Boom

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 10:49:46 -0600, Joe Sensor
wrote:

I've been watching this and you you seem more like a fizzle, honestly.

I'm more of a frizzle. Maybe a shizzle, or even a fra-shizzle, but
definitely NOT a fizzle!

Wish I knew what you were talking about.

Boom wrote:

That's just my whole point...it's never as good as the original. I
can't think of one song that any band rearranged and made it as good
as the original.

Are you f*ing kidding?

No, but I didn't make myself clear. I was referring to acts
rearranging their own songs.

I bet you there are THOUSANDS of songs that you love that are total
remakes of originals that were so poorly implemented that you never even
heard them. And plenty that you HAVE heard, and forgotten.

Thank you.
playon

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 08:14:26 GMT, Boom wrote:

Madonna can sing when she wants. She's not totally without talent.

I always thought her talents were more in the area of business and
promotion than music.

Al
Boom

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 11:38:49 -0800, playon
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 08:14:26 GMT, Boom wrote:

Madonna can sing when she wants. She's not totally without talent.

I always thought her talents were more in the area of business and
promotion than music.

They're probably stronger than her singing talents, but when she wants
to, she can really sing well.
John P

"Don Evans" wrote in a message

Yeah. Us over 40 people remember when GOOD bands played live and didn't
do that lip sync crap - like on American Bandstand. ... OK... well, so
they lip synced on Bandstand, but, so what? ... they COULD have played
and sang live if they wanted!
I don't understand why anyone cares.

Back in those days, the bands didn't lip sync because they couldn't
perform, it was because TV sound capabilities fairly well sucked for
featured music. There was no time allotted to "get sounds", forget about
monitors, and mixes were rudimentary and dry at best. Ed Sullivan and a
few other higher budget shows weren't terrible, but most of the kid
oriented shows had far less audio facilities than the average home studio
these days. Bands WANTED to play live, and were embarrassed when they had
to lip sync.

So, Lip syncing isn't bad, as long as one does it under the proper
circumstances and/or with the proper motivations?

Don Evans

"John P" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know if you could really say it was bad or good. It just sort of ..
was. Your choice was sometimes that you could be seen on TV if you lip
synced or not be seen at all. It certainly wasn't a source of pride, or
anything, as I said before.

I'd say that given a choice, most of the bands back then would not have done
it. For better or worse, ;-)

As a watcher, I always disliked it. Another peeve of mine was hearing
"backing tracks", when the singer would really sing, but the band was
prerecorded ... TV mixes. They're still used as well.

Don

Nathan West

"Jack A. Zucker" wrote in
I believe if you're over 40 you just can't understand this phenomenon.

I am over the limit and I still remember the Monkee's not performing squat
all on tour. They barely sang. I still like them...maybe even more now that
I think they are/were pretty cool guys.

Kids
today just don't care.

True for some. However there are plenty of kids around my neighborhood (
North Carolina) who love music performed by themselves or other real people.
They also are alienated from the current *entertainment* industry that has
produced too much of the fluff acts in recent years. Alienated...and bored
by *musician's*.

My opinion is that the entire Biz is weighted down with gross expectations
to deliver revenue way beyond the abilities and means of the employee's and
employer's.
I hate to be the naysayer, but interesting musician's are far and few
between. And for the most part people have appreciate songwriting and songs
much more than the musicianship behind it.
A lot of people can play their instruments; until recently this was a normal
activity at home; and many home musicians are often equal or better players
than the *professionals* out and about. So I think it is harder to get
people interested in players, because many can play better than the ones the
industry is touting.

Of course there are many exceptions but I think the vast majority of

music today is strictly about the show and PR.

Maybe the tiny majority of CD's that sell a gazillion are, but the rest of
biz is pretty real. Even Ashlee's *band* can rock the world pretty good. But
I do agree with you about the Saturday Night piece...my first thought was a
PR company arranged it, or they have excellent spin meisters on it. People
are still bloging, emailing, and posting usenet responses about it. That
kind of publicity is huge.

Boom

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 12:05:57 -0800, DeserTBoB
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 19:24:51 GMT, Boom wrote:

Believe it or not, back in our day (you know, when the wheel was first
invented), entertainment was still the big criteria just the same as
it is today. And 11 year old girls liked bull**** music just as much
as they do now. snip

Yup...the Archies, the Monkees, etc etc etc. However, at least they
could both really sing, even if it was the labels who provided just
enough "musical education" for them to get by.

In the Monkees, they could all sing before they ever got the parts,
and Mike and Peter could play guitar, bass and some keyboards. Micky
did learn how to play the drums for the part, and Davy learned how to
play rudimentary bass and guitar though he never played it on TV. As
for the Archies, that was all done with top studio musicians and a
lead singer named Ron Dante who wrote a lot of commercials with Barry
Manilow and ended up producing all his best stuff (if there is such a
thing). I worked with Ron once and the guy is super talented...no
coaching was necessary. He sang like 40 songs in 3 days for that
show.

Nobody choreographs being exposed as a fraud. snip

LOL...ask Enrique Iglesias after Howard Stern got done with him!

Enrique was the first to expose the practice of guide vocals to the
public. What a no talent hack he is.
Vin

there are plenty of examples of songs that sound
completely different acoustic but yet are just as good as the original
version.

There are? I hate that whole acoustic unplugged thing.

well thats your own personal problem.

some bands tweak their songs live, add jams.. if you mean a
total reworking i'd suggesting listening to tools pu**** from Ænema
and then the slow, live version from salival. they're very different
and as good as the original version is, the live version is even better.
or radiohead - like spinning plates.

I was talking more about bands rearranging their own stuff.

and those are two examples, especially tool. here's another, pearl jam
played a slow version of their song 'jeremy' live a few times, completely
different, unfortunately they never released it. it wouldn't have pleased
the masses but it was a great reworking of a song everyone had heard a
million times.

since you're probably not familiar
with those songs, here's one you should know, eric clapton - layla.

Hated it. The original arrangement is a million times better.

no its just different, they're both great. whether you like it or not
is irrelevant. if you don't like imagine that doesn't mean its a ****
song. anyways, you asked for examples, i gave them, clearly you have
some underlying obsession with living in a world where successfully
re-arranging a song is not possible and you seem determined keep that
reality intact so good luck and goodbye.

Tony Ennis

"Joe Sensor" wrote in message
Holy **** is she bad!!

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2662083?htv=12

I choose to believe she had no monitor, a horrific sinus infection, and was
drunk.

Tony Ennis

"John P" wrote in message
[...]

I think as long as the audience knows what it is getting, it's ok.

Tony Ennis

"Boom" said

LOL...ask Enrique Iglesias after Howard Stern got done with him!

Enrique was the first to expose the practice of guide vocals to the
public. What a no talent hack he is.

What is a guide vocal?

John P

"Tony Ennis" wrote in a message

I think as long as the audience knows what it is getting, it's ok.

I always figured that the "Business" part of "The music business" had taken
front stage long ago. Complaining about musical ability of someone in "the
business", in my mind, doesn't make much sense in that regard. It's not
about the music, it's about the money.

Vin

LOL...ask Enrique Iglesias after Howard Stern got done with him!

Enrique was the first to expose the practice of guide vocals to the
public. What a no talent hack he is.

What is a guide vocal?

you sing over the pre-recorded vocal track.

i saw a thing on tv once and they said that after howard 'exposed'
enrique and said he couldn't sing. enrique went down to his studio
and did a live on air performance and howard took everything back.
i could be wrong though

Boom

some bands tweak their songs live, add jams.. if you mean a
total reworking i'd suggesting listening to tools pu**** from Ænema
and then the slow, live version from salival. they're very different
and as good as the original version is, the live version is even better.
or radiohead - like spinning plates.

I was talking more about bands rearranging their own stuff.

and those are two examples, especially tool.

Oh, I was thinking you were talking about the band Saliva doing a
cover. Misread. Never mind.

since you're probably not familiar
with those songs, here's one you should know, eric clapton - layla.

Hated it. The original arrangement is a million times better.

no its just different, they're both great. whether you like it or not
is irrelevant. if you don't like imagine that doesn't mean its a ****
song. anyways, you asked for examples, i gave them, clearly you have
some underlying obsession with living in a world where successfully
re-arranging a song is not possible and you seem determined keep that
reality intact so good luck and goodbye.

And clearly you have some obsession with making people agree with you
whether they want to or not so goodbye to you too.

Douchebag.
Sean Dolan

Actually, most of the time, with some exceptions, the bands in this time
period were lip-synching to pre-recorded live performances that were taped
before the show. They didn't have the capability to go live with the sound,
so they did the next best thing.

-S

--
"Timpani! Take your drums to Brooklyn, play the same volume, you'll be
fine." -Otto Werner Mueller on my "Piannissimo" entrance in a Juilliard

Remove: Spamoff from email address to reply.

Roger W. Norman

Tom Adams (of Ricky Scaggs' group) came over to do a banjo track one day,
having driven down from PA to DC to pick up his daughter for the weekend.
He spent exactly 9 minutes on the tune. 3 to listen, 3 to record, 3 to
listen. I asked him if he wanted to do another take and his answer was
"What for?". It's the track on the release.

Wish I had even more of these guys available but making money playing music
is so far to the rear of what qualified players are wanting to do these days
that it doesn't make sense for them.

Such is the loss to humanity.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Skip Elliott Bowman" wrote in message
nk.net...
"-MIKE-" wrote in message

I remember seeing the Beatles in '64.

Yeah, Bernard Purdie did a great job, that night. :-)

Couple years ago, BP sat in with a band in which I played bass at the
time--he was old friends with the bandleader. BP didn't know the tune or
the arrangement or punches (a John Scofield song, slow-medium double-time
feel--don't recall the title), so I cued him when they came up. Only

needed
to do it one time, then he had them. It was one of the most enjoyable

times
I have ever had performing. This 60-something year-old drummer was
sweating like a newbie up there, which was encouraging--if he can sweat
sitting in and still play his arse off, then I've no excuse to do

otherwise.
A total sweetheart of a guy, too. He hung out until they closed up for

the
night, chatting with anyone who wanted to meet him. What a pro. What a
joy.

I also saw him play with Madonna's band on SNL one show. She sang "Fever"
and Madonna put him on a riser right behind her. Seeing him play with her
(and kicking the band dead square in the arse while he was at it) gave me

whole new respect for both him and her.

Frisco

yeah, but she can't sing either... kidding! totally kidding!

Paul

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 03:01:58 GMT, "Tony Ennis"
wrote:

Whitney Houston's Star Spangled Banner at a recent sporting event was
pre-recorded before the event, and lip-synced during the event.

. ..

wrote:

[...]

playon

wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 08:14:26 GMT, Boom wrote:

Madonna can sing when she wants. She's not totally without talent.

I always thought her talents were more in the area of business and
promotion than music.

They're probably stronger than her singing talents, but when she wants
to, she can really sing well.

Guess I've never heard her really want to then... or maybe I just
can't stand her style, whatever it is.

Al
Rev. Poindexter

In article et, Skip
Elliott Bowman wrote:

Get your own band, but then you'd better hope that
the musicians you hire won't give you lip about what you want them to play.

Hope is not in the equation if you're dealing with pros.

RP

--
Rev. Poindexter (masquerading as Scott Logsdon) -
visit the Unofficial Sonor Virtual Museum ---

Boom

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:55:17 -0500, "Rev. Poindexter"
wrote:

In article et, Skip
Elliott Bowman wrote:

Get your own band, but then you'd better hope that
the musicians you hire won't give you lip about what you want them to play.

Hope is not in the equation if you're dealing with pros.

True but not entirely true. Everyone has ideas and wants to get them
across when they can, even the most professional hired guns. And
depending on the situation, some of them can be quite vocal about it.
The difference is that a pro knows when he's going into a situation
where he ought to just shut up and do what they want.
George Lawrence

Loose syncs lip ships

--
George Lawrence
George's Drum Shop

"If thine enemy wrong thee,
buy each of his children a drum."
-Chinese proverb
"Don Evans" wrote in message
"John P" wrote in message
[...]

BKO

"George Lawrence" wrote

Loose syncs lip ships

There's got to be a drummer joke in there, somewhere.

brent

Skip Elliott Bowman

"Boom" wrote in message

I can't think of one song that any band rearranged and made it as good
as the original.

I know it's sacrilege to even think about it, but hey: I think the
arrangement and performance of Aretha Franklin's "Respect" in the film
"Blues Brothers 2000" is an improvement on the original. Granted, they did
use the same vocalist, but still

Skip Elliott Bowman

wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 08:14:26 GMT, Boom wrote:

Madonna can sing when she wants. She's not totally without talent.

I always thought her talents were more in the area of business and
promotion than music.

They're probably stronger than her singing talents, but when she wants
to, she can really sing well.

To be fair, there are only four notes in the melody of "Fever": A, C, D, and
E. But she did just fine nonetheless. That song doesn't require operatic
chops to perform, but you have to carry the emotions of the song, which she
did.

Same with Mariah Carey. I saw her on SNL; she performed with only a piano
and 4 backup singers. Sang her arse off. I do miss her singing in
altissimo, though.

Bottom line: the less accompaniment a singer has, the more naked their voice
is. Then you can tell if they have juice.

"Skip Elliott Bowman" wrote in message
nk.net...

Actually, I have to qualify my earlier answer: I played in a band opening
for the Temps last summer, and the Temps horn section was contracted local
players. The Temps were doing a lot of choreography (not youngsters,

these
guys) and the horn players weren't wearing headphones for click tracks, so
they must have been singing live. Maybe it IS a generational, work-ethic
thing.

I agree that it's generational but I'm not sure I'd call it a work ethic.
More like a strong desire to be real, to demonstrate the ability to pull the
difficult stuff off in a live context. I think the Motown sound and the
rapid improvement in studio production set sort of a precedent, and raised
the bar for the listeners in terms of expecting a polished, sophisticated
production. As we know, given enough studio time and expertise, almost
anyone can be made to sound good. As a horn player in the late 60's and a
bassist in the early 70's doing Chicago and BS&T covers, I remember that we
really knocked ourselves out to prove we could pull this stuff off live
without overdubs and such. Not so much as work ethic, but just to establish
ourselves as capable and willing to work up a sweat. James Brown wasn't the
only one who could get wet.

Sean Dolan

Blinded By The Light

Enuff said...

-S

On 1/10/05 11:12 AM, in article
t, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
wrote:

"Boom" wrote in message

I can't think of one song that any band rearranged and made it as good
as the original.

I know it's sacrilege to even think about it, but hey: I think the
arrangement and performance of Aretha Franklin's "Respect" in the film
"Blues Brothers 2000" is an improvement on the original. Granted, they did
use the same vocalist, but still

--
"Timpani! Take your drums to Brooklyn, play the same volume, you'll be
fine." -Otto Werner Mueller on my "Piannissimo" entrance in a Juilliard
Orchestra Rehearsal, C. 1997

Remove: Spamoff from email address to reply.

Sean Dolan

Absolutely!

Or even in rock, one might well argue that Joe Cocker's arrangement of
"A Little Help From My Friends" managed to surpass The Beatles.

--
"Timpani! Take your drums to Brooklyn, play the same volume, you'll be
fine." -Otto Werner Mueller on my "Piannissimo" entrance in a Juilliard
Orchestra Rehearsal, C. 1997

Remove: Spamoff from email address to reply.

Don Evans

wrote in message

[...]

So, in essence ... those that can do, sing and those that can't, sync?
;-)

Don

Joe Sensor

georgeh wrote:

Or even in rock, one might well argue that Joe Cocker's arrangement of
"A Little Help From My Friends" managed to surpass The Beatles.

Have you heard Rany Newman's version of 'You Can Leave Your Hat On'? I
assume that is the original version since Randy wrote it. Needless to
say, Cocker's version rocks, Randy's does not.
Glenn Dowdy

"Joe Sensor" wrote in message
georgeh wrote:

Or even in rock, one might well argue that Joe Cocker's arrangement of
"A Little Help From My Friends" managed to surpass The Beatles.

Have you heard Rany Newman's version of 'You Can Leave Your Hat On'? I
assume that is the original version since Randy wrote it. Needless to
say, Cocker's version rocks, Randy's does not.

To be frank, Cocker's version calls up other favorable images that would add
to the pleasant memory of the song.

Glenn D.

Frisco

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:22:15 GMT, "Glenn Dowdy"
wrote:

"Joe Sensor" wrote in message
georgeh wrote:

Or even in rock, one might well argue that Joe Cocker's arrangement of
"A Little Help From My Friends" managed to surpass The Beatles.

Have you heard Rany Newman's version of 'You Can Leave Your Hat On'? I
assume that is the original version since Randy wrote it. Needless to
say, Cocker's version rocks, Randy's does not.

To be frank, Cocker's version calls up other favorable images that would add
to the pleasant memory of the song.

Glenn D.

Like a bunch of stripper naked guys from The Full Monty? ;-)

Paul
james of tucson

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.audio.pro.]
On 2005-01-10, Roger W. Norman wrote:

He spent exactly 9 minutes on the tune. 3 to listen, 3 to record, 3 to
listen.

When Mozart was composing his Piano Concerto in D-min, he was on a very
tight production schedule. The musicians were rehearsing parts as soon
as the ink was dry enough to do it. The orchestral parts of the
composition were completed just barely in time, on the same day as the
performance, and the piano part, since it was to be played by Wolfgang
himself, wasn't finished until afterwards. (Lucky for us he cared
enough about his work to go ahead and put it down! -- actually, he
didn't. The piece had something of an oral history, and it was
Beethoven who wrote down his interpretation of the way the piece might
have been played. We will never know, really).

It has taken me 28 years to learn to even pretend to play this piece of
music. The orchestra had minutes to learn it, and Mozart apparently
just played it as it appeared in his head, before he'd even written it
down fully.

jmt

Dear ScreamPuppy;
You mentioned, "the music press is saying"

Now There's a Pool of inimitable Genius we've all come to
rely upon.
jmt(ape)

howldog wrote:

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:08:58 -0500, "Jack A. Zucker"
wrote:

"Vin" wrote in message
om...

a. the tonight show isn't live
b. the people who enjoy this kind of music don't care if its lip sync'ed.

I believe if you're over 40 you just can't understand this phenomenon. Kids
today just don't care. It's not music, it's a show and a show is
choreographed and it doesn't matter if anyone is improvising, playing, etc.
The only important value is whether it's entertaining.

Its not just kids. Many adults that dont know anything about music,
feel the same way. And here's a quote from some music critic:

What you want is a final product that's fun," says Sasha Frere-Jones,
music critic for The New Yorker. "Everybody uses guide tracks."

so there you go. even the music press is saying lip styncing is legit
because the final product is entertainment, a performance... not
music.

--
"and You know what can happen when you have too much fun"......
Rick Danko
Steve Turner

On 2005-01-10, Roger W. Norman wrote:

[...]

And even though Bernard Purdie was quite young at the time, word has it
he layed down a smokin' groove on the percussion parts.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.
Glenn Dowdy

wrote:

"Joe Sensor" wrote in message
georgeh wrote:

Or even in rock, one might well argue that Joe Cocker's arrangement

of
"A Little Help From My Friends" managed to surpass The Beatles.

Have you heard Rany Newman's version of 'You Can Leave Your Hat On'? I
assume that is the original version since Randy wrote it. Needless to
say, Cocker's version rocks, Randy's does not.

To be frank, Cocker's version calls up other favorable images that would

add
to the pleasant memory of the song.

Glenn D.

Like a bunch of stripper naked guys from The Full Monty? ;-)

Well, I can't speak for _you_, Mr. Francisco, but I was thinking of "9 1/2
Weeks".

Glenn D.

Frisco

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:57:24 GMT, "Glenn Dowdy"
wrote:

Have you heard Rany Newman's version of 'You Can Leave Your Hat On'? I
assume that is the original version since Randy wrote it. Needless to
say, Cocker's version rocks, Randy's does not.

To be frank, Cocker's version calls up other favorable images that would

add
to the pleasant memory of the song.

Glenn D.

Like a bunch of stripper naked guys from The Full Monty? ;-)

Well, I can't speak for _you_, Mr. Francisco, but I was thinking of "9 1/2
Weeks".

Glenn D.

heh heh... I just saw the movie again the other night with the wife.
And even tho it's full of naked men, it's a hilarious movie. I like
the song too, but unfortunately for me right now, 9-1/2 Weeks has been
pushed out of the mental file-cabinet in favor of Irish man-butt.

And for the sake of returning this thread back to an on-topic music
discussion, I like Joe Cocker's verision better too. ;-)

Paul