Posted to alt.support.hearing-loss,rec.audio.tech
Bell

Default Does A Device Like This Actually Exist?

"Bell" wrote in message

And can I get these sounds and play them on PC?

I want to repel some teenagers )

New gadget repels teenagers

A new gadget repels gangs of teenagers by emitting a high-pitched noise
that can be heard only by under 20s.

Police are backing the Sonic Teenager Deterrent, nicknamed the Mosquito
because of its sound, reports the Daily Telegraph.

It annoys teenagers so intensely they have to clutch their ears.
Eventually they can stand it no longer and have to move on.

But because the body's natural ability to detect some frequency wave bands
diminishes almost entirely after 20, adults are completely immune.

The £622 black box, which can be attached to the outside wall of shops,
offices and homes, sends out 80-decibel bursts of pulsing sounds at up to
16khz.

It sounds to youngsters like a demented insect or a very badly-played
violin.

Howard Stapleton, a businessman and former electronics apprentice at
British Aerospace, who was sick of youths hanging around outside his shop,
came up with the idea.

Working in his bedroom in Merthyr Tydfil, and using his four children as
guinea pigs, he came up with a prototype of his device and asked the local
shop to test it.

"I got it so that only my kids hated it and my fianceé and I were
completely unperturbed," he said. "We put up the prototype outside the
store and almost immediately people stopped congregating.

"The beauty of it is that the noise does not have to be loud, just pitched
at the right level which affects teenagers."

Posted to alt.support.hearing-loss,rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Bell" wrote ...
"Bell" wrote ...

And can I get these sounds and play them on PC?

I want to repel some teenagers )

Any kind of ultrasonic varmint/insect repeller device would
likely work. Whether teenagers qualify as "varmints" and/or
"insects" is left as an exercise for the reader.

[...]

Similar effects from playing the right ("wrong") kind of music.
I love the Wendy's by my neighborhood which plays chamber
music (string quartets, etc.) Not many teenagers hanging about :-)

And at least in our town (Portland, OR), you can use classical
music to discourage the transients from using your sidewalk in
lieu of a toilet where other methods have been banned by the
city. Fidel Castro couldn't get elected to mayor here, he is too
conservative.

Posted to alt.support.hearing-loss,rec.audio.tech
jim

"Similar effects from playing the right ("wrong") kind of music.
I love the Wendy's by my neighborhood which plays chamber
music (string quartets, etc.) Not many teenagers hanging about :-) "

Great story!

(J. S. Bach and the boys must be thrilled.)

Posted to alt.support.hearing-loss,rec.audio.tech
mc

A new gadget repels gangs of teenagers by emitting a high-pitched noise
that can be heard only by under 20s.

Police are backing the Sonic Teenager Deterrent, nicknamed the Mosquito
because of its sound, reports the Daily Telegraph.

Any 20 kHz oscillator fed to an amplifier and a good tweeter will work. But
it might not be safe. If it's loud enough to annoy teenagers, it's probably
loud enough to cause some unwanted wear and tear on the ears even if you
can't hear it yourself.

Posted to alt.support.hearing-loss,rec.audio.tech
Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:53:30 -0500, "mc"
wrote:

Similar effects from playing the right ("wrong") kind of music.
I love the Wendy's by my neighborhood which plays chamber
music (string quartets, etc.) Not many teenagers hanging about :-)

We have one of those. People of all ages go there to eat; the music doesn't
repel young people. But it does seem to discourage antisocial types from
"hanging around."

And at least in our town (Portland, OR), you can use classical
music to discourage the transients from using your sidewalk in
lieu of a toilet where other methods have been banned by the
city. Fidel Castro couldn't get elected to mayor here, he is too
conservative.

What are the other methods that were banned?

Pest control in Oregon generally involves the use of rifles.......

Posted to alt.support.hearing-loss,rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote ...
Pest control in Oregon generally involves the use of rifles.......

That stereotype is rather outdated, thanks to modern liberal
politics. Sometimes Hollywood is slow to pick these things
up. :-)

In the geographic (red) majority of the state, perhaps, but
not in the blue parts (Portland, Eugene, etc.) They are even
questioning why the police should carry guns. Remember that
PDX is the only city in the country who refuses to cooperate
with the FBI to counter terrorism. And we have the single
largest gang of them convicted to date, no help from the state
or city governments.

Come to think of it, no, not even in the rural (red=conservative)
parts anymore. The vote-majority city-slickers have passed laws
protecting the varmints to the point where livestock and even
humans are at danger from predatory animals to a heretofore
unprecedented rate. When skiers start getting picked off by
mountain lions, they may change their tune. :-)

Posted to alt.support.hearing-loss,rec.audio.tech
Bell

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
A new gadget repels gangs of teenagers by emitting a high-pitched noise
that can be heard only by under 20s.

Police are backing the Sonic Teenager Deterrent, nicknamed the Mosquito
because of its sound, reports the Daily Telegraph.

Any 20 kHz oscillator fed to an amplifier and a good tweeter will work.
But it might not be safe. If it's loud enough to annoy teenagers, it's
probably loud enough to cause some unwanted wear and tear on the ears even
if you can't hear it yourself.

Supposedly it doesn't have to be very loud. 80-decibel bursts of pulsing
sounds at up to
16khz.

But you ever notice that teenagers like bass while it annoys most adults?

Posted to alt.support.hearing-loss,rec.audio.tech
Walt

Bell wrote:
"mc" wrote

A new gadget repels gangs of teenagers by emitting a high-pitched noise
that can be heard only by under 20s.

Police are backing the Sonic Teenager Deterrent, nicknamed the Mosquito
because of its sound, reports the Daily Telegraph.

Any 20 kHz oscillator fed to an amplifier and a good tweeter will work.
But it might not be safe. If it's loud enough to annoy teenagers, it's
probably loud enough to cause some unwanted wear and tear on the ears even
if you can't hear it yourself.

Supposedly it doesn't have to be very loud. 80-decibel bursts of pulsing
sounds at up to
16khz.

It's just a high frequency noise generator. The premise is that older
people can't hear above 12k or so while teenagers can. Not a very good
premise, IMHO. Some adults keep their high frequency hearing abilities,
whilk some teenagers are deaf as a rock.

Put on Paul Harvey. That'll drive away anybody under 60.

//Walt
Posted to alt.support.hearing-loss,rec.audio.tech
Bell

"Walt" wrote in message
Bell wrote:
"mc" wrote
[...]

Harvey's good ) But I think one of those radio preachers would work. Is
Swaggert or the Rev. Moon around?

//Walt