jeffc

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

Damn it, there are those pesky expectation effects again.

Indeed - that's why the tests are done blind...........

Another idiotic conclusion. It's no harder to convince yourself that 2
components sound exactly the same in DBT than it is to convince yourself
that they sound different in sighted testing.

jeffc

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

Switched between two players at a time, (normally the Pioneer and any
'audiophile contender' nowadays, but the Meridian's been compared
against both Pioneer and Sony), using identical CD-Rs synchronised as
closely as possible, and with levels set to be the same +/- 0.1dB at
the speaker terminals, using -20dB test tones at 20Hz, 1kHz and 10kHz.
Since no statistically significant identification was possible, it
seems that the synch was adequate!

Or, more likely, the ears were not.

paul packer

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:05:32 +0800, "TT"
wrote:

Seconded, Ruff. I feel like I've been dragged back down

into that
nightmare hell-hole known as RAO after only lately

escaping it. Names
I'm still trying to forget keep appearing before my

startled gaze like
phantoms of the underworld. Please make it stop.

Paul and Ruff, how is this for a Utopian ideal "When the RAO
gang leave perhaps they could take one or two more with them
that wish to carry on like this all the time" ;-)

It would be an excellent idea in that the persons you have in mind
would be instantly pulverised on RAO, which is why of course they stay
away. And unfortunately the RAO regulars are too shrewd to invite them
over as their reputations preceed them.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:19:28 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:48:10 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

And the abx test removes our expectations, yet leaves their expectations
in.
It is a more biased test than subjective listening!!!
ABX is hideously flawed.

Bull****. What you mean is that ABX doesn't support your absolute
knowledge that 'high-end' designer label gear *must* sound better than
'Chinky cheapies'.
--

It doesn't support it because it is inherently designed
to purposefully support the opposite conclusion.

Clearly you have no idea that these tests are used every day by major
audio manufacturers, for the precise purpose of *revealing* small but
real audible differences made by their R&D guys. Cretin.

And who are the subjects taking such tests?

The R&D engineers, and for final judgements, selected panels of
listeners.

MZ

It's probably worth noting that jeffc is the same guy who claims that the
human ear is a more sensitive and more accurate measurement device than any
man-made instrument. To wit:

http://tinyurl.com/dapzq

http://tinyurl.com/djtfg

"jeffc" wrote in message
m...

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

Like most of the 'subjectivists', you're ignoring reality to push your
own prejudices, and bitching about ABX because it doesn't support your
fantasising about the sound of 'high-end' equipment.

Like most "objectivists" you're ignoring reality to push your own
prejudices, and bitching about listening to music because it doesn't

support
your fantasizing about measuring equipment. What is it exactly that makes
you think perfectly normal people can't simply hear things? What are you

SO
afraid of exactly?

Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:39:43 +0200, Sander deWaal
wrote:

"Arny Krueger" said:

** You're paying for what you get.

Not at all. A lot of the $kilobuck players have the same
operational guts as the $200 players.

Examples please?

The Mark Levinson 31.5 'Reference' transport cost $10,000, but at its
heart is a standard Philips CDM 12 CD-ROM mechanism, OEM cost less
than $50 including all associated electronics. Similarly, the original
Meridian 800 series used about $20 worth of cheap plastic CD-ROM
drive, without even a fancy casing, at the heart of a $15,000 unit.
Why? Because as the Meridian engineers pointed out, that's all you
need!

Of course, their marketing boys kicked in, and you can now buy an 800
series DVD unit in beautiful alloy and glass casework for $20,000, or
a 'dedicated' G98 CD transport for $6,500. Doesn't work any better
than the old plastic CD-ROM, but sure looks pretty...................

Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:35:14 +0200, Sander deWaal
wrote:

"Arny Krueger" said:

Not at all. A lot of the $kilobuck players have the same
operational guts as the $200 players.

Examples please?

Theta-Digital
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...2653a388212cc9

McCormack
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...73dd41bd672652

DVD players.........interesting.

With CD players, the only 2 examples I know of are the Rega Planet
(earlier versions) and the Ah Tjoeb 99, which was in fact a lower-end
Marantz with an added tube stage.

Both weren't kilobuck players, BTW.

Krell and Mark Levinson players all used standard Philips transport
mechanisms, buried under lots of fancy alloy casework. I believe that
Krell switched to Sony when supplies of the old 'swing arm' Philips
CDM9 ran out, the remaining stocks having been bought up by Naim.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:20:31 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:51:42 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:45:15 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message
Clyde Slick wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 11 Jul 2005 17:27:35 -0700, wrote:

Arny isn't too keen on actually listening to audio products, since
they should all sound the same according to tests.

In level-matched blind listening tests, these three
players sound identical - as any reasonable person would expect.

Damn it, there are those pesky expectation effects again.

You are just trying to rationalize the fact that you simply
must have something exotic and esoteric to believe in. (That
this involves audio gear and not some kind of religious
deity and a need for salvation shows a monumental smallness
of mind.) That you place expectation effects higher up on
the scale than simply not hearing differences during a DBT
says more about you as a true believer than it does about
any kind of audio gear.

Take a good look at the test methodology, it only accounts
for eliminating one side of the expectation effects, the expectation
that there will be differences. It does not address eliminating
expectation
effects, based upon an expectation that they will sound the same. Thus,
this so-called "unbiased" test is actually quite biased towards
producing your "expected" results.

Bull****. Those tests are taken by people from both sides of the
fence. The results are the same, only the reactions vary! :-)

That they are taken by people from both sides is irrelevant.
Its the test design that skews the results, so that they tend to
be the same

Still the same old mantra, eh Sackman? The results do indeed tend to
be the same. That's because most decent equipment really does sound
the same, whatever guillible fools like you would like to believe.

Sure, it sounds the same to people who have
preconceived notions that it will sound the same.

It also sounds the same to gullible fools - they just refuse to
believe it, and shell out for fancy nameplates. It's a bit like the
idiots who buy 'designer label' plain white T-shirts for $40.

BTW, the guy who owns the Meridian wasn't best pleased the first time
he came round to 'blow away' my ancient Sony player - but he had the
grace to acknowledge sonic defeat, and still takes pride in the
beautiful casework and immaculate engineering quality of his 588. It's
only the *real* clowns like sad Sackman who deny reality.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 04:37:46 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
.. .
In level-matched blind listening tests, these three
players sound identical - as any reasonable person would expect.

It's true - any reasonable person would expect that you can't hear the
difference between any audio components.

No they wouldn't, if they were also a knowledgeable person. Several of
the multi-kilobuck 'high-end' players are seriously broken, and really
do sound different. The YBA 'blue laser' and Audio Note DAC spring to
mind. Similarly for SET amps.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 04:40:07 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
.. .

Like most of the 'subjectivists', you're ignoring reality to push your
own prejudices, and bitching about ABX because it doesn't support your
fantasising about the sound of 'high-end' equipment.

Like most "objectivists" you're ignoring reality to push your own
prejudices, and bitching about listening to music because it doesn't support
your fantasizing about measuring equipment.

ABX is a *listening* test, moron.

What is it exactly that makes
you think perfectly normal people can't simply hear things? What are you SO
afraid of exactly?

DBTs are *listening* tests, and perfectly normal people do hear
perfectly normal things. What they *don't *hear is any differences
among decently designed gear at all prices - because no such
differences exist.

It takes *really* expensive 'high-end' gear to be so *badly* designed
as to actually produce *adudible* differences! :-)

Why are *you* so afraid to *really* trust your ears when you don't
already *know* what's playing? You're just the same deluded and
cretinous Art Sackman that you always were.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 04:42:16 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
.. .

Damn it, there are those pesky expectation effects again.

Indeed - that's why the tests are done blind...........

Another idiotic conclusion. It's no harder to convince yourself that 2
components sound exactly the same in DBT than it is to convince yourself
that they sound different in sighted testing.

Sure it is, you idiot. If there *is* a difference, then you'll hear
it. If there isn't, then you won't. This cretinous argument of yours
remains the same brain-dead strawman it always was.

Compare and contrast with the 'false sighted' test, where the audience
is told that A is a cheap SS amp, and B is a 'designer label' tube
amp. Several pieces are played with changeover switches being thrown
to indicate tube or SS, and the audience duly notes the liquid treble
and added inner detail of the tube amp. Of course, the switch isn't
actually connected.......................

dean

"
Dean, the price is $200USD, not $2000USD. Arny had said for the price
of replacing the laser in the XA7ES (less than $200USD), I could get a
new one which sounds as good. So I asked him to name some player for
under $200USD, which he did. Althought I'm not entirely convinced that
it will sound as good though.

** In that case, I can tell you that wont be able to find anything as good
as XA7ES for $200USD. I don't read Audio magazines or online reviews but I
do trust my ears and cheapo CD players is no where near as good as flagship
models players like XA7ES. Even with DVD players ( though I am not into home
theatre that much ) the difference in picture &sound between a cheap DVD
players and top range DVD players are apparent.

One of my friends bought a pair of Acoustic Image from the "White Van Scam"
gang awhile ago. Even though I told him that those speakers consist of cheap
drivers and probably don't have cross-over networks and they sounded
*horrible* comparing many other budget speakers ( Dali, Jamo ). He did not
believe me and total convinced that they were as good as Dynaudio Contour
series which he have heard in the HiFi shop. Until I have found an article
about the scam and shown him and ever since then they have been used as
seats. This shows you how convinced people can be until.........

Cheers

Dean

Fella

Arny Krueger wrote:

Fella, like your leader Middius, you have a wonderful
command of the obvious.

Is that supposed to be an insult? Pray do tell, how is George my "leader"?

That follows
from the fact that you have shown yourself to be highly
unfamiliar with a certain high end integrated amp whose name
you just dropped.

I didn't drop that amp. I had it over for two weeks, it had the tube
gain stage in there, btw... I listened, decided that it sounded too
larger-than-life for my tastes and returned it. Looking for something to
replace my densen (Sander is still supposed send me one of his samples).
Hence the comeback to the group, btw.

You are actually dumb enough to really not understand what I meant with
my comeback about that BAT amp. You _*are*_ actually _*that*_ dumb man,
hard to say this but you are a 5 year old 60 year old.

PS: I know you are dumb and all that, ok, but try to get somebody to do
something about this newsreader of yours..... And before you go shooting
your mouth off with that "my newsreader reads the news fellaaa, it sends
my posts fellaaa, it will show no difference in a abx against a high-end
newsreader fellaaa" kind of **** just *look* at how it messes up the
quotes with everything all over the place.

PS2: Checked a bit of history, the great debate, hahaa, you mouse-voiced
keyboard warrior you. So you couldn't present your powerpoint
presentation, imagine a power point presentation... Hahaaa. You have
the voice of a mouse, the brains of a mouse, the heart, soul, the
purpose in life of a mouse. Hahaa.

Arny Krueger

"jeffc" wrote in message
"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in

message

Like most of the 'subjectivists', you're ignoring reality

push your own prejudices, and bitching about ABX because

it
doesn't support your fantasising about the sound of
'high-end' equipment.

Like most "objectivists" you're ignoring reality to push

your
own prejudices, and bitching about listening to music

because
it doesn't support your fantasizing about measuring

equipment.

This is just a poor paraphrase of what Pinkerton said with a
few words changed. Aren't you capable of origional thought?

Yup, we've got another live one who thinks that listening
tests somehow don't involve listening.

What is it exactly that makes you think perfectly normal
people can't simply hear things?

Because of 30 years of experience with people who are
mislead by the golden eared press and their friendly
neighborhood high end audio salesdroid.

What are you SO afraid of exactly?

Come on Jeff, your post is fairly dripping with fear, anger
and hostility. Stop externalizing and get in touch with
yourself for a change.

Arny Krueger

"jeffc" wrote in message
"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in

message

Damn it, there are those pesky expectation effects

again.

Indeed - that's why the tests are done blind...........

Another idiotic conclusion.

As if your ignorant false claims that ears are more
sensitive than any test equipment indicate any special
smarts on your part, Jeff.

It's no harder to convince
yourself that 2 components sound exactly the same in DBT

than
it is to convince yourself that they sound different in
sighted testing.

You're wrong on many counts, Jeff.

First off, its harder to convince yourself of anything in a
DBT simply because DBTs take a lot more work - far more work
than idlers like you or high end audiophile press are
willing to do.

Secondly, most audiophiles, even those who have done dozens
of DBTs still seem to nurture some hope that they will be
able to hear the difference this time.

Thirdly Jeff, DBTs put the listener into a position where
they know for sure that the only way they have to go is to
actually hear a difference. In the bogus non-level-matched,
non-time-synched, sighted evaluations you've done and that
you base your decisions on, people can generally easily hear
differences based on the non-existent level-matching, the
non-existent synchonization of the music, and of course the
evidence of their eyes.

Fella

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:58:40 +0300, Fella wrote:

Most modern R&D in amps and CD players is
biased towards cost reduction. That's why my 'Chinky cheapy' Pioneer
DV-575A will play any kind of silver disc while providing sound
quality identical to that of a SOTA 'audiophile brand' CD player.

I've tried to dissect this little statement of yours up there. Just made
no sense to me. So modern r&d amps (what's an "r&d" amp? Research and
development amp? What is that?) and CD players *"is"* biased towards
cost reduction and this gives your pioneer dvd player exactly the same
sound as a naim, for instance.. Hmm... How does that work out?

It
also plays movies!

Well hardy har har! Congrats there old boy!

If you've really been there and done that, you'll know that they
really do work.

If your sense of "work" means that they curtain enough detail, where
real consequential differences lie, plus the "test" situation, and make
everything sound the same, then yes, they do work.

This *is* about envy with you low-income nerd types, isn't it? You
imagine your yamaha metallic sound $120 receiver as sounding the same as
some $5000 BAT integrated amp, yes? That's how you are able to consume
that edgy, glaringly digital, transistor sound you get from your piece
of **** gear.

You really are a prat, aren't you?

Pace, rhythm and timing? Yes, when done correctly, always a good thing.

See my page he http://www.lurcher.org/ukra/

Wouv! I am impressed.

But wait a sec.. You say:

"Interconnects are home-brewed unshielded twisted pair made from 0.6mm
solid-core Teflon-coated silver-clad OFHC copper (just standard MIL-spec
hookup wire), while connectors are either Neutrik XLR or Deltron
Teflon/alloy RCA jacks."

What's that? Solid core silver clad-OFHC-copper-teflon-bla-bla bla??!
WIRE IS WIRE!! As dumbmika would put it.

And what? "Sony CDP715E – a curious player, not a ‘flagship’ by any
means, but it brought together all Sony’s best CD chips in a way not
really improved" bla bla..

So just *how* does a CD player become "flagship" ? That yours is not a
flagship? Don't they all sound the same?

No but seriously, you should think more about speaker placement, your
"rack" seems to get in the way. You should get yourself a decent
rack, too, btw. And.. Yes, you owe yourself this audition:

http://www.bladelius.com/freja.html

Just get this (though dunno if you _can_ where you live, wherever that
might be, who cares! if not get a Linn univesal player) and hook it up.
You *will* hear an abundance of all kinds of differences... ALL for the
better! Don't mess with any DBT sessions to verify this though. JUST
TRUST YOUR FRIGGIN EARS FERCHRISSAKES! Do you do a DBT when you eat some
better tasting meal at a gourmet restaurant? NO! You sit there and eat it.

Piece of **** gear? I don't think so................

So why don't you use some $200 yamaha integrated amp (or whatever the
**** they might cost arny!) as an amp? Level matched and fixed volume
and all that they all sound the same? What's with that "exotic" amp?
"krell" ?? Ain't never heard of no "kkrelll" in circuitcity, haha! (or
wherever the **** you should be getting your electronics from)..
Arny Krueger

"jeffc" wrote in message
"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in

message

In level-matched blind listening tests, these three
players sound identical - as any reasonable person would
expect.

It's true - any reasonable person would expect that you

can't
hear the difference between any audio components.

Well then Jeff, that makes you an unreasonable person by
your own words because you obviously expect to hear
differences between most if not all audio components.

Looks like Pinkerton tricked you into hanging yourself with
your own tongue, Jeff. ;-)

Mr.T

"Fella" wrote in message
.. .
Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:58:40 +0300, Fella wrote:

Most modern R&D in amps and CD players is
biased towards cost reduction. That's why my 'Chinky cheapy' Pioneer
DV-575A will play any kind of silver disc while providing sound
quality identical to that of a SOTA 'audiophile brand' CD player.

I've tried to dissect this little statement of yours up there. Just made
no sense to me.

Maybe you should have tried a little harder.

So modern r&d amps (what's an "r&d" amp? Research and
development amp? What is that?)

Yes Research and development *IN* amps...
(Maybe your glasses need replacing?)

Pace, rhythm and timing? Yes, when done correctly, always a good thing.

Only the musicians control that.

MrT.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

Most modern R&D in amps and CD players is
biased towards cost reduction. That's why my 'Chinky

cheapy'
Pioneer DV-575A will play any kind of silver disc while
providing sound quality identical to that of a SOTA
'audiophile brand' CD player.

I've tried to dissect this little statement of yours up

there.
Just made no sense to me. So modern r&d amps (what's an

"r&d"
amp? Research and development amp?

Obviously Fella you are out of your mind because your
purported quotes from Pinkerton are dropping words all over
the place.

Pinkerton didn't say "r&d amps", that's something you made
up.

What Pinkerton did say is "r&d in amps", IOW research and
development in amplifiers.

What is that?) and CD players *"is"* biased towards
cost reduction and this gives your pioneer dvd player

exactly
the same sound as a naim, for instance.. Hmm... How does

that
work out?

The way it works out is that most modern CD players preform
very well, and you don't have to spend kilobucks to get a
good one.

If you've really been there and done that, you'll know

that
they really do work.

If your sense of "work" means that they curtain enough

detail,where
real consequential differences lie, plus the "test"

situation,
and make everything sound the same, then yes, they do

work.

Fella, if you believe that a good optical player like the
one that Pinkerton mentions has an audible fault where it
will "curtain enough detail", then you haven't been
listening very closely.

This *is* about envy with you low-income nerd types,

isn't
it? You imagine your yamaha metallic sound $120 receiver

as
sounding the same as some $5000 BAT integrated amp, yes?
That's how you are able to consume that edgy, glaringly
digital, transistor sound you get from your piece of

****
gear.

Pace, rhythm and timing? Yes, when done correctly, always

good thing.

Pace, rhythm and timing is what musicans do, and what
recording engineers sometimes modify. It's not a property of
amplifiers or CD players.

See my page he http://www.lurcher.org/ukra/

But wait a sec.. You say:

"Interconnects are home-brewed unshielded twisted pair

made
from 0.6mm solid-core Teflon-coated silver-clad OFHC

copper
(just standard MIL-spec hookup wire), while connectors are
either Neutrik XLR or Deltron Teflon/alloy RCA jacks."

What's that? Solid core silver

clad-OFHC-copper-teflon-bla-bla
bla??! WIRE IS WIRE!! As dumbmika would put it.

Wire is wire as Pinkerton would say it. Thing is, he has
this stuff in his system, and he freely admits that it has
no magic properties.

And what? "Sony CDP715E – a curious player, not a

‘flagship’
by any means, but it brought together all Sony’s best CD

chips
in a way not really improved" bla bla..

And with that player in hand, Pinkerton tells one and all
that a low cost player works as well.
No but seriously, you should think more about speaker
placement, your "rack" seems to get in the way. You

should
get yourself a decent

rack, too, btw. And.. Yes, you owe yourself this

audition:

http://www.bladelius.com/freja.html

Given that low cost players can provide facsimile
reproduction of CDs, based on comparison of CD playback on a
good low cost player as compared to the digital file used to
make the CD being played, exactly what is one supposed to do
that would be better?

Just get this (though dunno if you _can_ where you live,
wherever that might be, who cares! if not get a Linn

univesal
player) and hook it up. You *will* hear an abundance of

all
kinds of differences... ALL for the better!

Tell us about your level-matched, time-synched, blind
listening tests, Fella.

Don't mess with any DBT sessions to verify this though.

IOW Fella you want us to check our brains at the door and
act like the kind of fool you are here?

JUST TRUST YOUR FRIGGIN EARS FERCHRISSAKES!

So Fella you don't get the fact that DBTs are exactly about
trusting our ears?

Do you do a DBT when you eat some better tasting meal at a

gourmet restaurant? NO! You sit there and eat it.

There is no controversy over the idea that different foods
in different resturants taste different.

There is a controversy over whether or not CD players sound
different.

Do you get the difference?

Piece of **** gear? I don't think so................

So why don't you use some $200 yamaha integrated amp (or
whatever the **** they might cost arny!) as an amp? Level
matched and fixed volume and all that they all sound the

same?

Fact of the matter is that I do a fair amount of listening
to a $80 Pioneer SX205 receiver.

What's with that "exotic" amp? "krell" ?? Ain't never

heard of no "kkrelll" in
circuitcity, haha! (or wherever the **** you should be

getting
your electronics from)..

I also have a number of so-called *better* amps, and you are
right - they all pretty much sound the same.

paul packer

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:10:06 +0000 (UTC), Stewart Pinkerton
wrote:

Actually, the reason that many of us unsubscribed from RAO is that
it's 'regulars' are gullible idiots like Art Sackman, and pointless
no-life cripples like Hiddius Gorge.

If you unsubscribed from RAO, Stewart, why are you cross-posting from
there?
EddieM

Stewart Pinkerton wrote
EddieM wrote:
Stewart Pinkerton wrote
EddieM wrote:
Stewart Pinkerton wrote
calcerise wrote:

Arny isn't too keen on actually listening to audio products, since
they should all sound the same according to tests.

And indeed the good ones *do*, if we're talking about *listening*
tests. I have a Sony CDP-715E, one of the best-performing players
Sony ever made, although lacking the 'battleship' build of the XA7ES,
I have access to a Meridian 588, probably the finest 'high tech' SOTA
CD player on the planet, and I also own a Pioneer DV-575A 'universal'
player that cost less than the quoted price of a new laser assembly
for the XA7ES. In level-matched blind listening tests, these three
players sound identical - as any reasonable person would expect.

Any reasonable person would most likely also ask that ... when you
were performing a level-matched blind listening test among your
three cd players namely:

1. Sony CDP-715E

2. Meridian 588

3. Pioneer DV-575A

Were you also comparing their sounds from each other?

I have no idea what that means.

I was wondering what exactly were you talking about when you said
you did a *listening* test as you had mentioned above. You said
that you did a *level-matched* blind listening test among the 3 players
and that towards the end, you concluded that all 3 sounded the same.
So I wonder how you carried out your test. Did you listen separately or
did you made an active comparison using a switch during the test?

Switched between two players at a time, (normally the Pioneer and any
'audiophile contender' nowadays, but the Meridian's been compared
against both Pioneer and Sony), using identical CD-Rs synchronised as
closely as possible, and with levels set to be the same +/- 0.1dB at
the speaker terminals, using -20dB test tones at 20Hz, 1kHz and 10kHz.
Since no statistically significant identification was possible, it
seems that the synch was adequate!

And how would a person go about concluding with reasonable expectation
that all three players will sound identical without having made an active
comparison

Irrelevant, given the existence of an 'active' comparison (whatever
that's supposed to mean). [...]

All I meant by that is whether you were actively making comparison between
the two or three player through a switching device during your test in order
to determine presence of subtle differences that may exist.

Why is that irrelevant for me to ask ?

[...] OTOH, anyone with any understanding of the
optics and electronics involved, would indeed expect that they would
most likely sound identical, unless one had a serious problem. Here's
a handy hint - many so-called 'high end' players *do* have serious
design problems, for which you are charged a stratospheric price!

As you're saying above, assuming your good understanding of the optics
and electronics involved influences you to reasonably conclude that the
three players would sound identical, how would you prevent yourself from
reasonably expecting that the three players would sound different when
performing a listening test without doing such thing as active comparison
using a switch during the test ?

How does using a switching device prevent you from the influences that
the three unit would not sound identical -- ?

Arny Krueger

wrote:

Actually, the reason that many of us unsubscribed from

RAO is
that it's 'regulars' are gullible idiots like Art

Sackman,
and pointless no-life cripples like Hiddius Gorge.

If you unsubscribed from RAO, Stewart, why are you
cross-posting from there?

Inability to notice the crosspost from rec.audio.tech
noted.

Margaret von B.

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

Actually, the reason that many of us unsubscribed from RAO is that
it's 'regulars' are gullible idiots like Art Sackman, and pointless
no-life cripples like Hiddius Gorge.

Well, no. It appeared to be your inability to explain why such a world class
engineering talent who was so chummy with the leading audio personalities of
the day and yesterday wasn't recognized by any of them. Furthermore, your
claims of having invented the radar and telephone were met with some
reasonable doubts you could not erase. :-) It was a classic case of digging
one's own hole.

I have no idea who the rest of you are.

Cheers,

Margaret

EddieM

Arny Krueger wrote
Arny Krueger wrote
EddieM wrote
Clyde Slick wrote
Stewart Pinkerton wrote
calcerise wrote:

Arny isn't too keen on actually listening to audio
products, since they should all sound the same
according to tests.

In level-matched blind listening tests, these three
players sound identical - as any reasonable person
would expect.

Damn it, there are those pesky expectation effects
again.

Good point.

There's an equal danger in missing an audible difference
because you expect it to not be there, as there is a
danger in falsely perceiving a difference because the
listening test was done naively.

So Eddie, what to do?

Note that a day later, Eddie has posted to other threads but
has no answer for my simple question.

Are you actually asking me how to properly perform your test so as
to not do it "naively" ? **** You.

Fella

Mr.T wrote:

Yes Research and development *IN* amps...
(Maybe your glasses need replacing?)

Maybe, yes. My mistake.
Fella

Arny Krueger wrote:

Pace, rhythm and timing is what musicans do, and what
recording engineers sometimes modify. It's not a property of
amplifiers or CD players.

Given that low cost players can provide facsimile
reproduction of CDs,

You don't even have a clue as to what you are missing out on.

Wire is wire as Pinkerton would say it.

So now you are putting words into pinkertons mouth? If wire is wire and
some el-cheapo radioshack wire would do the *same* thing then why in the
hell did pinkerton go to all that trouble "home brew"ing all the exotic
teflon silver bla bla?

What the f.ck is wrong with you people?

Fact of the matter is that I do a fair amount of listening
to a $80 Pioneer SX205 receiver.

Yea, you listen to it? What does it say?
Margaret von B.

"EddieM" wrote in message
m...

Arny Krueger wrote
Arny Krueger wrote
EddieM wrote
Clyde Slick wrote
Stewart Pinkerton wrote
calcerise wrote:

Arny isn't too keen on actually listening to audio
products, since they should all sound the same
according to tests.

In level-matched blind listening tests, these three
players sound identical - as any reasonable person
would expect.

Damn it, there are those pesky expectation effects
again.

Good point.

There's an equal danger in missing an audible difference
because you expect it to not be there, as there is a
danger in falsely perceiving a difference because the
listening test was done naively.

So Eddie, what to do?

Note that a day later, Eddie has posted to other threads but
has no answer for my simple question.

Are you actually asking me how to properly perform your test so as
to not do it "naively" ? **** You.

He gets Christmas greetings like that too!

LOL!

Cheers,

Margaret

PS. Look for a response where Arny asserts how comfortable he is with that.

Arny Krueger

"Margaret von B." wrote
in
message

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in

message

Actually, the reason that many of us unsubscribed from

RAO is
that it's 'regulars' are gullible idiots like Art

Sackman,
and pointless no-life cripples like Hiddius Gorge.

Yup, Atkinson's biggest supporters around here are also some
of the biggest idiots in the history of RAO. Zippie as
technically backward as he was, was a bloomin' technical
genius compared to the Middius clique.

Well, no. It appeared to be your inability to explain why

such
a world class engineering talent who was so chummy with

the
leading audio personalities of the day and yesterday

wasn't
recognized by any of them.

What are you talking about Maggie?

Furthermore, your claims of having
invented the radar and telephone were met with some

reasonable
doubts you could not erase. :-) It was a classic case of
digging one's own hole.

I have no idea who the rest of you are.

Figures given that you obviously don't know who you are,
Maggie-man! ;-)

Fella

Clyde Slick wrote:

Debating trade trick no 28. Purposefully misinterpret and misrepresent
waht I say, and then prove the misinterpreted misrepresentation is wrong.

I thought that was his trick numero uno. He tries it all the time.
Arny Krueger

"EddieM" wrote in message

**** You.

Clearly posted in a moment of total clarity - Eddie style!
;-)

Arny Krueger

"Fella" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

Pace, rhythm and timing is what musicans do, and what
recording engineers sometimes modify. It's not a property

of
amplifiers or CD players.

Given that low cost players can provide facsimile
reproduction of CDs,

You don't even have a clue as to what you are missing out

on

You're just posturing.

Wire is wire as Pinkerton would say it.

So now you are putting words into pinkertons mouth?

Where?

If wire is
wire and some el-cheapo radioshack wire would do the

*same*
thing then why in the hell did pinkerton go to all that
trouble "home brew"ing all the exotic teflon silver bla

bla?

I think the story goes that he had a ton of the teflon
silver stuff on hand, and wanted to use it up.

What the f.ck is wrong with you people?

Why does anything have to be wrong with us?

Fact of the matter is that I do a fair amount of

listening
to a $80 Pioneer SX205 receiver.

Yea, you listen to it? What does it say?

Depends what I'm playing through it.

Arny Krueger

"Fella" wrote in message

Clyde Slick wrote:

Debating trade trick no 28. Purposefully misinterpret and
misrepresent waht I say, and then prove the

misinterpreted
misrepresentation is wrong.

I thought that was his trick numero uno. He tries it all

the
time.

After the butcher job you did on Pinkerton's post, Fella?

How long ago did they remove your self-awareness?

Margaret von B.

"Fella" wrote in message
.. .
Arny Krueger wrote:

Pace, rhythm and timing is what musicans do, and what
recording engineers sometimes modify. It's not a property of
amplifiers or CD players.

Given that low cost players can provide facsimile
reproduction of CDs,

You don't even have a clue as to what you are missing out on.

Wire is wire as Pinkerton would say it.

So now you are putting words into pinkertons mouth? If wire is wire and
some el-cheapo radioshack wire would do the *same* thing then why in the
hell did pinkerton go to all that trouble "home brew"ing all the exotic
teflon silver bla bla?

What the f.ck is wrong with you people?

That "people" part is open to debate in his case...

Fact of the matter is that I do a fair amount of listening
to a $80 Pioneer SX205 receiver.

Yea, you listen to it? What does it say?

Based on his history, my money is on "**** you!"

Cheers,

Margaret

Arny Krueger

"Margaret von B." wrote
in
message

Yea, you listen to it? What does it say?

Based on his history, my money is on "**** you!"

Obviously, Maggie is feeling the pressure, too.

Margaret von B.

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news
"Margaret von B." wrote
in
message

Yea, you listen to it? What does it say?

Based on his history, my money is on "**** you!"

Obviously, Maggie is feeling the pressure, too.

Quit whining, Arny!

Margaret

dave weil

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:47:17 +0000 (UTC), Stewart Pinkerton
wrote:

Nowadays, they mostly don't. Most modern R&D in amps and CD players is
biased towards cost reduction. That's why my 'Chinky cheapy' Pioneer
DV-575A will play any kind of silver disc while providing sound
quality identical to that of a SOTA 'audiophile brand' CD player

Care to provide the dbt details that supports your statement?
George M. Middius

Drunkie is snarling and loaded again.

Actually, the reason that many of us unsubscribed from RAO is that
it's 'regulars' are gullible idiots like Art Sackman, and pointless
no-life cripples like Hiddius Gorge.

So you admit I scared you off. I'm so proud.

paul packer

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:22:09 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

If you unsubscribed from RAO, Stewart, why are you
cross-posting from there?

Inability to notice the crosspost from rec.audio.tech
noted.

Well, here's a better question: if you unsubscribed from RAO why are
you still taking part in the kind of futile and endlessly repeating
debate that presumably caused you to unsubscribe from RAO in the first
place?