Posted to rec.audio.pro
gtbuba[_2_] gtbuba[_2_] is offline

Default Teac 3440 won't play or rewind?

Hi guys I bought a Teac 3440 for $80 today. It looks to be in pretty
good shape looks wise. I knew it needed work.
At any rate the Capstan motor is running. It won,t close the pinch
roller when pushing play and rewind and fast forward does not work.
There is only 1 belt and it works. The reels are direct drive. The old
owner checked the fuses inside and they all tested ok. Any thought? GT
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 17:04:02 -0800 (PST), gtbuba
wrote:

Hi guys I bought a Teac 3440 for $80 today. It looks to be in pretty
good shape looks wise. I knew it needed work.
At any rate the Capstan motor is running. It won,t close the pinch
roller when pushing play and rewind and fast forward does not work.
There is only 1 belt and it works. The reels are direct drive. The old
owner checked the fuses inside and they all tested ok. Any thought? GT

Common problems with machines that have sat idle for too long. The
lubricant for the pinch roller may have solidified. In that case, it
all needs to be cleaned out and replaced. Other possiblities, bad
solenoids, logic circuit gone bad, power supply problem(s).
Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://www.liondogmusic.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gtbuba[_2_] gtbuba[_2_] is offline

wrote:
Hi guys I bought a Teac 3440 for $80 today. It looks to be in pretty
good shape looks wise. I knew it needed work.
At any rate the Capstan motor is running. It won,t close the pinch
roller when pushing play and rewind and fast forward does not work.
There is only 1 belt and it works. The reels are direct drive. The old
owner checked the fuses inside and they all tested ok. Any thought? *GT

Common problems with machines that have sat idle for too long. *The
lubricant for the pinch roller may have solidified. *In that case, it
all needs to be cleaned out and replaced. *Other possiblities, bad
solenoids, logic circuit gone bad, power supply problem(s).
Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WAhttp://www.liondogmusic.com

It looks like the solenoids are soldered on the the board. no socket.
As far as a power supply or logic circut I guess I might think about
getting a service manual. GT.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

gtbuba wrote:

It looks like the solenoids are soldered on the the board. no socket.
As far as a power supply or logic circut I guess I might think about
getting a service manual. GT.

The belt is bad and so is the pinch roller, but those aren't your problem
right now. They will turn out to be once you get it running, though.

TEAC will have a service manual and it won't be terribly expensive.

I believe this might be one of the machines that requires a remote control
to be plugged in. Since the remote control stop button is a NC switch,
if you don't use the remote you have to plug a shorting plug in. If this
is the case, then it will play as long as the play button is held down.

I also believe that this might be one of the machines that is subject
to solder issues due to wave soldering defects. If that is the case,
an afternoon spent remelting each solder joint in the machine with a
little flux will pay you manyfold in improved reliability.

Some of these machines have issues with the omron relays whose contacts
corrode. A long-term fix is replacement but a reasonable short-term fix
is to drill a hole in the case and squirt deoxit in.
--Scott

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gtbuba[_2_] gtbuba[_2_] is offline

On Feb 26, 9:56*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
gtbuba wrote:

[...]

Good suggestions. Thanks. The old owner ran the machine without a
remote. I will look into it needing a plug. I think I will spend some
time and re soldering the machine Then take it from there. GT

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

On Sun 2012-Feb-26 21:22, Rick Ruskin writes:
Hi guys I bought a Teac 3440 for $80 today. It looks to be in pretty
good shape looks wise. I knew it needed work.
At any rate the Capstan motor is running. It won,t close the pinch
roller when pushing play and rewind and fast forward does not work.
There is only 1 belt and it works. The reels are direct drive. The old

owner checked the fuses inside and they all tested ok. Any thought? GT

Common problems with machines that have sat idle for too long. The
lubricant for the pinch roller may have solidified. In that case,
it all needs to be cleaned out and replaced. Other possiblities,
bad solenoids, logic circuit gone bad, power supply problem(s).

I was thinking the solenoids. Those machines seem
susceptible to that one iirc. I've owned the 3340 and the
Tascam 34, both same basic design iirc. i had to do the
solenoid in my 34 twice over the years iirc. I cared for
mine and used it quite a bit. IN its last days I was
striping a track with mtc for an Alesis mmt-8 sequencer,
doing vocals and maybe acoustic guitar on the other three
tracks.
Had 4 channels of dbx nr decode/encode in half a rack space
along with it.

Regards,
Richard

FS: Teac A-3440 polymod Pro Audio 4 May 8th 05 06:48 PM
FS: Teac A-3440 polymod Tech 0 May 7th 05 04:39 PM
Would the DX-4D work with the TEAC 3440 ? Daniel Pro Audio 10 March 20th 05 07:52 AM
Service for Teac A-3440 Kent Kingery Pro Audio 0 July 13th 04 01:52 PM
Service for Teac A-3440 Kent Kingery Pro Audio 0 July 13th 04 01:52 PM