Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Comcast no longer supports Usenet - What are others using for access

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I'll bet they had to hire extra people to answer all the phone
calls from clueless customers.

Not to mention hire extra people who actually knew what NNTP is ...

Panix has support staff who know what NNTP is, and you can even talk to
them on the telephone when something goes wrong. They have real technicians
who actually know about computers. It is the kind of support that people
used to expect from internet services when the ISP was a new concept. Except
it's still like that, today.

There are still a few good guys. My ISP. Idnet in the UK doesn't have a news
server but are to my knowledge the only ISP to state that they monitor traffic to
ensure it never exceeds their capacity. It's only a few pounds more than other
serious offerings too.

Example .....
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/co...commit=Compare

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Eeyore wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

[...]

Are Idnet the most expensive UK ISP? I would expect liveried servants to
deliver the posts to my favourite arm chair for what they charge...

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

[...]

Not even remotely. Their charges and service for same match or better very closely another well-regarded
provider Zen. Look at their clients list btw.

If you want to see scary prices go to Andrews and Arnold. You get what you pay for. No 2 months of misery which
my neighbour had with Tiscali with Idnet. They aim to have a BT engineer out if required with 24-48 hours. In
fact that fixed a fault Plusnet had been unable to deal with for some 2 months too. That's why I left Plusnet
and the monthly charge only went up by £3. It took the BT engineer about 15 mins to detect and fix the fault
from my description of it too. Having seen their performance 24/7 I see no compelling reason right now to
change.

As I said, you get what you pay for. And if you're with NTL, sorry Virgin, keep an eagle eye on those bills for
spurious charges.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,alt.audio.pro.live-sound

Eeyore wrote:
[...]

Plusnet did go through a bad patch for quite a while, but I can say that
for the better part of a year now I haven't had a single disconnection
or any other kind of loss of service. I don't use them for email so I
don't know how well that works, but for everything else they are great.

NNTP is now outsourced to Giganews; they have dropped their internal
servers for which we were all thankful as they simply couldn't manage
them. If they ever drop NNTP entirely, I shall simply move to
individual.net.