Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam adam is offline

Default Tascam FW-1082 Control Surface

I just got the new swee****er catalog and there are a couple new control
surfaces. The Tascam FW-1082 caught my eye beacuse of it's price $599 and
features. It says that it "works as a HUI-compatible control surface and
MIDI interface for Pro Tools.. This is half the price of items like the
M-Audio ProjectMix I/O or the Digi 003 (the new improved version of the Digi
002). Is there a catch with this Tascam control surface, or is it a full
functional I/O like the two other control surfaces i mentioned?
Thanks,
-Adam

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 23, 5:47 pm, "Adam" wrote:
The Tascam FW-1082 caught my eye beacuse of it's price $599 and
features. It says that it "works as a HUI-compatible control surface and
MIDI interface for Pro Tools.. This is half the price of items like the
M-Audio ProjectMix I/O or the Digi 003 (the new improved version of the Digi
002). Is there a catch with this Tascam control surface

If you want to use it with ProTools, the catch is that you need a
Digidesign interface in order for ProTools to run (and you also need
ProTools). The M-Audio Project Mix will run the M-Powered ProTools
version and the Digidesign 003 comes with a copy of ProTools LE.

Before you get out your credit card, look at the total cost to get the
system you want. You can use the TASCAM as a mixer control surface
with a low cost version of ProTools with the M-Box, but the M-Box will
be your only audio I/O (it might recognize the TASCAM's MIDI I/O - I'm
not sure about that). If you want ProTools with multi-channel I/O, the
Project Mix is probably the cheapest way to go. If you'd be happy with
Cubase LE that comes with the TASCAM, that's probably cheaper.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] tom@thoward.net is offline

On Mar 24, 2:16 am, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
Either you pay for a full version of Pro Tools, or you're better
off choosing a gadget that serves as a ProTools dongle.

I'm not sure it's an 'either/or' situation, even the full versions of
ProTools will still require some DigiDesign or M-Audio hardware
(depending on the version) to run.