Posted to rec.audio.pro
PenaL PenaL is offline

Default Digital I/O connectors to PC...?

I have an ordinary laptop-pc 4G ram / 500 G hard-disc with several USB
channels and win 7, but not digital connectors at all. I'd like to
record and playback at least one stereo-pair wav 44.1 /16 bit digital
audio signal for editing them with some digital-audio software.
What kind of tools or converter I should buy to build an S/P-DIF or
AES-EBU digital I/O connectors to match them straigh to USB 2.0 channel?

There's several audio-card for sale which includes a lot of different
other actions, but on this moment I just only need some kind of
"converter", AES/EBU or S/P dif to USB.

-Pentti
Posted to rec.audio.pro

PenaL wrote:
I have an ordinary laptop-pc 4G ram / 500 G hard-disc with several USB
channels and win 7, but not digital connectors at all. I'd like to
record and playback at least one stereo-pair wav 44.1 /16 bit digital
audio signal for editing them with some digital-audio software.
What kind of tools or converter I should buy to build an S/P-DIF or
AES-EBU digital I/O connectors to match them straigh to USB 2.0 channel?

There's several audio-card for sale which includes a lot of different
other actions, but on this moment I just only need some kind of
"converter", AES/EBU or S/P dif to USB.

Something like this? :-

http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/mini..._shopping_feed

If the link breaks, I got there by googling for "sp-dif usb convert" and
choosing the first of the shopping links.

Otherwise, I use a Lexicon Omega, which I've had for a while, but does
more than you want.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 3/14/2012 10:15 AM, PenaL wrote:

There's several audio-card for sale which includes a lot of
different other actions, but on this moment I just only need
some kind of "converter", AES/EBU or S/P dif to USB.

One thing that you'll learn about this stuff pretty quickly
is that the low cost devices are all designed and built for
the masses, and the masses buy mic inputs. There are few
that are line input only, and few if any that are digital
input only. Take comfort in the fact that it's cheap to make
a functional mic preamp so you aren't paying very much for
the parts that you aren't presently interested in using.

Unfortunately the digital I/O tends to be in the "second
tier" products, as an added feature. I wouldn't be surprised
if there isn't an inexpensive S/PDIF-only I/O box out there,
but I don't know what it is. A quick Google search turns up
a few that are USB to digital output, usually optical, to
connect to a hi-fi receiver.

There used to be an inexpensive Edirol S/PDIF-USB interface
but it's no longer in their catalog. Maybe an eBay search
will turn something up.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/14/2012 10:33 AM, John Williamson wrote:

Something like this? :-
http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/mini..._shopping_feed

From what I can tell that works the opposite way than what
he wants. It's designed to take audio from the computer via
USB and send it out to a D/A converter. It doesn't appear to
work in the other direction.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/mini..._shopping_feed

If the link breaks, I got there by googling for "sp-dif usb convert" and
choosing the first of the shopping links.

tinyurl.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Tobiah wrote:

http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/mini...onverter-dac-d
igital-signal-008415-011.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shcomp&u t
m_campaign=google_shopping_feed

If the link breaks, I got there by googling for "sp-dif usb convert" and
choosing the first of the shopping links.

tinyurl.com

+1

Turns it into this: http://tinyurl.com/7a9ejnx

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

The trouble is, most of what you guys are talking about goes in the
wrong direction - it takes computer USB signal and converts it to S/
PDIF. As I understand it, the original poster wants to go the other
way -- S/PDIF to USB.

The MOTU UltraLite series will do that, though it has a lot more than
he said he needed and is priced accordingly (US$550 for the Mk3). The
M-Audio Fast Track Pro does the same thing (with S/PDIF; fewer analog
in/outs than the UltraLite) and sells for $US$200 or so. Both units
are bidirectional -- analog or S/PDIF ins and outs, all connecting to
the computer via USB2.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

On Mar 14, 3:15*pm, PenaL wrote:
I have an ordinary laptop-pc 4G ram / 500 G hard-disc with several USB
channels and win 7, but not digital connectors at all. I'd like to
record and playback at least one stereo-pair wav 44.1 /16 bit digital
audio signal for editing them with some digital-audio software.
What kind of tools or converter I should buy to build an S/P-DIF or
AES-EBU digital I/O *connectors to match them straigh to USB 2.0 channel?

There's several audio-card for sale which includes a lot of different
other actions, but on this moment I just only need some kind of
"converter", AES/EBU or S/P dif to USB.

-Pentti

Behringer BCA2000,

pro: works great
cheap
last year new drivers appeared (32 bit only)
SPdif on optical and RCA
ADAT
MIDI interface

con: I had to return one which could not be recognized by windows,
right out of the box
discontinued
no 64bit drivers
is not MIDI controler
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

In message
,
PStamler writes
The MOTU UltraLite series will do that, though it has a lot more than
he said he needed and is priced accordingly (US$550 for the Mk3). The
M-Audio Fast Track Pro does the same thing (with S/PDIF; fewer analog
in/outs than the UltraLite) and sells for $US$200 or so. Both units are
bidirectional -- analog or S/PDIF ins and outs, all connecting to the
computer via USB2.

The Fast Track Pro is usb 1.1, not usb 2. This might make it unsuitable
for some uses (the OP said "at least 44.1 16bit stereo").

I have an old Tascam US-144 that has "Digital i/o". I've never used that
function, but assume it would work well enough. Maybe their modern
replacements also have the feature?
--
Bill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/15/2012 4:55 AM, Bill wrote:

The Fast Track Pro is usb 1.1, not usb 2. This might make it
unsuitable for some uses (the OP said "at least 44.1 16bit
stereo").

Sure, if you want to record 8 tracks at 96 kHz sample rate
(if it even does 96 kHz). USB 1.1 works fine with six
streams at 48 kHz and will do stereo in or out (not all of
them will do both simultaneously) at 96 kHz.

I have an old Tascam US-144 that has "Digital i/o". I've
never used that function, but assume it would work well
enough. Maybe their modern replacements also have the feature?

Yes, the current US-144 MK2 also has S/PDIF I/O. But the
original poster was ranting about everything with S/PDIF
having mic preamps that he wasn't going to use. But that's
what they make so if you want one, you pretty much have to
take the other, or pay a lot more money and get other things
you probably don't want.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 3/15/2012 4:16 AM, Luxey wrote:

Behringer BCA2000,

Not even close to what the original poster is looking for.

There are a couple of models in the little UCA series that
have S/PDIF output, but not input.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

On Mar 15, 12:27*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/15/2012 4:16 AM, Luxey wrote:

Behringer BCA2000,

Not even close to what the original poster is looking for.

There are a couple of models in the little UCA series that
have S/PDIF output, but not input.

of audio." - John Watkinson

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com- useful and
interesting audio stuff

BCA2000 is exactly what he needs. He can plug whatever analog or SPdif
into BCA and transfer it via USB, in realtime, to PC. That's what he's
looking for.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

On Mar 15, 12:27*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/15/2012 4:16 AM, Luxey wrote:

Behringer BCA2000,

Not even close to what the original poster is looking for.

There are a couple of models in the little UCA series that
have S/PDIF output, but not input.

of audio." - John Watkinson

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com- useful and
interesting audio stuff

Again my message dissapeared. Again I'll repeat.
BCA2000. That's what he need. to quote:

" I'd like to record and playback at least one stereo-pair wav 44.1 /
16 bit digital
audio signal for editing them with some digital-audio software.
What kind of tools or converter I should buy to build an S/P-DIF or
AES-EBU digital I/O connectors to match them straigh to USB 2.0
channel? "

on BCA ther's SPdif input, both RCA and optical, connected to PC via
USB2. As for the features he does not need, they come as bonus for
free, compared to other manufacturers. Lack of 64bit drivers is a
drag, though.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

On Mar 15, 12:27*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/15/2012 4:16 AM, Luxey wrote:

Behringer BCA2000,

Not even close to what the original poster is looking for.

There are a couple of models in the little UCA series that
have S/PDIF output, but not input.

of audio." - John Watkinson

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com- useful and
interesting audio stuff

This becomes crazy. My previous 2 attempts to send an answer failed.

Ok, to qote OP: "I'd like to
record and playback at least one stereo-pair wav 44.1 /16 bit digital
audio signal for editing them with some digital-audio software.
What kind of tools or converter I should buy to build an S/P-DIF or
AES-EBU digital I/O connectors to match them straigh to USB 2.0
channel? "

Exactly, of mentioned, what BCA2000 can not do, and cheaper than
competition?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

And now all 3 my messages are there. In 2-3-1 order. Oh well,...

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/15/2012 10:03 AM, Luxey wrote:

on BCA ther's SPdif input, both RCA and optical, connected to PC via
USB2. As for the features he does not need, they come as bonus for
free, compared to other manufacturers. Lack of 64bit drivers is a
drag, though.

Yes, I know that. But it has so much more that he DOESN'T
need that I maintain, still, that it's "not even close" to
what he's looking for. There are lots of interfaces that
aren't also MIDI controllers which have S/PDIF I/O AND
something else. They come closer to his desire, but still
have mic inputs.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Darn! Here's the device I was looking for:

(Roland) Edirol UA-1EX
http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...?ProductId=743

The rub is that its S/PDIF connections are optical, not
coax, so a converter might be needed. Also, it has analog
line inputs and outputs, but they're cheap, and the analog
output might be useful for listening to playbacks with
better quality sound than the computer's built-in sound card.

Check eBay now and then. I'm sure these things turn up. It
was only about $30 new as I recall.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

Yes, I know that. But it has so much more that he DOESN'T
need that I maintain, still, that it's "not even close" to
what he's looking for. There are lots of interfaces that
aren't also MIDI controllers which have S/PDIF I/O AND
something else. They come closer to his desire, but still
have mic inputs.

That's how mass production is. You make something that can do a million
things, and more people will buy it so you can make it cheaper than something
that does just one thing.

You can get THIS million features or THAT million features, but if you want
a simple and stripped-down device that only does a single thing and does it
well, you will pay specialty prices for it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

On Thursday, 15 March 2012 21:00:04 UTC+1, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

Yes, I know that...

That's how mass production is....

Big time Pro studios and money loaded individuals can afford to spend.
Bedroom studio perspective, it's quite different. BCA I use almost exclusively for ADAT via USB transfers to laptop. It's located somewhere under the shelf, all covered with sticky dust. However, more than once it became handy as MIDI input, 2'nd headphones and second monitor out.

Further, for some uses paying more gives nothing. Behringer and other cheap multiporpose gear, they'll serve digital transfers exactly the same as expensive dedicated gear, provided you get a working piece.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/16/2012 4:54 AM, Luxey wrote:

Bedroom studio perspective, it's quite different. BCA I
use almost exclusively for ADAT via USB transfers to
laptop.

Fine, but that isn't what the original poster wants to do.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the BCA2000. It's
a really handy gadget.

BUT IT WON'T DO THE JOB THAT NEEDS TO BE DONE!!!!!

What part of S/PDIF or AES/EBU don't you undertand?

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Luxey wrote:

Further, for some uses paying more gives nothing. Behringer and other cheap=
multiporpose gear, they'll serve digital transfers exactly the same as exp=
ensive dedicated gear, provided you get a working piece.

Maybe.

I have a friend right now who is pulling out his hair trying to archive a
bunch of older DAT tapes, because he's getting slightly different values
each time he copies. I think there's some resampling going on in his
cheap hardware, he thinks it's going on in his cheap software. In neither
case can the vendor's tech support help.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Luxey" wrote in message
On Mar 15, 12:27 pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/15/2012 4:16 AM, Luxey wrote:

Behringer BCA2000,

Not even close to what the original poster is looking for.

There are a couple of models in the little UCA series that
have S/PDIF output, but not input.

of audio." - John Watkinson

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com- useful and
interesting audio stuff

Again my message dissapeared. Again I'll repeat.
BCA2000.

Seems like the BCA 2000 has been discontinued by Behringer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/16/2012 9:13 AM, Arny Krueger wrote:

Seems like the BCA 2000 has been discontinued by Behringer.

It's a fact of life. The Edirol UCA-1ex which probably would
have done the job has also been discontinued (though he may
need an optical-coax S/PDIF converter, most of which have
probably also been discontinued).

Not enough people want to buy this kind of stuff any more to
warrant production. I've got a guy screaming and crying on
the PreSonus forum that he wants them to "fix" the driver
for thie USB interface he has so that it only supports the
audio I/O and not the DSP mixer because he says his flea
powered computer can't run it. He had a TASCAM US-800
previously that worked for him but it died and couldn't be
repaired, and was discontinued. So he went to buy the next
model up, which was also discontinued.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

What part of S/PDIF or AES/EBU don't you undertand?

Couple of messages above You understood BCA has SPdif capability, but forgot in the meantime. So, it does the job.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

In message , Scott Dorsey
writes
I have a friend right now who is pulling out his hair trying to archive
a bunch of older DAT tapes, because he's getting slightly different
values each time he copies. I think there's some resampling going on
in his cheap hardware, he thinks it's going on in his cheap software.
In neither
case can the vendor's tech support help.

I'm doing exactly that type of transfer at the moment, and can
sympathise.

I have at least 400 DAT tapes, some of them backup copies, all of which
I numbered and documented into a database many years ago. I now cannot
find the database or its backup anywhere, so I have had to start again.
I am doing this because a producer I worked with back then has embarked
on a series of tribute radio broadcasts featuring artists who have
passed on or nearly so. I'm putting the material, divided up where
necessary into CD-length sections, onto a big HD, plus backup, plus the
CD's for the producer.

It has not been easy. I am now on my 4th DAT machine. On my old
Technics, the transport suddenly died. The portable HHB's seem to have
flakey psu's and I'm now on an old Tascam. I've been running into a
Vista desktop with E-Mu 1820 hardware and the portables were into a Win7
laptop through an old Edirol UA-3FX with the FX firmly switched off. For
some reason I have to boot the desktop twice before the 1820 fires up. I
hate Vista, but the XP machine is otherwise engaged.

Scott's post has reminded me that when I started, I successfully did an
invert and sum comparison with the Technics, but since then the pressure
and stress has outweighed any further checks.

I'm, of course, just copying via analogue, so this is very off-topic.

I have the service manual for the Technics. I probably put it in a safe
place together with the missing old HD's containing the DAT database.
--
Bill

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/16/2012 11:35 AM, Luxey wrote:

Couple of messages above You understood BCA has SPdif capability, but forgot in the meantime. So, it does the job.

I have a short memory. But what I was always thinking was
that, yes, it's a possibility. If someone was to give one to
him, he could use it. But I wouldn't recommend buying it
because it has so many functions that he won't use.

Why won't you let this go? Do you have a BCA-2000 that you
want to sell to him? It would be a sad state of affairs if
this is the ONLY device at a rational price that will pass
S/PDIF to a computer via USB.

The point that I've been trying to make here is that, as far
as I know, and probably as far as you know, there is no
device that performs only that function. There are some that
have analog and S/PDIF input and I've tried to steer the
conversation away from a device that's really a MIDI
controller with an audio interface tacked on for convenience.

A clever device, but not what he needs, except for that one
fuction.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

On Friday, 16 March 2012 19:57:56 UTC+1, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/16/2012 11:35 AM, Luxey wrote:

Couple of messages above You understood BCA has SPdif capability, but forgot in the meantime. So, it does the job.

I have a short memory. ...

Hey, no hard feelings. Not that I won't let go, but this is discussion group afterall, we can discuss as much as we like. All my posts were affirmative in regard to your first one. You said there sre no dedicated devices, which I find to be true. Therefore, let's see what we have, even if it's more than needed.
Peace.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"PenaL" wrote in message
I have an ordinary laptop-pc 4G ram / 500 G hard-disc with several USB
channels and win 7, but not digital connectors at all. I'd like to record
and playback at least one stereo-pair wav 44.1 /16 bit digital audio
signal for editing them with some digital-audio software.
What kind of tools or converter I should buy to build an S/P-DIF or
AES-EBU digital I/O connectors to match them straigh to USB 2.0 channel?

There's several audio-card for sale which includes a lot of different
other actions, but on this moment I just only need some kind of
"converter", AES/EBU or S/P dif to USB.

-Pentti

Tascam 144 mK11 appears to do what you require at no great expense.

http://tascam.com/product/us-144mkii/

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W[_3_] Phil W[_3_] is offline

Gareth Magennis:
"PenaL":
I have an ordinary laptop-pc 4G ram / 500 G hard-disc with several USB
channels and win 7, but not digital connectors at all. I'd like to record
and playback at least one stereo-pair wav 44.1 /16 bit digital audio
signal for editing them with some digital-audio software.
What kind of tools or converter I should buy to build an S/P-DIF or
AES-EBU digital I/O connectors to match them straigh to USB 2.0 channel?

There's several audio-card for sale which includes a lot of different
other actions, but on this moment I just only need some kind of
"converter", AES/EBU or S/P dif to USB.

-Pentti

Tascam 144 mK11 appears to do what you require at no great expense.

http://tascam.com/product/us-144mkii/

IF you want to bother with Tascamīs driver policy...
Remember, they did NOT release Win7 drivers for the first generation USB
interfaces (US-122 etc.), but suggested to just buy a newer model. Not so
cool for stuff, thatīs only about 3 years old and the hardware could keep
working several more years.
And the probability is high, that they will act that way again. :-\

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

In message , Phil W
writes
IF you want to bother with Tascamīs driver policy...
Remember, they did NOT release Win7 drivers for the first generation
USB interfaces (US-122 etc.), but suggested to just buy a newer model.
Not so cool for stuff, thatīs only about 3 years old and the hardware
could keep working several more years.
And the probability is high, that they will act that way again. :-\

That was indeed the case, and when I contacted Tascam about a driver
installation problem on a later usb interface, I just received an
automated reply with no follow up.

However, the drivers were actually written by a German company. I
contacted them, and received very helpful emails, which enabled me to
solve the problem.

I think one has to consider Tascam as an organisation with some ability
to design the user interface for other people's hardware and software.
They then aim for the mass market. If it produces cheap usable gear, I
suppose I shouldn't complain too much.
--
Bill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"Phil W" wrote in message
Gareth Magennis:
"PenaL":
[...]

I have a Tascam 122L running on Windows 7, never had any problems with it.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/17/2012 9:26 PM, Phil W wrote:

IF you want to bother with Tascamīs driver policy...
Remember, they did NOT release Win7 drivers for the first
generation USB interfaces (US-122 etc.), but suggested to
just buy a newer model. Not so cool for stuff, thatīs only
about 3 years old and the hardware could keep working
several more years.

I've said this many times over - that a piece of hardware
will long outlast the software that's needed to support it.
But on the other hand, if you hadn't upgraded your computer
to Win7 you could still be using the US-122 and it would
still be as good and as useful as it ever was.

The problem comes when you HAVE to upgrade something, like
when the computer goes up in smoke, you buy a new one, and
it comes with a newer (and unsupported) operating system
installed. You're reluctant to try to downgrade it to your
old OS.

Of you find it necessary (as in cost-effective) to use some
software or hardware that isn't supported by your old
computer or operating system. I've been debating upgrading
(it would be a new computer) to Win7 for more than a year
now. I don't need it, but I have a copy of Pro Tools 10 and
a bunch of interfaces that it will work with, and I'l like
to be able to run it. I don't need it. I can do all the
recording I need to do with what I have now, but when I
review an audio interface I'd like to be able to say that it
works with Pro Tools 10 (or has some quirks).

But I'm not currently making any money writing reviews and I
haven't had a paying instruction manual or application note
to write in quite a while. Maybe I'll have a breakthrough
and some paying work will come along in the future, but
having Pro Tools 10 isn't going to make that happen. So I'm
being "professional" (as we say in another thread) and not
making the jump yet since I know it'll cost me money that
won't be paid back soon.

Good thing most old computers last forever.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

IF you want to bother with Tascamīs driver policy...
Remember, they did NOT release Win7 drivers for the first generation USB
interfaces (US-122 etc.), but suggested to just buy a newer model. Not so
cool for stuff, thatīs only about 3 years old and the hardware could keep
working several more years.
And the probability is high, that they will act that way again. :-\

I have a Tascam 122L running on Windows 7, never had any problems with it.

Gareth.

Ah, it seems my 122L is supported up to Windows 7, but the 122 only up to
Vista.

http://tascam.com/product/us-122l/downloads/

http://tascam.com/product/us-122/downloads/

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gareth Magennis wrote:
Ah, it seems my 122L is supported up to Windows 7, but the 122 only up
to Vista.

I'm running at least one set of Vista drivers on this Windows 7 machine.
The only program I need to run in Vista compatibility mode is the 3G
modem software, the modem driver works perfectly in native mode.
Sometimes, Windows 7 will insist on a verified driver, if it doesn't,
the Vista driver will work in the vast majority of cases. All the
interfaces I have that work in Vista also work in 7 with the same
driver. The reason makers don't always officially support Windows 7 is
the cost of driver certification for 7.

Also:-
"Sometimes you can install the XP driver for a device in Windows 7 and
if you have the driver extracted you should be able to install the
driver via Device Manager. If that fails or if the driver comes in and
EXE-format then running it in XP compatibility mode might work. Be aware
that there might be stability problems when using XP drivers in Windows
7." (Borrowed from a Microsoft discussion group.)

It's worth a try, if you've already got the hardware. If there's no
Windows 7 driver, you will probably need to run the installation as
administrator and in the right compatibility mode.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

In message , John Williamson
writes
"Sometimes you can install the XP driver for a device in Windows 7 and
if you have the driver extracted you should be able to install the
driver via Device Manager. If that fails or if the driver comes in and
EXE-format then running it in XP compatibility mode might work. Be
aware that there might be stability problems when using XP drivers in
Windows 7." (Borrowed from a Microsoft discussion group.)

It's worth a try, if you've already got the hardware. If there's no
Windows 7 driver, you will probably need to run the installation as
administrator and in the right compatibility mode.

I ran a couple of old 20-bit Echo Darla pci cards with their XP drivers
in Windows 7 until I scrapped the machines recently. As far as I
remember, I just installed the drivers without invoking any
compatibility mode and they were fine. I seem to remember that the
drivers didn't work in Vista, but did in Win7. Someone in another group
tipped me off about this.

I actually regret selling the Darla's on ebay as I only got pennies for
them and they were good, solid cards. I just hope they went to a good
home.
--
Bill