Posted to rec.audio.tech
W.G.D. W.G.D. is offline

Default 'A' type speaker

Some place in the dark confines of my mind I seem to recall ~ one of two
speaker firms has resurrected one of their tried/true systems. An 'A' style
I think it was, born 'n bred in the 50s, an off-shoot, derivative of the
firm's theater system. ElectroVoice or Altec Lansing or ??.

(Read about it in Robb Reports "Home Entertainment" a long time ago.)

Please, someone set me straight on this. Who and what was the model?

Tks!

Wayne

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"W.G.D." wrote:

Some place in the dark confines of my mind I seem to recall ~ one of two
speaker firms has resurrected one of their tried/true systems. An 'A' style
I think it was, born 'n bred in the 50s, an off-shoot, derivative of the
firm's theater system. ElectroVoice or Altec Lansing or ??.

(Read about it in Robb Reports "Home Entertainment" a long time ago.)

Please, someone set me straight on this. Who and what was the model?

Altec Voice of the Theatre thingy. Model A7.

http://www.alteclansing.com/legacy/specs.asp

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Stuart Welwood Stuart Welwood is offline

Wayne,

You must be thinking of the Altec Lansing A7 Voice of the Theatre, a very
common, older, film theater system:
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...region=northam

They've become rather pricey these days, used ones may be found for much
less on eBay, etc.

Stuart

"W.G.D." wrote in message
Some place in the dark confines of my mind I seem to recall ~ one of two
speaker firms has resurrected one of their tried/true systems. An 'A'
style I think it was, born 'n bred in the 50s, an off-shoot, derivative of
the firm's theater system. ElectroVoice or Altec Lansing or ??.

(Read about it in Robb Reports "Home Entertainment" a long time ago.)

Please, someone set me straight on this. Who and what was the model?

Tks!

Wayne

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Stuart Welwood wrote:

Wayne,

You must be thinking of the Altec Lansing A7 Voice of the Theatre, a very
common, older, film theater system:
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...region=northam

They've become rather pricey these days, used ones may be found for much
less on eBay, etc.

Nor are they especially wonderful but it seems you can sell anything these days
if it's got 'heritage'.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Stuart Welwood" wrote ...
You must be thinking of the Altec Lansing A7 Voice of the Theatre, a
very common, older, film theater system:
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...region=northam

They've become rather pricey these days, used ones may be found for
much less on eBay, etc.

The drivers were pretty tough, though. My crew once dropped
one off a 30-ft scaffold and broke the plywood enclosure into
its component pieces. But they took it to the cabinet shop, and
re-glued and clamped it together overnight, and it worked great
the next day.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Ron is offline

Eeyore wrote:
"W.G.D." wrote:

Some place in the dark confines of my mind I seem to recall ~ one of two
speaker firms has resurrected one of their tried/true systems. An 'A' style
I think it was, born 'n bred in the 50s, an off-shoot, derivative of the
firm's theater system. ElectroVoice or Altec Lansing or ??.

(Read about it in Robb Reports "Home Entertainment" a long time ago.)

Please, someone set me straight on this. Who and what was the model?

Altec Voice of the Theatre thingy. Model A7.

http://www.alteclansing.com/legacy/specs.asp

Graham

I remember seeing the movie "Earthquake" in the theater way back when
and they had 4 speakers, one in each corner, so you could "feel" the
experience. Can't recall if it was the Altecs or the Klipschorns, but
it was pretty cool back then.

http://www.klipsch.de/products/details/klipschorn.aspx

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Ron" wrote in message
oups.com...
I remember seeing the movie "Earthquake" in the theater way back when
and they had 4 speakers, one in each corner, so you could "feel" the
experience. Can't recall if it was the Altecs or the Klipschorns, but
it was pretty cool back then.

Neither, Cerwin Vega developed speakers for that movie if I remember
correctly.
(JBL's being more common at the time in any case)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Ron is offline

Mr.T wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message
oups.com...
I remember seeing the movie "Earthquake" in the theater way back when
and they had 4 speakers, one in each corner, so you could "feel" the
experience. Can't recall if it was the Altecs or the Klipschorns, but
it was pretty cool back then.

Neither, Cerwin Vega developed speakers for that movie if I remember
correctly.
(JBL's being more common at the time in any case)

MrT.

Looks like the system was custom made but doesn't mention any brand
name.

http://www.in70mm.com/newsletter/200...ound/about.htm

It does say they used 18" woofers so that leaves Klipsch out.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Ron is offline

Ron wrote:
Mr.T wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message
oups.com...
I remember seeing the movie "Earthquake" in the theater way back when
and they had 4 speakers, one in each corner, so you could "feel" the
experience. Can't recall if it was the Altecs or the Klipschorns, but
it was pretty cool back then.

Neither, Cerwin Vega developed speakers for that movie if I remember
correctly.
(JBL's being more common at the time in any case)

MrT.

Looks like the system was custom made but doesn't mention any brand
name.

http://www.in70mm.com/newsletter/200...ound/about.htm

It does say they used 18" woofers so that leaves Klipsch out.

Good call!!!!
http://www.uk70mm.com/archive/sensurroundre.html

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Peter Larsen Peter Larsen is offline

Ron wrote:

Looks like the system was custom made but doesn't mention any
brand name.

http://www.in70mm.com/newsletter/200...ound/about.htm

Soundtrack, quake included, was available on LP.

It does say they used 18" woofers so that leaves Klipsch out.

Good call!!!!
http://www.uk70mm.com/archive/sensurroundre.html

Interesting, thanks!

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Ron" wrote in message
oups.com...

Eeyore wrote:
"W.G.D." wrote:

[...]

Cerwin-Vega developed a system the marketing people
called "Sensurround". A couple of memorable demos
at the AES convention that year in the downtown LA
Hilton hotel:

They had one of their 15-inch drivers under a plastic
box for display. They had an ordinary zip-cord power
cable attached to it and a power plug on the end. They
would plug it directly into the 117VAC wall socket
to demonstrate its remarkable power-handling and
otuput capabilities. Perhaps under plastic so you couldn't
burn yourself on the frame? :-)

They also had what looked like an odd column speaker
sitting in the corner of the room. But if you looked closely
at the shape and the particular spot in the corner, it formed
a giant horn (in the same manner as Klipsch, but without
the bulk). When they played the "Earthquake" sound track
through it, the sound waves would flap your pants legs at
20 ft. IIRC, they had to pay the hotel for the repairs to the
cracks in the plaster of their demo room.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Barry Mann Barry Mann is offline

In , on 12/04/06
at 08:05 AM, "Richard Crowley" said:

[...]

Wikipedia has an account:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensurround

I don't know if it was the Sensurround system but, at about that time,
Cerwin Vega had a small convention room (about 40x40 if I can recall
correctly) at the New York AES Convention.

They could interfere with your breathing.

Since I am very protective of my hearing, I left the room in a hurry,
but it was fun.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
They had one of their 15-inch drivers under a plastic
box for display. They had an ordinary zip-cord power
cable attached to it and a power plug on the end. They
would plug it directly into the 117VAC wall socket
to demonstrate its remarkable power-handling and
otuput capabilities.

The speakers did handle a bit of power, but 1.7 kW continuous would fry them
fairly quickly I imagine.
Maybe there was a nice big dropping resistor you didn't see :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
They had one of their 15-inch drivers under a plastic
box for display. They had an ordinary zip-cord power
cable attached to it and a power plug on the end. They
would plug it directly into the 117VAC wall socket
to demonstrate its remarkable power-handling and
otuput capabilities.

The speakers did handle a bit of power, but 1.7 kW continuous would fry
them
fairly quickly I imagine.
Maybe there was a nice big dropping resistor you didn't see :-)

We're assuming they were 8 ohms? Perhaps not.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
We're assuming they were 8 ohms? Perhaps not.

Not totally, I'm assuming they were not more than 16 ohm.
I guess it's possible they were 100V line drivers, in which case it's not
that big a deal anyway.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

They had one of their 15-inch drivers under a plastic
box for display. They had an ordinary zip-cord power
cable attached to it and a power plug on the end.

Julian Hirsch described having tried plugging a Cerwin Vega loudspeaker,
as I recall it a subwoofer cabinet, into the wall socket because it
would be within the specs. The only outcome was a very loud noise.

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
Julian Hirsch described having tried plugging a Cerwin Vega loudspeaker,
as I recall it a subwoofer cabinet, into the wall socket because it
would be within the specs. The only outcome was a very loud noise.

Well I'm interested to know then what impedance it was, and if 8ohms, just
how long it can really handle 1.7kW at 60Hz for?
Third party anecdotes are all well and good, but if it's within spec, where
are the specs?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jinkins Jinkins is offline

Electro-Voice Driver and Horn in an Altec-Lansing Voice of the Theater box.
I've seen these modified even further with bigger and better horns. Many
theaters used these beforwe and after the "Earthquake" movie. Without the
horns these are like Super Nuclear Sub-Woofers, especially when placed
around in the four corners of a theater. Not only could you almost produce
the mythical "brown note" you could make the seats and floor tremble to add
to the effects of the bass produced. If you can locate some pictures (try
google images) of the original Woodstock Festival you may notice stacks of
VOT's throughout the area. Lansing basically used the old University system
of bass reflex through a single large driver reversed deep inside an echo
box to create the VOT by using EV speakers and horns. Arranged with a set of
better horns and up to date drivers these are the best general LOUD speaker
system ever made. You could entertain your neighborhood and more with a set
driven by an 8-track Kraco tape player, in other words they are so effecient
it doesn't take much to drive them at all. In an old gymnasium with a stage
at one end and driven by a 4o watt rms per channel Marantz Receiever we blew
out the windows and cracked bricks and mortar in the walls...the Sisters of
the Precious Blood at St. Mary's college in 1976 allowed for a disco night ,
so angered at the thought of disco we called on band friends to loan us
their VOT's ...needless to say there was never another Disco Night or Other
Music Night ever again at St. Mary's College. These were designed for
theaters, auditoriums, and very large venues, why you would want them in
your home is like Tim the Tool Man Taylor mentality and massive overkill.
It's been done with different horns and drivers, a single rim shot could
blow your back wall down with the originals. They "throw' sound, that's what
they were designed to do and let me tell you, with the right chemicals I
believe you could actually see the sound waves resonating from these huge
cabinets. I believe Procol Harum cracked the ceiling structure of one of the
old Filmore's and caused it to be closed down.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dpierce@cartchunk.org is offline

Mr.T wrote:
"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
Julian Hirsch described having tried plugging a Cerwin Vega loudspeaker,
as I recall it a subwoofer cabinet, into the wall socket because it
would be within the specs. The only outcome was a very loud noise.

Well I'm interested to know then what impedance it was, and if 8ohms, just
how long it can really handle 1.7kW at 60Hz for?

Because if it is a "nominal" 8 ohm speaker, sucha spec allows
for substantial variations in impedance. For example, if the
fundamental resonance is at 60 Hz, the impedance may well
be 50-60 ohms. At that point, it's no longer 1.7 kW but
more like 240 Watts. The mechanical excursion may be high
at that frequency, but one of the side effects is to push large
amounts of air through the gap and past the voice coil.

Third party anecdotes are all well and good, but if it's
within spec, where are the specs?

Hardly a third party anecdote, because I have done it
with a number of speaker, if for no other reason than
to prove the point. And my firste exposure to such
was to see the dumbest speaker connector hookup
of all time: some guy decide to wire his living room
with in-wall speaker wiring. He used ordimary romex
(no problem there) but his in-wal connectors were
standard AC power sockets. Some friends kid came
along and unplugged all the speakers from the
"speaker" sockets and plugged them into the real
power outlets, which were, stupidly, within easy reach.
They made a fearful noise unto the heavens, but they
survived. The idiot that did it, however, did not
survive the local electrical inspector and fire department
wrath.

And, yes, the speakers were "within spec" in the sense
that their nominal impedance specification was well
within the range dictated by the likes of IEC 60968-5.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Jinkins wrote:

Arranged with a set of
better horns and up to date drivers these are the best general LOUD speaker
system ever made.

What complete and total drivel.

You could entertain your neighborhood and more with a set
driven by an 8-track Kraco tape player, in other words they are so effecient
it doesn't take much to drive them at all. In an old gymnasium with a stage
at one end and driven by a 4o watt rms per channel Marantz Receiever we blew
out the windows and cracked bricks and mortar in the walls...

I rather doubt that actually.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Jinkins wrote:
Arranged with a set of better horns and up to date
drivers these are the best general LOUD speaker
system ever made.

Hmm, that would be what we old-timers would call
an "opinion."

Besides better horns and up-to-date drivers and,
oh by the way, cabinets designed with FAR more
knowledge than the blind cut-and-try that was de
rigor for they day, in other words, a completely
different loudspeaker COULD be very good ideed.

You could entertain your neighborhood and more
with a set driven by an 8-track Kraco tape player,

Great, loud BAD sound. Just what the world needs
more of.

in other words they are so effecient
it doesn't take much to drive them at all.

Actually, no, they are not so efficient. At best, broad-
band efficiency of the bass cabinets is on the order
of maybe 8-10% at best. The horn loading on the
front of the woofer is pretty ineffective, at best, and
contributes nothing much to overall efficiency. At
the low end, the horn is simply too small to work,
at the high-end, the throat size is far to big to work.
The "reflex" portion is simply screwed up at best:
the cabinet volume is the wrong size for the driver
compliance and Qt, the port size is too large and
the cabinet is tuned to high. It's basically a mess.

In an old gymnasium with a stage at one end
and driven by a 4o watt rms per channel Marantz
Receiever

Into 8 ohms, VOT's were 16 ohms, yes?

we blew out the windows and cracked bricks
and mortar in the walls

No, you did not. This is utter nonsense. Best case
is that you were producing on the order of a half
dozen acoustic watts total sound output. At the edge
of the stage, that was producing a sound level of
about 115 dB. The kinds of sound pressure levels
needed to cause the damage you claim are on the
order of 50-60 dB greater than that. That's hundreds
of thousands of acoustic watts. Please explain to
us how ANY speaker system hooked to a 40 watt
amplifier hooked to ANY speaker can produce
a hundred thousand acoustic watts.

If there was the damage as you claim, it's probably
because the good Sisters of the Precious Blood
quite rightly had you and your system booted out the
door for simply sounding terrible and lying like a
cheap rug, and the Mother Agnes, a bouncer in her
own right, simply missed the door a couple of times.

It's been done with different horns and drivers, a
single rim shot could blow your back wall down
with the originals.

Noy, you ARE full of it, aren't you?

They "throw' sound, that's what they were designed
to do and let me tell you, with the right chemicals I
believe you could actually see the sound waves
resonating from these huge cabinets.

Yeah, and I suspect it is these very same chemicals
that caused you to see broken windows and cracked
bricks and mortar.

I believe Procol Harum cracked the ceiling structure
of one of the old Filmore's and caused it to be
closed down.

Yeah, I'm sure you believe that. And it's a good thing
physics is not a belief system.

There is not a single shred of evidence to suggest
that it was closed down for no other reason than a
significant shift in the musical concert paradigm of
the times.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well I'm interested to know then what impedance it was, and if 8ohms,

just
how long it can really handle 1.7kW at 60Hz for?

Because if it is a "nominal" 8 ohm speaker, sucha spec allows
for substantial variations in impedance. For example, if the
fundamental resonance is at 60 Hz, the impedance may well
be 50-60 ohms. At that point, it's no longer 1.7 kW but
more like 240 Watts. The mechanical excursion may be high
at that frequency, but one of the side effects is to push large
amounts of air through the gap and past the voice coil.

Yes I had already thought of that Dick, however you must remember these
speakers are specifically designed for much lower frequencies than 60Hz,
therefore I seriuosly doubt the tuned box resonance is at that frequency.
I am quite happy to be proven wrong as soon as somebody finds the
specifications alluded to.

Third party anecdotes are all well and good, but if it's
within spec, where are the specs?

Hardly a third party anecdote, because I have done it
with a number of speaker, if for no other reason than
to prove the point.

Yes, I agree it absolutely can be done *IF* the speaker box resonant peak at
60Hz is sufficiently large. All I am saying is that is unlikely in this
case, and anything even close to 1.7 kW is not going to make too many
drivers happy for too long :-)
Music peaks are one thing, but 1kW+ continuous power dissipation requires
some serious cooling, not to mention the likely cone excursion involved,
especially if it's not a ported enclosure tuned to 60Hz, as I suspect..

snip more anecdotes
And, yes, the speakers were "within spec" in the sense
that their nominal impedance specification was well
within the range dictated by the likes of IEC 60968-5.

Which is not sufficient information to prove anything unfortunately.
But yes, it CAN be done, *IF* you wanted to for some reason. I do not
dispute that.

Your not plugging MY speakers into the mains though, even if we didn't use
240V here :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jinkins Jinkins is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...

Jinkins wrote:
Arranged with a set of better horns and up to date
drivers these are the best general LOUD speaker
system ever made.

Hmm, that would be what we old-timers would call
an "opinion."

Excellent, you can think after all... I said "Arranged with
a set of better horns and up to date drivers theses are the
best general LOUD speakers ever made" and you
said "H'mmm, that would be what we old-timers would
call an "opinion" "

Nothing short of pure brillance!

oh by the way, cabinets designed with FAR more
knowledge than the blind cut-and-try that was de
rigor for they day, in other words, a completely
different loudspeaker COULD be very good ideed.

More genious Doctor please!
Are you saying JBL (Lansing) used pure and cut and
try blind experimentation?

broad-
band efficiency of the bass cabinets is on the order
of maybe 8-10% at best. The horn loading on the
front of the woofer is pretty ineffective, at best, and
contributes nothing much to overall efficiency. At
the low end, the horn is simply too small to work,
at the high-end, the throat size is far to big to work.
The "reflex" portion is simply screwed up at best:
the cabinet volume is the wrong size for the driver
compliance and Qt, the port size is too large and
the cabinet is tuned to high. It's basically a mess.

Thanks for removing all doubt, you have just stated
above that you know nothing at all about the Voice
of the Theater speaker and it's design.

No, you did not. This is utter nonsense. Best case
is that you were producing on the order of a half
dozen acoustic watts total sound output. At the edge
of the stage, that was producing a sound level of
about 115 dB. The kinds of sound pressure levels
needed to cause the damage you claim are on the
order of 50-60 dB greater than that. That's hundreds
of thousands of acoustic watts. Please explain to
us how ANY speaker system hooked to a 40 watt
amplifier hooked to ANY speaker can produce
a hundred thousand acoustic watts.

Call St.Mary's it's at 101 N. Main St. in O'Fallon, MO.
It's now just a retirement place for old nuns, people are
there that would remember, amazingly the Gym on the
second floor is too.

because the good Sisters of the Precious Blood
quite rightly had you and your system booted out the
door for simply sounding terrible and lying like a
cheap rug, and the Mother Agnes, a bouncer in her
own right, simply missed the door a couple of times.

You missed the point all together, but your point is clear
as day...you are a born DICK HEAD better suited at
anal sex and BJ's then making creative criticism, you'd
like to start an argument and push things to the personal
level over something that never personally involved
you or anything you said. You are right, I made an
opinion...at least it's shared in the value that the Voice
of the Theater still brings.

I made another opinion, I'm sure it's shared as well.
So while I'm on the opinion trail I have another;

would you speak face to face with me the way you
did in your post or would a big mouth, nothing,
PUSSY like you just sit there and shut the **** up
like the DICK HEAD PUSSY he is?

My point is this, and I hope it's clear, if you want
to pick an argument that's fine, be factual and stick
to the debate, if you want to make it personal then
be prepared to grow some balls and back up your
bull**** candy ass hiding behind a keyboard by being
prepared to have your ****in teeth knocked your down
your pussy throat...

Now go go read up some more on something you know
little about and come back here and post your plagerism,
because that's what dick headed pussy geeks like you do...

If you want to debate, debate. argue? Then argue... if you
want to get personal then quit typing like a chat bitch and
get with it, because you either are a bitch or you'll back it
up...which is it?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jinkins Jinkins is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message

What complete and total drivel.

What a complete and total "dribble" of a reply.

The fact that the Voice of Theater speakers were
in more theaters and on more stages for a longer,
period of time then any other "true" loud speaker
is a non-opinionated statement, longivity supports
my so-called opinion. Voice of Theater speakers
are an Icon, the only true Icon status any speaker
system has ever acheived. Reverberartion in a large
auditorium can create some very strong impacts by
the sound waves. The Filmore is a factual example
well documented. Here's an opinion that I can't
support; Eeyore has never been near a set and I
believe just like his buddy the pussy who can't put his
money where his mouth is or cash the checks his ass
writes, that they are both more interested in making
up for their own personal shortcomings then they are
providing substantial proof or facts to support anything
they have to say. They'd both rather 'heckle' someone
to get their rocks off because their lives are so miserably
lame and their dicks are so short that it's the only way either can achieve
something remotely close to being
a man. It takes two little boys with tiny little nuts to sit
behind a keyboard and make catcalls like they do.
Me, on the other hand, is someone who would gladdly
knock the sperm stored in their pathetic stomachs right back up their gay
ass throats for talking to me in the fashion they chose...but sissys just
run and hide.

It's fair to say that you two pussies have been called out,
by your own doings. Step forward and try to be a man, I've got your "drivel"
in the form of a knuckle sandwich
sperm belcher... I hate pussy ass hecklers with smart ass mouths and no
balls to say the things they write to someones face...just makes me want to
punch their heads in even harder.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Jinkins wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

What complete and total drivel.

What a complete and total "dribble" of a reply.

The fact that the Voice of Theater speakers were
in more theaters and on more stages for a longer,
period of time then any other "true" loud speaker
is a non-opinionated statement, longivity supports
my so-called opinion. Voice of Theater speakers
are an Icon, the only true Icon status any speaker
system has ever acheived. Reverberartion in a large
auditorium can create some very strong impacts by
the sound waves. The Filmore is a factual example
well documented.

There are countries other than the USA you know. The Filmore is no great example
to choose btw.

Here's an opinion that I can't
support; Eeyore has never been near a set

Set ? As in film set. Yes I've been on those.

Do you mean a rock gig perhaps ? Sure I've mixed hundreds of gigs in venues up
to 1000 capacity and VOTs would have been completely lost in them.

Indeed I've been working in pro-audio for over 30 years, specialsing in live
sound and I've never used VOTs. They were already outdated by the time I
started.

[...]

You're a complete idiot.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Jinkins wrote:

... I said "Arranged with
a set of better horns and up to date drivers theses are the
best general LOUD speakers ever made" and you
said "H'mmm, that would be what we old-timers would
call an "opinion" "

Nothing short of pure brillance!

Yes, and it is also so that with different drivers, a horn that does not
ring like church bells sunday at 10 am and a bass cabinet that actually
was tuned properly it would no longer be the same speaker.

More genious Doctor please!
Are you saying JBL (Lansing) used pure and cut and
try blind experimentation?

That appears to sum it up very nicely and it explains historical design
oddities, such as their traditional approach of crossing over TO a
loudspeaker unit at the exact frequency at which most people would cross
away from it. There are sound reasons for why their early designs were
like they were, and they were and are masters of the art of getting a
large membrane to break up and function like a smaller in a controlled,
well sounding way. He was a very good cook in the sense that much design
is like cookery.

The "reflex" portion is simply screwed up at best:
the cabinet volume is the wrong size for the driver
compliance and Qt, the port size is too large and
the cabinet is tuned to high. It's basically a mess.

Thanks for removing all doubt, you have just stated
above that you know nothing at all about the Voice
of the Theater speaker and it's design.

Mr. Pierce knows most about loudspeakers.

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Bret Ludwig wrote:

Jinkins wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message

What complete and total drivel.

What a complete and total "dribble" of a reply.

The fact that the Voice of Theater speakers were
in more theaters and on more stages for a longer,
period of time then any other "true" loud speaker
is a non-opinionated statement, longivity supports
my so-called opinion. Voice of Theater speakers
are an Icon, the only true Icon status any speaker
system has ever acheived

Lots of speakers are "icons" in that sense including the original Quad
electrostats, Klipsches, Altec 604s, Tannoy Dual Concentrics, Apogee
ribbon tweeter designs, there really is quite a list. And as common as
VoT systems were they came out of theaters en masse when Star Wars came
out, and with good reason. They were a reasonable solution to a problem
and are not any more.

Electro-Voice Sentry IVs would leave them standing anyway ( and actually sound
good too ) .

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Barry Mann Barry Mann is offline

To some extent we tend to be haunted by that first knock your socks off
listening experience. Now, perhaps decades later, all we remember is
the "WOW".

In a few cases I have been able to revisit a "first love" product,
let's just say that there has been some progress.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Bret Ludwig wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Bret Ludwig wrote:
Jinkins wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message

[...]

I've had a pair. I thought they were harsh and strident in the treble.

Well it is a high power compression driver midrange unit from 400 - 3k5. The 1823M
driver ( later the 1824 ) with a flare whose part number eludes me now, they were
used in the Sentry III too.

Did they use some variant of the Avedon cheapie T-35 tweeter?

It was the ST350, a variant of the T350. Quite similar to the T-35 but with twice
the power handling.

Still no good for PA so I used a pair of Vitavox S2 drivers with their HF
diffraction horn and very sweet they were too.

I remember they didn't lack volume though.

Indeed not. I used to run a rig with 4 of the 'bins' and 2 MF/HF units. We used
that in a number of venues with up to 1000 capacity and it blew the socks off quite
a few other rigs of the day. I do recall one band - who were a regular touring band
- say it was actually the best PA they'd ever heard and insisted on forcing drinks
on us after the gig :~).

When it was used for discos it had the reputation of being the loudest and cleanest
hi-fi you would ever find ( they were originally designed as studio monitors ). Of
course we biamped them too. I just used a simple passive x-over between the mid and
highs. That also meant we could match the amps to the drivers rather better and why
we only ever needed a pair of mid units.

Graham