Posted to rec.audio.pro
muzician21 muzician21 is offline

Default Anybody like the look of the new Google Groups?

I always view GG's in a topic summary format and each threat in a tree
layout. Gives a straightforward way to view the flow of the
discussion, see who replied to what. I took a loot at the new layout -
it seems less user friendly to me.

In this "New" GG's I wonder if they'll be implementing any new
measures to keep out spam.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"muzician21" wrote in message
I always view GG's in a topic summary format and each threat in a tree
layout. Gives a straightforward way to view the flow of the
discussion, see who replied to what. I took a loot at the new layout -
it seems less user friendly to me.

In this "New" GG's I wonder if they'll be implementing any new
measures to keep out spam.

I read this newsgroup in Outlook Express. I like the topic summary view.
Also, I experience practically no spam at all. The news server I use
(free), Albasani.net, filters out spam. I rarely see any. Newsnet has been
around far longer than Google, so it is 'old school'. A lot of forums are
only available using a browser (vs. a newsreader software). But, in my
experience, Google raises the spam ratio to heights experienced nowhere
else.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

muzician21 wrote:
I always view GG's in a topic summary format and each threat in a tree
layout. Gives a straightforward way to view the flow of the
discussion, see who replied to what. I took a loot at the new layout -
it seems less user friendly to me.

What did you expect? Ever since they bought Altavista's Usenet service
they have been progressively making the user interface worse, slower, and
obscuring the whole notion that they are just providing a front end to
a global distributed service.

In this "New" GG's I wonder if they'll be implementing any new
measures to keep out spam.

Consider that they are the number one source of Usenet spam, I would be
surprised. Everyone else in the world runs cleanfeed and nobody else
sees most of the trash that Google spews out except Google users.
Google doesn't care.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

muzician21 wrote:
I always view GG's in a topic summary format and each threat in a tree
layout. Gives a straightforward way to view the flow of the
discussion, see who replied to what. I took a loot at the new layout -
it seems less user friendly to me.

In this "New" GG's I wonder if they'll be implementing any new
measures to keep out spam.

I don't know about that, but I just read this group on Google Groups while
at work, and was floored. There was a button called "Profile" so I thought I
would see what my "profile" was. The *******s have published every Google
search I have ever done, every message I have written in Newsgroups, no
matter what the topic. This is outrageous. I may frequent several groups
which have nothing to do with each other, and I may not want what I talked
about in one to be read by all of my friends in other groups. It's kind of
like forwarding your remarks to one person to someone else without my
permission.

Has anyone else seen this?

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I don't know about that, but I just read this group on Google Groups while
at work, and was floored. There was a button called "Profile" so I thought I
would see what my "profile" was. The *******s have published every Google
search I have ever done, every message I have written in Newsgroups, no
matter what the topic. This is outrageous. I may frequent several groups
which have nothing to do with each other, and I may not want what I talked
about in one to be read by all of my friends in other groups. It's kind of
like forwarding your remarks to one person to someone else without my
permission.

It's the whole point of Google Groups.

What happened was... Usenet ran and ran for a decade or so, and then in
the early nineties when the Web became popular, Altavista started an online
Usenet archive to make those Usenet messages indexable and available.

At this time, a lot of people pitched in to help Altavista with old postings.
Lots of people sent their personally stored messages. Henry Spencer at
utzoo had backed his usenet spool up to tape for several years and he sent
those in. The denizens of talk.bizarre basically collected their own personal
archives together and sent them in. It was great... you could look up stuff
going back to the mid-eighties in many cases.

Then google bought the Altavista archives, and they kept the same basic
system (although unfortunately they screwed the indices up so you can no
longer do keyword searches on messages from before 2000). The whole point
though, was archives of postings.

Then Google added a nifty gadget that allowed people to post, which very
quickly turned into a spam problem, then they added this silly thing that
made it look like a proprietary system they ran, rather than an interface
into a huge distributed system.

But the whole point, the original purpose of Google Groups was to archive
usenet messages, to index them, and to make them searchable. It's been
that way since about 1992. If you don't like this, don't post to Usenet,
but from my perspective it's one of the things that has made Usenet so
useful and interesting. If only they'd fix the damn indices, clean up
their interface, and deal with their spam problem.

Has anyone else seen this?

I helped write the first version, back when it was running on someone's
personal desktop at decwrl.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

[...]

OK, well thanks for the info, but how would you like every letter you ever
wrote to anyone published to the world for their wandering eyes to see? Can
you opt out or edit it? I looked briefly in the Dashboard and didn't see an
option.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
. com...
OK, well thanks for the info, but how would you like every letter you ever
wrote to anyone published to the world for their wandering eyes to see?
Can you opt out or edit it? I looked briefly in the Dashboard and didn't
see an option.

You do understand that email is for private messages and GG/Usenet is for
posts to the whole world right?
IF you don't want other people to see what you post, DON'T use Usenet inthe
first place.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Trevor" wrote in message

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
. com...
OK, well thanks for the info, but how would you like every letter you
ever wrote to anyone published to the world for their wandering eyes to
see? Can you opt out or edit it? I looked briefly in the Dashboard and
didn't see an option.

You do understand that email is for private messages and GG/Usenet is for
posts to the whole world right?
IF you don't want other people to see what you post, DON'T use Usenet
inthe first place.

Trevor.

My expectation is that messages I post in a given group are available to all
who read that group, not everyone in the world.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
My expectation is that messages I post in a given group are available to
all who read that group, not everyone in the world.

You'd be wrong then as anyone can search on Google Groups, and have been
able to do so for many years.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Cyberserf[_2_] Cyberserf[_2_] is offline

On Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:27:27 PM UTC-4, muzician21 wrote:
I always view GG's in a topic summary format and each threat in a tree
layout. Gives a straightforward way to view the flow of the
discussion, see who replied to what. I took a loot at the new layout -
it seems less user friendly to me.

In this "New" GG's I wonder if they'll be implementing any new
measures to keep out spam.

My ISP used to carry USenet feed, but stopped doing so a number of years ago, so now I'm stuck with Google (I think)...I hate thye new interface...it was truly a case "Hey, there's nothing broken, lets fix it".

-CS

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 3/14/2012 9:42 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I don't know about that, but I just read this group on Google Groups while
at work, and was floored. There was a button called "Profile" so I thought I
would see what my "profile" was. The *******s have published every Google
search I have ever done, every message I have written in Newsgroups, no
matter what the topic. This is outrageous.

If you poke around you can find "Delete Web History." That
will clear it up, You can also tell it to Suspend Web
History which will keep it from adding new entries to your
cleared history.

I keep the rec.audio.pro Google version bookmarked to use in
emergencies, like if Eternal September (which I use for my
news feed) goes down or goes belly up. I'll also go there to
look back in a thread since I only keep a couple of days
worth of history on my own machine.

I don't care for the look of the new version, or maybe I
just haven't found the settings to make it look like the old
version, but it'll do for backup.

I don't like most new versions of things that I've been
using for a while, but not much I can do about it but crawl
back into the cave.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Trevor" wrote in message

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
My expectation is that messages I post in a given group are available to
all who read that group, not everyone in the world.

You'd be wrong then as anyone can search on Google Groups, and have been
able to do so for many years.

Well, then I guess I am like the politicians who suddenly find themselves
confronted with items they said 10 years ago. I think usenet encourages us
to get a little more "scrappy" with correspondence than we would ever be in
person, and brings out the argumentative and the inclination to say what you
really think rather than the PC version you would use otherwise. But I have
never used a pseudonym or fake account to obscure who I am or hide out. I
can see St. Peter Googling me up when I arrive at the Pearly Gates. So if I
am the only one who objects to that, then too bad for me.

Am I?

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

OK, well thanks for the info, but how would you like every letter you ever
wrote to anyone published to the world for their wandering eyes to see? Can
you opt out or edit it? I looked briefly in the Dashboard and didn't see an
option.

Usenet isn't like sending letters. Usenet is a public forum. The whole
_point_ of it is for everybody to see what you wrote. The more, the better.

If you're not comfortable with this, perhaps Usenet is not for you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Cyberserf wrote:

My ISP used to carry USenet feed, but stopped doing so a number of years ago, so now I'm stuck with Google (I think)...I hate thye new interface...it was truly a case "Hey, there's nothing broken, lets fix it".

Nope, there are a bunch of free or mostly-free NNTP services out there.
Eternal September is the one that comes to mind. Far, far nicer than trying
to read Usenet through Google.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

OK, well thanks for the info, but how would you like every letter you ever
wrote to anyone published to the world for their wandering eyes to see? Can
you opt out or edit it? I looked briefly in the Dashboard and didn't see an
option.

Usenet isn't like sending letters. Usenet is a public forum. The whole
_point_ of it is for everybody to see what you wrote. The more, the better.

If you're not comfortable with this, perhaps Usenet is not for you.
--scott

It's a little like the village bulletin board.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri

Posted to rec.audio.pro
UnsteadyKen UnsteadyKen is offline

Cyberserf wrote...

My ISP used to carry USenet feed, but stopped doing so a number of years ago,
so now I'm stuck with Google (I think).

There are any amount of public, free and pay usenet servers out the
http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet..._News_Servers/
http://freenews.maxbaud.net/

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] geickmei@tampabay.rr.com is offline

On Mar 15, 7:51*am, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/14/2012 9:42 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I don't know about that, but I just read this group on Google Groups while
at work, and was floored. There was a button called "Profile" so I thought I
would see what my "profile" was. The *******s have published every Google
search I have ever done, every message I have written in Newsgroups, no
matter what the topic. This is outrageous.

If you poke around you can find "Delete Web History." That
will clear it up, You can also tell it to Suspend Web
History which will keep it from adding new entries to your
cleared history.

That would be very helpful. I will look for it.

Gary Eickmeier
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
On Mar 15, 7:51=A0am, Mike Rivers wrote:

If you poke around you can find "Delete Web History." That
will clear it up, You can also tell it to Suspend Web
History which will keep it from adding new entries to your
cleared history.

That would be very helpful. I will look for it.

The problem is that this clears your history on only one of several thousand
Usenet servers. There are plenty of other archives out there.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Capik[_3_] Ron Capik[_3_] is offline

On 3/15/2012 10:27 AM, hank alrich wrote:
Scott wrote:

Gary wrote:

OK, well thanks for the info, but how would you like every letter you ever
wrote to anyone published to the world for their wandering eyes to see? Can
you opt out or edit it? I looked briefly in the Dashboard and didn't see an
option.

Usenet isn't like sending letters. Usenet is a public forum. The whole
_point_ of it is for everybody to see what you wrote. The more, the better.

If you're not comfortable with this, perhaps Usenet is not for you.
--scott

It's a little like the village bulletin board.

It's also like a saloon or pub at times along
with the drunken belligerent trolls. It's usually
a good idea to stay out of the bar fights.
==

Later...
Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Cyberserf wrote:

My ISP used to carry USenet feed, but stopped doing so a number of years
ago, so now I'm stuck with Google (I think)...I hate thye new
interface...it was truly a case "Hey, there's nothing broken, lets fix
it".

Nope, there are a bunch of free or mostly-free NNTP services out there.
Eternal September is the one that comes to mind. Far, far nicer than
trying
to read Usenet through Google.

News.albasani.net is another free usenet service.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

On Thu 2012-Mar-15 11:18, Ron Capik writes:
big snip

Usenet isn't like sending letters. Usenet is a public forum. The whole
_point_ of it is for everybody to see what you wrote. The more, the better.
If you're not comfortable with this, perhaps Usenet is not for you.

It's a little like the village bulletin board.

It's also like a saloon or pub at times along
with the drunken belligerent trolls. It's usually
a good idea to stay out of the bar fights.

Yep, or like a discussion group you chose to attend at your local library, or sponsored by an organization. YOu don't
walk into a discussion group of the audio engineering
society and discuss bible studies, or a bible study group to discuss audio production, but yet when we get these folks in usenet we hear a lot of ****ing and moaning about how
they're being persecuted because we don't want to turn an
audio production forum into a political debate or bible
study group.

But, as for the new google groups, I have nothing good to
say about google groups, their archive services are sure
handy for those with browsers, but google is a poor useent
citizen. Get a real newsreader and choose from eternal
september or albisani or other good usenet services and
forget google groups. The spam you see will be much
reduced, and you'll enjoy your usenet participation much
more.

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
.com...
My expectation is that messages I post in a given group are available to
all who read that group, not everyone in the world.

You'd be wrong then as anyone can search on Google Groups, and have been
able to do so for many years.

Well, then I guess I am like the politicians who suddenly find themselves
confronted with items they said 10 years ago.

As they should be!

I think usenet encourages us to get a little more "scrappy" with
correspondence than we would ever be in person, and brings out the
argumentative and the inclination to say what you really think rather than
the PC version you would use otherwise.

So you want to be able to rewrite history?

But I have never used a pseudonym or fake account to obscure who I am or
hide out.

Your choice. I don't get why you complain about lack of anonymity then?

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:27:27 -0700, muzician21 wrote
(in article
):

I always view GG's in a topic summary format and each threat in a tree
layout.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

I'm not the first to say this, but:

STOP USING GOOGLE GROUPS.

USE A REAL NEWSREADER LIKE FORTE AGENT!

http://www.forteinc.com/

That, plus Giganews:

http://www.giganews.com

is the best way to go...by far.

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:28:18 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Cyberserf wrote:

My ISP used to carry USenet feed, but stopped doing so a number of years ago, so now I'm stuck with Google (I think)...I hate thye new interface...it was truly a case "Hey, there's nothing broken, lets fix it".

Nope, there are a bunch of free or mostly-free NNTP services out there.
Eternal September is the one that comes to mind. Far, far nicer than trying
to read Usenet through Google.

Thanks Scott...this'll hopefully be one of my last posts from Google.

Cheers, CS