Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Newbie

Hello -

They sent me here from rec.audio.high-end because I was trying to write
about (gasp) recording and no one there is interested in recording. So here
I am. Is this a moderated group or not? I HATE those rejection slips. I
think the group should decide what to write, not moderators. Of course, we
don't want to descend to the level of RAO, but I hope this group is not like
that.

But what do you guys talk about, mostly? The title is contradictory. How can
it be "recreational" if it is "pro"?

I am into audio theory, and I believe recording completes "the big picture"
on the whole process, and helps examine Floyd Toole's Circle of Confusion,
in which we attempt to make playback equipment that sounds good with most
available recordings, but the recording engineers make recordings that sound
good with most existing playback equipment. I call it flying without a
theory, or Big Picture of how the process works.

In any event, trying to do my own recording lately has helped me learn a lot
more about playback. I am currently trying surround sound, and have found a
way to make discrete DTS encoded recordings on CD that are playable on most
home theater receivers and systems that have Dolby Digital and DTS decoding.
I want the natural ambience, of course, and also to get audience aplause and
other live noises into the surround channels rather than being folded back
on the frontal sound in such an unnatural way.

Recording and playback in surround sound - talking high end audio now, not
casual playback of the Top Ten on your i-anything - is a whole new ballgame,
and calls for some discussion.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
They sent me here from rec.audio.high-end because I was trying to write
about (gasp) recording and no one there is interested in recording. So here
I am. Is this a moderated group or not? I HATE those rejection slips. I
think the group should decide what to write, not moderators. Of course, we
don't want to descend to the level of RAO, but I hope this group is not like
that.

It's not moderated. It's been around for 20-some years. Many of the people
here have been there since the beginning and will flame you if you say something
inappropriate.

But what do you guys talk about, mostly? The title is contradictory. How can
it be "recreational" if it is "pro"?

This is discussed in the FAQ.

Recording and playback in surround sound - talking high end audio now, not
casual playback of the Top Ten on your i-anything - is a whole new ballgame,
and calls for some discussion.

Folks here have been doing it for a long time, check the archives on google!
Welcome!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

On Wed 2012-Mar-14 08:33, Scott Dorsey writes:
They sent me here from rec.audio.high-end because I was trying to write
about (gasp) recording and no one there is interested in recording. So here
I am. Is this a moderated group or not?

No, but post your files on a web site, and not as attaches
to the group please.

It's not moderated. It's been around for 20-some years. Many of
the people here have been there since the beginning and will flame
you if you say something inappropriate.

Many of us who've been around here for awhile are glad to
help oput the newcomers.

But what do you guys talk about, mostly? The title is contradictory. How can
it be "recreational" if it is "pro"?

This is discussed in the FAQ.

Right, and I'll post a good description of what can be
found in said faq around the end of this month. I started
doing that quarterly so that newbies can find pointers to
it. oUr newbie from rec.audio.high-end or whatever will
find it in the archives on google, look for faq using this
group.

Many of us have little tolerance for the sort of antics that occur regularly in rec.audio.opinion. IF you psot there
dont' cross post here! We actually prefer discourse with
humans here.

Anyway, for our newbie, thanks for asking btw, here's
pointers to it.
http://recordist.com/rap-faq/current

DOwnload a zipped text copy of the faqat

http://www.filegate.net/epub/ep-ascii/rapfaq.zip

The version on filegate.net is the same as can be found at
recordist.com, which as of this writing was 0.9.2.

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Richard Webb wrote:
[...]

My thanks to you both. I have downloaded all 51 pages of the FAQ - and
PRINTED them! Looks like a great mini course in audio.

Gary Eickmeier

Would an EQ help? Newbie please help! akbal Pro Audio 27 May 20th 08 09:37 AM
NEWBIE needs some help!!! Raditz Car Audio 5 January 1st 05 11:24 PM
Help a Newbie! cnewbie Car Audio 1 September 13th 04 10:02 AM
Newbie needs HELP Allan Bullington Pro Audio 1 June 11th 04 01:49 AM
Newbie & ICE Dongo! Car Audio 1 September 23rd 03 04:28 PM