Joseph Luner

Default 300W rms subwoofer on a Sony receiver

SUBWOOFER:
I have a JL Audio 12" (12W6) car subwoofer 300W RMS Dual voice coil 6 Ohms
(can be wired as 3 Ohms or 12 Ohms), and I want to use it for home, because
I sold the amp. as well as my car.

RECEIVER:
I have an old receiver Sony STR-GX700ES for home theather (very old), it
doesn't have the mono output, it only got the stereo output (8 Ohms 100W
+ 100W) or (4 Ohms 140W + 140 W)

QUESTION:
I am not very good at physics/maths... my question is: Is the Sony amp
powerful enough (say..@ 4 Ohms) to drive the subwoofer at 3 Ohms? (just
the sub, no other speakers) i am scary to try it coz I am afraid to
destroy the amp/sub.... so I am posting here to see what do you guys think.

Any comments are welcome... many thanks.

John

Alan Peterman

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 06:09:40 GMT, "Joseph Luner"
wrote:

SUBWOOFER:
I have a JL Audio 12" (12W6) car subwoofer 300W RMS Dual voice coil 6 Ohms
(can be wired as 3 Ohms or 12 Ohms), and I want to use it for home, because
I sold the amp. as well as my car.

RECEIVER:
I have an old receiver Sony STR-GX700ES for home theather (very old), it
doesn't have the mono output, it only got the stereo output (8 Ohms 100W
+ 100W) or (4 Ohms 140W + 140 W)

QUESTION:
I am not very good at physics/maths... my question is: Is the Sony amp
powerful enough (say..@ 4 Ohms) to drive the subwoofer at 3 Ohms? (just
the sub, no other speakers) i am scary to try it coz I am afraid to
destroy the amp/sub.... so I am posting here to see what do you guys think.

The 300 watt rating for the subwoofer is maximum power handling. Which is
usually somewhat exaggerated. Your amp puts out 140 watts per channel and will
be a quite good match for this speaker. I'd suggest running each channel of the
amp to each voice coil if the speaker has wiring that has this possibility, so
each channel of the amp would see a 6 ohm load, and you'd have the power of BOTH
channel available this way. Be sure to wire the speaker so both voice coils are
in phase - if you get one backwards, there will be little or no output and
you'll just be generating heat in the speaker voice coils.

And with something in the 200-260 watts available you ought to have LOTS of
output. In fact, if the amp is rated for continuous RMS power it'll probably be
MORE power than that speaker needs. Whether it'll be well matched to home use
or of particularly good quality is another issue entirely.

jriegle

Wire it so that each channel goes to one coil for a 6 ohm load per side.
Forget 3 or 12 Ohms. You can use only one channel that way anyway. 3 Ohms
may overload it and 12 Ohms would not utilize the power the receiver has to
offer.
John

"Joseph Luner" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
[...]