Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Burned Audio CD-Rs won't play in DVD Player

Since I bought a new computer this summer, I've noticed that the CD-Rs
that I burn will no longer play on my living room DVD player, which is
my principle CD player. The burner that came with the new machine is a
Samsung SP0802N DVD-ROM/CD Burner. Note that it only plays DVDs, but
will NOT burn them. It only burns CDs. I noticed that when I burn CD-Rs
on this new burner, they will play completely normal on all of the
boomboxes and portable CD players in my house, but when I try to play
them on any of my DVD players, the playback is choppy and barely
listenable. I have observed that the noise becomes louder as the CD
progresses and reaches its peak with the last track on the disc. I have
also noticed that with an increase in burn speed, the intensity of the
playback noise also increases. Can anyone offer a solution, or at least
an explanation to the problem?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mike S.

In article .com,
wrote:
Since I bought a new computer this summer, I've noticed that the CD-Rs
that I burn will no longer play on my living room DVD player, which is
my principle CD player. The burner that came with the new machine is a
Samsung SP0802N DVD-ROM/CD Burner. Note that it only plays DVDs, but
will NOT burn them. It only burns CDs. I noticed that when I burn CD-Rs
on this new burner, they will play completely normal on all of the
boomboxes and portable CD players in my house, but when I try to play
them on any of my DVD players, the playback is choppy and barely
listenable. I have observed that the noise becomes louder as the CD
progresses and reaches its peak with the last track on the disc. I have
also noticed that with an increase in burn speed, the intensity of the
playback noise also increases. Can anyone offer a solution, or at least
an explanation to the problem?

1. Burn at a slower speed.
2. Try different, high-quality CD-R media.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
tai fu

maybe they have the sony rootkit (r) copy protection so they prevent burned
cd from playing

--
TAI FU

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Harry Lavo

"Mike S." wrote in message

In article .com,
wrote:
[...]

The above is good advice, and about the only thing you can do short of what
I am about to suggest. CD burners differ in how deep and well they burn the
pits, and you may have one that is on the light side of spec, or even out of
spec. And the better CD players are ofen not the best at CD-R's and CD-RW's
(some won't play them at all).

You may want to talk to the computer manufacturer and see if they would
agree to swap out the DVD/CD-R burner. Even if not, such burners are not
terribly expenseive these days and if you scrutinize the ads for Best Buy,
Circuit City, or CompUSA you can probably pick up one for $40-50 dollars
which will also burn DVD's. They are a piece of cake to install, and
generally come with instructions if you buy them in a retail box (as opposed
to OEM).

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Doug Kanter

"Mike S." wrote in message

In article .com,
wrote:
[...]

Agreed. Experiment with different media. I get burned CDs from 3 people. Two
of them use Sony & Verbatim blanks, and the results are mixed. My son uses
store brand blanks from Staples, and there are never problems. I've given a
few blanks to the other two people, and it solves their problem, although
they continue using the name brand blanks when they give CDs to other
people. (Illogical, I know, but....oh well).

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ben Bradley

On 13 Feb 2006 10:29:23 -0800, wrote:

Since I bought a new computer this summer, I've noticed that the CD-Rs
that I burn will no longer play on my living room DVD player, which is
my principle CD player. The burner that came with the new machine is a
Samsung SP0802N DVD-ROM/CD Burner. Note that it only plays DVDs, but
will NOT burn them. It only burns CDs. I noticed that when I burn CD-Rs
on this new burner, they will play completely normal on all of the
boomboxes and portable CD players in my house, but when I try to play
them on any of my DVD players, the playback is choppy and barely
listenable. I have observed that the noise becomes louder as the CD
progresses and reaches its peak with the last track on the disc. I have
also noticed that with an increase in burn speed, the intensity of the
playback noise also increases. Can anyone offer a solution, or at least
an explanation to the problem?

CDR's don't have as much reflectivity (contrast between pits and
blank spaces) as pressed CD's, and don't meet the original CD specs,
so anything that's only made to the original specs may have problems
with CDR's. One would think that DVD players, being of modern
manufacture, would play CDR's, but apparently they're made to be sold
for under $50 rather than being fully compatible with all modern
discs. It's ironic that many pre-CDR-era CD players often play CDR's
with no problem that the latest DVD players don't.
Use 74-minute CDR's, and try several different brand names. You
likely won't find 74-minute CDR's in most retail outlets, but you can
get them online at tapewarehouse.com and other 'specialty' online
stores.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley

"Ben Bradley" wrote in message
Use 74-minute CDR's, and try several different brand names. You
likely won't find 74-minute CDR's in most retail outlets, but you can
get them online at tapewarehouse.com and other 'specialty' online
stores.

I've never had a problem with 80 minute CD-R's burned at 4x in my old
Samsung CD-RW drive. Even an old HP 2x CD-RW drive I used to have didn't
have a problem with 80 minute media, even though it could only burn them as
74 minute CD-R's since it was such an old drive.

Again, try burning at the slowest speed your drive will support. I've found
that newer DVD burners only go down to 8x, which may, or may not, be slow
enough for some combinations of media and drives. This is why I left my
older Samsung CD-RW drive in my system when I bought a DVD burner.

Jeff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt

In article ,
Ben Bradley wrote:

CDR's don't have as much reflectivity (contrast between pits and
blank spaces) as pressed CD's, and don't meet the original CD specs,
so anything that's only made to the original specs may have problems
with CDR's. One would think that DVD players, being of modern
manufacture, would play CDR's, but apparently they're made to be sold
for under $50 rather than being fully compatible with all modern
discs. It's ironic that many pre-CDR-era CD players often play CDR's
with no problem that the latest DVD players don't.

There's another complication with DVD players, I understand. The
laser used to read DVDs uses a different (shorter) wavelength than the
laser in a standard CD player, as it's intended to read the smaller
(and I believe shallower) pits in a DVD's reflective layer.

The photosensitive dyes used in CD-Rs don't have good reflectivity at
the shorter wavelength used by a DVD player. As a result, the signal
level detected by the photodiode can be extremely low, and the discs
don't play reliably. Many first-generation DVD players simply could
not play CD-R discs at all.

Some DVD players actually have a "dual head" mechanism, with two
separate laser diodes and photodiode pickups (one set for DVD, one set
for CD). These may work better with CD-R discs.

Single-laser DVD players may actually work better with CD-RW than they
do with CD-R. CD-RW discs are not based on a photosensitive dye -
they use a phase-change metal alloy - and this alloy seems to behave
pretty well at the DVD laser wavelength.

Use 74-minute CDR's, and try several different brand names. You
likely won't find 74-minute CDR's in most retail outlets, but you can
get them online at tapewarehouse.com and other 'specialty' online
stores.

Good suggestions. 80-minute blanks push right up against the edges of
the original Red Book specifications for pit/land size and track
spacing, and I believe that they are inherently harder for a CD player
mechanism to track than a true 74-minute blank.

The specialty-online stores sometimes sell 74-minute blanks which are
specifically intended for low-speed burning (in real-time consumer
audio CD recorders, or for mastering purposes). These may have a
thicker dye layer which requires more laser exposure to burn (hence
the need for low-speed burning) and a higher reflective contrast than
modern thin-dye high-speed blanks.

Also, experiment with different CD-R dye types. You may find that
phthalocyanine (the pale or gold-ish dye) works better in a given DVD
player than cyanine (blue dye), or vice versa.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:26:07 -0500, Jeff Findley wrote:

"Ben Bradley" wrote in message
.. .
Use 74-minute CDR's, and try several different brand names. You
likely won't find 74-minute CDR's in most retail outlets, but you can
get them online at tapewarehouse.com and other 'specialty' online
stores.

I've never had a problem with 80 minute CD-R's burned at 4x in my old
Samsung CD-RW drive. Even an old HP 2x CD-RW drive I used to have didn't
have a problem with 80 minute media, even though it could only burn them as
74 minute CD-R's since it was such an old drive.

Again, try burning at the slowest speed your drive will support. I've found
that newer DVD burners only go down to 8x, which may, or may not, be slow
enough for some combinations of media and drives. This is why I left my
older Samsung CD-RW drive in my system when I bought a DVD burner.

Better yet, get a dvd player that is newer than the invention of CDRs.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
Better yet, get a dvd player that is newer than the invention of CDRs.

That would be *all* of them.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:01:18 +1100, Mr.T MrT@home wrote:

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
Better yet, get a dvd player that is newer than the invention of CDRs.

That would be *all* of them.

Only the last few generations were engineered with CDRs in mind. The first
few generations did't play CDRs worth a ****.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

Better yet, get a dvd player that is newer than the
invention of CDRs.

That would be *all* of them.

Only the last few generations were engineered with CDRs
in mind. The first few generations did't play CDRs worth
a ****.

Worse than that - the first generation DVD players and drives were
*guaranteed* to not recognize CDRs, as I recall.

I would place my aging Pioneer DV-525 as a second or third generation
machine. It does play CD-Rs and DVD-Rs quite well, with a few exceptions.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff@work

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
Better yet, get a dvd player that is newer than the invention of CDRs.

That would be *all* of them.

Only the last few generations were engineered with CDRs in mind. The
first
few generations did't play CDRs worth a ****.

No. Only the first generation(s) were NOT engineered with CD-Rs in mind.
Subtle difference. And they didn't play CD-Rs ****tily - just not at all.
Some subsequent ones may have been ****ty though.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
Better yet, get a dvd player that is newer than the invention of CDRs.

That would be *all* of them.

Only the last few generations were engineered with CDRs in mind. The

first
few generations did't play CDRs worth a ****.

They were *all* made after the invention of CDR as I stated.
Some did, and some did not play CDR well (or at all) from the beginning, and
that is still the case.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

well, even before i posted, i had the common sense to burn at my
drive's lowest speed, which is 2X, and it still would not play on any
of my dvd players. i really believe it has to do with the feact that i
am burning the CDs on a DVD-ROM. i know it sounds crazy, but its the
only relationship i see. i have an old HP external 4X burner, and the
CDs i burn with that play fine on my dvd players. i just really hate
having to wait 20 minutes to burn a cd. i paid good money for a 48x
dvd-rom/cd burner, and i think i deserve 48x.