Default Can we nail what works on ABSE?

John Stewart wrote:
" wrote:

Yo, Patrick:

This sounds interesting but it isn't on the ABSE available to me
(Syracuse U). Can you please send the schemo to my mailbox:

Thanks.

Andre Jute

Same at this location. After several daze still nothing at ABSE. Not

sure
why.
Please send along your schemo. Thanx, John Stewart

I can see the usual silicon clowns commenting on Patrick's circuit on
ABSE, but there is a blank in the position where he posted the circuit.
This is not the first time. Many other times I see the poster saying
'here it is' but the code for the graphic has been stripped out.

I'm starting to wonder if some ISPs, including all those on which I can
access ABSE, have restrictions on what they will download. For
instance, I have never been able to download a JPG from ABSE. In fact,
the only time I ever found anything I wanted on ABSE it was because
someone had taken a JPG and turned it into a GIF, then reposted. I
imagine he did that for a reason.

It's a pain having to to presume on people's goodwill to make a second
effort, after already posting to ABSE, to send schematics to one's
mailbox as well. Does anyone know the lowest common denominator of
graphics format that all ISPs which carry ABSE will transmit?

I should note that I couldn't even see on ABSE graphics I posted up
myself. I shortcut this problem by setting up a netsite at
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/
to park schematics and photos, which turned out to be useful for my
KISS project
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/KISS 100.htm

Andre Jute

Jon Yaeger

I'm starting to wonder if some ISPs, including all those on which I can
access ABSE, have restrictions on what they will download. For
instance, I have never been able to download a JPG from ABSE. In fact,
the only time I ever found anything I wanted on ABSE it was because
someone had taken a JPG and turned it into a GIF, then reposted. I
imagine he did that for a reason.

It's a pain having to to presume on people's goodwill to make a second
effort, after already posting to ABSE, to send schematics to one's
mailbox as well. Does anyone know the lowest common denominator of
graphics format that all ISPs which carry ABSE will transmit?

It seems to vary with the service provider.

Note that sometimes it takes a while to see a large file on ABSE, because it
downloads it into your browser. If you aren't patient you might overlook
it.

I've had good luck with posting .jpgs and .pdfs on Bellsouth. Can't speak
for the others.

Since you are a Mac user, you might look into a graphics program called
Canvas by Deneba Software. I use it for schematic layouts and it permits
you to save in a wide variety of graphics formats, including .pdfs. They
have free Mac & Windows eval copies. It is one of the few graphics programs
that is available for both platforms, and it's very easy to use.

What, no personal dig?

;-)

Jon

J.Koning

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

For Patricks 27W PP amp. have a look at:
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/group...lectronic.html
Looks funny though, but at least it's there.

If you do a google search with "alt.binaries.schematics.electronic" as the
search argument you might find more.

Rgds,
Jan.

Patrick Turner

" wrote:

John Stewart wrote:
" wrote:

[...]

When ABSE works, jpg always is ok.

Groups with smiling sheilas such as alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.blondes
have jpg as the usual binary images, or Y-enc.
jpg has been around for yonks, and when abse has worked for me
I have never had any trouble with it.

gif is also ok, and maybe pdf.

When I just went to the bulletin board list for ABSE,
my post is listed, and it is the last post listed, so I have no clue
what the silicon idiots are saying, and i don't care.
So my list is a day behind, and the post has already expired.

I have complained to my ISP about the ****house service he gives me,
and for which I pay, but nothing can be done.

But my latest posted schematic amoungst
a pile of other schemos are at the archives of abse at

http://www.usenet-replayer.com/cgi/content/archive

I suggest that anyone having trouble should check there.

For better access to obscure binaries groups,
perhaps one has to pay to subscribe to a news group access site
that will give the proper access.

I get ****ed off with ISPs who clain usernet groups are old hat and
becoming
redundant.

I used to get r.a.t, which is a text only group,
from news.individual.net which is based at Berlin uni. They then decided to
make ppl
pay, and now charge nearly a euro per month.
But they said they had 250,000 subscribers while it was free, just for text
only
access, and that's only one institution based service.
So ISP ppl who claim usernet access is a dying thing are just trying to
evade their
duty to give it to us; they are often lazy and incompetent.

My ISP now gives me fair r.a.t access, but abse is very patchy.
But as i said, my schemo post is in the archives, and accessable.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner

"J.Koning" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

For Patricks 27W PP amp. have a look at:
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/group...lectronic.html
Looks funny though, but at least it's there.

It looks fine to me, exactly as i prepared it from a scanned drawing.

Patrick Turner.

If you do a google search with "alt.binaries.schematics.electronic" as the
search argument you might find more.

Rgds,
Jan.

Thanks, Jan. I found it at replayer. It looks okay to me, just the same
as Patrick sent me by e-mail. I'm bookimarking replayer, because I'm
sure I'll need it again.

Despite Patrick himself now being able to see his schemo on ABSE via
his ISP. I still can't see it on ABSE.

What we can conclude so far is that it isn't the graphics format that
matters but some kind of a pipelining problem, which I suspect lies
with the ISPs. Damned irritating, I must say.

Andre Jute

J.Koning wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

For Patricks 27W PP amp. have a look at:

http://www.usenet-replayer.com/group...lectronic.html
Looks funny though, but at least it's there.

If you do a google search with "alt.binaries.schematics.electronic"

as the
search argument you might find more.

Rgds,
Jan.

J.Koning

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

"J.Koning" wrote:

For Patricks 27W PP amp. have a look at:

http://www.usenet-replayer.com/group...lectronic.html
Looks funny though, but at least it's there.

It looks fine to me, exactly as i prepared it from a scanned drawing.

Slight misunderstanding maybe?
"Looks funny though...", I meant the site, not the schematic.
Well, what can one expect from an anglo-alien?

Rgds,
Jan.

J.Koning

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

What we can conclude so far is that it isn't the graphics format that
matters but some kind of a pipelining problem, which I suspect lies
with the ISPs. Damned irritating, I must say.

With my previous provider, due frequent "breakdowns"
for bin's, I used http://news.individual.net/ as a backup.
A f.o.c. service in those days, not so at present.

Also I used http://www.teranews.com/
Did'nt have a close look but it seems nowadays
they charge a one time subscription fee of $3.95

My present provider is flawless, no need for seconds.

Rgds,
Jan.

Patrick Turner

"J.Koning" wrote:

For Patricks 27W PP amp. have a look at:

http://www.usenet-replayer.com/group...lectronic.html
Looks funny though, but at least it's there.

It looks fine to me, exactly as i prepared it from a scanned drawing.

Slight misunderstanding maybe?
"Looks funny though...", I meant the site, not the schematic.
Well, what can one expect from an anglo-alien?

Oh, I se what you mean.

Being Orstraylian was once an alien Englisman crossed with an Irishman and Scot.

Now there's a lotta Italigermasiapoligreeky in Oz ppl now though.

Patrick Turner, tree quarters Irish, and 2 turds English, to be sure.

Rgds,
Jan.

Iain M Churches

"J.Koning" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

For Patricks 27W PP amp. have a look at:
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/group...lectronic.html
Looks funny though, but at least it's there.

If you do a google search with "alt.binaries.schematics.electronic" as the
search argument you might find more.

Rgds,
Jan.

Thanks for the tip.
I was able to find it on the Usenet-replayer.
MY ISP does not offer ABSE.

Iain