Adam Drake

Default Good audio test software?

Hi,

After reading about the need to test S/N ratios on audio equipment, I
thought I'd ask the NG for some recommendations on good audio test
software? What do people use? Any good freeware or do I need to spend
some money? Personal preferences?

Thanks,

Adam
reply:
Arny Krueger

Adam Drake wrote:

After reading about the need to test S/N ratios on audio equipment, I
thought I'd ask the NG for some recommendations on good audio test
software? What do people use? Any good freeware or do I need to spend
some money? Personal preferences?

Here's the free download:

http://audio.rightmark.org/download.shtml

This software will do a quick automated analysis of any piece of audio gear.
The tests are quite extensive including both SNR and dynamic rnage.

It was designed to test sound cards by looping the output of the sound card
to its input. You should do that first, in order to learn how the software
works and find
out how good your soundcard is.

However, any piece of gear you hook between the output and input of your
sound card can be tested with this software. The software presumes that it
has unity gain (input voltage = output voltage), but if the gear has more
gain, use a simple attenuator. A simple attenuator that often works well at
either the input or output of a piece of gear is a 5K 2watt AB type
potentiometer, like this one:

http://www.jameco.com/cgi-bin/ncomme...s=503;518;686;

Arny Krueger

Adam Drake wrote:

[...]

Comments regarding: Cables, Hearing, Stuff!! lcw999 High End Audio 405 April 29th 04 01:27 AM
Richman's ethical lapses Michael McKelvy Audio Opinions 9 December 12th 03 08:16 AM
New Audio Editing Software, Dexster Softdiv Pro Audio 0 September 3rd 03 07:46 PM
PC audio test software Geoff Wood Tech 1 August 29th 03 02:10 PM
Newbie question: system upgrade Ted Van Norman High End Audio 5 July 17th 03 02:14 AM