u235vu239 u235vu239 is offline
Junior Member

Default mission m70

I was thinking about buying a pair of Mission m70 speakers for 40euros.
Are they ok, despite the small size? I'm gonna use them with a pioneer SA-410 integrated amplifier. What do you guys think? D'you have any experience with them?

Thanks

Last edited by u235vu239 : February 6th 06 at 08:01 PM
Posted to rec.audio.tech
harrogate2

--
u235vu239

Almost any Mission speakers would be regarded as 'respectable.'
Whether you like the sound they produce or not is another matter, but
if you just want something to play music and you are not too critical
(i.e. they may sound OK with middle-of-the-road music, lighter
classical and easy listening/light jazz at normal listening levels,
but not if you want full-blooded rock, full bore classical, or
detailed jazz at high level) then they are a gift, assuming they are
undamaged. Make sure if you can before buying that (a) they work OK
and (b) that the speaker surrounds are still intact.

If you do buy them put them on decent stands and park them well away
from any wall. If you don't they will 'boom.'

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

u235vu239 u235vu239 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
if you just want something to play music and you are not too critical
(i.e. they may sound OK with middle-of-the-road music, lighter
classical and easy listening/light jazz at normal listening levels,
but not if you want ) then they are a gift
Oh, I really like "full-blooded rock, full bore classical, or
detailed jazz at high level". I shouldn't buy them, then?

Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Spiderant

I have a pair of the M70's in my study and they're sitting on my
bookshelves. They are front ported and, although I'm sure they'd sound
better on stands, they still sound fine as they are. They can handle volume
well and project more sound than appearances say they should. I listen
almost exclusively to classical, especially "full blown" classical (I'm
currently listen to a Robert Simpson symphony). Compared to my budget
Athena AS-B2's in my living room system (Yamaha AX-596 Amp), the Missions
are darker sounding, and may not be as articulate. Yet they are certainly
warmer and they are very pleasant to listen to, but that may also because of
the amp (NAD 3020) I'm using. When I do my serious listening, I use
headphones (Sennheiser 580's/Cambridge Audio D500 CD player/Musical Fidelity
X-Cans V3 Headphone Amp), which give me more detail, but also make the music
sound brighter and even edgier at times. The M70's are a great value and I
would recommend giving them a listen.

Regards,

Roland Goetz.

"u235vu239" wrote in message

if you just want something to play music and you are not too critical
(i.e. they may sound OK with middle-of-the-road music, lighter
classical and easy listening/light jazz at normal listening levels,
but not if you want ) then they are a gift

Oh, I really like "full-blooded rock, full bore classical, or
detailed jazz at high level". I shouldn't buy them, then?

Thanks

--
u235vu239

u235vu239 u235vu239 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:

If you do buy them put them on decent stands and park them well away
from any wall. If you don't they will 'boom.'

What do you mean by "they will boom"?
15 cm away from the wall isn't enough?

by the way, I bought them. I think it was a nice deal, as they don't sell for less than 100euros on ebay. I payed 40euros and they're like new.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by u235vu239 : February 13th 06 at 08:36 PM