Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default intermittent playback on Otari MX5050 BQ II

I've narrowed down the problem, so I'm looking for a more-or-less specific
answer, not speculation.

Track 4 is down in level and has a rough, scratchy sound. I cleaned the
contacts on the boards and the head block, first with alcohol, then ProGold.
That did no good.

When the play-head cables are swapped, the problem remains with the track 4
cable (yellow), indicating that it's not a board problem.

If I remove the three screws holding down the head block and gently push
back on the block's PC board, track 4 comes in loud 'n clear. This suggests
a problem with the head-block connector, but gently tightening the pins that
connect to track 4 doesn't do any good.

As I intend to use the machine solely for playback, replacing the head-block
connector wouldn't be a major tsimmes, as I could leave the erase and record
cables dangling.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks in advance.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:
If I remove the three screws holding down the head block and gently push
back on the block's PC board, track 4 comes in loud 'n clear. This suggests
a problem with the head-block connector, but gently tightening the pins that
connect to track 4 doesn't do any good.

As I intend to use the machine solely for playback, replacing the head-block
connector wouldn't be a major tsimmes, as I could leave the erase and record
cables dangling.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Cold solder joint? Cracked solder joint? Pin come loose?

The problem could be either on the block or the socket.

Otari Mx5050 B-3 Users Frankie739 Pro Audio 0 February 13th 05 04:09 AM
Otari MX5050 8SD:NAB or IEC? Ryan Stalter Pro Audio 4 December 30th 04 04:26 AM
Otari MX5050 MKIII 8 Geoley Pro Audio 8 December 7th 04 03:39 PM
Otari MX5050 MKIII-8 Help Richard W. Rinn Pro Audio 31 July 16th 04 09:50 PM
Otari MX5050 MKIII-8 Help Richard W. Rinn Pro Audio 0 July 13th 04 10:03 AM