Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bob DeYoung

Default 4 channel amp recommendation needed

I am in the market for a new 4 channel ampliifer with the following
requirements:

- 35-50 clean watts per channel (4 channels needed to drive 2 pairs of
speakers)

- Built in high pass crossovers (to filter out low frequencies going to
door speakers)

- If possible, has a way to drive my powered bazooka 8" sub (using RCA
levels does not cut it; needs speaker level)

- Under $200 $USD if at all possible.

My system installed in a '96 Ford Explorer XLT consists of:

Nakamichi CD head unit (just one pair of RCA outs; 2 volt)
4 each Boston Acoustics 5x7/6x8 speakers (2 in each door)

I had a Rockford 4600x amp (4 channel) but it appears to be fried. I
had my single set of RCA levels from the Nak HU running back to near
the amp, and each channel was run into it's own RCA y-splitter, and
then that split signal was fed the rear and front RCA inputs on the
amp. I had my sub being powered off of the amp's rear channel speaker
levels and it sounded quite good that way...plenty of volume for sure.

I don't need a top of the line amp or tons of power....a good, clean
low-mid powered amp like the 4600x was is fine for my application.

Thanks.