Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

Default ADAT LightPipe Transfer problem

Set up:

3 ADATs (2 XT20's & 1 Black face) connected via light pipe to a
Frontier Design Dakota & Wave Center PCI interfaces installed in a PC
running Win XP. The PC setup works perfectly with an Alesis HD-24 but
I can't get the interfaces to properly recognize the ADATs resulting
in really bad clocking and awful audio.

What am I overlooking?

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://www.liondogmusic.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Rick Ruskin wrote:
Set up:

3 ADATs (2 XT20's & 1 Black face) connected via light pipe to a
Frontier Design Dakota & Wave Center PCI interfaces installed in a PC
running Win XP. The PC setup works perfectly with an Alesis HD-24 but
I can't get the interfaces to properly recognize the ADATs resulting
in really bad clocking and awful audio.

What am I overlooking?

Can you use just one ADAT successfully, and then it goes wrong when you
lock them all up together?

Are you supplying word clock to the ADATs? Who is the word clock master?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 3/16/2012 2:39 PM, Rick Ruskin wrote:

To be honest, I can't remember if I tried a single machine or not
yesterday. No word clock just the optical in as per the HD24 lashup.

You can set up an ADAT to get its clock from an incoming
data stream, but that means that you need to connect a
lightpipe between an output on the Frontier card and the
input of the "master" ADAT. If you have ADAT sync cables
(the 9-pin cable) connected between them, their own clocks
should sync up.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

On Friday, 16 March 2012 20:01:20 UTC+1, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/16/2012 2:39 PM, Rick Ruskin wrote:

To be honest, I can't remember if I tried a single machine or not
yesterday. No word clock just the optical in as per the HD24 lashup.

You can set up an ADAT to get its clock from an incoming
data stream, but that means that you need to connect a
lightpipe between an output on the Frontier card and the
input of the "master" ADAT. If you have ADAT sync cables
(the 9-pin cable) connected between them, their own clocks
should sync up.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff

Also, I think, he can set all ADATs to external clock and daisy chain by optical. They should all run of frontier clock. I may be wrong.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Rick Ruskin wrote:

Are you supplying word clock to the ADATs? Who is the word clock master?

To be honest, I can't remember if I tried a single machine or not
yesterday. No word clock just the optical in as per the HD24 lashup.

Okay, what's happening is that each of the Adats has its own clock, and they
aren't synched with one another... and the computer interface can only synch
to one of them at a time. They all need to be locked together.

One way to do this is with word clock, another way might be by making all
the adats slave to the clock in the computer. I can do that with TDIF but
I never tried with lightpipe.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Rick Ruskin wrote:
Set up:

3 ADATs (2 XT20's& 1 Black face) connected via light pipe to a
Frontier Design Dakota& Wave Center PCI interfaces installed in a PC
running Win XP. The PC setup works perfectly with an Alesis HD-24 but
I can't get the interfaces to properly recognize the ADATs resulting
in really bad clocking and awful audio.

What am I overlooking?

The master/slave clock relationships are not well established. You
may need to teach the Frontier stuff to take clock from
the ADAT or vice versa. You may also need to boot or connect
the slave device after the master is up and running.

I have to go through a little ritual with an ADA8000 and
a Terratec EWS/88 card now and again. Not always. there's a
slide switch on the ADA8000 for slave/master/44.1/48 and
sometimes the ADA8000 gets confused.

The Fostex VF16 doesn't complain, it just freezes up

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://www.liondogmusic.com

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

субота, 17. март 2012. 05..46.08 UTC+1, Les Cargill је написао/ла:

The Fostex VF16 doesn't complain, it just freezes up

Think I remember having similar issue years ago. You should plug optical before you switch it on, or something like that. I think it all dissapeared when I upgraded firmware to the last release. It was a struggle to find external SCASI ZIP drive, though. I tend to keep it master anyway.