Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dan Dan is offline

Default TEAC 80-8 -- is this normal?

Hi all,

Is it normal for the capstan motor to continually spin when the power
is turned on? Also, is it normal for the recorder to fully engage, in
all modes, including FF / REW and also PLAY, when you press the
buttons but where no reels or tape is mounted and that no tension arm
is lifted? If I'm not mistaken, for many, if not all such recorders,
don't you actually have to lift the right tension arm in order for the
transport section to react?

Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Sep 21, 3:08 pm, Dan wrote:

Is it normal for the capstan motor to continually spin when the power
is turned on?

I don't remember but it's possible.

Also, is it normal for the recorder to fully engage, in
all modes, including FF / REW and also PLAY, when you press the
buttons but where no reels or tape is mounted and that no tension arm
is lifted?

No, that's not normal. Actually, I think it may spin for a second or
so, but shut off immediately since it (supposedly) detected that
there's no tape loaded. I got rid of my 80-8 and manuals about 20
years ago so my memory is kind of foggy, but I'm pretty sure the
takeup tension arm is where the tape sensor is.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Dan" wrote ...
Is it normal for the capstan motor to continually spin when the power
is turned on?

I don't know about that specific model, but many R2R recorders
run the capstan whenever the machine power is applied. But some
only when tape is threaded.

Also, is it normal for the recorder to fully engage, in
all modes, including FF / REW and also PLAY, when you press the
buttons but where no reels or tape is mounted and that no tension arm
is lifted? If I'm not mistaken, for many, if not all such recorders,
don't you actually have to lift the right tension arm in order for the
transport section to react?

It seems unlikely that the transport should run in any of those
modes without tape threaded. Sounds like a switch is broken,
etc. That very well may affect the continuous-running capstan,
also.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dan Dan is offline

Mike, Richard:

Thanks for confirming this, guys. I really appreciate it.

Dan
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Dan wrote:

Is it normal for the capstan motor to continually spin when the power
is turned on? Also, is it normal for the recorder to fully engage, in
all modes, including FF / REW and also PLAY, when you press the
buttons but where no reels or tape is mounted and that no tension arm
is lifted? If I'm not mistaken, for many, if not all such recorders,
don't you actually have to lift the right tension arm in order for the
transport section to react?

This is the case for some machines, but I believe the 80-8 has a microswitch
on one of the tension arms that shuts it off. Odds are the switch is dirty
and sticking. Probably just in need of a full cleaning and lube.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dan Dan is offline

On Sep 21, 5:39*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

This is the case for some machines, but I believe the 80-8 has a microswitch
on one of the tension arms that shuts it off. *Odds are the switch is dirty
and sticking. *Probably just in need of a full cleaning and lube.
--scott

Thanks Scott.