Rob

Default cooling fan for guitar amp

Hi
I am installing a small fan in my valve amp to try and cool down the tubes.
I've bought a Cooler Master Aero Fan 12V computer fan, but it only comes
with a connector for inside a computer, what do i need to do, or what kind
of adaptor do I need to run this fan from the mains?

thanks
Rob

Jerry G.

If you are using a 12 volt fan, you will require a 12 volt 500 ma
regulated power supply to run it. Some of these fans from the computer
supplies are either 12 volt, 15 volt, or 5 volt. You will have to check it
out, and use the right type of supply. This can get a bit cumbersome.

Go to any of the electronic parts distributor and get a 120 VAC fan, or if
you are in Europe you would probably need a 240 VAC fan, and wire it to the
mains input after the main power switch in the amp. This way, no extra
power supply will be required. If you want to use a low voltage fan, the
cost of the supply, the loss of time to wire it up and install it, will be
more than the value of having the right fan in the first place.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Rob" wrote in message
Hi
I am installing a small fan in my valve amp to try and cool down the tubes.
I've bought a Cooler Master Aero Fan 12V computer fan, but it only comes
with a connector for inside a computer, what do i need to do, or what kind
of adaptor do I need to run this fan from the mains?

thanks
Rob

Andy Dee

Rob wrote:
Hi
I am installing a small fan in my valve amp to try and cool down the tubes.
I've bought a Cooler Master Aero Fan 12V computer fan, but it only comes
with a connector for inside a computer, what do i need to do, or what kind
of adaptor do I need to run this fan from the mains?

thanks
Rob

You should have bought a mains fan...
In fact, buy two normal mains AC fans, wire them in series. They will
still provide useful cooling but be much quieter.

Ruud Broens

Couple of diodes from the heater supply, maybe a small cap,
connect up and you're ready!
Rudy
"Andy Dee" wrote in message
: Rob wrote:
: Hi
: I am installing a small fan in my valve amp to try and cool down the
tubes.
: I've bought a Cooler Master Aero Fan 12V computer fan, but it only comes
: with a connector for inside a computer, what do i need to do, or what
kind
: of adaptor do I need to run this fan from the mains?
:
: thanks
: Rob
:
:
: You should have bought a mains fan...
: In fact, buy two normal mains AC fans, wire them in series. They will
: still provide useful cooling but be much quieter.
: A
:

Ruud Broens

Hm, was assuming that's a case ventilator model, it isn't
a heatsink-with-fan, is it ?
12V fan's run fine from 6 to 7 V, even at 5 Volts, given a
'startin' nudge'
But if electronics isn't your thing, you're better of with
an old wall-wart with 6 to 9 V DC connected to the fan.

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message
: Couple of diodes from the heater supply, maybe a small cap,
: connect up and you're ready!
: Rudy
: "Andy Dee" wrote in message
: ...
: : Rob wrote:
: : Hi
: : I am installing a small fan in my valve amp to try and cool down the
: tubes.
: : I've bought a Cooler Master Aero Fan 12V computer fan, but it only
comes
: : with a connector for inside a computer, what do i need to do, or what
: kind
: : of adaptor do I need to run this fan from the mains?
: :
: : thanks
: : Rob
: :
: :
: : You should have bought a mains fan...
: : In fact, buy two normal mains AC fans, wire them in series. They will
: : still provide useful cooling but be much quieter.
: : A
: :
:
:

Phil Wilson

I used a computer fan like that for a while - somebody claimed that a DC
motor close to the amp would be quieter electrically than an AC motor.
Anyhow, I used a cell-phone charger that put out 12v (are they all 12v?) and
used that. I had the fan stuck to the underside of the vent blowing air out.
Whether it actually helped anything or not, who knows?
--
Phil Wilson
[MVP Windows Installer]
"Rob" wrote in message
Hi
I am installing a small fan in my valve amp to try and cool down the

tubes.
I've bought a Cooler Master Aero Fan 12V computer fan, but it only comes
with a connector for inside a computer, what do i need to do, or what kind
of adaptor do I need to run this fan from the mains?

thanks
Rob

gregs

In article , "Rob" wrote:
Hi
I am installing a small fan in my valve amp to try and cool down the tubes.
I've bought a Cooler Master Aero Fan 12V computer fan, but it only comes
with a connector for inside a computer, what do i need to do, or what kind
of adaptor do I need to run this fan from the mains?

Well the simplest solution is get a 12 volt 500 ma Wall Wart of any type and cut the leads, twist
them together, and tape them. You may have to measure which lead is plus. You will have an extra
thing to plug in.

greg

Laurence Payne

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 12:50:27 +0000 (UTC), "Rob"
wrote:

Hi
I am installing a small fan in my valve amp to try and cool down the tubes.
I've bought a Cooler Master Aero Fan 12V computer fan, but it only comes
with a connector for inside a computer, what do i need to do, or what kind
of adaptor do I need to run this fan from the mains?

What makes you feel they're too hot?

Phil Farano

I use Mouser ball bearing fans that are wired for 240/120 vac use.
I then use the 240 vac scheme to allow the fan to turn at 1/2 the speed
if wired for 120 vac.

All the air I need & zero noise.
Wire it through you amp supply switch or install
a separate 2-prong plug.

I use these in vintage AC30's directly under the mains tranny, after
I fabricate a new chassis mounting board.

Works great & prevents tranny meltdown (along with a proper cap job).

Phil Farano
Ampmedic

"Rob" wrote in message
Hi
I am installing a small fan in my valve amp to try and cool down the tubes.
I've bought a Cooler Master Aero Fan 12V computer fan, but it only comes
with a connector for inside a computer, what do i need to do, or what kind
of adaptor do I need to run this fan from the mains?

thanks
Rob

Ruud Broens

"dickydoo" wrote in message
: If you have an effects power supply in your amp for echo or flanger etc.
it
: will be 9v try and get a 9v fan.
---now, why on earth should he get a 9 V fan?
that 12V will run fine, I'd rather start adding diodes from
9V down till it'sa whisprin' quit steady breeze..
Rudy
: "Ruud Broens" wrote in message
: ...
: Hm, was assuming that's a case ventilator model, it isn't
: a heatsink-with-fan, is it ?
: 12V fan's run fine from 6 to 7 V, even at 5 Volts, given a
: 'startin' nudge'
: But if electronics isn't your thing, you're better of with
: an old wall-wart with 6 to 9 V DC connected to the fan.
:
: "Ruud Broens" wrote in message
: ...
: : Couple of diodes from the heater supply, maybe a small cap,
: : connect up and you're ready!
: : Rudy
: : "Andy Dee" wrote in message
: : ...
: : : Rob wrote:
: : : Hi
: : : I am installing a small fan in my valve amp to try and cool down
the
: : tubes.
: : : I've bought a Cooler Master Aero Fan 12V computer fan, but it only
: comes
: : : with a connector for inside a computer, what do i need to do, or
: what
: : kind
: : : of adaptor do I need to run this fan from the mains?
: : :
: : : thanks
: : : Rob
: : :
: : :
: : : You should have bought a mains fan...
: : : In fact, buy two normal mains AC fans, wire them in series. They
will
: : : still provide useful cooling but be much quieter.
: : : A
: : :
: :
: :
:
:
:
:

Ruud Broens

"dickydoo" wrote in message
: Fine.But maybe this person hasn't the skills to do this.

He, come on now, an aspiring guitar players' mindset should
include being eager to learn a good trick or two along the Way..
Major7,
Rudy
: "Ruud Broens" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "dickydoo" wrote in message
: ...
: : If you have an effects power supply in your amp for echo or flanger
etc.
: it
: : will be 9v try and get a 9v fan.
: ---now, why on earth should he get a 9 V fan?
: that 12V will run fine, I'd rather start adding diodes from
: 9V down till it'sa whisprin' quit steady breeze..
: Rudy
:

Ruud Broens

"dickydoo" wrote in message
: Yeah I guess so . I bet you dont need cooling fans in Holland.

Nah, we use windmills to feed the airco's - but seriously,
it's been getting steadily warmer the last 30 years in
large parts of Europe - witness the popularity of
open roof model cars; all but the smallest cars having
airco as standard
Cheers,
Rudy:
:

Patrick Turner

Ruud Broens wrote:

"dickydoo" wrote in message
: Yeah I guess so . I bet you dont need cooling fans in Holland.

Nah, we use windmills to feed the airco's - but seriously,
it's been getting steadily warmer the last 30 years in
large parts of Europe - witness the popularity of
open roof model cars; all but the smallest cars having
airco as standard
Cheers,
Rudy:
:

In many guitar amps, the tubes hang downward under the chassis which is
upside down
in many combo boxes.
This makes sure the chassis runs hot, and the tubes cooler, since air
rises.
In amp heads, or hi-fi amps, the chassis is right way up, and
there should be 12 x 10mm dia holes drilled around each output tube to
allow
an air flow up arond the tubes.
You need holes in the bottom cover of the chassis to allow air to
enert the sub chassis area, and flow past the gear, and out through the
holes drilled around the output tubes.

Ams like Quad II get quite warm on hot days we get here when the indoor
temperature can reach 35 degrees for those without aircons.
I like to mount such amps up on feet about 5/8" high, and drill lots of
holes in the bottom
plate, and around the tube sockets to allow an air flow.
This should cool the glass down a bit.
The anodes are within a vacuum, and will still get
hot with or without draft or forced air cooling.
Transmitter tubes sometimes have an anode which is external,
and specially made with a copper heat exchanger, and such tubes are
not much bigger than a KT88, but they can dissipate hundreds of watts
with a suitable blower,
which forces a lot of air through the anode heat exchanger fins.
500w of power output isn't to hard to arrange, but for continuous
500w, you'd need 750w for heat dissipation for class AB.

They are not much good with hifi amps, because the fans are noisy.

Mounting such tubes in tanks full of oil might provide the answer to
noise.
The audio use of such tubes does not involve bulky
RF coils which need to be close to the tubes, so the tube pack
can be a separate module unit with OPT and input driver amp
mounted conventionally,
but with an oil pump and
passive heat exchanger, perhaps like the radiator on the back of a
fridge.

Its all a lot messier than using a bunch of transistors, or mosfets,
and a large finned heatsink, or simply using more conventional tubes.

Patrick Turner.

..

Ruud Broens

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

[...]

Hehe, you should see what people build just to get rid of a 'lousy'
70 Watts from their microprocessor
Rudy:

Tomi Holger Engdahl

"Rob" writes:

Hi
I am installing a small fan in my valve amp to try and cool down the tubes.
I've bought a Cooler Master Aero Fan 12V computer fan, but it only comes
with a connector for inside a computer, what do i need to do, or what kind
of adaptor do I need to run this fan from the mains?

You need to buy a "wall wart" that converts the mains voltage
to 12V DC that si suitble for the fan. Wire the "wall wart"
output to the FAN connector or wires (black wire = minus/ground).
This will do it.

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/

tony.r

Hi guys
It gets hot in Australia also and I have researched a solution.
The old Fender amps had power plugs in the back of them and if you look at
old films like
"Woodstock the movie" you can see that they used these plugs to power big
freestanding fans.

Why use tiny little fans in hot weather or hot conditions when you can place
a big fan behind your gear. Keep your equipment and yourself cool.

tony.r
http://www.ncable.com.au/~tony.r/