MajBach1

Default specific advice on surround repair

Hi, all. Before I state my problem, let me say that I did do an extensive
search first and came up with more questions than answers
Anyway, the other day after playing some of the Matrix Soundtrack just wee
bit too loud, one of my Paradigm speakers started sounding uncomfortably
similar to a boat full of fishermen after eating to much pork and beans. I
disassembled it and noticed the cone had separated from the surround about
1/3 the circumference. The surround is made of foam and the break is very
clean. I was surprised to see that there is zero sign of dry-rot especially
considering these speakers are at least a decade old.
I have found various suggestions over a number of NGs for using some sort of
adhesive to repair the speaker. The most common response is something that
'suspiciously resembles Elmer's glue'. However, a few more sophisticated
replies suggested that proper glue IS NOT Elmer's.
I am asking for some specific ideas on how to repair the cone with an
adhesive I can obtain from my local hardware store or Radio Shack.
Yes, I have posted this on a couple of other NGs. Hope the cross-post
doesn't **** anyone off. Just wasn't sure which NG was most appropriate.
Thanks,
MajBach

Barry Mann

In , on 01/28/04
at 07:29 PM, "MajBach1" said:

[...]

My suggestion is to refoam both speakers. You'll have a dickens of a
time centering that cone while you glue it. One must remove the dust
cap and insert some shims. Then you'll need a new dustcap.

In the bottle, that surround glue looks a lot like Elmer's, but it is
flexible and almost clear when cured. Elmer's is not a good substitute.
There are thousands of glues out there. When the correct formula is
(properly) used for an application, the results are amazing. The wrong
formula (or technique) is pure frustration.

Even though the foam might seem OK, it would not have separated if it
was healthy. Perhaps your little "event" accelerated the speaker's
demise by a few weeks or months, but you were already far down that
path.

Purchase a refoam kit, you'll get everything you need to repair both
speakers.

If you must fuss with things and avoid the cost of a refoam kit (for
now), use a *SMALL* amount of Silicone Rubber to re-attach the
surround. Don't use too much because it will get in the way later after
you decide to use the kit.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Dave H.

"MajBach1" wrote
[...]

Hi Maj,
1/3 of he circumference is a *large* split, I'd be tempted to go for a
recone/surround replacement as previously suggested, but *if* you want to at
least try a home repair, I've had some success with Dow Corning low-modulus
silicone adhesive on smaller splits (up to around 3" / 75mm) - it should be
available from a good hardware store, and dries clear.

HTH,
Dave H.
(THe engineer formerly known as Homeless)