:
also lets say ya battery wears down alil if you got 7v outs.youll at
least get 5v....weeeeee
if you got 4v then youll get 3v....something like that....

If your battery "wears down", it won't change the output voltage of the
unit. The gain is independent of the supply voltage.

Chad Wahls

Man, I think something went wrong... DC on pin one? Pin one should be
tied to the 3rd prong of the AC inlet. Often times all I/O grounds are
buffered thru a low ohmage, low wattage resistor to chasis ground.
This is done on many pro devices especially in cases where there could
be a lifted neutral on distro (power feed) This could turn the sheild
of drive cables into the neutral, especially since opposite stage feeds
are typically balanced between phases to leep the load proper. the
resistor simply fails.

Is the 3rd pin of your inverter chasis ground? Does it drive 60 volts
above and below chasis groiund or 120V down to chasis? Did you do some
grounding changes after the processor install? Is it (inverter)
Isolated to the point where you could drive the neutral into ground (of
car) Don't want to float the chasis up to 60V or higher. Expierienced
that in a non-staked (earth grounded) tour bus wille holding onto the
door and stepping into a puddle (drunk). "I became the true ground!"

Lets say that pin 3 is tied to ground on the unbalanced in/out. This
will try to drive UP ungrounded devices, even worse, biases the op-amps
high. That would cause some big-time static, having DC floating around
the unit. I suspect the DC on pin one is the root of all problems.
Start at the AC input and go from there....... People using the early
homebrew DC/DC converters were expierinncing the same problems and had
to use trannys all over the ins and outs (very expensive!) I think
there's an easier solutuion. I really wish I was at that point of my
install to be able to assist. (I have just CHOSEN speakers, and the
amp, finally)

Get that chasis ground down to the car chasis and if it still floats,
then somehow those buffer resistors could be shot.

Man, I'm beat.. Please read thru the spelling and gram errors. I've
pulled 2 acres of cattle fence out and can barely think and move.

I'll try to re-read and try to shoot you an e-mail early this week,
work has been rough, no monkeys, just professors

Chad

MZ

Man, I think something went wrong... DC on pin one? Pin one should be
tied to the 3rd prong of the AC inlet. Often times all I/O grounds are
buffered thru a low ohmage, low wattage resistor to chasis ground.
This is done on many pro devices especially in cases where there could
be a lifted neutral on distro (power feed) This could turn the sheild
of drive cables into the neutral, especially since opposite stage feeds
are typically balanced between phases to leep the load proper. the
resistor simply fails.

Is the 3rd pin of your inverter chasis ground?

Yes, it's grounded. It doesn't make much sense to me either, because one
afternoon I did the following tests:

1. check resistance between chassis ground and third prong = 0 ohms.
2. verify that third prong on rackmount outlet strip is tied to ground with
a meter (it's physically tied to ground too - oh yeah, and the surge
suppressor crap is removed from the strip).
3. check resistance between rack rails and ground = 0 ohms (also tied
directly to ground).

But the DC offset problem appears when I either remove the rack rails from
the ground or when I remove the processor from the rack. The other
processor doesn't show any of these symptoms.

I haven't had a chance to look closer, but the lack of logic screams loose
connection somewhere.

Does it drive 60 volts
above and below chasis groiund or 120V down to chasis?

Don't know.

Did you do some
grounding changes after the processor install?

Nope.

Is it (inverter)
Isolated to the point where you could drive the neutral into ground (of
car) Don't want to float the chasis up to 60V or higher. Expierienced
that in a non-staked (earth grounded) tour bus wille holding onto the
door and stepping into a puddle (drunk). "I became the true ground!"

What do you mean? All ground points meet at a distro block directly tied to
the battery negative.

Lets say that pin 3 is tied to ground on the unbalanced in/out. This
will try to drive UP ungrounded devices, even worse, biases the op-amps
high. That would cause some big-time static, having DC floating around
the unit. I suspect the DC on pin one is the root of all problems.

I don't think so. For two reasons: 1) I can eliminate the DC bias and the
problem still persists; 2) Both units are exhibiting static whereas only one
is showing a DC issue. Also, when I got into one of the units, I could
cause the problem and eliminate it simply by tapping or slightly moving the
ribbon cable carrying analog information to the outputs board. Whether the
cable itself is shot or the connectors, I don't know. Obviously, since it's
still under warranty, I'm not going to try to figure that out.

Start at the AC input and go from there....... People using the early
homebrew DC/DC converters were expierinncing the same problems and had
to use trannys all over the ins and outs (very expensive!) I think
there's an easier solutuion. I really wish I was at that point of my
install to be able to assist. (I have just CHOSEN speakers, and the
amp, finally)

What'd you choose?

By the way, I've decided to homebrew two amplifiers - not kits, my own
designs. Of course, various elements will be borrowed from the audio
literature (eg. Wireless World, jAES, as well as that Randy Slone book I
really like - even though it contrasts with Doug Self's book which I
recently finished). So nothing groundbreaking or exotic really.

Get that chasis ground down to the car chasis and if it still floats,
then somehow those buffer resistors could be shot.

Man, I'm beat.. Please read thru the spelling and gram errors. I've
pulled 2 acres of cattle fence out and can barely think and move.

I'll try to re-read and try to shoot you an e-mail early this week,
work has been rough, no monkeys, just professors

What's the difference?

bob wald

scott i never said a third....nice try to over state what i said..i said
like 19% power loss...

Chad Wahls

"MZ" wrote in message
news
I don't think so. For two reasons: 1) I can eliminate the DC bias and the
problem still persists; 2) Both units are exhibiting static whereas only
one
is showing a DC issue. Also, when I got into one of the units, I could
cause the problem and eliminate it simply by tapping or slightly moving
the
ribbon cable carrying analog information to the outputs board. Whether
the
cable itself is shot or the connectors, I don't know. Obviously, since
it's
still under warranty, I'm not going to try to figure that out.

Yeah, I would just get ahold of Behringer, there are different failure
modes, seems strange!

.. (I have just CHOSEN speakers, and the
amp, finally)

What'd you choose?

Morel MDT12 tweets (flanges lathed down to fit stock pod)

Seas CA18RNX mids (7")

Peerless XLS or Dayton Reference sub (Dayton is a little cheaper but brand
spanking new)

Phoenix Gold XS6600 amp, older unit, will do internal banpass crossovers
(very few do!) until I can figure out processing. Can be had new in box for
cheap now.

By the way, I've decided to homebrew two amplifiers - not kits, my own
designs. Of course, various elements will be borrowed from the audio
literature (eg. Wireless World, jAES, as well as that Randy Slone book I
really like - even though it contrasts with Doug Self's book which I
recently finished). So nothing groundbreaking or exotic really.

You have bigger balls than I do.... Well I have a kid, concentration gets
broken often I enjoy amp building but now that I'm older I like playing
with tubes, Dunno, maybe I don't like keeping up on the cutting edge
semiconductors...... Or maybe i have spent soooo long repairing them that I
am burnt out. Seems the market is reforming, AF AND RF transistors are
being discontinued and re-invented at an alarming rate. Some very popular
Toshiba devices are being phased out and I have 2 racks full of amps that
utilize this family of devices. I am in the process of buying as many as I
feel I will need for rebuilds in the future

work has been rough, no monkeys, just professors

What's the difference?

We expect Professors to be able to operate A/V equipment

Chad

bob wald

every battery ever made after about 50days use doesnt hold 100%
charge.....i dout 93%...

Kirby

It may not hold the power for as long.. But if it doesnt hold the same
voltage, somethings terrbily wrong with that battery.

"bob wald" wrote in message
every battery ever made after about 50days use doesnt hold 100%
charge.....i dout 93%...

Scott Gardner

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 17:41:11 GMT, "Kirby"
wrote:

It may not hold the power for as long.. But if it doesnt hold the same
voltage, somethings terrbily wrong with that battery.

True, and different car batteries have different capacities to begin
with anyway. It's not uncommon to see capacities ranging from 25 to
75 amp-hours, but that doesn't affect the battery voltage or the
alternator/regulator voltage one bit.

Bob is just grasping at straws, trying to find a situation that would
cause the big drops in head unit preout voltage that he predicted in
an earlier post. And trying to come up with an example of dropping
preout voltages in the first place was just a misguided, desperate
attempt to demonstrate the "advantages" of 7-volt preouts.

As you can tell, he doesn't have a strong technical background in
mathematics, physics, or electronics, so he's just flopping about like
a fish out of water, trying to come up with situations that justify
his statements, and using super-precise statistics to try to bluff us.

--
Scott Gardner

"It's not necessary to lose your soul in this business, but a certain amount of damage will be done to it"

bob wald

ok 60days.....i'm trying to tell you a fact.every1 knows after 90days
batterys dont hold 100% or like it was new...but its more like 50-60days
i think...

bob wald

scott you are getting stuck of numbers to much....okk is getting a 15%
drop in power ok ? 25%,29% whatever...its all the same principal.

bob wald

scott. i am right.you WRONG again.....batterys dont stay the same though
use....
just admit it..i am the car gear guy.... hAHahAHAHahaHa......
you remind me of those brainless kids at sd board.....
bask in my greatness.....that is i. the car gear guy.

Jethro

bob wald Wrote:
scott. i am right.you WRONG again.....batterys dont stay the same
though
use....
just admit it..i am the car gear guy.... hAHahAHAHahaHa......
you remind me of those brainless kids at sd board.....
bask in my greatness.....that is i. the car gear guy.

bob, you are a waste of bandwidth...

--
Jethro

[(Vas/Vbox)+1]^.5 * Qts or Fs
Jethro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=18662
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=227529

bob wald

scott 0 n 15% n 25% isnt alike..meaning a noticable loss of power from
your battery but not enough for the battery to stop working....

bob wald

what i said was 7v was better than a 4v.especially with a weaker
battery....

bob wald

jethro i know you wanna be like me so bad....

Jethro

bob wald Wrote:
jethro i know you wanna be like me so bad....

Been there done that... in about 1989... except I didn't troll
online...

--
Jethro

[(Vas/Vbox)+1]^.5 * Qts or Fs
Jethro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=18662
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=227789

bob wald

scott once again ill explain to you.your stereo is hooked directly to
your battery.so your stereo takes only from your battery n your
altinator replaces it..doh........weeeeeee

Greg

"bob wald the retard" wrote in message
scott once again ill explain to you.your stereo is hooked directly to
your battery.so your stereo takes only from your battery n your
altinator replaces it..doh........weeeeeee

Then start your engine and disconnect your battery.
If your assumption is correct, your stereo will not work. ****en retard.
Your altenator supplies, and your voltage REGULATOR "REGULATES" the
electricity supply to your electrical system. ****en retard.
doh.......weeeeeeeeeee - ****en retard.
Greg.