Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Dan D

Default Sealing holes in doors

Hey all,
As per my previous post, I've got a set of Boston ProSeries 6.5's and
the woofers are going in the doors of my *rockin'* '94 Hyundai Excel
hatchback :-P . However, I took the panel off the other day and
noticed that there are a few rather large holes in the sheetmetal that
don't seem to really have any purpose... Most notably, there's a big
square one right where I was hoping to put my woofer! So I got
thinking: "Maybe i could just buy some 1/2" MDF, screw it to the door,
and screw the woofer to the wood!" (caulking the edges of course).
Does this sound like a sound plan? (pun intended...) If so, is 1/2"
too thin?
Now, what about the rest of the holes? Is it worth my while to plug
them with wood too? I intend to dynamat (well actually B-Quiet) the
whole door either way, since our korean friends probably didn't intend
for my little 1.5L car to be going 110km/h (even tho the speedometer
says 200!), and therefore put no deadening or soundproofing whatsoever
in the doors...

Thanks for any ideas/opinions,
Dan