Andrew Barss

Default power needs for a basic home system

I just bought a new receiver (Onkyo), and in reconfiguring thre system it
occurred to me I had no idea how many amps the entire system would draw.
On one circuit, I have:

Onkyo (draws 4.1 amps)
Panasonic 27" Tau analog TV
Series 2 Tivo
cable box
Toshiba DVD player (SD-1600)
Technics CD player (SL-PD8)

Is this overloading the circuit?

-- Andy Barss
Robert Morein

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I just bought a new receiver (Onkyo), and in reconfiguring thre system it
occurred to me I had no idea how many amps the entire system would draw.
On one circuit, I have:

Onkyo (draws 4.1 amps)
Panasonic 27" Tau analog TV
Series 2 Tivo
cable box
Toshiba DVD player (SD-1600)
Technics CD player (SL-PD8)

Is this overloading the circuit?

Any reasonable lighting circuit should have no problem.
The total traw of this is about 6 amps, while lighting circuits can deliver
15 amps.
Of course, if the circuit is already populated by other things, such as two
additional HT setups and some lights, a breaker could trip.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

Any reasonable lighting circuit should have no problem.
The total traw

Yo, stoopid! The correct word is draw, not traw. Youse are to freakinbg
ignerint to be here.

Andrew Barss

Thanks for the info --

-- Andy Barss
Carver1200 Carver1200 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Barss
I just bought a new receiver (Onkyo), and in reconfiguring thre system it
occurred to me I had no idea how many amps the entire system would draw.
On one circuit, I have:

Onkyo (draws 4.1 amps)
Panasonic 27" Tau analog TV
Series 2 Tivo
cable box
Toshiba DVD player (SD-1600)
Technics CD player (SL-PD8)

Is this overloading the circuit?

-- Andy Barss
Looks like your system has fairly modest power requirements and should be fine with a typical 15 amp circuit. I've owned a few homes, that had the electrical wiring routed all over the place until it got to my sound system outlet. The result was a light show in several rooms to the beat of my high powered systems bass. Surely my system suffered degraded amplifier output, with the associated line voltage drops. I have since run a dedicated 20 amp circuit to my high powered system, to avoid these problems. If your home has a basement, this is fairly easy to do.