Ben

Default Old style rotary attenuators

Those rotary "step" faders used in all kinds of consoles back in the
day.. especially broadcast consoles. You know, the kind where you could
trist the back off to get at the wiper and contacts to clean them...
Who made them, and is it possible to still get them (without buying a
huge, ancient broadcast console and taking it apart)?

Thanks
-Ben

Steve King

"Ben" wrote in message

Those rotary "step" faders used in all kinds of consoles back in the
day.. especially broadcast consoles. You know, the kind where you could
trist the back off to get at the wiper and contacts to clean them...
Who made them, and is it possible to still get them (without buying a
huge, ancient broadcast console and taking it apart)?

Thanks
-Ben

The ones in the Gates, Collins, and RCA broadcast consoles were made by
Daven, I believe. They are available used, though it tears me up to see
the price of the 0-110 dB units he
http://www.ltech-electronics.ca/cgi-...ry=AF_Variable

I threw out a half-dozen or so not too many years ago.

Steve King

Harvey Gerst

Ben wrote:

Those rotary "step" faders used in all kinds of consoles back in the
day.. especially broadcast consoles. You know, the kind where you could
trist the back off to get at the wiper and contacts to clean them...
Who made them, and is it possible to still get them (without buying a
huge, ancient broadcast console and taking it apart)?

Thanks
-Ben

Daven pots - God, I loved the feel of those things. Scott Dorsey will know
where to get them, I'll bet.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/
Steve King

"Harvey Gerst" wrote in message
Ben wrote:

Those rotary "step" faders used in all kinds of consoles back in the
day.. especially broadcast consoles. You know, the kind where you could
trist the back off to get at the wiper and contacts to clean them...
Who made them, and is it possible to still get them (without buying a
huge, ancient broadcast console and taking it apart)?

Thanks
-Ben

Daven pots - God, I loved the feel of those things. Scott Dorsey will

know
where to get them, I'll bet.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

They did have a feel to them, didn't they. Remember the knurled nut on the
back that allowed one to remove the casing to clean the contacts?

Steve King

Steve King

Ben wrote:

Those rotary "step" faders used in all kinds of consoles back in the
day.. especially broadcast consoles. You know, the kind where you

could
trist the back off to get at the wiper and contacts to clean them...
Who made them, and is it possible to still get them (without buying a
huge, ancient broadcast console and taking it apart)?

Thanks
-Ben

Daven pots - God, I loved the feel of those things. Scott Dorsey will

know
where to get them, I'll bet.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

This seems to be where Daven attenuators ended up:
http://www.shallco.com/profile.html

Steve King

John Noll

Ben wrote:

Those rotary "step" faders used in all kinds of consoles back in the
day.. especially broadcast consoles. You know, the kind where you could
trist the back off to get at the wiper and contacts to clean them... Who
made them, and is it possible to still get them (without buying a huge,
ancient broadcast console and taking it apart)?

Thanks
-Ben

Daven and Shallco. They pop up on eBay quite regularly for $20-$35 or
so, sometimes N.O.S. in boxes.

John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ 07701

Phone: 732-842-3853 Fax: 732-842-5631

http://www.retromedia.net

Twist Turner

They are Shallco now. Very expensive, something like $150 a pop. Used
ones turn up on ebay everyday though. I"ve been using them in some of
the mic pre's I've racked for my personal use when I can dig up the
right values.

http://www.vintagemicsales.com

Scott Dorsey

In article , Ben wrote:

Those rotary "step" faders used in all kinds of consoles back in the
day.. especially broadcast consoles. You know, the kind where you could
trist the back off to get at the wiper and contacts to clean them...
Who made them, and is it possible to still get them (without buying a
huge, ancient broadcast console and taking it apart)?

Lots of companies made them. Daven probably made more of them than anyone
else. Shallco bought Daven, and they have a wide variety of different types
and tapers available. I think Elna also makes some nice stepped attenuators
too.
Ben

Wow, talk about quick response! Thanks a lot everyone. Yes, they do
have a special feel which I like, and I was thinking it would be nice to
incorporate this kind of fader into some projects. I also like the look
of the old knobs and number plates... $150 a piece is way too much for
a lark though, I guess I'll keep my eye open for bargains...

Thanks

-Ben