Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Makes you think

Yesterday on the radio there was a recording - not at all bad quality,
just a bit scratchy - of a man who was born during the 1700s.With a
little more luck, we could quite possibly have had a recording of an
eye-witness description of the Napoleonic wars.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] vdubreeze@gmail.com is offline

Funny you should mention this. Just today I was listening to the GeekSpeak podcast (KUSP public radio in Santa Cruz) and one of the stories was about this story in Science mag about the restoring of the earliest known recording made for sale, as part of a Thomas Edison talking doll cylinder, where the cylinder was warped and corroded yet the recording was finally uncovered by creating a microscopic 3D map of it and then turning that into the audio. Cool story.

ttp://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/07/scientists-play-worlds-oldest-co.html?ref=hp

Even more fun to ponder was what host Lyle Troxell put forth, which is, along these lines, what audio could possibly be hidden in old wheel thrown pottery?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
Yesterday on the radio there was a recording - not at all bad quality,
just a bit scratchy - of a man who was born during the 1700s.With a
little more luck, we could quite possibly have had a recording of an
eye-witness description of the Napoleonic wars.

There ARE eye witness descriptions of the Napoleonic wars... in print.
Somehow I fail to see a lack of audio recordings of them as any great loss.
With earlier audio recording we may have had actual recordings of Bach,
Motzart etc, or the more talented musicians of the day. THAT would be of
more interest to many I'm sure. However the quality of later recordings from
early last century makes even those of curiousity value only.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

wrote in message
Even more fun to ponder was what host Lyle Troxell put forth, which is,
along these lines, what audio could possibly be hidden in old wheel thrown
pottery?

Attempts have been made many times to recover exactly that, and some signal
has been found, but buried so far down in the noise as to be totally
useless.
(as most people with any technical knowledge would expect)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Trevor wrote:

wrote in message
Even more fun to ponder was what host Lyle Troxell put forth, which is,
along these lines, what audio could possibly be hidden in old wheel thrown
pottery?

Attempts have been made many times to recover exactly that, and some signal
has been found, but buried so far down in the noise as to be totally
useless.
(as most people with any technical knowledge would expect)

The pottery wasn't properly dithered.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"hank alrich" wrote in message

Trevor wrote:

wrote in message
Even more fun to ponder was what host Lyle Troxell put forth, which is,
along these lines, what audio could possibly be hidden in old wheel
thrown
pottery?

Attempts have been made many times to recover exactly that, and some
signal
has been found, but buried so far down in the noise as to be totally
useless.
(as most people with any technical knowledge would expect)

The pottery wasn't properly dithered.

Lost my coffee on that one

Poly

who makes these mike Vacuum Tubes 1 November 5th 06 07:22 PM
This makes me sad Animix Pro Audio 19 April 10th 05 11:44 PM
Who Makes Best Low RMS Amps ? [email protected] Car Audio 13 January 3rd 05 08:37 PM
Who makes one of these? Deke Car Audio 5 December 26th 04 02:05 AM
Who makes an amp that does this? MZ Car Audio 9 March 4th 04 04:48 AM