Posted to rec.audio.tech
Palinurus

Default TOSLINK Question

I'm looking for a reasonably performing, inexpensive TOSLINK or S/PDIF
to analog interface. A lot of gear includes this internally, apparently
at small cost, but outboard units all seem amazingly expensive. I'm not
adverse to doing some soldering, but do not have access to a lot of test
gear for adjustment or setup. Is there anything out there?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:38:23 GMT, Palinurus
wrote:

I'm looking for a reasonably performing, inexpensive TOSLINK or S/PDIF
to analog interface. A lot of gear includes this internally, apparently
at small cost, but outboard units all seem amazingly expensive. I'm not
adverse to doing some soldering, but do not have access to a lot of test
gear for adjustment or setup. Is there anything out there?

What's 'inexpensive?' What's 'reasonably performing?'

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Palinurus

wrote:

I'm looking for a reasonably performing, inexpensive TOSLINK or S/PDIF
to analog interface. A lot of gear includes this internally, apparently
at small cost, but outboard units all seem amazingly expensive. I'm not
adverse to doing some soldering, but do not have access to a lot of test
gear for adjustment or setup. Is there anything out there?

What's 'inexpensive?' What's 'reasonably performing?'

Kal

-
Inexpensive, say $150, reasonably performing, say 90dB S/N

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt

In article ,
Palinurus wrote:

to analog interface. A lot of gear includes this internally, apparently
at small cost, but outboard units all seem amazingly expensive. I'm not
adverse to doing some soldering, but do not have access to a lot of test
gear for adjustment or setup. Is there anything out there?

What's 'inexpensive?' What's 'reasonably performing?'

Inexpensive, say $150, reasonably performing, say 90dB S/N

Check with Cirrus Logic. They sell evaluation boards for many of
their chips. As one example, the CDB4351 includes their CS4351 DAC
chip and a CS8416 digital receiver (has both coax and optical inputs).
You'd need to provide a suitable DC power supply (several voltages are
required, you'd need some LM317s or similar regulators) and a cabinet
of some sort.

Other chip-makers may have similar eval boards available.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech
BOB URZ

Palinurus wrote:

I'm looking for a reasonably performing, inexpensive TOSLINK or S/PDIF
to analog interface. A lot of gear includes this internally, apparently
at small cost, but outboard units all seem amazingly expensive. I'm not
adverse to doing some soldering, but do not have access to a lot of test
gear for adjustment or setup. Is there anything out there?

What's your application?
There are some pretty cheap AV receivers out there that have them built in.

Also, i believe m-audio makes some that hook to a PC that have toslink in.

Bob

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:28:36 -0600, BOB URZ
wrote:
What's your application?
There are some pretty cheap AV receivers out there that have them built in.

Also, i believe m-audio makes some that hook to a PC that have toslink in.

In addition, there are used audiophile DACs like the MSB Link, the
AudioAlchemy DACs and the Theta LinkDAC. Lots of others.

Kal
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Palinurus

Palinurus wrote:
I'm looking for a reasonably performing, inexpensive TOSLINK or
S/PDIF to analog interface. A lot of gear includes this internally,
apparently at small cost, but outboard units all seem amazingly
expensive. I'm not adverse to doing some soldering, but do not have
access to a lot of test gear for adjustment or setup. Is there anything
out there?

-
Never mind. Found this:

http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/...o/diy_dac.html

Good enough.

Insanity is the inability to either tolerate or create ambiguity.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Palinurus" wrote in message
. com

I'm looking for a reasonably performing, inexpensive
TOSLINK or S/PDIF to analog interface.

The inexpensive part is a slam dunk, but the performance is where you find
it.

For example, Creative Labs sells a number of USB interfaces with Toslink
input and output ports that run under $50 in most stores. IME their older
"USB MP3" product is a better product than the newer "USB 24 bit", at least
on the analog side.

There's also a number of generic USB Toslink interfaces that one finds at
places like Parts Express. Some are under $30.

Try googling with search strings like "USB Toslink price" and thousands of
things come up including everything I mention in this post.

Some of these devices resample, and some don't.

You can test their performance yourself by looping them and running the
freebie Audio Rightmark program.

A lot of gear
includes this internally, apparently at small cost, but
outboard units all seem amazingly expensive.

Huh? Even the M-Audio's "Audiophile USB" probably has a street price near
the top of your range. Given their rep, its probably first rate.